• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Concord can (theoretically) succeed...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I can't disagree with anything you said, it's pretty reasonable.

I'm just honestly baffled by how boring the characters look... I'm not joking, this game has the most boring character designs I ever seen in any video game, ever.

There's no personality in them whatsoever. Even if the gameplay is good, who will I even play as?

fluxflashor_20240530181119.webp

Like, look at them, dude. Just mind-numbingly boring...

(I won't go on about how 90% of the characters are black, we know, Sweet Baby, their form of diversity is also mind-numbingly boring)
I'm with you. I think they generally look pretty bad too. However...

1_279.jpg

Is EXACTLY as much fun as...

s-l400.png

If the gameplay loop is good the game will succeed. Just like every other gaas game.

I hope they add 10 other characters with different pronouns just to see this forum melt down. Who gives shit about narrative focus in a gaas game?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

^ LOL how do you know the men in the game are "retarded". From that trailer.

Lizard man seems like he is trying to be a Van Wilder type Star Lord ripoff. Do we know that the characters shown are all of the characters?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I didn't say it was too soon, I said it was tasteless. No matter how long after, using the moment people died to make a stupid joke about a video game reveal will always be tasteless. Did you even know it was the Challenger disaster? Maybe you just googled rocket explosion and went with it. Plenty of non fatal rocket failures you could have picked in those results.
I'm sorry, I grew up in the 90's. I don't speak this language of yours.

^ LOL how do you know the men in the game are "retarded". From that trailer.

Lizard man seems like he is trying to be a Van Wilder type Star Lord ripoff. Do we know that the characters shown are all of the characters?

The biguy is a ripoff of drax, who is retarded
Starlord is a retard but funny. Lizard guy is just a tryhard retard.

JCreasy

I’m hyped. Love the character designs.

I’m the kind of person that buys Call of Duty for the character select menu. Love interesting looking character models.

I’m geeking out on the texture materials and the hair. Black hair in this game is looking amazing. That’s already a notable achievement 💪🏾🙏🏾

Roxkis_ii

It won’t succeed. Gameplay looked terrible, too much “woke” stuff for most people.
Off topic but you know people said the same thing about about how woke Spiderman 2 is, and yet it still sold 11 million. If it's good enough, people look past it.

I think it people are alot more tolerant then you give them credit for.

On topic, the thing that's makes this game unattractive to me are the character designs. None of them look attractive to me. But I felt the same way about how people looked in apex legends when it first came out too, so maybe there is some hope.

I also think just being in the hero shooter genre works against them as well. People talk shit about blizzard, but they polished the fuck out of overwatch. So much so that any other game in the genre looks like it came from temu in comparison.

Another thing this trailer made me concider, is maybe live service games arent aimed at adults. We only have so much free time, but kids, they can no life games. So maybe I'm just not in the target demographic anymore.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
  1. The game characters are as inoffensive as possible
  2. Character selection is dominated by diverse women, but not actually diverse because they're mostly black.
  3. Pronouns
  4. The few men in the game are retarded
  1. Name a modern hero shooter with offensive characters
  2. I went to check and count(fuck you for making me do that btw). Out of the 16 you can choose from, 8 are identifiably women. Only 2 look like black women. At least 1 has "undecided" as a pronoun.
  3. Who the fuck cares. Doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it makes some people feel good to see it included, so why not? Doesn't change anything for anyone else
  4. Based on what?

1. Name a modern hero shooter with offensive characters
  2. I went to check and count(fuck you for making me do that btw). Out of the 16 you can choose from, 8 are identifiably women. Only 2 look like black women. At least 1 has "undecided" as a pronoun.
  3. Who the fuck cares. Doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it makes some people feel good to see it included, so why not? Doesn't change anything for anyone else
  4. Based on what?

He asked for the woke points. Those are the woke points.

And yes the men are retarded. A stupid looking fish and a drax wannabe.

Pedro Motta

When I saw all the trailers from anouncement leading up to release of Helldivers 2, I thought it looked like janky boring shit GaaS. Turns out it played beautifully and extremely fun, and probably the game I spent more hours on this year.

So, I'll just shut the fuck up until this one comes out.

Loomy

Off topic but you know people said the same thing about about how woke Spiderman 2 is, and yet it still sold 11 million. If it's good enough, people look past it.
Spiderman 2 had a couple gay kids, Black Cat had a girlfriend, and Miles had a deaf girlfriend. Oh, and a blind old woman. That's what people were upset about.

recursive

I have a rule where I wait a minimum of 35 years before joking about disasters. The Concorde crash is too soon. That would be ill befitting.

Ouch, I just got Jason Shreiered by a fellow NeoGAFian.

Mom, we have PUBG at home (Fortnite)"
Nah you got called out for tasteless bullshit.

It just needs to be good....REALLY GOOD when it comes to being an Arena 5v5 hero shooter with strategy asymmetric gameplay combined with a deep progression system and reason to come back into it.

If they can deliver near best in class for this, then I and many others can ignore the aesthetics. The graphics engine and lighting looks smooth and very nice, just the artstyle is cornball + avowed coloring.

Roxkis_ii

Spiderman 2 had a couple gay kids, Black Cat had a girlfriend, and Miles had a deaf girlfriend. Oh, and a blind old woman. That's what people were upset about.

I understood what woke was when old black people were saying it in the 90's. I don't really understand what it means now a days.

Reading on stuff on neogaf, it seem like content not aim specifically at stright white males audiences is always deemed as woke.

I sometimes get irritated seeing "go woke go broke" when something flops, but crickets when supposedly woke stuff succeeds (like spiderman 2).

I don't know why I even responded to the the first post. Or why it brother me when people talk about woke stuff. I think I have some internal examination I need to do on the subject.

Loomy

It just needs to be good....REALLY GOOD when it comes to being an Arena 5v5 hero shooter with strategy asymmetric gameplay combined with a deep progression system and reason to come back into it.

If they can deliver near best in class for this, then I and many others can ignore the aesthetics. The graphics engine and lighting looks smooth and very nice, just the artstyle is cornball + avowed coloring.
That's really what it'll come down to. Even if it is, they'll be trying to pull people with thousands or tens of thousands of hours in Overwatch, Valorant, Apex away from games they've mastered. This game has many uphill battles ahead of it.

In terms of looks, they're probably aiming to have this thing run on a Texas Instrument calculator at high FPS. People had very similar complaints when Valorant was in beta back in 2020. If the game is good like you described, people will overlook the graphics/art direction.

(I won't go on about how 90% of the characters are black, we know, Sweet Baby, their form of diversity is also mind-numbingly boring)
There’s a max of 2-3 black characters, or is your mind so warped, that you think latinos and asians are black too.
The game seems like it is open to major criticism for looking unoriginal/generic but other than that I don't get it.
This is the only problem, something Helldivers was being criticized of too, but the one’s who played the first one knew that the gameplay loop would be tight.

Apex and Siege are “hero” hooters that I hope this game takes major influence from, I simply couldn’t get into Overwatch.
Sometimes I hate you and sometimes I love you.
you both need to make love.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How do the PS fans call it? Brand devaluation? Because a monumental live service flop from a Sony studio would cause quite some damage.
No more than Returnal, Demon's Souls, Forespoken, Rise of the Ronin etc... Flops are forgotten by fans quickly, less so by publishers.

What woke stuff? I missed it in the showcase yesterday.

The character designs and pronoun stuff. Mind you, idc about any of that stuff. Felt cringe just typing it, that’s why I put it in quotations. But the backlash so far, honestly I can’t tell if it’s more about the shitty looking gameplay or the “woke” stuff. For me it’s more about how it just looks like a boring OW or Valorant clone.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
No more than Returnal, Demon's Souls, Forespoken, Rise of the Ronin etc... Flops are forgotten by fans quickly, less so by publishers.
Returnal and Demon souls were still critical successes. ForEspoken and Rise of the Ronin aren't made by a playstation studios developer.

We're talking about a company who made its name investing on Single Player games and now decided to enter into GAAS, to much fan backlash. This is their very first Playstation studios GAAS (since Arrowhead doesn't belong to Sony). Imagine how it would look for them if this flopped, not just in terms of criticism but specially player count. This is shaping up to be another Suicide Squad.

Last edited:

Loomy

The character designs and pronoun stuff. Mind you, idc about any of that stuff. Felt cringe just typing it, that’s why I put it in quotations. But the backlash so far, honestly I can’t tell if it’s more about the shitty looking gameplay or the “woke” stuff. For me it’s more about how it just looks like a boring OW or Valorant clone.
Right now there's nothing interesting about the game. We'll see in July.

Killjoy-NL

The success or failure of Concord isn't going to be judged based on a gameplay trailer. If it has a successful beta, it's going to have a successful launch, if it has a successful launch it's anyone's bet.

People pretending that this is DOA before ever playing it are fooling themselves.

I think the biggest question mark which is either a major red flag or a major sign of strength is that the beta is limited to those who pre-order (and their 4 friends).

I think we know it isn't going to be F2P, so the next question is going to be what is the price of the game and how do they justify the price of the game against Apex Legends, Valorant, and Overwatch 2, all of which are free to play. This will almost certainly limit their player base or at least it should in theory.
Is the beta only accessible through pre-ordering, or was it early access to the open beta for pre-orders?

With all the drama, I'm actually on the fence to pre-order it just to check out the beta when the time comes.
(Couldn't give two fucks about wasting money even at full-price)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Returnal and Demon souls were still critical successes. ForEspoken and Rise of the Ronin aren't made by a playstation studios developer.

We're talking about a company who made its name investing on Single Player games and now decided to enter into GAAS, to much fan backlash. This is their very first Playstation studios GAAS (since Arrowhead doesn't belong to Sony). Imagine how it would look for them if this flopped, not just in terms of criticism but specially player count. This is shaping up to be another Suicide Squad.
Yeah, 99.9 percent of gamers don't know or care about 1st party vs 2nd party.

The only blowback a flop would produce is by the anti GAAS crowd online who blows everything related to this stuff out of proportion anyway. Those people are generally irrelevant considering how much they dislike the planets most successful games.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200128114911-01-space-shuttle-challenger-restricted.jpg

(Photo of Concords reveal at yesterdays State of Play)

The internet has been deservingly rough on Concords debut. Instead of piling on, I thought it might be more interesting to envision a scenario where Concord succeeds and grab a foothold in the market. There's 3 core pillars in what makes a compelling multiplayer title...

PlayStyle asymmetry - We saw gameplay from the perspective of 5 characters. Vale (Sniper, Proxy mine), Lennox (Pistol, Axe), Haymar (Crossbow, Flashbang), Star Child (Grenade launcher, Hulk leap), and 1-Off (Vacuum gun, launch pad). I suspect what they're going with here is a MOBA like setup where each character has specific roles (warden, anchor, ranger, breacher, tactician) as well as a primary, secondary, utility, and movement abilities. From my perspective, they all played relatively similarly and the asymmetry is nothing to write home about. Here's what they have to say about on the PlayStation Blog...

"While our core gunplay will feel familiar to shooter fans, the versatility and variety of each Freegunner and their abilities makes it so aim and thumbskill alone aren’t always enough to come out on top. Each Freegunner’s abilities are designed to make it so that players of a wide range of skill levels and play styles can be effective—even those that are new to the genre—while providing additional challenge and depth for those looking for high-stakes, high-sweat competitive play."

That quote is significantly more interesting than the gameplay we saw. The trailer did not showcase anything special about playstyle asymmetry more than what's already standard in the industry. If Concord is going to launch, the other 11 characters really need to play and feel vastly different than the 5 that were showcased.

Progression - Games that make the player feel like they're progressing from hour 100 to hour 300 have a massive competitive advantage over games that start to feel repetitive at hour 30. At this point, we know nothing about Concords progression. Here's what they mention on the blog...

"The Freegunners roam the stars taking high-stakes jobs on worlds across Wild space, where they face other fiercely competitive Freegunner crews. From match-to-match, you’ll form your team of Freegunners with other players and battle it out with rival crews to take home the reward across a variety of maps and modes."

If Firewalk can legitimately create "high-stakes" jobs, meaning the player will lose a lot if they fail (think Escape from Tarkov), then they could have something interesting. If the stakes boil down to something like Overwatch, where your rank goes up or down slightly after every match, the game will wallow. It's possible that Firewalk is doing something interesting with the ships, though the fact that everyone ship is called "The Northstar" doesn't fill me with confidence.

Social Aspect - Humans are the most social animal on earth. A game that encourages social interactions has a distinct advantage over one that doesn't. The theme of Concord (Guardians of the Galaxy) certainly lends itself to players getting to know one another, and the gameplay is slow enough to encourage teamplay tactics...so they might have something here. It's possible the trailer was meant to be a Michael Bay action movie where the public is supposed to be wowed by chaos and the actual gameplay is much more teamwork oriented.

I also don't think the Sweet Baby Incification will hurt the games chances. Multiplayer gamers are better equipped to ignore that stuff if the gameplay is there. The weekly cutscenes sound lame as hell, but we'll almost certainly be able to ignore them. Still, unless I'm missing something, it seems like a crazy poor use of resources for a PvP multiplayer game. We'll be seeimg more of this at Geoff Keighlys Summer Game Fest so hopefully the debut trailer was just poorly executed.
Final-Meme.gif

Is the beta only accessible through pre-ordering, or was it early access to the open beta for pre-orders?
Pretty sure I remember seeing at the end of one of the trailer where it mentioned if you pre order, you get the beta, but you also get like 4 codes to give out. So probably gonna need to preorder unless you know people already interested

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Yeah, 99.9 percent of gamers don't know or care about 1st party vs 2nd party.

The only blowback a flop would produce is by the anti GAAS crowd online who blows everything related to this stuff out of proportion anyway. Those people are generally irrelevant considering how much they dislike the planets most successful games.
Even you have no faith in the game.

4Hcbcvd.png

No one has.

And the thing about GAAS - especially PvPs - is that they tend to fail if people aren't interested in them.

Last edited:

Perrott

It's possible that Firewalk is doing something interesting with the ships, though the fact that everyone ship is called "The Northstar" doesn't fill me with confidence.
The Northstar isn't the only ship. In the CG trailer, the competing team's ship was called the "The Rexxus" or something like that.

Killjoy-NL

Pretty sure I remember seeing at the end of one of the trailer where it mentioned if you pre order, you get the beta, but you also get like 4 codes to give out. So probably gonna need to preorder unless you know people already interested
Seen people post that previews should be coming after that Game Fest next week, which should be in time for the beta.

If they're at least somewhat positive, I might bite.

Top Bottom