• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

T0minator

Concords Pros and Cons from their reveal:

Pros:
Gunplay looks great.
The graphics look detailed and nice
The music seems good so far
Weekly story updates is a cool idea

Cons:
The character designs look bad
If it's not F2P then it would be DoA for most

If they had better character designs the game wouldn't be getting as much negativity as it's getting

Shifty1897

qOIzpBA.jpeg

Saber

Gold Member
Praise the heavens I don't watch State of Play anymore. Best decision I ever made.
I want a huge distance from this game. This just give me the irks, bloody disgusting. I will put any info about it on the ignore.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
It's silly saying that when nobody has played the game. And COD coming out has nothing to do with this game failing because it's "woke". That just a narrative incels like to run with

The game is a by the numbers box checker made by a studio founded by a guy who was a publishing exec at Activision who oversaw Destiny for a while. It's game design by Microsoft Excel.

Denorion

Neo Member
If they had better character designs the game wouldn't be getting as much negativity as it's getting
Yeah, I said it in a other thread, say what you want about Overwatch, but it never messed up in character design, everyone is either Cool, Funny, Sexy or Cute, it makes you want to unlock different skins for them

Concord's designs feel so bland and safe by comparison, as if they were more concerned about getting articles from kotaku praising them, rather than the average player liking them

Killjoy-NL

The game is a by the numbers box checker made by a studio founded by a guy who was a publishing exec at Activision who oversaw Destiny for a while. It's game design by Microsoft Excel.
Destiny was a massive hit though.

And it got trashed to hell and back after the alpha and beta.

Last edited:

DannyDanger

Gold Member
Can someone show me why these companies still think Hero Shooters are where it's at? I'm just not seeing the popularity anywhere. Overwatch is nowhere near as big as it used to be. And damn near all the rest of them failed...

At least the marvel one has the recognizable heros that might draw you in.

These companies have a way better chance with a battle Royale, or a pve co op game

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's silly saying that when nobody has played the game. And COD coming out has nothing to do with this game failing because it's "woke". That is just a narrative incels like to run with

Wait, we are all imagining no white male characters....no pronouns in a video game....no guardians of the galaxy terrible quips.... no focus group the game....

Thank fuck for that. Now I'm interested.

I was worried that this game was the product of signing off marvel/Disney dei of like 5 years ago.

Last edited:

Denorion

Neo Member
Can someone show me why these companies still think Hero Shooters are where it's at? I'm just not seeing the popularity anywhere. Overwatch is nowhere near as big as it used to be. And damn near all the rest of them failed...
Most of these games started development around 2018-ish, when overwatch was at its peak

Plus, you can bet some execs think "well, if overwatch is not as popular as it used to be, maybe there is a vacuum in the market"

The game is coming out less than two months before Black Ops 6. It's DOA going up against what is going to be the biggest selling game of 2024.

Sea of Thieves is DOA because it came out a few months before the best selling game of eternity COD from our lord and saviors at Microsoft!!!!

Derp GIF by 43 Clicks North

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Sea of Thieves is DOA because it came out a few months before the best selling game of eternity COD from our lord and saviors at Microsoft!!!!

Derp GIF by 43 Clicks North

COD is the #1 selling game every year on PSN. EVERY YEAR.

Black Ops is so popular that Cold War was the #1 selling game on PSN in both 2020 AND 2021 (Vanguard was #2 in 2021).

This is Black Ops 6. Literally nothing releasing on the PS5 this year is going to touch what it's going to sell.

COD is the #1 selling game every year on PSN. EVERY YEAR.

Black Ops is so popular that Cold War was the #1 selling game on PSN in both 2020 AND 2021 (Vanguard was #2 in 2021).

This is Black Ops 6. Literally nothing releasing on the PS5 this year is going to touch what it's going to sell.

Thank you Aaron Greenberg

Now what does that have to do with another game coming out and being successful on its own terms?

It's the same genre going for the same audience. Except Treyarch didn't sell out to Sweet Baby for BLOPS6.

It’s not the same type of game at all. You’re clearly clueless about this stuff

They don’t look or play anything alike. I have zero interest in playing a CoD arena shooter.

I am excited to play a class based team pvp with halo/destiny mechanics

PvP is an incredibly broad there with audiences that may not overlap at all

Last edited:

Bry0

These games always have a chance to pop off if it’s fun and well funded. I don’t EXPECT that to happen with Concord but I wouldn’t rule it out entirely. If valves new game drops anywhere around the time this does into a public beta or something this thing will be screwed on PC though.

Optional stuff like that has been in COD for years. Stop trying to equate optional camos to the Sweet Baby designed characters you're forced to play as in Concord.

More derpy derp derp. Your DEI is worse than mine. Transgender bullets is less woke than a green lizard man

Last edited:
Remove the “woke” stuff people are whining about in Concord and you’re still left with generic looking gameplay that no one is leaving Apex or Overwatch or CoD for.

Remove the “woke” stuff people are whining about in Concord and you’re still left with generic looking gameplay that no one is leaving Apex or Overwatch or CoD for.

The gameplay looks better than all the games you listed to me

Nothing generic about Destiny mechanics they are best in the business

Killjoy-NL

Why do people keep using Apex Legends as an argument?

That's primarily a battle royale, so a completely different genre.

Might as well compare it to Smite.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why do people keep using Apex Legends as an argument?

That's primarily a battle royale, so a completely different genre.

Might as well compare it to Smite.
People compare it to Destiny and maybe the only thing it reminds me of Destiny is the gunplay

People have said its Destiny in a 5 v 5 Hero arena shooter which is Overwatch

But people have a right to their opinions but some seem to be resorting to making things personal

People compare it to Destiny and maybe the only thing it reminds me of Destiny is the gunplay

But people have a right to their opinions but some seem to be resorting to making things personal

Mechanics and gunplay is what makes a shooter what it is.

This does not look like it plays like OW or Apex

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This game needs to be an Avengers level failure for Sony to get the message.

(it will be)

I think they know it too. The fact that its NOT f2P is just them saying "lets just make as much money as we can from this flop".

They are sending it out to die, no one is going to buy this game lol. But they already bought the studio and the game is already basically done so they will put it out and make a few million

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Mechanics and gunplay is what makes a shooter what it is.

This does not look like it plays like OW or Apex
I've noticed a lot of people make a comparison to Destiny.
Given that a lot of former Destiny devs apparently work on Concord, maybe it's a mix of Destiny and OW.

Since I liked both, it actually sounds like it could be better than a lot of people expect it to be.

It would basically be like 5v5 Crucible matches.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I've noticed a lot of people make a comparison to Destiny.
Given that a lot of former Destiny devs apparently work on Concord, maybe it's a mix of Destiny and OW.

Former Destiny devs work at ProbablyMonsters, which is what Firewalk used to be part of. ProbablyMonsters is working on stuff separate from Concord. The Destiny connection to Concord is that the studio head of Firewalk was the ABK publishing executive who oversaw Destiny. He wasn't a dev.

Killjoy-NL

Former Destiny devs work at ProbablyMonsters, which is what Firewalk used to be part of. ProbablyMonsters is working on stuff separate from Concord. The Destiny connection to Concord is that the studio head of Firewalk was the ABK publishing executive who oversaw Destiny. He wasn't a dev.
Just looked it up, sounds like it's more than just the Studio head that came from Bungie, it's also the former Creative Director for Destiny and since they talking about a team, I think it's safe to assume they got some more former Bungie-employees (also people that were working on Halo and COD):.

Who knows, maybe they will surprise us?
Doesn't sound like a studio made up of starting indie-devs.

Last edited:

xHunter

Just looked it up, sounds like it's more than just the Studio head that came from Bungie, it's also the former Creative Director for Destiny and since they talking about a team, I think it's safe to say they got some more former Bungie-employees:.
ManaByte ManaByte knows every single dev working at Firewalk. If he says the only connection to Destiny is the studio dev, then that is the case. I mean why would he lie (again)?

Last edited:
This game needs to be an Avengers level failure for Sony to get the message.

(it will be)

I think they know it too. The fact that its NOT f2P is just them saying "lets just make as much money as we can from this flop".

They are sending it out to die, no one is going to buy this game lol. But they already bought the studio and the game is already basically done so they will put it out and make a few million
Yeah, Sony learned their lesson by making Helldivers 2 40$. Real dumb of them to do that. Obv sent it out to die....

Last edited:

Astray

I actually looked into this.

Apparently ProbablyMonsters are like an incubator for gaming dev studio start-ups, Firewalk "graduated" from there with the Sony investment or something like that.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I actually looked into this.

Apparently ProbablyMonsters are like an incubator for gaming dev studio start-ups, Firewalk "graduated" from there with the Sony investment or something like that.

Sony was always publishing Firewalk's game even when they were part of ProbablyMonsters.

Astray

Sony was always publishing Firewalk's game even when they were part of ProbablyMonsters.
IDK if that's true or not.

From ProbablyMonsters' site:

After successful years of incubation with us, Firewalk joined Playstation. Later that year, we opened a new location in Fort Worth, Texas.​

Seems like their business model is to build up studios and sell them to bigger companies and get a cut, kinda like what Y-Combinator does in Silicon Valley. Firewalk is one such studio.

It's also notable that a big chunk of PM's upper management is ex-Bungie.

They have a new team announced called Hidden Grove.

Represent.

Yeah, Sony learned their lesson by making Helldivers 2 40$. Real dumb of them to do that. Obv sent it out to die....
If you can’t spot the difference between this and Helldivers 2 then I don’t know what to tell you. You are being naive as hell to think these are the same lol.

Hell even public reception towards both are worlds apart

Killjoy-NL

If you can’t spot the difference between this and Helldivers 2 then I don’t know what to tell you. You are being naive as hell to think these are the same lol.

Hell even public reception towards both are worlds apart
Barely anyone cared for HD2 until it exploded post-launch, so it wasn't that much better.

At the very least, Concord got more eyes on it.

Represent.

Barely anyone cared for HD2 until it exploded post-launch, so it wasn't that much better.

At the very least, Concord got more eyes on it.
It looks like a overwatch clone half a decade too late.

Inspired by guardians of the galaxy, several years too late. The last guardians movie bombed. The guardians single player game bombed.

The clone from a brand new unproven studio going to succeed?

I honestly think people are growing tired of this art style. It shows in the YouTube dislike ratio and the comments

Straight up, if they went SOCOM, realistic military style, with the same 5 vs 5 .. they’d have a hit

Killjoy-NL

Inspired by guardians of the galaxy, several years too late. The last guardians movie bombed. The guardians single player game bombed.

I honestly think people are growing tired of this art style. It shows in the YouTube dislike ratio and the comments

Straight up, if they went SOCOM, realistic military style, with the same 5 vs 5 .. they’d have a hit
You could be right.

I'm not even saying the game can't bomb. But I do think that it's better to wait for previews at leasr and the beta next month, because looking past the Wokeness, the gameplay footage looked smooth as fuck.
And some of the stuff the devs were talking about makes it sound deeper than OW.

Last edited:

Salz01

What is the dislike YouTube ratio. I hate that they disabled it and you need an ext.

Top Bottom