• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord | State of Play Reveal Trailer

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I was getting Beyond Good and Evil 2 and GotG vibes from the trailer but was left super disappointed due to being another team based competitive multi-player game.

I don't give a shit who works or writes for the game. I am my own judge.

Last edited:

Astray

I honestly think the game will be quite popular. I have a hard time believing Playstation, with Bungie consulting, is putting out a mediocre hero-shooter to die. Especially when they dedicated 12min of their State of Play to showcasing the game. That tells me they are quite confident. Playstation didn't do anything close to that for Helldivers 2. And just like Helldivers 2, I don't see Playstation rushing Concord to market without sitting on a good amount of content

What do you deem a success/failure? CCU/Sales/Critics? I don't really like critics for GAAS games, mostly because launch issues can bring them down, like With HD2. CCU or sales data would work for me. I'd be cool for an avatar change wager. Make a reasonable metric for success and I'll accept
I don't think the game is a definite failure, but I don't think it's a lock either. Successful companies have failed to launch products too.

Concord is a big gamble on a genre that isn't entirely uncontested (Overwatch 2 is still top 20 on Steam alone).

Nydius

Gold Member
Concord is a big gamble on a genre that isn't entirely uncontested (Overwatch 2 is still top 20 on Steam alone).
The real gamble is making it a pay-to-play title. They’re going to have to show something quite special or unique during the beta to make people want to pay money for a game that looks like an Overwatch clone when Overwatch (and others) are sitting out here in F2P-land.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In the pink, or in the stink?
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

The real gamble is making it a pay-to-play title. They’re going to have to show something quite special or unique during the beta to make people want to pay money for a game that looks like an Overwatch clone when Overwatch (and others) are sitting out here in F2P-land.
Unless the game is a total bomb, it is very easy money for Playstation. It will sell well in the first couple of weeks just because it's a new polished gaas game. Whether it has legs is a completely different situation. But Sony can probably recoup most of development costs if it is just a competent game, which the gameplay seems to indicate it is

It's a much bigger risk to release as a F2P and hope it becomes a pillar gaas game

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member
Unless the game is a total bomb, it is very easy money for Playstation. It will sell well in the first couple of weeks just because it's a new polished gaas game.

That’s an awfully big assumption. I keep seeing people say it’ll do well because Helldivers did well at the same price point. That ignores the reality that Helldivers is a coop PvE game while this is just another 5v5 hero shooter in a saturated market where most of its competitors are established and free to play.

Being “polished” isn’t enough. Sometimes even being unique isn’t enough. Just ask all of the well made MMOs that should have done well but couldn’t break Warcraft’s grasp. If polished and unique mattered, Wildstar would be thriving.

That’s an awfully big assumption. I keep seeing people say it’ll do well because Helldivers did well at the same price point. That ignores the reality that Helldivers is a coop PvE game while this is just another 5v5 hero shooter in a saturated market where most of its competitors are established and free to play.

Being “polished” isn’t enough. Sometimes even being unique isn’t enough. Just ask all of the well made MMOs that should have done well but couldn’t break Warcraft’s grasp. If polished and unique mattered, Wildstar would be thriving.
People keep saying it is an oversaturated market. I just strongly disagree. I would argue Concord is directly competing against Overwatch, which has never been weaker. And I think there are a lot of players that can't/won't play Overwatch because the game has been out nearly a decade and the skill ceiling to compete is ridiculously high. I put myself in that camp

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People keep saying it is an oversaturated market. I just strongly disagree. I would argue Concord is directly competing against Overwatch, which has never been weaker. And I think there are a lot of players that can't/won't play Overwatch because the game has been out nearly a decade and the skill ceiling to compete is ridiculously high. I put myself in that camp
When people say the market is saturated, what they mean to say is "I want the market to be saturated."

It really is that simple.

DrFigs

Who gives a shit about his political views. the game either looks good or it does not. i don't care what his views of the judicial system is.

Last edited:

Astray

F2P has issues like greater prevalence of hackers and incentivizing more terrible monetization. It's not a panacea imo.

Top Bottom