• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Dead Space taps into PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers for immersive horror

Ezekiel_

Banned
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...s-and-adaptive-triggers-for-immersive-horror/

Developer Motive details how the DualSense wireless controller deepens gameplay - out Jan 27.

https://blog.playstation.com/
How Dead Space taps into PS5 haptics and adaptive triggers for immersive horror

With the PlayStation 5’s DualSense wireless controller, we at Motive are able to immerse players deeper into Isaac’s thrilling journey aboard the USG Ishimura. Across various events such as weapon shooting, asteroids impacting the ship, and Necromorphs attacking, haptic feedback lets players feel the impact as Isaac would.

Our goal with weapons was to give each a unique feel and sensation to make the experience of fighting Necromorphs even more engaging. Read on for some immersive examples of DualSense controller gameplay.

Plasma Cutter​

You steady your plasma cutter and aim at the legs of a lunging Slasher. You place your finger on the DualSense controller trigger and push it past the required threshold to fire the weapon, feeling the weapon’s vibration shortly after. The DualSense controller trigger then pushes back up, re-initializing for your next shot.

The same kind of trigger effect is found on the flamethrower, but with a slight difference as you can feel a low vibration on the trigger as the ejected gas turns into flame.

Pulse Rifle​

A Swollen begins lumbering towards you as you pull out your pulse rifle. To survive, you give it all you got, emptying your remaining bullets to defeat the approaching threat. While you hold down the DualSense trigger, you feel it buck with each round fired from the rifle.

Movement and ability haptics​

When entering certain zero-gravity areas, the player can activate Isaac’s magnetic boots. Through haptic vibrations on the controller, the player will feel the impact of each step as the mag boots engage with the floor.

When players use Isaac’s Kinesis and Stasis modules, they’ll get similar real-time feedback through the controller through rich haptic vibrations.

Controller speakers​

To dial up the immersion, players receive valuable gameplay feedback through the controller’s speakers. Throughout the player’s journey, as they perform certain actions such as picking up items, refilling their stasis energy, and using their locator, they will hear those effects from Isaac’s RIG through audio.

You can dive deep into this iconic story yourself and experience the immersive DualSense controller haptics and adaptive trigger effects when Dead Space releases on January 27 on PlayStation 5.

Nodding Nod GIF by DJ Khaled

I'm wondering if they rebalanced any of the weapons. The plasma cutter is literally the only gun you need.
They can balance the weapon by limit the ammo pickups, so unless you're getting perfect shots, eventually you'll run out. They can also reduce the damage done to bigger enemies/creatures and require you to use something like the line gun or ripper blades.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I like the idea of gamers having options so its excellent to see the Dual Sense get support like this, but does anyone else turn off rumble and haptics for all their controllers as well?
Nope. The only thing I've turned off is the trigger effects for Siege, because it was messing me up after thousand of hours without it.

Turning off haptics/rumble REALLY messes me up for shooters.

Nope. The only thing I've turned off is the trigger effects for Siege, because it was messing me up after thousand of hours without it.

Turning off haptics/rumble REALLY messes me up for shooters.
I started turning them off because of shooters and Rocket League, kind of just turn them off by default now.

No, just you.
No, just you.

Shit too late.
Hmmm. How about that.

I always enjoy the haptic initially but after a while, it becomes a bit of a pain and it's easier to shoot faster without them at all. I hate when you're trying to shoot quickly and the trigger mechanism can't keep up with the speed at which you're pulling it. My launch day pads also click horrendously so I'm hoping the edge will solve that problem.

The real question is, are any of the weapons worth using outside of the plasma cutter?

I remember in the original that you could keep getting ammo for the plasma cutter if you solely used it, and it always worked great. It was also the most fun.

Ghost of Tsushima has an impressive implementation, especially when you ride the horse over the bridges. So does Witcher 3.

I'm glad these features get adopted by developers, it always adds to the experience.

It's also pleasent to see that Sony innovated on the gaming experience beyond just pushing graphical power and related technologies.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I like the idea of gamers having options so its excellent to see the Dual Sense get support like this, but does anyone else turn off rumble and haptics for all their controllers as well?
I find it so odd that people want to turn rumble off but I have 2 friends who go right to game settings and turn it off (xbox anyway)

anthony2690

Banned
I really liked the rumble on certain games, I think it is game dependent whether I keep rumble on or not.

Tension triggers I switched off as soon as I discovered you could on Google, they made my wrists/hands ache something terribly. (But that's probably just a me issue)

Last edited:

TonyK

I truly hate adaptive triggers. I test it in all games and I always end disabling them. It makes any interaction worse than with traditional triggers.

Haptic vibration, on the other hand, is very nice. Traditional vibration, like the one from the Xbox controller (controller I love BTW) feels dated and even annoying.

Topher

Gold Member
I truly hate adaptive triggers. I test it in all games and I always end disabling them. It makes any interaction worse than with traditional triggers.

Haptic vibration, on the other hand, is very nice. Traditional vibration, like the one from the Xbox controller (controller I love BTW) feels dated and even annoying.

I am with you. At times, I don't like the adaptive triggers either. If it really bothers me I turn them off. Haptics, though, is definitely superior to rumble.

The triggers? Sometimes but I never turn off the haptics rumble because its actually good and enhances the experience.

Last edited:
The haptics can be ok but nothing I’ve played was anywhere near as good as Astro’s which is a shame and I’ve played every exclusive except Returnal now and a ton of third party stuff.

The only game I didn’t disable the triggers for was R&C as the half press / full press was like having an extra button, mostly they just make it feel like your controller is broken.

I hate the speaker as the quality is shit so that gets disabled where possible.

Will probably just buy on Xbox as it’s £6 cheaper that’s how little the controller adds for me personally.

Esca

I never cared for rumble in controllers but the haptics on the dualsense? Oh my, I love it. It actually adds to the experience instead of my controller feeling like a rocket ship taking off. The adaptive triggers so far haven't really done anything for me. I find them annoying in most cases and turn them off. Oh I like the speaker as well. They're been some good implementations in games though I don't use it at much since I play with headphones most the time

Could someone check on our comrade Ezekiel? He seems to have been left with only the option of reacting to every single post he reads with a triggered emoji...

Last edited:

MikeM

Weak little fingers hehe cute tho

Kenan Thompson Lol GIF by Saturday Night Live

Top Bottom