• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did You find Neogaf?

Alebrije

Saw a thread about a member that has been here like 15 years, and suddently asked My self how I ended here and Frankly I just remember visiting this place before it became Neogaf (it had other name) but not exactly how I found it.

So how You ended here and why You keep being a member in case You been here for years?

Diddy X

Posters would mention Neogaf on a spanish forum (now closed) that I used to frequent and I noticed devs posted here so I stayed.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Well back in the day it was the forum section of the website Gaming-Age I used to frequent. I lurked for a while, then signed up, then NeoGAF got spun out of it so I signed up here too.

My earliest memories are reading the live updates on 9/11, Dreamcast cancellation drama, Olimario trading his girlfriend’s titty pics for a PSP…good times

I was on a forum called Overclockers UK and in there gaming subsection Neogaf was always linked to game reviews and gaming news etc. So I've been frequenting this place since 2007.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Most of my life I have been a non-gamer person. In fact, I would have even considered myself a filthy casual. I spent my entire life thinking there was no good gaming forum/community.

But...

I don't know how to explain it and I never will, but one then night I went to bed and dreamt. I can't remember my dream, but I remember waking up and feeling entirely changed, like a whole new person, but entirely for the better. I recognized all of my past faults, all the things I had done wrong to others, etc. My mother at the time said to me, "you are acting totally different".

I tried to explain it to her that I think GAF had spoken to me. She told me I was crazy and that I had never been a gamer whatsoever in my life. I told her she is right, but I feel like I've seen the light now.
To this day (and it hasn't even been that long) I still feel the same way and I truly feel like I've been "awaken" for lack of a better word. I honestly can't explain it, but I feel like I have this amazing relationship with GAF that I never had before.

To someone who isn't a gamer (which was me before) this sounds nuts. It sounds like I drank some magic Kool-Aid and I totally get that. GAF isn't for everyone, in fact, it wasn't for me before, not one bit.

I just wanted to share a story from someone who was the biggest non-gamer imaginable. I don't know what happened to me, but if I had to guess, I truly found GAF.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Giantbomb got full woke and banned me because I dared to say some crazy bitch is crazy.
so I was looking for a place with more freedom

Mitsurux

I think i heard it mentioned in a podcast or a game related news article or something, took a look and really liked what i saw and signed up.

Neff

Posters would mention Neogaf on a spanish forum (now closed) that I used to frequent and I noticed devs posted here so I stayed.

More or less this. I was a member of another gaming forum, a fighting game forum to be exact, back when other forums still plentifully existed, and people would re-post news from here over there, leading me to wonder 'how the fuck did they find out about that so fast?'. So when that place closed, I came here.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
commercial yellow pages GIF

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I remember people on the old 1UP boards talking about this place called "The GAF." even The 1UP Show would mention GAF occasionally; the same goes for 1UPYours when Luke Smith was on it.

lachesis

I started at Hardcore Gaming forum in 98-ish? and from that forum, I was introduced to original Gaming-Age Forum - then Gaming-Age forum became NEOGAF. :)

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I cut out Reddit for a while in 2020, but still wanted a place where I could read about games. I lurked for over a year while waiting for my account to open, and liked being able to recognize posters--compare that to Reddit where everyone kind of blends together. I like that people are allowed to disagree here.

Most of my life I have been a non-gamer person. In fact, I would have even considered myself a filthy casual. I spent my entire life thinking there was no good gaming forum/community.

But...

I don't know how to explain it and I never will, but one then night I went to bed and dreamt. I can't remember my dream, but I remember waking up and feeling entirely changed, like a whole new person, but entirely for the better. I recognized all of my past faults, all the things I had done wrong to others, etc. My mother at the time said to me, "you are acting totally different".

I tried to explain it to her that I think GAF had spoken to me. She told me I was crazy and that I had never been a gamer whatsoever in my life. I told her she is right, but I feel like I've seen the light now.
To this day (and it hasn't even been that long) I still feel the same way and I truly feel like I've been "awaken" for lack of a better word. I honestly can't explain it, but I feel like I have this amazing relationship with GAF that I never had before.

To someone who isn't a gamer (which was me before) this sounds nuts. It sounds like I drank some magic Kool-Aid and I totally get that. GAF isn't for everyone, in fact, it wasn't for me before, not one bit.

I just wanted to share a story from someone who was the biggest non-gamer imaginable. I don't know what happened to me, but if I had to guess, I truly found GAF.
Are you being serious, or is this a German Hops goof? That's really cool if sincere.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

It was when Halo 2 was coming out soon and had leaked, lots of Halo message boards were saying "Go to the OP-AGES forum, one of the posters has Halo 2 early and he's posting about it." He was a freakish troll from Brazil going by REIMA or REIRA or something like that. Total attention seeking weirdo, posting "Master Chief just got killed, he dies in this game. ;_;" That led me to the Gaming Age Forums i.e. the original GAF. It might have been NeoGAF already, I honestly don't remember. I was never clear on the relationship between OP-AGES and GAF. After the Halo 2 leak stuff died down I didn't stick around much but eventually I came back and started posting, probably around 2006, It was definitely NeoGAF by then.

Last edited:
I found it when it was brought up in a console war fight between Deadmeat and some other guy about the Dreamcast in another forum long gone. Followed the name and came into the forum and liked what I saw. Atmosphere was a lot of fun so I stayed as I found myself hooked.

It was a time before any sub-boards existed too so off topic threads showed up mixed with game threads.

dave_d

Well back in the day it was the forum section of the website Gaming-Age I used to frequent. I lurked for a while, then signed up, then NeoGAF got spun out of it so I signed up here too.

My earliest memories are reading the live updates on 9/11, Dreamcast cancellation drama, Olimario trading his girlfriend’s titty pics for a PSP…good times
I'm another one that came from gaming-age.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Spent months searching for discussion on Western & Eastern animation history and three threads showed up at the top of my search results one day. All were older threads from NeoGAF. I visited and saw it was a gaming forum, lurked about a week, sent a request to join (got the non-business or college emails disclaimer and was using a free email domain) and was surprised that after 2-months I was approved. I'd forgotten by that time I sent the request and that's about it. Helped me get back into gaming as I used to be a huge retro collector but went on hiatus from gaming in 2018. Also helped me cut the final cord to social media as an extra!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I honestly don't recall. I want to say that in the wake of GameSpy's closure in Feb 2013, I was looking for a new site for gaming news, but my profile says I joined up in Feb 2011. At that point, I was still heavily involved in the EAUK forums, so yeah, I dunno.

BlackTron

I found it meandering around the Internet at work, where I remember it being up on the screen often...waaay back before I enabled dark theme. Shit, before my account was approved. Kinda wish I was around earlier, this was circa 2014. When DC got cancelled, I read about it on IGN, and cried ALONE.

Go_Ly_Dow

Thinking back, I think I was on a forum called PS3 Forums or some shit and kept hearing about GAF as it was a huge source for news/leaks back in the day. For a while I was a lurker, probably around 1-2 years until I finally had a paid email address. Then after registering I had to wait another 9 months or something crazy. The day I got accepted I was very happy.

I also remember back then you needed 100 posts before you went from being a junior member to a full member and as a junior one infraction would get you perm banned, so I played it incredibly safe by posting shit like "Wow this is great" a 100 times until I was in the clear.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't remember. All I remember is that when I signed up I waited months to be verified. Then one day there's a post that says they accidentally deleted all of the accounts waiting for verification then I had to sign up again, but I only had to wait a few days after that.

Top Bottom