• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about everything supposedly re-opening next month?

On the one hand, we could be in for a second wave with many more casualties as a result. On the other, if we stay closed too much longer, if any more jobs are lost, or hours are cut, a lot of lives could be financially ruined beyond repair.

can you imagine a clothing store up and running as soon as next month?

or a packed restaurant?

a packed metro system?

small towns in safe states could get away with reopening

metro cities shouldnt even be thinking about it

gotta focus on getting essentials to everyone, that includes phone/internets

rykomatsu

On the one hand, we could be in for a second wave with many more casualties as a result. On the other, if we stay closed too much longer, if any more jobs are lost, or hours are cut, a lot of lives could be financially ruined beyond repair.

With what we know of the virus now, I don't have much of an issue with reopening, provided the vulnerable can be isolated / risk reduced.
  • Yes, a small number of young healthy folks do not make it
    • COVID-19 for under 65 is 0.1-1.4%
    • This does not take into account asymptomatic, weakly symptomatic carriers that go unreported. Numbers currently range from 8x to 85x estimated cases that are unreported, based on a few different (albeit with study designs that could be improved to one degree or another) studies.
    • Adjusting for this, the death rate for COVID-19 in the 0-65% range is 0.001% to 0.18%
    • In comparison, the flu death rate is in a similar range for this age group
  • 65+, COVID-19 is about 3-5x more deadly than the flu
    • I believe this takes into account comorbidities, and this is the age group that needs to be safely isolated.
Infectivity is high, but with those numbers, people that can step back and see the situation objectively would be OK with those odds.

That said, this is predicated by understanding by everyone that goes back to normalcy, that even with social distancing, everyone that encounters people has the possibility of contracting the virus. The purpose of social distancing is not to stop the spread - it's to slow it down. "Not one more death" type of thinking is total garbage.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I want a fucking haircut that's all I know.
All you need is a razor and a little shaving cream and you can look great
PHM0619CC03-1280x1369.jpg

Cato

Banned
Its way too early. My parents are in poor health and my jackass of a governer doesn't care at all.

Then they stay inside the house and don't go out?
I mean if you stay inside the house, you won't get the virus. And it doesn't matter what happens over at your neighbors house.

Or when they lift the restrictions, you mean that people will force themselves into your parents house and infect them?
You know in Sweden, no one has to stay at home at all. How does that hurt your parents?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Here's my thoughts exactly:
MjAxMi1lZTViYjAzMjFjYjQxNjY3.png

Please let there be some kind of ______ war to get all this shit over with. People are absolutely on one side or the other. There is no grey area.
The major wars of the last few centuries were fought so you could have the freedom to jokingly announce to the world that you want to shoot motherfuckers in the face. Use your power wisely.

Old Retro

The major wars of the last few centuries were fought so you could have the freedom to jokingly announce to the world that you want to shoot motherfuckers in the face. Use your power wisely.

Bull-fucking-shit! Have you been sitting your ass at home for the past month? Or have you been working out there in the real world with people who don't care about your health?

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Bull-fucking-shit! Have you been sitting your ass at home for the past month? Or have you been working out there in the real world with people who don't care about your health?
Your post is irrelevant to my post therefore does not require additional consideration.

I was trying to help you understand why using your freedom of speech to call for war is something you should avoid or at least reconsider.

Dthomp

or a packed restaurant?

a packed metro system?

small towns in safe states could get away with reopening

metro cities shouldnt even be thinking about it

gotta focus on getting essentials to everyone, that includes phone/internets

Man, my wife is a manager at a large clothing store chain in a pretty large city and I am terrified about them going back to work too soon. They don't sound like they really have a great plan in place for it as most of the physical things that they need to add won't be til the end of May and I fully expect my dumb state to push to open up ASAP cause we don't have a ton of cases (Also haven't really tested much so who knows).

Type 1 diabetic means that I won't be able to go to a restaurant or busy store for most likely a year if there isn't some sort of cure developed, and even then if I were to get it and not catch teh symptoms quick enough it could be too late right out of the gate.

I truly worry because the US didn't do the shutdown/Stay at home/lockdown at the same time in every state. Could have done a massive number on the amount of people passing this around, and now we are going to have some states opening in days, others in a month, others in the midwest are likely lucky to open back up in June, and none of this includes the very likely second wave of this when Karens have to go get their hair cut and shop for clothes they don't need.

Djau

Banned
Its much too early to open up as per what the Doctors and healthcare officials are saying. The virus is racking up deaths equal to much more widespread illnesses that have been around longer; and its going to put workers at-risk with no benefit. Once everything opens up, places will be packed and it will be perfect for a second spike. Anyone who gets a confirmed case of coronavirus should be able to sue their countries government for putting them at risk like this against the advice of medical staff.

We're going to hit at least 1 million dead globally before this is over.

Last edited:
Then they stay inside the house and don't go out?
I mean if you stay inside the house, you won't get the virus. And it doesn't matter what happens over at your neighbors house.

Or when they lift the restrictions, you mean that people will force themselves into your parents house and infect them?
You know in Sweden, no one has to stay at home at all. How does that hurt your parents?

via the migrants

paparazzo

I think taking a common sense approach is fine; i.e. curbside options, everyone wearing a mask and social distancing. Apparently Sweden will hit herd immunity next month, and they’re at 2K deaths.

There is no good option in weighing the amount of lives lost from covid vs. the amount of lives lost as a result of a depression, so at a certain point you have no choice but to take risks in order to keep everybody from starving and being evicted. People will die either way, and an economic collapse wouldn’t be good. For all the things we’ve achieved, it seems like there’s got to be a better way than keeping everybody locked up.

20% Of people testing positive for antibodies in NY also points to why it’s time to get things going.

Last edited:

mickaus

I think as soon as hand sanitiser, gloves and other protective gear are in good supply, an area with slowing amounts of cases should open up. I don’t know how other places are going but in Western Australia toilet paper, hand wipes, hand sanitizer etc. are regularly back in stock now. Maybe if everyone wears something like a burqa or other head covering that could help slow the spread, especially in metro areas.

TindalosPup

I'm mostly okay with things opening back up, my neighbors have gotten weirdly clingy when we're checking the mail, they're trying desperately to get close (closer than 6ft) and make awkward small talk, despite literally ignoring our existence for years before this.... Gosh I hope opening back up ends that

highrider

Banned
China fucked us, bad. If you don’t think we need to reopen right now you lack a cursory understanding of economics. I’m still waiting for us to D-Bo China. Gotta check them pockets.

Old Retro

Your post is irrelevant to my post therefore does not require additional consideration.

I was trying to help you understand why using your freedom of speech to call for war is something you should avoid or at least reconsider.

My apologies. I don't wish violence on anyone. I'm as frustrated at this whole damn situation as the next person. I do feel people are gonna get angry enough to where they'll be completely irrational and things will get out of hand.

chixdiggit

I own and run a MMA gym (Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, etc). I see little hope that we will be open anytime soon sweating all over each other.
Like I understand why we can't be open but at the same time what the fuck am I supposed to do in the meantime? It's one thing to have your business bring in zero income but it also still racks up bills. Mortgage, utilities, insurance, etc still has to be paid if we are open or not.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I want things to reopen so that people can get to work, get outside in the fresh air, practice some better hygiene/disease prevention techniques, and start putting the country back on the track.

The world will be an introvert's paradise. You can be as shy and standoffish as you please for the next 20 years and no one will bat an eye.

Honestly if they want to try for herd immunity then they should just come out and say it.
That's the end game.
You cannot stop it, only slow it down so we don't lose people to not being able to treat them because too many patients at once.

You can only delay the inevitable, avoiding breakdown.

So, I think we will be fine if we just skip all mass spreading events like concerts, football matches, parties, etc.

Also, don't use metro train rides.

or a packed restaurant?

a packed metro system?

So, I think we will be fine if we just skip all mass spreading events like concerts, football matches, parties, etc.

Also, don't use metro train rides.

Forgetting the main thing most of us would be going back to, cubicles. And they stuff those things in like sardines in most places.

belmarduk

Yes, I do think we should open up most businesses May 1st. The elderly and others who are at serious risk of dying from coronavirus should continue to shelter in place and have additional resources available to them.

Top Bottom