• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you feel about everything supposedly re-opening next month?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
As long as they don't allow visitors in health care facilities, I'm OK with it. I think most people will proceed judiciously (y)

If they allow visitors in the hospital, I will quit my job

Last edited:
It all depends on how many people have been infected.

If 50% or more have been infected then we know what to expect.

If only 10% have been infected, prepare to get fucked.

On top of a world wide PPE shortage could make the 250k that have died so far, as a drop in the ocean.

Moogle11

Banned
What is the exact date of things reopening in USA? May the 1st?

It’s not a nationwide thing. It’s being done at the state and local level. Some places like GA have already started reopening certain businesses with certain restrictions and guidelines in place. Other states are still fully locked down and others are opening things back up gradually in counties not hit hard and keeping a full shelter in place in hot spots.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
What is the exact date of things reopening in USA? May the 1st?

There are 50 exact dates, not one. Its been left at the discretion of the states.

And even then, most states are opening up in phases. In Texas, for example, restaurants and theatres can open on May the 1st but not to full capacity.

Cato

Banned
Probably because he has to do all the grocery and supplies shopping... And wants to lessen the risk to them if he lives with them?

No his dad does not have to do the grocery shopping.
TaySan is young and unemployed. Why can't he go and do the grocery shopping for his parents?
Or if he is busy maybe they can ask a neighbor to go shopping for them.

If they want to self isolate, and if they are vulnerable that is likely a good idea, there is nothing stopping them.
They can easily self isolate indefinitely if they want to.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
f00ececc-6a14-4952-accb-26ac33ac90a2_thumb.jpg

But seriously as long as people aren't stupid we should be fine.
I see a flaw in your plan.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
TaySan is young and unemployed. Why can't he go and do the grocery shopping for his parents?

If they want to self isolate, and if they are vulnerable that is likely a good idea, there is nothing stopping them.

That's who I'm talking about. Taysan doing the shopping and not bringing it home to his parents.

Edit:

My words:

"Probably because he has to do all the grocery and supplies shopping... And wants to lessen the risk to them if he lives with them?"

Where does it imply his dad? I was clearly talking about TaySan TaySan

Last edited:
There are 50 exact dates, not one. Its been left at the discretion of the states.

And even then, most states are opening up in phases. In Texas, for example, restaurants and theatres can open on May the 1st but not to full capacity.
50 DATES??!! PICK ONE!!!

No, but seriously you're right that it's different for every state although the safer at home order was previously extended from May 1st to near the end of May. More recently in my state they are allowing nonessential businesses with contactless services to reopen.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned

We do pick up for our groceries and we try our best to self isolate, but that can only do so much if everyone else is not following it. I live with them so if i catch it and pass it to them they will most likely die. :/

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
We do pick up for our groceries and we try our best to self isolate, but that can only do so much if everyone else is not following it. I live with them so if i catch it and pass it to them they will most likely die. :/

I tried explaining that to him but he didn't get it. I hope your parents stay safe!

Cato

Banned

Well in that case. Have your brother do the shopping for you. He can leave the box outside your house and basically have contactless delivery.
You and your parents do not even need to leave the house at all. Ever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Very good. Lockdowns cannot be dragged out long term. Most people are a lot better educated about social distancing and face coverings as we enter the next stage, and I think a lot of stores will still enforce good social distancing measures.

pixelation

Too early, I want this to get over quick. But if we start loosening up so soon, we'll be forced back into a longer quarantine (possibly). But people are stupid so they're gonna fuck us all.

JordanN

Banned
Too early, I want this to get over quick. But if we start loosening up so soon, we'll be forced back into a longer quarantine (possibly). But people are stupid so they're gonna fuck us all.
How is it any different from people being allowed to shop at Wal-Mart or Target?

Just wear a mask, maybe limit store capacity to less than 10 people at a time, and constantly disinfect everything. What's the problem?

Last edited:

pixelation

How is it any different from people being allowed to shop at Wal-Mart or Target?

Just wear a mask, maybe limit store capacity to less than 10 people at a time, and constantly disinfect everything. What's the problem?
Shopping for groceries is a necessity, going out to the beach, gym or the mall is not.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I’m willing to die for the economy, and mental health That all of a sudden was important starting in March of 2020

I also need a hair cut of my pubes and only my hair dresser can resolve this issue

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Shopping for groceries is a necessity, going out to the beach, gym or the mall is not.
If the situation was really that dire, I honestly believe the government should just deliver food to people's houses.

But instead, Karen & Chad can visit the same Walmart 5 times a week, touching every product on the shelf and spreading their germs.

It's a nothingburger. No point punishing other businesses if all the big box stores are given free reign to stay open.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
He's saying that the amount of flu deaths over a YEAR is being eclipsed by COVID-19 in LESS than a year.

I thought he was clear...

Two years ago, we had 80k people die from the flu during flu season. Not ONE PEEP of saving people in poor health. I ask again, what is the cutoff where we shutdown society? All we hear is the fear of death, but death is nothing new.

All that from a virus we already "know".

SpartanN92

Banned
Its way too early. My parents are in poor health and my jackass of a governer doesn't care at all.

Then your parents should stay at home.

My mother is a 60 year old emergency physician with asthma, my father (70) only has 75% lung function after a blood clot last year. I understand having parents in risk groups, especially with one who puts her life on the line every day. But this is destroying America. If this continues this may ruin us entirely and our standing in the world. This economic disaster is not only hurting us now but is destroying hope for our children’s future.

DrAspirino

Banned
I am no expert on this (since my master's degree is in Public Health, not epidemiology), but studies suggest that a country can (and has to) slowly "release the grip" once it has reached a certain threshold of people tested and quarintined. For example, they could open one county and the next one remain closed until cases and bed availability stabilizes again (that's what "surgical quarantines" are).

At least in my country, we're using that criteria and so far it has worked. Now, given the situation the USA is in right now, the best course of action would be the approach I mentioned. If the USA goes fully "back to bussiness as usual" on day one, you can mark my words and quote this: there will be a second wave of infections and it will be even worse than it is right now.

oagboghi2

I am no expert on this (since my master's degree is in Public Health, not epidemiology), but studies suggest that a country can (and has to) slowly "release the grip" once it has reached a certain threshold of people tested and quarintined. For example, they could open one county and the next one remain closed until cases and bed availability stabilizes again (that's what "surgical quarantines" are).

At least in my country, we're using that criteria and so far it has worked. Now, given the situation the USA is in right now, the best course of action would be the approach I mentioned. If the USA goes fully "back to bussiness as usual" on day one, you can mark my words and quote this: there will be a second wave of infections and it will be even worse than it is right now.
good thing that isn't happening :pie_eyeroll:

cryptoadam

Banned
25% of NYC infected? 2 million infected?

only 10 healthy people under 45 dead in NYC so far out of 1 Million plus infected.

I think maybe another month of shut down and then masks and social distancing. If NYC is actually 25% infected they could hit herd immunity by end of summer.

Raven117

I’m cool with the way Texas is handling this. It is (gasp) driven by data. Texas just didn’t get crushed by covid. We can slowly reopen and see how it goes.

Raven117

Different areas of the country, different rules. If you are NYC or on the East coast, yeah, maybe. If you are in the west, you will be fine. Grab some hand sanitizer, wear a mask, limit too much public interaction and you and the rest of the population if the west will be just fine

Raven117

Sorry to vent, but the thread over at reset about Texas reopening is irritating the shit out of me. All the hand wringing, the “FML”. Jesus. We had very few hospitalizations and very few deaths. Say what you want about testing, but the data about what happened was there and we are relatively in good shape. You know, science. Data.

I don’t know where their head is at.

Last edited:
Then your parents should stay at home.

My mother is a 60 year old emergency physician with asthma, my father (70) only has 75% lung function after a blood clot last year. I understand having parents in risk groups, especially with one who puts her life on the line every day. But this is destroying America. If this continues this may ruin us entirely and our standing in the world. This economic disaster is not only hurting us now but is destroying hope for our children’s future.
You act as if we will never recover economically from a lockdown which is absurd.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s not happening where I am I can believe Quebec, (the worst of all provinces) is reopening elementary schools, where the kids eat and drool on everything, but not high schools where they could actually be responsible.

This is backwards and fucked up to me.

Banned
if those country aren't flattening their curve, still couldn't getting their shit together but insisting to release all the lockdown and stuff, it is just like asking for the second wave to happen

Djau

Banned
All I know is I am sick and tired of this pandemic. I want things to go back to normal.

No chance. Recent research shows that Coronavirus will likely return each year now; alongside flu and other winter illnesses. Until we get a vaccine this is going to be a major killer.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my bro is going back to work next week. he works in a salon. apparently they can't use hair dryers, so that's.... odd. also the staff is working in two part time shifts.

hopefully they open up the drive in theaters, i was in the mountains last week and wanted to go to the drive in up there and it had closed in late March. really a movie drive in would be the perfect business to operate in this environment.

BigBooper

You act as if we will never recover economically from a lockdown which is absurd.
Just as absurd as "we" will never recover from a pandemic. How many people will be made homeless or die in the meantime is the question. Everyone in the restaurant my brother works at had been unemployed for months and the hotel I'm currently staying at has laid off over half of the staff.

Djau

Banned
Just as absurd as "we" will never recover from a pandemic. How many people will be made homeless or die in the meantime is the question. Everyone in the restaurant my brother works at had been unemployed for months and the hotel I'm currently staying at has laid off over half of the staff.

I would hope this shows people the importance of safety nets in times of crisis like this; are absolutely vital to the epidemic process.

iconmaster

Banned
The US needs another month.

The experts will always prefer another month. Sheltering at home is always safer than going out and living our lives, pandemic or no.

I wonder what sort of economic advantages the first-mover states might reap over the more cautious (or, to be fair, harder-hit) states. I fantasize about the pandemic creating weird inversions of power among the territories.

Tell_men

Based on what? And where?

Based on that any time a country opens too early, a surge in new cases happens. ex. Japan.

Social distancing coupled with face masks to protect others from our potentially symptomatic and asymptomatic selves is working. It will pass if people keep it up. Economies will rebound.

This shutdown would also have been quite a bit shorter if officials at all levels, all parties, federal, state, and county leaders had shut it down sooner instead of trying to keep the economy roaring. Even California and New York shut down too late. If we let up, it will resurge and we will have to keep doing this over and over. Short term pain for long term gain.

A few notes:

First, they said you didn’t need masks. They were trying to keep masks available for doctors when giving masks to the general populace, to everyone, would have had a greater impact.

Second, they told you to keep eating out to support local businesses when they should have been telling you to stock up. Instead, some made it about money. Others, race.

Failure at all levels, but I don’t blame a single one of them. They’ve never experienced something like this.

Third, make China pay monetarily and cancel our debt to them. Their secrecy cost lives and tanked economies.

We will rise again.

Top Bottom