• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Does HD Rumble Work?

Linkup

I really want to try this myself and see if it's the same stuff in the VR controllers. If not then I can't wait until it's in gen 2 VR controllers. Then I can wait for that Star Wars lightsaber game that would be perfect for this.

Pandy

I'll be surprised if Sony/MS don't put this in their traditional controllers before long.
It seems like tech that should be part of video games, and will absolutely improve gaming experiences in ways that a simple resolution bump can't.

One of the first leaks about those joycons was about advanced haptic feedback.

I had no idea, but I guess I didn't follow it too much to keep the January reveal spoiler free. Pretty cool.

No, they were just (very smartly) speculating based on where this kind of tech was at that point and going off of very general clues dropped by Nintendo. It's an impressive bit of foresight.

That's pretty crazy. They should bring back the whole "touching is good, but feeling is better" bit.

Well, maybe they shouldn't.

now introducing the dualshock 4 hd for the introductory price of $69.99.

sonyspyanqks.jpg

They won't suspect a thing.

tolkir

I really hope this tech makes it into the next gen console controllers and of course this would be ideal for VR controllers. I'm looking forward to experiencing it on the Switch and I hope all developers really make the most of it. Could be amazing in racing games (not that we're getting any sims and the digital triggers make that impossible as well :( ).

Imagine a Helmet VR with this Rumble. The pat sensation. *Japan drools*

There is a lot that can be done with little motors.
It took me 4 months to notice that it impossible to actually perform a mechanical click on the trackpad on my macbook. Instead a little motor emulates the feedback a mechanical click would give. I noticed it when I pressed it when it was shut off and got not feedback.

Branduil

Given their history, Sony is definitely prime suspect #1 to incorporate this into their next controller. Which, you know, is good, because the sooner this becomes standard for every platform the sooner all games will support it.

Wouldn't be surprised if next E3 Sony reveals updated Move controllers which look more like the joycons.

doraemoe

There is a lot that can be done with little motors.
It took me 4 months to notice that it impossible to actually perform a mechanical click on the trackpad on my macbook. Instead a little motor emulates the feedback a mechanical click would give. I noticed it when I pressed it when it was shut off and got not feedback.

It takes me a year. I do find there is no click feel when I turn off the trackpad, but I was just assuming there is a lock to prevent me from pressing it when turned off.

geordiemp

Only when it's in a Nintendo system. When Sony does it for PS5 it will be seen as "legit" and "a proper, next gen feature".

LOL, I still cannot see the point in rumble vs small rumbles anywhere on the controller unless the additional cost is negligible then fair enough, why not. Tech improves over time...yada yada

My issue is who gives a shit about milking a cow and feeling the rumble move down the controller. Then there is the apologists going on about the feel of lightning or fireballs in your hand, lala land. Its just a rumble spread across a volume, hilariously funny but also sad.

Problem is, its just mis-appropriation of priorities because there are more pressing requirements much higher up the list..I think priority should be

1. Picture IQ (yes we play games visually)
2. Sound quality (5.1, lots of interfaces with how you game whether through TV / Receiver or mix amp / headphone set up)
3. Load times and allowing large open worlds (memory size) / access times
4. Party support (chips / hardware / software) to allow seamless party features, sharing gameplay and video / screenshots in a connected world
5. Move along controller tech yes, but its not above the 4 listed, its bottom of the list, as controllers are fine as it is.

Ask any neutral gamer if they would rather have 1080p or hd rumble, 5.1 to their mix amp or HD rumble..,...8 GB ram or HD rumble........Party chat, shareplay, Video uploading of gameplay or hd rumble......anyone who would say otherwise is deluded

Yeah, if you tick all the boxes in the higher priorities, why not, chuck haptic feedback in.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
LOL, I still cannot see the point in rumble vs small rumbles anywhere on the controller unless the additional cost is negligible then fair enough, why not. Tech improves over time...yada yada

My issue is who gives a shit about milking a cow and feeling the rumble move down the controller. Then there is the apologists going on about the feel of lightning or fireballs in your hand, lala land. Its just a rumble spread across a volume, hilariously funny but also sad.

Problem is, its just mis-appropriation of priorities because there are more pressing requirements much higher up the list..I think priority should be

2. Sound quality (5.1, lots of interfaces with how you game whether through TV / Receiver or mix amp / headphone set up)
4. Party support (chips / hardware / software) to allow seamless party features, sharing gameplay and video / screenshots in a connected world
5. Move along controller tech yes, but its not above the 4 listed, its bottom of the list, as controllers are fine as it is.

Ask any neutral gamer if they would rather have 1080p or hd rumble, 5.1 to their mix amp or HD rumble..,...8 GB ram or HD rumble........Party chat, shareplay, Video uploading of gameplay or hd rumble......anyone who would say otherwise is deluded

Yeah, if you tick all the boxes in the higher priorities, why not, chuck haptic feedback in.
I guess you haven't experienced the joy of VR, no matter how bad graphics look.

M3d10n

Will HD rumble really be that noticeable when the joycons are attached? Doesn't seem like it.
Haptics isn't about the strength of the vibrations, it's about the precise vibrations. It doesn't turn your controller into a neck massage device at full blast. It should work fine when attached.

Datschge

LOL, I still cannot see the point in rumble vs small rumbles anywhere on the controller unless the additional cost is negligible then fair enough, why not.

HD rumble (if it's indeed Miraisens 3DHaptics) is essentially VR for haptic feedback. So far rumble has been undirected, just giving a diffuse force of different strengths in the hands. HD rumble appears to give full directionality to that force, i.e. one can feel in what direction this force is pushing, and that allows simulation all kinds of forces, feelings and structures. It's the very missing link for motion control that up to now had a weightless feel as there was no accurate feedback when a motion hits or touches a virtual object.

Sardello

5. Move along controller tech yes, but its not above the 4 listed, its bottom of the list, as controllers are fine as it is....
We are talking about games... and the way you control them is the first thing that should come to the mind.

Look at the evolution of the controller we had in time... how different the controllers of a Colecovision are compared to these Nintendo Switch things. What about VR and helmets then?

You can't say "Controllers are fine as it is" because it is the biggest way the industry can change and improve itself. Upgrade in the Visuals are relevant, but can't be seen as a real progress for the market and the experience... It has always been like this and it will always be.

Problem is, its just mis-appropriation of priorities because there are more pressing requirements much higher p the list..I think priority should be

Sorry but controls and gameplay is what made video games what they are in the first place. Your brain reacts to various stimuli such as visuals, sound, rumble and then you do something using the input device you've chosen.
Each gen saw many evolutions in controllers and it's a great thing imo. Power offered other liberties and gave video games another dimension but I really really don't have the same priorities as you. It's ok though, just I'm not sure Nintendo systems and games are for you.

geordiemp

I guess you haven't experienced the joy of VR, no matter how bad graphics look.

I am waiting on VR maturing a bit before I go either PSVR or VIVE, undecided, but that is very different to console gaming priorities and feature choices. I agree Haptic feedback might be useful in room scale for some things.

Sony still make poor choices, we should have space for a 5 TB Sata 3 in a Ps4 and make box 1 cm bigger - so many silly priorities of console manufacturers.

Nintendo should of put a secondary chip in to handle party, streaming, Video game recording instead of this crap and you know it.

The rumble pak that came with Metroid Pinball used to make me laugh every time it rumbled. It felt like 2 ladybugs dry humping in the palm of my hand.

Apenheul

Back in 2014 I was at a Digital Contents Expo in Tokyo and similar technology was shown off, it was just a small and bare PCB but when held it felt like someone was pulling it with an invisible string. Fairly subtle but still convincing.

Sony was also demoing Ocean Descent for PSVR there btw, the headset looked about the same as the consumer version but I don't recall the PS Eye being used for tracking.

Qassim

I haven't tried the Switch, but I'm expecting it to be like the haptics in the iPhone 7/Plus, Vive controllers, etc.

With the Vive controllers especially, it's remarkable at how convincing the feedback can be. It's really good stuff, hoping it's at least as good in the Switch (although I know the effect is partly enhanced by it marrying up with what is happening in VR with your hands).

Probably using several carefully placed motors to give various vibrations across numerous degrees of freedom. The rest is up to the programmer to simulate the forces or effect of forces in certain situations.

I don't see it as anything new technology wise or in the field of vibration sensors.

Controllers are fine as is? Do we just ignore how we've gotten to this point? This is objectively false, in the context you are putting it in.

Probably using several carefully placed motors to give various vibrations across numerous degrees of freedom. The rest is up to the programmer to simulate the forces or effect of forces in certain situations.

I don't see it as anything new technology wise or in the field of vibration sensors.
This new generation of haptics don't use circular motors - they use linear actuators (straight line motion).

For example movement by a fraction of a millimeter left and right under the finger can fool your brain into thinking there's been a large movement up and down. iPhone 7 home button and latest MacBook track pad force click use this method. No external moving parts.

Doctre81

Top Bottom