• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Does HD Rumble Work?

ggx2ac

That's software support, I pointed that out before on another thread how Immersion don't have anything related to making hardware on their webpage.

Edit: To reiterate.

Once it is adapted to the Nintendo Switch system, game developers will be able to use Immersion's TouchSense software suite to design games for the Nintendo Switch system. Immersion's TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world.

http://ir.immersion.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1007907

Immersion are definitely involved with the software for the HD Rumble but they have not claimed they were involved with making or designing the hardware. All they said is they have given Nintendo their TouchSense sofware technology.

I'm just looking for who is involved with making the hardware and it seems we have to wait for a teardown.

Dunkley

Thanks for this. Having 8 or 16 actuators isn't cheap and neither is paying for the patent or licensing the tech from this company...that is why the Joycons are so much money. I'm surprised people are up in arms over them. They are expensive, yeah, but I feel like they are so much more technologically advanced than people expected. It makes Apple's haptic feedback look a little aged even and that just came out.

Because if it's going to be anything like Nintendo's 3D, Nintendo's GamePad or Nintendo's motion controls, it might become a pointless gimmick that not a lot of developers take advantage of besides some simple stuff that only serves as a minor addition to the experience rather than an absolute game changer.

I'd say the criticism is validated, but Nintendo is free to prove everyone wrong. Otherwise it'll be just like the Kinect on the Xbox One.

Datschge

HD rumble is also the missing link from motion controls that the Joycons support. Now you can finally accurately feel weight and hits while moving instead doing so in empty air.

ggx2ac

HD rumble is also the missing link from motion controls that the Joycons support. Now you can finally accurately feel weight and hits while moving instead doing so in empty air.

What's so confusing is that HD Rumble is what was needed for a Wii 2 but the Switch is what the Wii U was supposed to be (Having the console internals in the Gamepad).

So Switch being a combination of both means that it is the Wii U2

I don't know how 8 little motors can simulate 6 marbles rolling around inside a box, clanging against the walls and each other.

It sounds more like large motors which can be activated in a variety of areas along each motor and a variety of intensities, with some very clever software libraries detailing how different actions and materials should behave. Not that I have any idea if that's even possible.

Buggy Loop

I don't know how 8 little motors can simulate 6 marbles rolling around inside a box, clanging against the walls and each other.

It sounds more like large motors which can be activated in a variety of areas along each motor and a variety of intensities, with some very clever software libraries detailing how different actions and materials should behave. Not that I have any idea if that's even possible.

8 motors? From where is that information?

Modern haptic feedback dropped ERM (Eccentric Rotating Mass Motor).

The thing that throws me off with HD rumble is that it does not seem to be LRA (Linear Resonant Actuators), LRAs should not give sensations specifically like balls rolling in a box, where your skin can detect them in 3D space.

My iphone being the SE model, i didn't get to try their 3D touch / Taptic engine, but i'm pretty sure their actuator is giving a vibration on the whole thing (phone) and not specific points on the skin, right?

What is this witchcraft? :eek:

Jedi2016

Well, we won't know for sure until it's released and someone does the inevitable teardown that first day.

Watching that video, it certainly explains the price point of the system and the Joycons. And it really makes me wonder why 1-2-Switch isn't included, since it acts as a demo for this sort of thing.. you think they'd want to push it as hard as they could, especially as it's something you have to experience and not just listen to people talk about.

All the time if the games allow it,Which should be all if not the majority of them since it's just an advanced rumble feature with sensitivity. Also Pro controllers have this feature too.

The real cool thing about this is when/if you try split joycons setup with one in each hand. You get HD rumble and the gyro feature which in combination is pretty nuts. Imagine playing Splatoon 2, another shooting game, or any type of action game with it.

That's awesome. So it works in handheld mode too I'm assuming?

Caelus

HD rumble + patent info definitely makes me think the Switch successor - whether or not they call it that or market it as merely the Switch 2 - will have the same set of features as right now, but will be much more beefed up and VR ready.

8 motors? From where is that information?

Modern haptic feedback dropped ERM (Eccentric Rotating Mass Motor).

The thing that throws me off with HD rumble is that it does not seem to be LRA (Linear Resonant Actuators), LRAs should not give sensations specifically like balls rolling in a box, where your skin can detect them in 3D space.

My iphone being the SE model, i didn't get to try their 3D touch / Taptic engine, but i'm pretty sure their actuator is giving a vibration on the whole thing (phone) and not specific points on the skin, right?

What is this witchcraft? :eek:

Oh there were just a few guesses on the first page saying it might have like 6-8 little motors, which I thought didn't make much sense considering the impressions we've been hearing.

I don't know technical mechanical terms but (if such a thing exists) it sounds like a single mass that can be vibrated at a large number (100+) of different coordinates on an X-Y plane with a variety of vibration intensities. Something like that could be programmed with a physics library quite easily to simulate balls rolling in a box.

Again, no idea if such a thing exists or is possible, that's just how I picture how HD rumble works in my mind.

Because if it's going to be anything like Nintendo's 3D, Nintendo's GamePad or Nintendo's motion controls, it might become a pointless gimmick that not a lot of developers take advantage of besides some simple stuff that only serves as a minor addition to the experience rather than an absolute game changer.

I'd say the criticism is validated, but Nintendo is free to prove everyone wrong. Otherwise it'll be just like the Kinect on the Xbox One.

Well, I guess so, but...

1. A lot of people like the 3DS 3d, especially on the New one. Look at the thread from a few weeks ago about people missing it.
2. Agree, gamepad kind of sucks. But it got us to the Switch.
3. Implying the motion controls is a pointless gimmick is short sighted and just undermines the argument you are trying to make. Not only did Sony copy it and then pjut it in all of their normal controllers, MS tried to copy it, and VR controllers would never have developed or taken off so quickly if Nintendo hadn't done it first. Maybe you don't like VR but yourself but without the Wiimote there would have been no incentive to develop more immersive versions of that type of gaming input that we are only now seeing pay off with the very accurate Joycons and the much refined Vive controllers (and soon we will see Vive 2 controllers which will be even more impressive)

GAMETA

Banned
You know, the ultimate HD Rumble of the Switch is so new and mysterious it generates butterflies in my stomach, and that goes to tickles in my spine and that creates goose pimples, and that penetrates my mind and then the whole big bang explosion.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

That's how it works i guess.

So someone pointed this out which I found to be extremely intriguing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw..._to_try_the_original_nintendo_hd_rumble_play/

For those of you who have never heard of this, there is an arcade version of Luigi's Mansion (typically at Dave & Busters in America - not sure where else you could find it). It uses a vacuum-shaped light gun controller with two main buttons: the trigger which activates the suction of the vacuum, and a top button which flashes a bright light to stun ghosts.

But one of the coolest aspects of this game is the multi-layered force feedback it gives when you play. If you simply suck with the vacuum, you can feel a minor "vacuum-y" rumble, very akin to a hand vacuum. But when you suck up big objects - certain enemies, coins, etc. - you feel a forceful "clunk" in the back of the controller. It's extremely satisfying.
Now, obviously this isn't the same technology as the actual HD rumble, but it's a great example of how "higher definition force feedback" can make for a much more immersive experience. I, personally, haven't used the Switch yet, but I'm expecting games that take advantage of HD Rumble to have the slight edge, with regards to immersion, than games that don't utilize it.

On a side note, Luigi's Mansion Arcade is pretty short - three stages, each with an end boss - and a ridiculously fun co-op game. There are actually a handful of Nintendo games at large arcades like Dave & Busters. Mario Kart GP DX is one of my favorites.

And dude, he's right! I loved the vacuum aspect of that game when I played it at the arcade. I loved the HD Rumble idea when the Switch event revealed the feature, now I can only be even more excited. I have to thank him so much for pointing this out, now I'm even more sure that HD Rumble is going to be revolutionary.

Green Yoshi

Well normal rumble is just a motor which spins, creating a vibration. Basically.

HD rumble uses linear actuators, similar to apple's "Taptic engine" which is what they use for the Force Touch stuff in the new iPhones and Apple Watch. I BELIEVE that these are different in that they are more like weighted electro magnets, rather than a simple spinning motor. This means you can create a much, much more subtle variety of sensations compared to a rumble motor which is pretty much just a spinning motor - all they can really do is produce differing speeds of vibration.

I'm not an expert myself but I'm sure others on here can give you more of a technical explanation of how the actuators actually work.
Some people are really shameless. He copyed every single word:

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
I don’t get why did it popping up now. Vid came out 18+ months ago.

Edit: Oh, it’s *that* Filip

Last edited:

Zannegan

Oh Filip. All you had to do was attribute the expert you took your explanation from. It would even have gone a fair way towards connecting you to your community. Le sigh...

Anyway, I really appreciate the accuracy of HD rumble. It's not a system seller or anything, but it's a solid improvement on an existing feature that I hope becomes standard for all next gen controllers.

It's capable of such subtle variation that it basically breaks lockpicking in Skyrim. Maybe for the next ES they'll go back to a multi-tumbler minigame.

Incredible bump

Agreed.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I wonder who came up with rumble. To me it's always been this gimmick that I never really wanted on. Most of the time it takes me out of the game rather than immerse me in it further. It's funny too because it really hasn't changed all that much since it's inception. You get some subtle uses (I honestly can't think of one really great rumble mechanic or innovation - using soft rumbles as an indication of something around me? Meh, big deal.), but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to the menu and turning rumble off after it annoys the shit out of me during a cutscene.

I wonder who came up with rumble. To me it's always been this gimmick that I never really wanted on. Most of the time it takes me out of the game rather than immerse me in it further. It's funny too because it really hasn't changed all that much since it's inception. You get some subtle uses (I honestly can't think of one really great rumble mechanic or innovation - using soft rumbles as an indication of something around me? Meh, big deal.), but 9 times out of 10 I'm going to the menu and turning rumble off after it annoys the shit out of me during a cutscene.
If I had to guess, I would say it comes from the arcade roots of videogames? Pinball machines often had "rumble" of sorts which made for wonderfully-tactile feedback while you played. To this day, the clack of the paddles on a genuine pinball machine makes all the difference.

Thunder Blade in 1987 had a vibrating joystick, preceding the N64's rumble pack by a full decade. Light-gun games like Time Crisis also had awesome force-feedback guns (arcade versions) back in 1995. I'm sure other arcade games had it too.

Nintendo, SEGA, and Sony all drew heavily from the innovations of the arcade scene. It seemed like a natural thing to add to controllers since arcades had it, too.

NickFire

That's a really good question. If I had to guess, I would say it comes from the arcade roots of videogames? Pinball machines often had "rumble" of sorts which made for wonderfully-tactile feedback while you played. To this day, the clack of the paddles on a genuine pinball machine makes all the difference.

Thunder Blade in 1987 had a vibrating joystick, preceding the N64's rumble pack by a full decade. Light-gun games like Time Crisis also had awesome force-feedback guns (arcade versions) back in 1995. I'm sure other arcade games had it too.

Nintendo, SEGA, and Sony all drew heavily from the innovations of the arcade scene. It seemed like a natural thing to add to controllers since arcades had it, too.

Anyone see what I did there?

NickFire

I had a great idea for a youtube channel in the shower this morning. I'm going to call it Brilliant Insight. Came up with the name when I saw a brillo pad in my line of sight.

Vawn

Banned
I had a great idea for a youtube channel in the shower this morning. I'm going to call it Brilliant Insight. Came up with the name when I saw a brillo pad in my line of sight.

Now that's too far. The Brillo corporation will sue you for plagiarism.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Best part is, the post isn't actually factually correct; the devices are LRA's, Linear Resonance Actuators, and the resonance aspect is what makes them interesting. A piston is a linear actuator, whereas this is more like a magnet sat on top of a speaker in a small sealed enclosure. The speaker is fed a certain frequency, and the magnet vibrates in response to it, generating various sensations.

Filip should have plagiarized this. LOL

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
That's a really good question. If I had to guess, I would say it comes from the arcade roots of videogames? Pinball machines often had "rumble" of sorts which made for wonderfully-tactile feedback while you played. To this day, the clack of the paddles on a genuine pinball machine makes all the difference.

Anyone see what I did there?

I actually learned a lot from this post of yours.

Thank you for the infos NickFire.

Top Bottom