• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How DuckDuckGo Was Caught Spying On You...

anthony2690

Gold Member
I think you should change your display picture to this, you're like a lean mean news thread machine.
yzKnMIw.jpg

Fbh

Damn that sucks. I like their android browser

So what's a good alternative. Brave ?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Dont use DDG, but always heard if you want to be as anti-google as possible, DDG was supposed to be the browser haven for user rights and privacy. Looks like they have some chummy partnership deal with Microsoft after all.

Never believe tech companies.

People grill banks as evil. Hey, at least they keep your money safe and any weird shit like fees are outlined in terms of service. Hardly anyone reads that crap, but it is there. No bank will ever say they got no fees, but then show a chart with 50 different ways they grill you $2 here or $5 there. Tech companies on the other hand will have their CEO say something (which you;d think is enough to trust someone), but their coders will do different shit behind the scenes.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They used to advertise themselves as the good people. Now They turned who they were trying to protect against us. The irony couldn't write itself anymore.

This aged like milk

Anything for a buck. Most businesses cave when dollar bills are dangled in their face.

If a bakery could be guaranteed they could sell chocolate cookies without real chocolate, but with mouse turds and nobody would ever notice, I'm sure some would do it to save ingredient costs.

SJRB

Gold Member
This blows, I switched to DuckDuckGo as my default search engine for all my devices not too long ago.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Without having to watch some obnoxious person perform for a camera and throw in filler for 90% of the video, is this the recent thing I saw about DDG not being allowed to completely block MS trackers using the DDG browser because of their arrangement with Bing? If that's the case, then it doesn't affect the search engine itself (except for where it's marked), just the browser.

Or is this something else?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Without having to watch some obnoxious person perform for a camera and throw in filler for 90% of the video, is this the recent thing I saw about DDG not being allowed to completely block MS trackers using the DDG browser because of their arrangement with Bing? If that's the case, then it doesn't affect the search engine itself (except for where it's marked), just the browser.

Or is this something else?
Its mostly tracks your registered system finger prints, or your pc info.

Once it has those info, any website can know who you are.

That is the problem. Browser or search, if they manage to get that info, then there is no need to hide your info, because your system identifier has already been accessed. And companies would simply know who you are.

He talks about that very well here on the video. It's something those big companies use to know who you are. So any website you use, would simply know who you are

kingfey

Banned
Man I can't keep up with this shit, what's wrong with Brave now too?
Any search engine that advertise themselves as protecting you, is just a lie.
These companies would make more money, when they simply sell your data. No company would pass those sweet offers.

Pejo

Gold Member
Any search engine that advertise themselves as protecting you, is just a lie.
These companies would make more money, when they simply sell your data. No company would pass those sweet offers.
Brave is a browser, you can select a number of different search engines from the options. I'm specifically asking why Brave isn't one of the best secure/private browsers anymore, since I heard it was one of the best just a few months ago.

kingfey

Banned
Brave is a browser, you can select a number of different search engines from the options. I'm specifically asking why Brave isn't one of the best secure/private browsers anymore, since I heard it was one of the best just a few months ago.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zd...ocompleting-urls-to-versions-it-profits-from/

If this old article anything to go by, they are favoring websites who pays them alot of money.

That kind of stuff is not good, when you want to have privacy.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Welp, my hatred for MS increases every day. Them, google, and Facebook wont ever stop poking sticks on our private information. Hope the ftc takes strong arm against these companies.
louise belcher laughing GIF

Yes!!! Let’s watch them burn!!!

But seriously now! If America adopted some of the European laws about tech and privacy we - humans would be in the better place!

All companies are selling your data and all companies are lying about not doing so. Even VPN companies are tracking you and selling your information on to 3rd parties, despite what they say. It's a billion dollar industry, and everyone wants a piece of the pie.

mutt765

If you like DDG's "bang!" system, add this as a new search engine in your browser: "https://farside.link/whoogle/search?q=%s"

farside.link will redirect you to a random instance of Whoogle, which is an open source private front-end to Google that also supports DDG's bang shortcuts.

Go to https://farside.link to see all the servers it can redirect to, everything on it is open source and privacy oriented. Searx and Searxng are also private search engines but they don't have bang shortcuts.

Last edited:

Shtef

This is only for the browser as I understand, not the search engine.
Either way we cannot trust any company with our privacy.

You can’t escape the spying. Your ISP is most likely does the lot of it. Unless you’re trying to find shit you shouldn’t just accept the world as it is. It’s only downhill from here.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was right, and this is just about the browser and MS.

Quote from the CEO of DDG, for anyone who wants to cut through the bullshit and FUD to find out what the issue here actually is. It suffers from the usual case of using many words to say nothing, but the main point is highlighted in red. That doesn't make it okay, and if you're on mobile there's a higher chance of you using DDG's browser than on desktop, but the thread title is clickbait. So no, DDG isn't spying on you, they just have a contractual obligation to not block (I think it's two) MS scripts before they load.

Hi, I'm the CEO & Founder of DuckDuckGo. To be clear (since I already see confusion in the comments), when you load our search results, you are anonymous, including ads. Also on 3rd-party websites we actually do block Microsoft 3rd-party cookies in our browsers plus more protections including fingerprinting protection. That is, this article is not about our search engine, but about our browsers -- we have browsers (really all-in-one privacy apps) for iOS, Android, and now Mac (in beta).

When most other browsers on the market talk about tracking protection they are usually referring to 3rd-party cookie protection and fingerprinting protection, and our browsers impose these same restrictions on all third-party tracking scripts, including those from Microsoft. We also have a lot of other above-and-beyond web protections that also apply to Microsoft scripts (and everyone else), e.g., Global Privacy Control, first-party cookie expiration, referrer header trimming, new cookie consent handling (in our Mac beta), fire button (one-click) data clearing, and more.

What this article is talking about specifically is another above-and-beyond protection that most browsers don't even attempt to do for web protection— stopping third-party tracking scripts from even loading on third-party websites -- because this can easily cause websites to break. But we've taken on that challenge because it makes for better privacy, and faster downloads -- we wrote a blog post about it here. Because we're doing this above-and-beyond protection where we can, and offer many other unique protections (e.g., Google AMP/FLEDGE/Topics protection, automatic HTTPS upgrading, tracking protection for *other* apps in Android, email protection to block trackers for emails sent to your regular inbox, etc.), users get way more privacy protection with our app than they would using other browsers. Our goal has always been to provide the most privacy we can in one download.

The issue at hand is, while most of our protections like 3rd-party cookie blocking apply to Microsoft scripts on 3rd-party sites (again, this is off of DuckDuckGo,com, i.e., not related to search), we are currently contractually restricted by Microsoft from completely stopping them from loading (the one above-and-beyond protection explained in the last paragraph) on 3rd party sites. We still restrict them though (e.g., no 3rd party cookies allowed). The original example was Workplace.com loading a LinkedIn.com script. Nevertheless, we have been and are working with Microsoft as we speak to reduce or remove this limited restriction.

I understand this is all rather confusing because it is a search syndication contract that is preventing us from doing a non-search thing. That's because our product is a bundle of multiple privacy protections, and this is a distribution requirement imposed on us as part of the search syndication agreement that helps us privately use some Bing results to provide you with better private search results overall. While a lot of what you see on our results page privately incorporates content from other sources, including our own indexes (e.g., Wikipedia, Local listings, Sports, etc.), we source most of our traditional links and images privately from Bing (though because of other search technology our link and image results still may look different). Really only two companies (Google and Microsoft) have a high-quality global web link index (because I believe it costs upwards of a billion dollars a year to do), and so literally every other global search engine needs to bootstrap with one or both of them to provide a mainstream search product. The same is true for maps btw -- only the biggest companies can similarly afford to put satellites up and send ground cars to take streetview pictures of every neighborhood.

Anyway, I hope this provides some helpful context. Taking a step back, I know our product is not perfect and will never be. Nothing can provide 100% protection. And we face many constraints: platform constraints (we can't offer all protections on every platform do to limited APIs or other restrictions), limited contractual constraints (like in this case), breakage constraints (blocking some things totally breaks web experiences), and of course the evolving tracking arms race that we constantly work to keep ahead of. That's why we have always been extremely careful to never promise anonymity when browsing outside our search engine, because that frankly isn’t possible. We're also working on updates to our app store descriptions to make this more clear. Holistically though I believe what we offer is the best thing out there for mainstream users who want simple privacy protection without breaking things, and that is our

Last edited:

Tams

If you're surprised by this, then you're an idiot.

I used DuckDuckGo for a short while, mainly because people were saying the search results are better. They weren't. And given that it's pretty much just Bing, I just use that now. I don't need 'bangs' as my browser has something similar, only I don't need to type an exclamation mark.

Tams

Browsers:
Brave
Vivaldi
LibreWolf

Search Engines:
Ecosia
SearX

Try them out for yourself and decide which Browser/Search engine works best for you. Mental Outlaw also does a few good videos covering this sort of stuff.
Ecosia also use Bing. You can wank over the fact that your searches 'plant' a few trees though.

For browers, well I use Vivaldi and like it, but it is still Chromium. Brave is too edgy and in too deep with the crypto trash. LibreWolf is typical OSS - neckbeards too busy fighting each other over how to develop it.

Javthusiast

Banned
I long ago gave up trusting any company and product to not collect and sell my data.

They all do it and just market their privacy bullshit as a selling point.

Love all the alternative suggestions here. But remember Duck Duck Go was one of those top alternatives not that long ago, and paraded in front of privacy lovers. Don't put your trust in any company when money's involved. They are for you until they suddenly aren't. There's no benefit to give anyone the benefit of the doubt anymore.

If you truly value your privacy, stay offline more, use the internet less. Otherwise, privacy is just the price to pay for convenience in this day and age, given how everything works.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Scare mongering BS lol

The site is paid for w/ Bing ads... they have this info on their site, they do not send any info to bing, bing does not see what you searched for or who you are. They use some sort of intermediary "Referer" which is how they hide what you searched for.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
For browers, well I use Vivaldi and like it, but it is still Chromium. Brave is too edgy and in too deep with the crypto trash. LibreWolf is typical OSS - neckbeards too busy fighting each other over how to develop it.
Vivaldi is the ex-Opera dev one, isn't it? It's probably the only one I haven't tried.

I use LW, mostly because I don't like how Chromium browsers feel. It's probably just because I'm used to FF, so anything else feels off. The only flaw that I haven't figured out a fix for is that forum notifications don't show without a refresh, but I can live with that.

Top Bottom