• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is GTA 4 on PC performance wise currently?

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I played it a couple months ago, and it gets really buggy playing over 60fps without mod fixes. The camera in cutscenes would zoom into the ether, never to return and the motorcycles would control like Niko was full throttling it on ice.

DXVK improves the performance greatly, also make sure you have steam overlay enabled. For some reason, the game becomes a stuttering mess without it.

The latest version of the game is decent. But you can always use DXVK and FusionFix for an almost flaweless experience.

Skifi28

We've finally reached a point where you can brutefoce decent performance on mid-range hardware. Still not quite amazing if you're interested in consistent 100+fps, but a locked 60fps experience is now quite nice.

Elysium44

Banned
We've finally reached a point where you can brutefoce decent performance on mid-range hardware. Still not quite amazing if you're interested in consistent 100+fps, but a locked 60fps experience is now quite nice.

Not on GTA IV. It doesn't run truly well on anything without mods.

I played it at the time it came out on my Q6600 and 9600 GT or GTS 250 (can't remember) and it doesn't particularly run better now on a 10th gen i5 and RTX 3060 without mods.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
On my last playthrough after upgrading to a modern CPU, I had a pretty much locked 60 experience wtithout any mods.

'Pretty much'. I guess it depends how sensitive you are to caring about dropped frames. There shouldn't be any, modern hardware should be running it at 200fps minimums when you think how ancient PC hardware of 2008 is nowadays. Xbox remains the best way to play this (unless you use the above mentioned mods) imo.

Skifi28

'Pretty much'. I guess it depends how sensitive you are to caring about dropped frames. There shouldn't be any, modern hardware should be running it at 200fps minimums when you think how ancient PC hardware of 2008 is nowadays. Xbox remains the best way to play this (unless you use the above mentioned mods) imo.
I certainly wasn't monitoring my framegraph 24/7, but I played for 30 or so hours and the only blatant issue were the choppy cutscenes. Could there have been some drops in the high 50s? Sure, but I don't think one can notice those in a modern Gsync monitor. Did the xbox version get a resolution bump? Because it looked too blurry even back then, I wouldn't want to play at 720p with extra blur added on top to gain a couple more frames.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
PC hardware didn't continue improving in a straight line. It went from single core performance to multiple cores, etc. I'm sure if GTA4 was given an under the hood makeover with modern tech in mind it would be the flawless 200fps, but since that isn't happening DXVK helps achieve largely the same result.

I can't imagine anyone that games on PC saying "I'd rather play on console than throw a couple fixes in and be able to utilise my modern hardware"

Elysium44

Banned
PC hardware didn't continue improving in a straight line. It went from single core performance to multiple cores, etc. I'm sure if GTA4 was given an under the hood makeover with modern tech in mind it would be the flawless 200fps, but since that isn't happening DXVK helps achieve largely the same result.

I can't imagine anyone that games on PC saying "I'd rather play on console than throw a couple fixes in and be able to utilise my modern hardware"

You're probably right. It is nuts that modern CPUs and GPUs don't make mincemeat of this game by default though. I don't know if it scales beyond four cores but certainly it runs a lot better on four than two, it was controversial at the time for running better on a 2.4GHz Q6600 than the then-gaming king E8500 dual core.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Shame that the game hasn't been properly adapted for more modern HW. A game like this should run at 4k144 locked with enhanced settings and have less issues but it is a old game by today's standards.

StereoVsn

I certainly wasn't monitoring my framegraph 24/7, but I played for 30 or so hours and the only blatant issue were the choppy cutscenes. Could there have been some drops in the high 50s? Sure, but I don't think one can notice those in a modern Gsync monitor. Did the xbox version get a resolution bump? Because it looked too blurry even back then, I wouldn't want to play at 720p with extra blur added on top to gain a couple more frames.
I think it got 60fps boost if running on One X/XSX, but I don’t believe it had a resolution boost.

That said it is not too bad on XSX with a TV that can do decent upscaling.

Elysium44

Banned
I think it got 60fps boost if running on One X/XSX, but I don’t believe it had a resolution boost.

That said it is not too bad on XSX with a TV that can do decent upscaling.

The framerate on the 360 is actually unlocked (up to 60fps) so it isn't FPS Boost, it's just the power of the modern consoles. It is unfortunately still 720p but is still a very good looking game and was way ahead of its time.

Considering the game was designed to be ran around 30 fps and even 60 fps causes physics problems that even break the final mission, you should be fine. My Ryzen 7950x3D and 4090 still struggles to lock 144 fps with modest view distance slider settings and DXVK installed.

Senua

The framerate on the 360 is actually unlocked (up to 60fps) so it isn't FPS Boost, it's just the power of the modern consoles. It is unfortunately still 720p but is still a very good looking game and was way ahead of its time.
The IQ is just so poor on 360, I remember even on release. It just assumed it was sub native 720p but it wasn't, it's just the looks like a smudged mess, it's like the PC version with the definition option switched off.

damiank

Mine was installed from DVD cause i couldn't force rgsc ver to work with that. You can downgrade steam version tho.

YCoCg

Fusion Fix is a requirement not just for the fixes but because it adds AA options like FXAA, SMAA, SSAA, and the best is the PCSS shadows, really helps lift the game up compared to the console versions. Crazy how modders are the ones who fixed this port when Rockstar ignores this game even existed.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
With DXVK (steam version) I had an almost stutter free experience running the game at 5K 60 FPS.

With [insert favorite political candidate] winning the election this year, I had a stutter-free experience running the game at 16k@480fps with all settings maxed out by utilizing newfangled quantum technology from the year [insert year that might contain this technology].

Come at me, [insert slang pronoun]!

Doesn't the framerate being over 30 fps eff up the final mission? Think it does, and at least on PC, you can set a framecap to at least pass the mission.

yohan12

I just finished the main story yesterday. Mods like fusion fix and DXVK are essential. I try to stay as close to vanilla as possible, but I found the textures to be pretty bad above 1080p, so I recommend some upscaled textures/characters. You'll also want to downgrade the radio stations to get the original experience.

YCoCg

Is there a fix to center the camera behind the car?

but I found the textures to be pretty bad above 1080p, so I recommend some upscaled textures/characters.
This mod is brilliant for the vehicles, the guy tracked down most of the source textures and the license plates are a huge improvement over the originals:

Neilg

I bought it last year and attempted to run it on a ryzen and 4090. I ran it without mods, it worked, I spent 2 hours following a mod guide to make it look better, it completely broke the game and had a ton of visual issues, I spent 4 hours trying to get it to run the next day, gave up and never played it on PC

Last edited:

YCoCg

I bought it last year and attempted to run it on a ryzen and 4090. I ran it without mods, it worked, I spent 2 hours following a mod guide to make it look better, it completely broke the game and had a ton of visual issues, I spent 4 hours trying to get it to run the next day, gave up and never played it on PC
A lot of mod guides are outdated, you don't really need to downgrade the game anymore unless you want to play the old multiplayer modes. The biggest loss is ENB graphics mods, which only work properly on an ancient version of the game.

Truthfully the graphics have been fixed up pretty well enough with Fusion Fix which also restores the missing effects which were in the console version.

I tried the Lost and damned section recently and thought it looked awful at 4k. Maybe I did something wrong with settings, but it looked extremely dated. My GFWL version is hiding somewhere.

YCoCg

I tried the Lost and damned section recently and thought it looked awful at 4k. Maybe I did something wrong with settings, but it looked extremely dated. My GFWL version is hiding somewhere.
The Lost and Damned has a noise filter, this can be turned off in the display settings.

nikos

Just picked it up on the Steam sale. Running the latest version + Fusion Fix for RAW Input, FOV, Anti-Aliasing, etc. That + DSR to 1.78x or 2.25x finally yielded decent image quality. Brute forcing it to triple digit frames at 5760x2400 with a 7800X3D / 4090.

Also played briefly on Steam Deck OLED and it runs well at default settings, maybe even slightly higher.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

There was a Remaster planned but i've read somewhere it was scrapped. Too bad.
Man, GTA IV with DLCs and Vice City are by far my favorite. I would have loved a proper GTA IV remaster and Vice-City Remake (just expanded and updated version of the original not the horror story trilogy “remaster”).

StereoVsn

Just picked it up on the Steam sale. Running the latest version + Fusion Fix for RAW Input, FOV, Anti-Aliasing, etc. That + DSR to 1.78x or 2.25x finally yielded decent image quality. Brute forcing it to triple digit frames at 5760x2400 with a 7800X3D / 4090.

Also played briefly on Steam Deck OLED and it runs well at default settings, maybe even slightly higher.
I am going to try it out. Only have a 3080Ti but I am ok with 60fps.

nkarafo

I found that this fork of DXVK does a better job for me: https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync/-/releases

I'm getting 60fps all the time with it, sometimes i do get some annoying lag spikes but 99% of the time it's smooth.

I also use FusionFix and with my settings the game looks great. And i added this little mod that makes the city looks even more amazing at night: https://github.com/ThirteenAG/III.VC.SA.IV.Project2DFX/releases/tag/gtaiv

With these mods the game looks and runs well enough to compare with modern games i feel and i haven't even used any other major graphics overhaul mod.

I'm doing a full playthrough right now. Heck, i still think this particular open world city is the best in gaming so far. So much density, verticality and detail.

nikos

Turns out I was using the 64bit version of DXVK, which did nothing. Tried 32bit and it limited my resolution options. Decided not to bother with it since the framerate is already good for me.

Here are some more tweaks:

Last time I tried it it ran poorly even with all the fixes. Constant framepacing issues and constant pop-in even when running off a 4th gen NVMe SSD on top of the new Rockstar Launcher bullshit.

I am happy I can at least enjoy it on my Series S even with a slighly lower resolution and excessive bloom.

Last edited:

Tunned

I fully replayed IV and TLAD recently on my OLED Steam Deck. I had the frame rate locked at 45fps, all setting maxed out except for traffic density and draw distance, which were at the middle. I can say I experienced little to no frame rate dips, and the game looked brilliant on the small screen. I guess Valve's proton layer works wonders, because no mods were needed to improve performance.

Top Bottom