• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is this shit legal? (Misleading mobile game advertising)

Yes, it's illegal and yes, they don't give a damn. If Google/Apple forces them to change it they'll just plagiarize something else. Mobile market is a mess.

Is this an Assassin's Creed fanart? because now I want this assassin in the new AC lol

It's a fanart that is some years old now, showing a potential female assassin during french revolution

I remember seeing this same thing a while back. Some shitty company was usin a Devil May Cry 4 screenshot for their strategy game. I was sickened, spent 30 minutes trying to track some email or complaint for down in FB or the Apps homepage, found nothing, and then I quit with my crushed spirit. This needs to stop, but it never will.

ScribbleD

Don't know about you guys, but I was playing Legend: Online all along.

it-was-me-austin-o.gif

Shaanyboi

Banned
Mobile development being heavily populated by plagiaristic hacks isn't anything new. Companies need to be better about tearing these guys a new one though... Atleast when it's so outright like this.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Misleading ads on Facebook?

IP lawyers hate him! At first I thought this was just another game, then something amazing happened!

The Play Store has this app that's consistently in the Most Downloaded section, it uses screenshot from a Pokémon Minecraft mod.

Apparently the game literally doesn't function at all, it's a $2.99 scam. It really grinds my gears because it combines copyright infringement, false advertising and sells you a broken product.

How it seems to constantly avoid being taken down is beyond me. But stuff like that is why mobile gaming is such a joke and why actual good mobile games don't even get to earn money for their work, vultures and scam artists flood the market with garbage.

Rapstah

The Play Store has this app that's consistently in the Most Downloaded section, it uses screenshot from a Pokémon Minecraft mod.

Apparently the game literally doesn't function at all, it's a $2.99 scam. It really grinds my gears because it combines copyright infringement, false advertising and sells you a broken product.

How it seems to constantly avoid being taken down is beyond me. But stuff like that is why mobile gaming is such a joke and why actual good mobile games don't even get to earn money for their work, vultures and scam artists flood the market with garbage.

With how much money the major app store owners should have, it's baffling to me that they don't have three or four people employed each just to check if the shit that ends up in the top ten lists isn't obviously illegal in any of the six hundred obvious ways.

M3d10n

Until less than a year ago, there were actual apps in the Apple App Store named "God of War", "Counter Strike" and many others, complete with icons, screenshots and descriptions matching their source material. When downloaded, they would either turn out to be crappy match-3 or snake games or be simply non-functional, crashing right away.

How did they get past Apple's review? Simple: they were uploaded as entirely different games (the actual match-3 or snake puzzle games) and after they were approved they got their names and screenshots changed.

That's why now Apple only allows screenshots to be uploaded when you submit an app update, so they can be go through review as well. But boy, it took them years to plug that hole.

Ennoia

Banned
Well if anyone care about the truth:

The product in #1 and #11 is published by a Chinese company (I know this is not surprising god damn it), ELEX-TECH or 智明星通 in Chinese.

And one of the richest IT and game company in this world, Tencent, aka the owner of riot games and half epic games and a piece of Activision Blizzard, is the main investor of elex-tech. I guess this is not surprising too.

Found another one lol:

EJjfwpo.jpg

And this one is published by another Chinese company R2games, but R2games is a bit funnier than other Chinese game companies because their boss is American, just Google his name "Jared Psigoda" or click this

Son Of D

Whilst not as bad as the others in the thread, I see this game being advertised a lot on Facebook and after a while they change the HUD to that of a different popular RPG.

kdkhc9u3d.png

(Kingdom Hearts 1 HUD)

kdff2hu2w.png

(Final Fantasy HUD. I'll go with IV, V and VI influenced)

There was also one with the battle HUD from Pokémon Red and Blue but I don't have a screen.

Velcro Fly

This is why no one can take mobile gaming seriously. Shit like this would never fly on anything with any sort of regulation.

Its all a garbage wasteland of ripoffs, copyright infringement and scams. The future of gaming and its most popular and profitable element.

Fuck everything.

Top Bottom