• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Dan Yo said:
It's unfair to the girls because the majority of the boys are not going to wrestle with them the same way they would with another guy. The ones that do will overpower them, and the ones that don't aren't giving them a real fight anyway. It's unfair to her as well. Albeit not as unfair as it is to the guys having to be put in that situation in the first place.
SMH.. Have you ever wrestled before? Or competed in any individual sport or martial art? You're either blinded by your own perceptions of chivalry or honestly, refuse to acknowledge the strength of women as human beings.

You don't know what you're talking about. Real men, and the best competitors give their best out there at every opportunity. And not every man giving his 100% will beat a woman at her best.

I_D

Dan Yo said:
It ends up not being fair to the boys or the girls. Which is why any sane sports program separates the boys from the girls.

You should go spar a female blackbelt. It'd be pretty funny to see you get your ass kicked by some tiny girl.

Provided the weight class is realistic, females can be just as capable as males in nearly any sport. Only the heavier weight classes make a difference, simply because women cannot bulk up as much as men.

In this particular instance, the girl is just as likely to succeed as the boy.

As for whatever "pressure" you seem to be implying, that's just relativistic nonsense. There wouldn't be any reason for a guy to pull his punches if society recognized how capable females actually are. The only reason a guy fighting a girl feels "bad" is because society tells him to.
There are tons of females who could whip the shit out of most guys. It's just a matter of training.

Dan Yo

Banned
Immortal_Daemon said:
You should go spar a female blackbelt. It'd be pretty funny to see you get your ass kicked by some tiny girl.

Provided the weight class is realistic, females can be just as capable as males in nearly any sport. Only the heavier weight classes make a difference, simply because women cannot bulk up as much as men.

As for whatever "pressure" you seem to be implying, that's just relativistic nonsense. There wouldn't be any reason for a guy to pull his punches if society recognized how capable females actually are. The only reason a guy fighting a girl feels "bad" is because society tells him to.
There are tons of females who could whip the shit out of most guys. It's just a matter of training.
I'm sure there are some trained female fighters that could beat up quite a few out of shape non-trained men. But there are no female fighters that are going to step in the ring with a trained male fighter and do anything but get torn to shreds. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.

I think Hollywood has really warped the perceptions of a lot of people. You do realize that Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill were fictional, right?

Dan Yo said:
I'm sure there are some trained female fighters that could beat up quite a few out of shape non-trained men. But there are no female fighters that are going to step in the ring with a trained male fighter and do anything but get torn to shreds. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.

I think Hollywood has really warped the perceptions of a lot of people. You do realize that Charlie's Angels and Kill Bill were fictional, right?

And yet they do so in tourneys all the time. But you keep pretending this doesn't happen.

Because you're crazy.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
DryEyeRelief said:
iono. it's just funny that he has a mass effect avatar.
No girls in his squad - They stay in the mess hall and infirmary where they belong!

Immortal_Daemon said:

Women are at a disadvantage in just about every area of a sport. Lower lung capacity, bone mass, muscle mass, reach, and height. Army testing has shown a tiny minority of women can meet the acceptable standard of physical capability.

Then you have the societal pressure of not wanting to harm a woman. There's a good reason there are different sex classes in sport.

I_D

Dan Yo said:
But there are no female fighters that are going to step in the ring with a trained male fighter and do anything but get torn to shreds. To suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.

Hence the aforementioned need for weight classes.

I have seen multiple women win local MMA tournaments against plenty of men. Anecdotal, sure, but hardly abnormal.

Women can be much stronger than you seem to think. They just need to work out like everybody else.

Dan Yo

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Yeah, if the weight class is similar and at the lower end of the spectrum, the strength difference is much less pronounced or even non-existent, in some cases.
Lower end of the weight spectrum or not, males still have much higher muscle density than women.

DY_nasty

TheHeretic said:
Women are at a disadvantage in just about every area of a sport. Lower lung capacity, bone mass, muscle mass, reach, and height. Army testing has shown a tiny minority of women can meet the acceptable standard of physical capability.

Then you have the societal pressure of not wanting to harm a woman. There's a good reason there are different sex classes in sport.
There are different divisions for a reason. This is true. HOWEVER, in the situation we have here where many females have shown to not only be capable but successful, why shouldn't they be allowed to participate?

Even though they're at a disadvantage, and aware of it, they've been capable athletes.

This dude seems to keep going on like this girl hasn't been training and busting her ass like the rest of her teammates which is a huge insult imo

Dan Yo said:
Lower end of the weight spectrum or not, males still have much higher muscle density than women.

Good thing wrestling isn't solely based on strength. Because women beat men in tourneys all the time.

You consistently disrespect women and their capabilities in this thread. Why is that?

Did something happen to you as a child?

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:
No girls in his squad - They stay in the mess hall and infirmary where they belong!
Will you quit it? I never said women can't compete in sports. Just that men and women should not be pitted against each other.

DY_nasty said:
There are different divisions for a reason. This is true. HOWEVER, in the situation we have here where many females have shown to not only be capable but successful, why shouldn't they be allowed to participate?

Even though they're at a disadvantage, and aware of it, they've been capable athletes.

This dude seems to keep going on like this girl hasn't been training and busting her ass like the rest of her teammates which is a huge insult imo
This dude is a high school student who didn't feel comfortable wrestling a woman, who cares?

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:
Will you quit it? I never said women can't compete in sports. Just that men and women should not be pitted against each other.
And you have yet to give a good reason as to why she shouldn't be there if she's proven that she belongs.

All you've done is run off crap like "the guys would crush her instantly" "they can't touch her without feeling bad" "she should join another sort of girls team... somewhere".
TheHeretic said:
This dude is a high school student who didn't feel comfortable wrestling a woman, who cares?
Textbook waste of space on a message board. You can go to every thread on every site and post "who cares" and be just as irrelevant in every single discussion. Stay free.

TheHeretic said:

No no. Who cares is not an allowed response in ANY thread. People care.

I've seen who cares in 6-7 threads today. WTF?

Dan Yo said:

and you just implied that all of the girl's wins could only be possible through forfeit.

and that a physically disadvantaged athlete (female) has a lesser burden than the normal dudes who compete because, just because.

Kalnos

Banned
I don't know which side is more retarded in this argument, but it's entertaining regardless.

It has been "no u" for the past 3 pages.

Kalnos said:
I don't know which side is more retarded in this argument, but it's entertaining regardless.

It has been "no u" for the past 3 pages.

Actually we've been asking for proof of his wild statements and he refuses but thanks for failing reading comprehension.

Dan Yo

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Good thing wrestling isn't solely based on strength. Because women beat men in tourneys all the time.

You consistently disrespect women and their capabilities in this thread. Why is that?

A great majority of sports, including wrestling are based on strength, speed, agility, and endurance. All of which men excel at over women. Significantly.

You act as if my belief that the sexes should not be mixed in sports is some sort of new idea. This has always been the case. Because it makes sense. I'm completely dumbfounded to hear that that some people have actually allowed this to go on.

Dan Yo said:
A great majority of sports, including wrestling are based on strength, speed, agility, and endurance. All of which men excel at over women. Significantly.

You act as if my belief that the sexes should not be mixed in sports is some sort of new idea. This has always been the case. Because it makes sense. I'm completely dumbfounded to hear that this sport has actually allowed this to go on.

And yet you are oblivious to the fact that this girl earned her spot and could compete on that level.

Why is that?

TheHeretic said:
Crazy people care, maybe.

Maybe. It's still beyond retarded to post who cares in any thread. Don't do it.

Kalnos

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Actually we've been asking for proof of his wild statements and he refuses but thanks for failing reading comprehension.

Actually, it has been more of you throwing ad hominem at him and then falling for his bait (whether intentional or not) over and over again while you both are making no progress in the argument. I can't decide whether that makes you more retarded than him, or just as.

DY_nasty

Dan Yo said:

You act as if my belief that the sexes should not be mixed in sports is some sort of new idea. This has always been the case. Because it makes sense. I'm completely dumbfounded to hear that this sport has actually allowed this to go on.
Further proof that you have no clue what the hell you're talking about. The strongest wrestler doesn't always win. Far from it. Wrestling is about skill, and more times than not skill beats strength in wrestling.

Its not about the division of the sexes. Never was in this case. Don't know why you keep bringing it up after I've explained it to you numerous times that there will probably never be a solid girls wrestling division in high schools across the US. I, and several others, have stated that if a girl does everything necessary to compete amongst men, then she should have that right to compete especially if she has proven to be successful against men throughout an entire season.

Instead, you've made up crap like guys would crush her without any effort whatsoever which is just flatout not true and suggested that she join another girls' club that wouldn't put her in danger or something (not cheerleading I hope, way more likely to get hurt doing that than wrestling).

Kalnos said:
Actually, it has been more of you throwing ad hominem at him and then falling for his bait (whether intentional or not) over and over again while you both are making no progress in the argument. I can't decide whether that makes you more retarded than him, or just as.

Again failing to read thread. The abuse is directly caused by his steadfastly ignoring salient points, and then making bold and unsupported idiocy.

Care to try again? If anyone is retarded, it would be you unable to decipher a simple thread.

krypt0nian said:
And yet you are oblivious to the fact that this girl earned her spot and could compete on that level.

Why is that?

Maybe. It's still beyond retarded to post who cares in any thread. Don't do it.
I made a post on the issue, and your reaction to this story remains bizarre. This is high school wrestling, not the embodiment of the feminist cause. There are perfectly reasonable reasons why some 17 some old made this decision, you are just insulting people like this story means anything, which it does not.

TheHeretic said:
I made a post on the issue, and your reaction to this story remains bizarre. This is high school wrestling, not the embodiment of the feminist cause. There are perfectly reasonable reasons why some 17 some old made this decision, you are just insulting people like this story means anything, which it does not.

Cool.

Just like in any thread you post who cares in, the answer would be, the people posting.

Plus no one said it was the embodiment of the feminist cause. But good on you for projecting.

DY_nasty

TheHeretic said:
The main one being that he's sexist or grounded in sexist beliefs.

Its not so much feminism as it is showing respect for a fellow athlete. Its when people go off saying nonsensical things like "she'd be crushed and ripped apart by a man who didn't make a strong, conscious effort to control his strength" that it turns into the crap you've seen above.

DY_nasty said:
The main one being that he's sexist or grounded in sexist beliefs.

Its not so much feminism as it is showing respect for a fellow athlete. Its when people go off saying nonsensical things like "she'd be crushed and ripped apart by a man who didn't make a strong, conscious effort to control his strength" that it turns into the crap you've seen above.

Exactly. I've said repeatedly that its about respecting your competitor and the effort that got him/her to the competition.

Person 1: *Argument*

Person 2: *Argument*

---

"I'M RIGHT"

"NO I AM"

"U DUMB"

"NO U"

Situation -> Taking of sides -> Disagreement -> Name calling

Stay classy, GAF.

Kalnos

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Again failing to read thread. The abuse is directly caused by his steadfastly ignoring salient points, and then making bold and unsupported idiocy.

Care to try again? If anyone is retarded, it would be you unable to decipher a simple thread.

krypt0nian said:
Because you're crazy.

krypt0nian said:

krypt0nian said:
OK now. Dumbass, she beat guys over and over.

krypt0nian said:
You know how dumb that post sounded? You're moaning like an old grandma.

Man, you're pretty upset in this thread, this is just two pages of your ad hominem that I've quoted. This has nothing to do with reading comprehension, because nothing I said even relates to the thread, just to how you're arguing a pointless argument.

Legato.Reborn- said:
Person 1: *Argument*

Person 2: *Argument*

---

"I'M RIGHT"

"NO I AM"

"U DUMB"

"NO U"

Situation -> Taking of sides -> Disagreement -> Name calling

Stay classy, GAF.

And another cannot read the thread. GAF is full of them.

He is either stupid or willfully ignorant if he keeps making claims without backing them up.

Kalnos said:
Man, you're pretty upset in this thread, this is just two pages of your ad hominem that I've quoted. This has nothing to do with reading comprehension, because nothing I said even relates to thread, just to how you're arguing a pointless argument.

Cool. I take credit for all of those. Every argument is pointless on the internet.

But the underlying thing has been proven over and over yet Dan keeps trolling or is legitimately stupid.

So to ignore the actual points and go LOL RETARDED points towards you, not the thread.

Dan Yo

Banned
DY_nasty said:
Further proof that you have no clue what the hell you're talking about. The strongest wrestler doesn't always win. Far from it. Wrestling is about skill, and more times than not skill beats strength in wrestling.

Its not about the division of the sexes. Never was in this case. Don't know why you keep bringing it up after I've explained it to you numerous times that there will probably never be a solid girls wrestling division in high schools across the US. I, and several others, have stated that if a girl does everything necessary to compete amongst men, then she should have that right to compete especially if she has proven to be successful against men throughout an entire season.

Instead, you've made up crap like guys would crush her without any effort whatsoever which is just flatout not true and suggested that she join another girls' club that wouldn't put her in danger or something (not cheerleading I hope, way more likely to get hurt doing that than wrestling).
*Sigh* The reason she should not compete with the boys is not because they would crush her, and not because the school has alternative sports for her to compete in, but because it puts the boys in a compromising and uncomfortable position. That is why this boy forfeited, and that is why many boys before him wrestled her without feeling like they could give it their all and treat it as anything other than an emasculating situation for them to be ridiculed, regardless of outcome. Because that's what it is. A lose-lose situation for that boy.

I'm sure the next response will be "but she earned her spot! She deserves it!" Because you obviously don't understand what I'm saying, but whatever. Good night.

DY_nasty

lol kryp is a dick for real
Dan Yo said:
*Sigh* The reason she should not compete with the boys is not because they would crush her, and not because the school has alternative sports for her to compete in, but because it puts the boys in a compromising and uncomfortable position. That is why this boy forfeited, and that is why many boys before him wrestled her without feeling like they could give it their all and treat it as anything other than an emasculating situation for them to be ridiculed, regardless of outcome. Because that's what it is. A lose-lose situation for that boy.

I'm sure the next response will be "but she earned her spot! She deserves it!" Because you obviously don't understand what I'm saying, but whatever. Good night.
Massive, ungrounded assumptions based on your beliefs that come from naivety regarding the sport in general.

Not everyone is going to pull punches just because she's a girl. Hell, the majority won't for the single reason that they don't want to be the guy who got beat by a girl. Regardless, those are silly reasons in the first place.

Kalnos said:

Calling people retarded and then misusing ad hominem doesn't make you look good.

Dresden

Man, some of you guys are so damn wrong. This girl beat down dude after dude to get there. I doubt every single one of them felt her boobs brush against their tights and immediately wilted.

Dan Yo said:
Why are you so certain about this? Goddamn.

krypt0nian said:

Why is that?

I'd like to step in here before you jump off the roof and point something out. If his point is that women generally speaking can't physically compete with men, then harping on the fact that this girl can compete isn't disproving anything. You are assuming he is saying "no woman has ever been a match for any man" and he's not. Someone would have to be profoundly stupid to think there are not exceptions.

The reason for separated sports is keep the group (male or female) with others who are more likely to be on an equal physical footing. It's really quite similar to weight classes in boxing, and weight classes don't mean that some welterweight can't K.O. some heavyweight out there.

LaserBuddha said:
I'd like to step in here before you and point something out. If his point is that women generally speaking can't physically compete with men, then harping on the fact that this girl can compete isn't disproving anything. You are assuming he is saying "no woman has ever been a match for any man" and he's not. Someone would have to be profoundly stupid to think there are not exceptions.

The reason for separated sports is keep the group (male or female) with others who are more likely to be on an equal physical footing. It's really quite similar to weight classes in boxing, and weight classes don't mean that some welterweight can't K.O. some heavyweight out there.

True, and I'm saying in cases like this, there is no reason she shouldn't be able to compete. If the person in question couldn't manage, then and only then should they be excluded from the team based on performance, not gender.

He's making things up based on his assumptions. I'm working from the fact that the girl earned her way to where she was and should be respected for that.

Door2Dawn said:
krypt0nian, a fierce defender for women wrestlers everywhere!

I will fuck shit up, boyee! Rull talk.

amazons4.jpg

Kalnos said:
I'm not doing it for the sake of argument, a pretty clear difference here.

Was he doing it for the sake of argument?

What you quoted were just plain insults after belaboring a point over and over due to lack of acknowledgment.

krypt0nian said:
True, and I'm saying in cases like this, there is no reason she shouldn't be able to compete. If the person in question couldn't manage, then and only then should they be excluded from the team based on performance, not gender.

He's making things up based on his assumptions. I'm working from the fact that the girl earned her way to where she was and should be respected for that.

I will fuck shit up, boyee! Rull talk.

Setting this unique situation aside (the league included women already, so this is really about that one guy she was up against), I'll just share my thoughts on integrating men and women into currently-segregated sports.

Lets say you combine the women's and men's leagues of MMA, boxing, basketball, football, etc. There will of course be exceptional females that would hold their own against the best of the men. However, what comes before that is an uncomfortably lopsided situation where most of the lower tier of females are outclassed (in team sports) or badly beaten (in 1v1 sports). It isn't about guts or training, biology has dictated an average result across a large enough sample.

No one wants to see a big display of "look how this one gender generally physically dominates this other gender". Not exactly feelgood entertainment. Since no one wants to see it, then it isn't going to be done, regardless of the morality of it.

This Thread Hit and Run is brought to you by Sex Panther Cologne.

LaserBuddha said:
Setting this unique situation aside (the league included women already, so this is really about that one guy she was up against), I'll just share my thoughts on integrating men and women into currently-segregated sports.

Lets say you combine the women's and men's leagues of MMA, boxing, basketball, football, etc. There will of course be exceptional females that would hold their own against the best of the men. However, what comes before that is an uncomfortably lopsided situation where most of the lower tier of females are outclassed (in team sports) or badly beaten (in 1v1 sports). It isn't about guts or training, biology has dictated an average result across a large enough sample.

No one wants to see a big display of "look how this one gender generally physically dominates this other gender". Not exactly feelgood entertainment. Since no one wants to see it, then it isn't going to be done, regardless of the morality of it.
You mad? There would be exactly 0 women who would hold their own against the best of men in those sports; if you had said bowling, darts, and e-sports, you wouldn't have sounded crazy.

Bungalow Bob said:
You mad? There would be exactly 0 women who would hold their own against the best of men in those sports; if you had said bowling, darts, and e-sports, you wouldn't have sounded crazy.

I'm trying to be politically smooth on the approach! Please stop pointing at my trojan horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom