• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive is $799, ships early April 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Fuck you god dammit!

As if the wait isn't unbearable already. I need to stop checking this thread.

like Moses coming down from the mount.

shower us with the gospel

Wait, you got it delivered already? Or did you go to some demo station?

saint-gaben.jpeg

Rejoice fellow zealot.

Not allowed to say until Tuesday.

I CAN say the headset is really light, the strap material feels like a higher quality version of the stuff they use on gym sneakers. The ones that breath.

The wires are a little obnoxious and garish. Reminded me of the matrix.

It fit with my glasses, strap adjustable from the sides with some knobby dealy on the right to adjust the lenses.

Initial setup is done through an application you download from HTC. You can choose where the steam library is installed, and which drive to use for vive specific installs.

Can't give game specifics, but walking and manipulating things in VR was like when I saw Mario 64 for the first time. And doing even mundane simplistic shit made me giggle and vibrate like a fucktard.

I'm pretty damn jaded as a gamer, and the feels from playing...man....MAN, this thing HAS to succeed.

Cartman86

Banned

I CAN say the headset is really light, the strap material feels like a higher quality version of the stuff they use on gym sneakers. The ones that breath.

It fit with my glasses, strap adjustable from the sides with some knobby dealy on the right to adjust the lenses.

Initial setup is done through an application you download from HTC. You can choose where the steam library is installed, and which drive to use for vive specific installs.

Can't give game specifics, but walking and manipulating things in VR was like when I saw Mario 64 for the first time. And doing even mundane simplistic shit made me giggle and vibrate like a fucktard.

I'm pretty damn jaded as a gamer, and the feels from playing...man....MAN, this thing HAS to succeed.

Yep exactly my experience. It becomes this face of God moment where you FEEL something that you know if others could only just try they would feel it too, but until they have witnessed it you sound like a person who thought they saw God while high on something, or simply someone who just saw a cool new video game and really liked it. It's so far beyond that though. Room scale and tracked controllers are everything and it will only get better. Can't wait for people to see specifically what I saw.

Yep exactly my experience. It becomes this face of God moment where you FEEL something that you know if others could only just try they would feel it too, but until they have witnessed it you sound like a person who thought they saw God while high on something, or simply someone who just saw a cool new video game and really liked it. It's so far beyond that though. Room scale and tracked controllers are everything and it will only get better. Can't wait for people to see specifically what I saw.

mQeumqB.jpg

us on Tuesday (or sooner for some of you lucky bastards)

o7

On startup they run at full blast and are red. After pressing the button on the back I can get one lighthouse to be white but no channel letters appear I followed the firmware update instructions here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/HowTo_Update_Firmware

It continues to do this even with the sync cable in use.

I have not seen the letters (a, b, or c) glow once

If anyone could help me out that would be amazing!

Remove the sync cable
Turn on both lighthouses facing eachother 1meter apart
Wait 2 minutes
See if they have the b and c in the LED indicator.

viveks86

Nice!!! Man I don't think I can contain myself for 5 more days!

Clawww

erowid reports for HTC vive incoming

Can anyone a bit tech savvy help me?

Pre-ordered the Vive. Ran Valve's software, tested on the lower end of green, "ready", bordering on capable. Rig's i5 3970 3.4 Ghz, 16 gigs, 970 gtx. I'm feeling I'm on the border of insufficient, and am wondering if they're any out there that could recommend me pertinent upgrades to bring my PC up to giving VR its fullest potential? CPU appears to be what I need currently, as even though it's below recommended it apparently still suffices by this metric. I'm not one overly confident in understanding what's necessary here. Is my system capable? The test appears so, but comes with a disclaimer that positional tracking is not accounted for towards the burden it'll impose on the CPU, which, as far as I'm aware, is below recommended as it stands. How much will this affect what I need?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I'd just like to know if there's anything I should invest in before getting (what could amount to) a paperweight at my doorstep?

Monger

Well this is my new OT home I guess.

As a DK1 and DK2 owner, I was very disappointed to have to cancel my rift pre-order. I just couldn't take it. Poor form on Oculus part.

I went ahead and put in my Vive pre-order. You guys seem much less depressed over here, so I guess I don't mind waiting a month. Choo choo.

It's hard not to smile when there are review teasers like this one from Polygon to look forward to. I really want to know what he's saying "that is un-fucking real" about at the end.

alexbull_uk

MINIMI:
Processor: i7-5930K
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 2 GB available space

Yo wth

Minimum specs for theBlu is a 980? and 32gigs or ram???

wtf, 32GB of RAM? No way.

MINIMI:
Processor: i7-5930K
Memory: 32 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 or equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 2 GB available space

Yo wth

Minimum specs for theBlu is a 980? and 32gigs or ram???

You forgot about the processor... o_o

All I'm sayin is that if I have to upgrade much more my wife is going to shank me. Now that I think about it she will probably wait till I am in VR...

T.O.P

Banned
All I'm sayin is that if I have to upgrade much more my wife is going to shank me. Now that I think about it she will probably wait till I am in VR...

Bahahah

Same here bro, this thing was 970€ taxes and everything, no chances in hell that i'll upgrade my rig on the same year

taoofjord

Found out that the charge is pending and won't be posted until tonight at midnight so I should hopefully have my Vive shipped tomorrow?

That aside, what headphones are y'all using? I need to buy decent ones and am looking around. There's a Bose set for ~$150 and a Sennheiser for $90 that caught my eye. Might grab one of those. I've had Bose headphones in the past and quite liked them.

Compsiox

Banned
The Vive is so freaking amazing. I'm in love with it. I was in Altspace VR when I started getting nervous from people surrounding me. It really felt like I was there. That's when I realized how truly immersive room scale is. It's really freaking amazing. You're all gonna love it! The wait was more than worth it. I didn't feel motion sick at all. If you have VR legs at all you're good! Brookhaven was too scary for me. I love zombie games but it was way too much for me in VR. I loved every moment of my time with it.

Hoverjunkers ;-; gonna be so good

deadfolk

Yessssss. I love this game. Here's hoping the VR version doesn't kill me with motion sickness. At the very least, it should be fun in small bursts.

I've heard good things about the updated Rift support. No reason to think the Vive will fare any worse.

This was literally my most wanted game to get support. Now I just need Pinball fx2.

The Vive is so freaking amazing. I'm in love with it. I was in Altspace VR when I started getting nervous from people surrounding me. It really felt like I was there. That's when I realized how truly immersive room scale is. It's really freaking amazing. You're all gonna love it! The wait was more than worth it. I didn't feel motion sick at all. If you have VR legs at all you're good!

0e120a9aaf1c2bded96c5440c8babaeb.gif

deadfolk

The Vive is so freaking amazing. I'm in love with it. I was in Altspace VR when I started getting nervous from people surrounding me. It really felt like I was there. That's when I realized how truly immersive room scale is. It's really freaking amazing. You're all gonna love it! The wait was more than worth it. I didn't feel motion sick at all. If you have VR legs at all you're good! Brookhaven was too scary for me. I love zombie games but it was way too much for me in VR. I loved every moment of my time with it.

You got your satellites working then?

Fret

Even seeing someone in Altspace moving their hands with the Leap or moving the Vive controllers was amazing

https://gfycat.com/FormalNauticalIndianringneckparakeet

https://gfycat.com/SpitefulMemorableIndianspinyloach

Compsiox

Banned
Remove the sync cable
Turn on both lighthouses facing eachother 1meter apart
Wait 2 minutes
See if they have the b and c in the LED indicator.

Thanks for this but it turns out it was just the newest lighhouse firmware. I used the next most recent firmware and it worked like magic.

Charged early yesterday afternoon. Original preorder conf email was :02. Still no email or shipping info. But fairly confident it will still arrive Tuesday.

Compsiox

Banned
Nice! Why the hell are you on Gaf and not in the Matrix?

Hope you enjoy! We expect some impressions over the weekend.

I'm not gonna write paragraphs but ill definitely be sure to fill you guys in on everything noteworthy.

I took a break cause I gotta eat.

BrettWeir

Sooooo glad I switched ships! This sounds incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom