• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Job Simulator with the bundle and I played it maybe once. I personally think it's overhyped, but hivemind seemingly disagrees. Kids love it, though.

Also, the original price of 30$ for this game was highway robbery (again, in my personal subjective opinion).

Oddly, even the two children I've shown it to thought it was boring and dumb. I don't know anyone IRL who liked it.

Maybe my own attitudes are rubbing off on others, lol. Although I did expect it to be a great game for young kids.

Tainted

Oddly, even the two children I've shown it to thought it was boring and dumb. I don't know anyone IRL who liked it.

Maybe my own attitudes are rubbing off on others, lol. Although I did expect it to be a great game for young kids.

Job Simulator is a great proof of concept for VR, its just a shame there wasnt more. Hopefully the concepts pioneered will be fleshed out in the future.

I didn't really enjoy Rick and Morty near as much as Job Simulator. Although I admit the humour was lost on me and I do not follow the show its based on, the game itself was a bit lacklustre in comparison.

I'd really like them to do a Job Simulator 2 or something a bit more fleshed out, as I think those guys really 'get' VR. VR is at it's best when you are just goofing around with lots of interactive objects

Almost bought a Deluxe Audio Strap but it went out of stock between adding it to my cart and selecting my payment option :(

Also anyone have experience with the Hyperkin Silicone protectors for the headset and controller, ordered them because I'm constantly hitting my self in the head(set) with the controllers.

kinggroin

Banned
That's so funny. My kids and their cousins love Job Simulator. They've finished it a couple times and now just love playing in the sandbox

They are 8 and 9 if it means anything.

Zalusithix

Interesting, why was it stopped in the first place?

The rear foam pad had a black coating that'd wear off with any combination of moisture and abrasion. For something sweat can get on on, this was obviously a rather serious defect. It was fine if you washed it off, but "Clean your brand new strap upon receiving" isn't exactly a great PR situation. The new batches shouldn't have that defect.

Images of old and new foam by somebody else.

The rear foam pad had a black coating that'd wear off with any combination of moisture and abrasion. For something sweat can get on on, this was obviously a rather serious defect. It was fine if you washed it off, but "Clean your brand new strap upon receiving" isn't exactly a great PR situation. The new batches shouldn't have that defect.

Images of old and new foam by somebody else.

Wow didn't know that, as it turns out my GameStop in town just got a couple in today, gonna go grab it now, I would presume it's the new batch considering they just got it.

Zalusithix

Wow didn't know that, as it turns out my GameStop in town just got a couple in today, gonna go grab it now, I would presume it's the new batch considering they just got it.

It'll be easy enough to find out once you have it. If it's the old foam, a slightly wet finger rubbed on it will result in the sort of flaking shown in the first image of that link. No big deal even if it is the old foam since you can just wash it all off and leave it in front of a fan to dry.

It'll be easy enough to find out once you have it. If it's the old foam, a slightly wet finger rubbed on it will result in the sort of flaking shown in the first image of that link. No big deal even if it is the old foam since you can just wash it all off and leave it in front of a fan to dry.

I just got back and mine does look grey like the first pic but doesn't flake at all, I even got a little water on it to see and it still doesn't flake.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man, a lot of times when I'm in my life climbing through the day I think back to VR and my time in VR And how it does seem like a different place. Its so powerful, I don' know how to reconcile it. Its not real. But its also so totally real. Its like a just discovered a room in a house I hadn't know about or something.

I know we've talking about it a lot lately, but I really can't recommend OVRdrop enough. It should really be a native Steam VR feature, it's just so compelling and useful. It has breathed new life into Elite.

Zalusithix

I just got back and mine does look grey like the first pic but doesn't flake at all, I even got a little water on it to see and it still doesn't flake.

It's possible that there's variations in color for the new foam. If it's not flaking with moisture (it never did when dry), then you're good to go.

I know we've talking about it a lot lately, but I really can't recommend OVRdrop enough. It should really be a native Steam VR feature, it's just so compelling and useful. It has breathed new life into Elite.
I'm not sure if that says more about OVRdrop, or Elite... ;)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OVRDrop seems dope as hell but it's Win10 only! Just a psa for the other Win7 users here. On the steam community the dev did say he's looking into supporting Win7 soon.

Lunar FC

Any solutions for lighthouses not turning off when exiting steam vr? I just like half rebuilt my pc and that is likely the cause of this, but I'm unsure of how to fix it.

Thanks.

Chumley

Banned
I'm looking to get into VR later this year but I had kind of a random question - are you able to just leave the headset plugged in all the time or are you supposed to unplug it after finishing using it every time? My computer is placed in a corner and unplugging everything would be a horrible pain in the ass.

"I'm looking to get into VR later this year but I had kind of a random question - are you able to just leave the headset plugged in all the time or are you supposed to unplug it after finishing using it every time? My computer is placed in a corner and unplugging everything would be a horrible pain in the ass."

You don't need to unplug it at all.

Wollan

Don't bother downloading the Dunkirk VR experience from Viveport.
It's a 2D 360degree movie of just a few of semi-computer generated scenes that last about four minutes.

Slow-mo of people drowning around you...
A minute in a plane cockpit before it crashes in the water.
Waiting on the beach with other CGI soldiers.
The End.

Chumley

Banned
"I'm looking to get into VR later this year but I had kind of a random question - are you able to just leave the headset plugged in all the time or are you supposed to unplug it after finishing using it every time? My computer is placed in a corner and unplugging everything would be a horrible pain in the ass."

You don't need to unplug it at all.

Awesome, thanks. Thinking I'll just get a hanger to put on the side of my desk to keep it on.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm looking to get into VR later this year but I had kind of a random question - are you able to just leave the headset plugged in all the time or are you supposed to unplug it after finishing using it every time? My computer is placed in a corner and unplugging everything would be a horrible pain in the ass.
While the above advice is correct, I find myself having to fiddle with the cords a lot, so I would prep your environment so they're accessible. If I'm being an honest advocate of VR, then I must admit the cable/driver side of the Vive has not been particularly smooth. I often do not get a proper headset connection to SteamVR startup and have to reset the HMD power, link cable to USB, computer itself, etc. It's much better recently, but that's because I've adopted a protocol of starting with HMD power unplugged (but rest of cables in) -> turn on PC -> plug in HMD and wait for chimes -> boot SteamVR. But that's just my experience and could be unique to my system.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
While the above advice is correct, I find myself having to fiddle with the cords a lot, so I would prep your environment so they're accessible. If I'm being an honest advocate of VR, then I must admit the cable/driver side of the Vive has not been particularly smooth. I often do not get a proper headset connection to SteamVR startup and have to reset the HMD power, link cable to USB, computer itself, etc. It's much better recently, but that's because I've adopted a protocol of starting with HMD power unplugged (but rest of cables in) -> turn on PC -> plug in HMD and wait for chimes -> boot SteamVR. But that's just my experience and could be unique to my system.

Try going to SteamVR settings > "Developer" > "Disable Power Management" if you haven't already. I used to have similar problems and that helped.

Any solutions for lighthouses not turning off when exiting steam vr? I just like half rebuilt my pc and that is likely the cause of this, but I'm unsure of how to fix it.

Thanks.

For this one, do the power management thing above and try the options to remove all SteamVR devices and reinstall the Bluetooth drivers (from General) too.

Zalusithix

For this one, do the power management thing above and try the options to remove all SteamVR devices and reinstall the Bluetooth drivers (from General) too.

The power management change wouldn't be my first action personally. I'd wager remove -> install devices followed by unplugging everything (aside from the lighthouses) -> replugging will do the trick if it was working properly before. I know any time I've had problems with the lighthouses not powering down due to power outages, that fixed it. Failing that, the power management change can be made and see if that helps.

It's been some time since I last messed around with my Vive: I played a bit of Assetto Corsa and had one of those VR-revelation moments.

I was doing some hotlaps on a Tokyo highway inspired track and while changing lane I instinctively glanced at the side mirror to check the traffic (which wasn't there of course).

Amazing xD

TheRed

It's been some time since I last messed around with my Vive: I played a bit of Assetto Corsa and had one of those VR-revelation moments.

I was doing some hotlaps on a Tokyo highway inspired track and while changing lane I instinctively glanced at the side mirror to check the traffic (which wasn't there of course).

Amazing xD
AC is still my top VR app even though I've played other really awesome VR things. It's become a mainstay of my gaming routine. Love it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How is it with a controller? Do you guys have steering wheels?

"Would you guys recommend Assetta Corsa over Project Cars for VR?"

Yes and no.

Assetto Corsa's VR implementation, performance-wise, is fantastic. Runs like a dream. Be sure to download the Natural graphics mod filters and disable crepuscular rays and heat haze or else it'll look extremely overexposed.

However, Assetto Corsa barely qualifies as having any real "game" structure to it. If you're not interested in just running hot laps, simple AI races with a limited sense of progression, or going online/playing in a league, you may find it boring. Also, Assetto Corsa doesn't have a VR UI, so you're going to be taking off the headset before and after every race. Annoying as shit.

Project Cars runs like shit. The framerate is all over the place, for no reason. You can finagle a semi-reliable framerate by turning on "always-on Reprojection," disabling Async Reprojection, and turning just about all settings (especially Shadows) off or low.

However, Project Cars does have an actual game structure. Playing through championships and leagues, getting offers to drive at other teams in faster cars, etc. And it has a fully functioning VR UI, so you never have to take off the headset until you're finished playing

Assetto Corsa also has better physics and handling than Project Cars. And mod support.

You'll have to decide which flaws are the bigger problem for you. Project Cars has a demo called Pagani Edition if you want to give it a try.

Just replayed Serious Sam First Encounter VR after quite a while and tried to see how long I could last without getting sick.

Last time I tried it had to use teleport as the trackpad movement would make me nauseous after as few minutes, but that always felt like it broke the game mechanics as it was easy to avoid enemy fire.

To my surprise, they have added a comfort mode to trackpad movement where it limits the FOV and displays a grid of the floor in the real world.

This is a game changer for me, I was moving around staffing jumping shooting enemies without feeling sick!

The only thing I hope they add is the ability to customise the FOV reduction as atm it feels it's slightly reduced too much.

Does anybody know of other games that use this sort of method?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
some new games announced

RoVR coming soon from Ridgeline Labs, a 2 months old indie VR game studio. no screenshots but they have some teaser video on their twitter. RoVR is a dog simulation title, I guess it is like Nintendogs. You will be able to pet, raise, customize, play fetch etc with them. They say a new trailer will come later this month
https://twitter.com/ridgelinelabs

Hold My Beer VR coming July 27th from Lord of the Stack, who also made Defense of Castle Chilly. Its a title where you play the role of an idiot, doing idiotic stunts after drinking beers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0jjXAcGzAs

Ultrawings releasing on Steam next week and will be compatible with HTC Vive

Dead Secret Circle coming to Oculus Rift, Gear VR and HTC Vive. You can catch the trailer on the site.

Ghostship Chronicles coming to HTC Vive/Rift/PSVR/HyperReal's VR headset. It is the latest title from Mad About Games Studios, makers of games like CDF Ghostship, CDF Starfighter, Ghostship Aftermath. We'll get more information few days later.

"No Boolean unfortunately, but decent poly manipulation. I wish they allowed face deletion."

Yeah, I got to play with it since posting that. I wish it was a full on sub-d modeler, because I find its method of interacting with verts, edges, and faces far quicker than traditional manipulator-based modeling interfaces.

cakefoo

Just replayed Serious Sam First Encounter VR after quite a while and tried to see how long I could last without getting sick.

Last time I tried it had to use teleport as the trackpad movement would make me nauseous after as few minutes, but that always felt like it broke the game mechanics as it was easy to avoid enemy fire.

To my surprise, they have added a comfort mode to trackpad movement where it limits the FOV and displays a grid of the floor in the real world.

This is a game changer for me, I was moving around staffing jumping shooting enemies without feeling sick!

The only thing I hope they add is the ability to customise the FOV reduction as atm it feels it's slightly reduced too much.

Does anybody know of other games that use this sort of method?
Aside from Google Earth VR, I'm not aware of any other apps. I would just eat ginger candy. Recently weened myself off it (quit cold turkey, to be more precise), and now instead of getting ill after 10 minutes, I can play Pavlov non-stop.

FOV reduction aside, you could try the built-in chaperone settings > floor bounds always on, and/or use OpenVR-AdvancedSettings to adjust the distance sensitivity so the walls are always visible. See if you can set the opacity low so it's not a constant distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom