• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HUB] Why VRAM's so important for gaming: 4GB vs 8GB

I suspect that 8 GB will probably be enough for the lower end cards even in the future. But because it can be hard to determine whether VRAM is causing any issues, I’m still quite hesistant to get less than 10 GB now. Rather pay the extra and not worry about it.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
They already did that with several GPUS.
For example, recently they did the 4060 Ti 8Gb vs 16GB. Or the 7600 8GB vs 7600XT 16GB.

And it made little or no difference in most cases IIRC. The 8GB cards will probably be fine for this generation.

Bojji

And it made little or no difference in most cases IIRC. The 8GB cards will probably be fine for this generation.

Depends on the settings:

t0KxRE6.jpg

vpXdRsU.jpg
qvc9AwM.jpg

This is with 2023 games, vram requirements will only increase in the future.

Elysium44

Banned
Depends on the settings:

This is with 2023 games, vram requirements will only increase in the future.

I said it would be fine, not optimal. Worst case scenario there will be one or two games you turn down settings marginally. Requirements are not going to mushroom this gen, because of consoles. (Most people are playing at 1080p, especially with 8GB cards.)

rA0GyMj.jpg

Senua

I think 8gb cards will get by ok being smart with settings and not at high resolutions. My 10gb 3080 does struggle If I push things too far at 4k but I can always find a good compromise with some tinkering. My next card though I'm going to want a nice upgrade to vram.

bbeach123

4g(half of last gen console's 8G) run fine on last gen 1080p so 8G should be fine on this gen (thanks Series S ).

Expected to drop textures quality at the end of the gen though .

Last edited:

Senua

I remember people saying 24gb on the 3090 was a complete waste when it came out and the 10gb 3080 was all you needed. As a 4K gamer my card has aged like fine wine years later.
It's complete overkill for the performance of the card but definitely nice to have :messenger_beaming:

Bojji

970 users

arrested-development-david-cross.gif

minus 0.5

The worst thing is that this fucking prosthetic 0.5GB slows down entire GPU when it's used.

I said it would be fine, not optimal. Worst case scenario there will be one or two games you turn down settings marginally. Requirements are not going to mushroom this gen, because of consoles. (Most people are playing at 1080p, especially with 8GB cards.)

rA0GyMj.jpg

I agree, most games will be playable until next gen - thanks to series S tiny RAM amount ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited:

Xdrive05

RTX 3060 12GB Poor Boy Master Race(tm) represent!

Seriously though, nice to not have to worry about it. Also productivity apps and developer IDE's work great with 12GB.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Who the fuck still games at 4GB? This is 2024. Whats the point of being a PC gamer if you are going to stick with 10 year old cards?

You can find most 8GB cards for around $200 nowadays.

Elysium44

Banned
Probably playing pc games and not consolised slop?

Not many games are PC only so I'm not sure what that means.

The comparison with 4GB is silly, the 1060 6GB was the minimum for a decent 1080p experience for many years, it held the line manfully but 8GB became the new minimum a few years ago. 4GB may work (it frequently won't) but will provide a subpar experience in a lot of cases.

yamaci17

The point of the video going over the heads of several in here...

It's about how we used to say 4GB is plenty, 8GB is overkill.
Right now you guys are saying 8GB is plenty 16GB is overkill...
We have proof that 8GB is faltering.
the real point is that AMD was even more scummy than NVIDIA at low end on desktop. NVIDIA did give 4 gb to 3050 laptops but at least had the decency to make 8 GB a baseline for their 3050s on desktop (but they also later went on to release 8 gb 3060s and 6 gb 3050s)

whereas amd went to extremes and released 4 gb 6500xt in a lineup where 6700xt had 12 GB VRAM.

6500xt 8 gb is rare and was released by certain vendors but most 6500xts are out there are 4 GBs. it actually has decent gaming capabilities if not for its VRAM. the point is, some amd folks tried to defend this card by saying it is too poor of a card that 8 GB wouldn't matter for it, but the video proves otherwise

releasing a 4 gb 6500xt in 2022 was a disgrace to gaming community. not to mention it has a 64 bit bus and fails colossally with pcie 3 bus (most lowend midrange folks would be on pcie 3 that are the potential target of such products)

it is a horrible product overall. but 8 gb saves it a lot.

Senua

the real point is that AMD was even more scummy than NVIDIA at low end on desktop. NVIDIA did give 4 gb to 3050 laptops but at least had the decency to make 8 GB a baseline for their 3050s on desktop (but they also later went on to release 8 gb 3060s and 6 gb 3050s)

whereas amd went to extremes and released 4 gb 6500xt in a lineup where 6700xt had 12 GB VRAM.

6500xt 8 gb is rare and was released by certain vendors but most 6500xts are out there are 4 GBs. it actually has decent gaming capabilities if not for its VRAM. the point is, some amd folks tried to defend this card by saying it is too poor of a card that 8 GB wouldn't matter for it, but the video proves otherwise

releasing a 4 gb 6500xt in 2022 was a disgrace to gaming community. not to mention it has a 64 bit bus and fails colossally with pcie 3 bus (most lowend midrange folks would be on pcie 3 that are the potential target of such products)

Agreed. Though I still cannot get over how Nvidia released the 3060 successor with less Vram. God that's retarded.

The amount of VRAM effects on performance, like regular RAM, does not make a huge difference if you have enough. It makes a world of difference when you don't have enough. 12GB on a card as expensive as a 4070 is a joke in 2024, that is some 3060 bullshit. 16GB is the benchmark now, that's just how it is.

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a 6500 XT. So yeah, bad card, but I assume barely anyone bought it unless they went out of their way to get the absolute cheapest stuff possible.

ZehDon

Gold Member
After seeing the advantages to additional VRAM with my 1080Ti - a card that punches well above its weight to this day - there was no way I was going back. My RTX3090 seemed excessive at the time, but it'll be a solid investment for a while to come it seems.

Kenpachii

GTX cards like the 1050 Ti and 1650's are still quite popular and in active use. According to Steam Survey anyways.

Pretty shocking though lol. Didn't even know the 6500 XT had 4GB VRAM.

A lot of people on PC aren't playing console games on PC, they play simple stuff like league / dota / minecraft or world of warcraft a newer gpu isn't going to improve there experience much other then some higher artificial fps number.

I have a buddy that has a 1060 gtx and there is no reason for him to update because anything graphically demanding he gets on his PS5 and all he plays is games like genshi/2d games/heroes of the storm/puzzle games on his pc which a 1060 absolutely streamrolls.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Bravo, OP. This is a quality, informative thread.

I agree, most games will be playable until next gen - thanks to series S tiny RAM amount ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

We'll see where we are at by the end of next year, but I'd figure that many will be upgrading out of necessity.

Kumomeme

this remind me of debate between nvidia and amd users regarding 4gb vs 8gb of vram. especially during 1060 vs 480/580 era. the other camp insist 4gb is enough even for future and 8gb is overblown and wont has performance impact that time. also remember 3.5gb vram fiasco of 970?

right now, even 8gb or more is might be not enough

Last edited:
Top Bottom