• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hubble Space telescope continues to impress

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we have a space thread but I think think this image is pretty spectacular.

6nP5D.jpg

After 21 years, the Hubble Space Telescope continues to wow the world with mind-bending views of the universe. In celebration of its anniversary, the wonder continues with this gift of a galactic rose formed by a group of interacting galaxies roughly 300 million light years away from Earth.

In the group, known as Arp 273, the upper, larger of the spiral galaxies, UGC 1810, has a disc that is tidally distorted into a rose-like shape by the gravitational pull of the companion galaxy below it, known as UGC 1813, according to an image advisory.

The uncommon spiral patterns in the large galaxy are a tell-tale sign of interaction between the two galaxies. For example, the large, outer arm appears partially as a ring, a feature that is seen when interacting galaxies pass through one another. This suggests that the smaller companion galaxy actually dived deeply, but off-center, through UGC 1810.
Other notable features in the image include:

The inner set of spiral arms is highly warped out of the plane, with one of the arms going behind the bulge and combing back out the other side. How they connect isn't precisely known.

A possible mini spiral may be visible in the spiral arms of UGC 1810 to the upper right. Note how the outermost spiral arm changes character as it passes this third galaxy, from smooth with lots of old stars on one side, to clumpy and extremely blue on the other.
The swath of blue jewels across the top is the combined light from clusters of intensely bright and hot young blue stars, which glow fiercely in ultraviolet light.

The smaller galaxy, viewed close to edge-on, shows signs of intense star formation in its nucleus that was perhaps triggered by the encounter with the companion galaxy.

The larger galaxy in the UGC 1810-UGC 1813 pair has a mass that is about five times that of the smaller galaxy. In unequal pairs such as this, the relatively rapid passage of the companion galaxy produces the lopsided structure in the main spiral.

The Hubble Space Telescope was launched from space shuttle Discovery on April 24, 1990. It circles the Earth once every 97 minutes. Though its digital postcards routinely wow the world, it hasn't always been smooth sailing, as noted in this photo trip through the telescope's highs and lows.

NASA astronauts successfully performed a final servicing of the telescope in 2009 that should keep it sending back images for years to come. Meanwhile, the space agency is preparing Hubble's replacement, the James Webb Space Telescope, currently scheduled for launch in 2014. For now, though, let's wish Hubble a happy anniversary and thank it for the galactic rose.

And just to make your click worthwhile, some more recent pics

s8qCw.jpg

This image, released April 22, captures the chaotic activity atop a three light-year tall pillar of gas and dust that is being eaten away by the brilliant light from nearby bright stars. The turbulent cosmic pinnacle lies within a tempestuous stellar nursery called the Carina Nebula, located 7,500 light-years away in the southern constellation Carina. The image celebrates the 20th anniversary of Hubble's launch and deployment into an orbit around Earth

wnlU1.jpg

A beautiful view of a star in its death throes is featured in a gallery of images sent back by the Hubble Space Telescope after its final shuttle servicing mission in May 2009. The planetary nebula NGC 6302, better known as the Butterfly Nebula or the Bug Nebula, is about 3,800 light-years away in the constellation Scorpius. The features that look like dainty butterfly wings are actually roiling cauldrons of gas heated to more than 36,000 degrees Fahrenheit, blasted away from a dying star bigger than the sun. This picture was taken by Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3.

1DJcB.jpg

A clash involving members of the famous galaxy group known as Stephan's Quintet reveals an assortment of stars across a wide color range, from young, blue stars to aging, red stars. The new image of the grouping was taken by Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3. It's a bit of a misnomer to call this group a "quintet." Studies have shown that the galaxy NGC 7320, at upper left, is actually in the foreground, about seven times closer to Earth than the rest of the group

xjkyq.jpg

Hubble's Wide Field Camera 3 captured this panoramic view of a colorful assortment of 100,000 stars residing in the crowded core of the globular cluster Omega Centauri. The full cluster, which lies about 16,000 light-years from Earth, boasts nearly 10 million stars. The stars in Omega Centauri are between 10 billion and 12 billion years old

i12J2.jpg

An earlier image from Hubble's Advanced Camera for Surveys shows the globular cluster Omega Centauri and provides the context for the space telescope's new image of the same cluster. The blue-lined box indicates the area covered by the newly released image from Wide Field Camera 3: about 6.3 light-years or 1.4 arcminutes wide.

Mashing

That second pic is awesome. it looks like a knight on horseback wielding a spear-like weapon. Reminds me of a joust.

This sort of thing is making my brain melt:

n3oJ0.jpg

I can't even conceive what the fuck is happening in this. And then I start to think that there are like 400 trillion billion quadrillion more of these in our universe. And I start to bad trip.

And then I see this:

qMtma.jpg

And I just fucking cry. Like seriously... look at that motherfucker. WHAT THE FUCK MAN. Billions and billions and billions and billions and billions x 100 000 000 of planets and stars in this 640 by 476 pixel image. And you can't even see what the hell is behind those. And that's just a fraction of everything. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

NoRéN

Max Armstrong said:
And I just fucking cry. Like seriously... look at that motherfucker. WHAT THE FUCK MAN. Billions and billions and billions and billions and billions x 100 000 000 of planets and stars in this 640 by 476 pixel image. And you can't even see what the hell is behind those. And that's just a fraction of everything. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
And it's expanding.

Raistlin

ClosingADoor said:
Emo? It's fucking Thor riding a bear, swinging his hammer at a giant! You can't get more awesome.
Holy shit - that's exactly what I see (though the giant has horns so maybe it's a demon giant? - and Thor/bear are basically on top of it SotC style)

Max Armstrong said:
yeah... jesus fuck...... faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak

Dali

zon said:
05ptY.jpg

Even space clouds are emo.
I don't see it. I see some guy riding a standing bear about to hurl a bolt at an evil Galactus cloud.

edit:

Just read some other replies. Glad I'm not the only one. I honestly thought it was a photoshop as I slowly scrolled down when I first opened this thread. It's there plain as day.

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
No way. As it stands, we are the only known advanced life form. I'd say that's significant.

Only known to ourselves, not the entirety of the universe. So much ego and hubris.

Pimpbaa

The crazy thing about looking at other galaxies is that not even in science fiction such as star trek have they been able to go outside of our own galaxy. So they have this impossible technology by our standards and still wasn't fast enough to get to another galaxy (only Q was able to show the enterprise crew another galaxy).

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Check this shit out...

We see pictures of galaxies and stuff all the time, but I think that we often forget how insanely crowded with stars and solar systems they really are. Our own galaxy, The Milky Way, has about 400 billion stars (some scientists estimate this number even larger). Here are some high res images that I put together with some zoom-in shots. Each zoom is about 2X or so.

Okay, first this is NGC 5457, or also called The Pinwheel Galaxy. 25 million light years away from our galaxy, and seen directly, face on.

446616-QO7ZZOH.jpg

Yeah it's a lot of stars mother fucker... but this galaxy is millions of light years away... so details are harder to resolve... let's take a look at our own galaxy now. Images of our galaxy are always from the side of the galaxy. They are seen from the edge like this (rather than from the face), because of our position on the Earth (and because we are inside of the galaxy itself. We see the center and the band of the galaxy as though we are outside of it, but we're really just located on one of the outer arms. The first image is a panorama of the galaxy for context's sake... then we rotate it and zoom in a bit...

446617-OUE2PY1.jpg

Lots of stars? Yep... Trillions of planets? Yes. And if you'd like to feel further insulted, you can always remember that this type of thing is just standard procedure for the Universe, and that there are about 100 billion other galaxies like ours just chillin out there like it's no big deal.

446609-XVK952Z.jpg

Goddam, space....goddamn.

Zzoram

I'm really saddened by the thought of dying before humans discover life of non-Earth origin. I really hope we find something on Mars or one of Jupiter's moons before the end of my life, since I'm pretty sure we're not going to meet interstellar exploring aliens in the next ~60 years.

antonz

Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
Ego and hubris comes with the territory of being the only advanced life form.
this is pretty accurate. The reality is if an advance Alien life form ever comes to this planet Humanity is going to get a serious case of depression if we dont get wiped out for planetary resources

Zzoram

antonz said:
this is pretty accurate. The reality is if an advance Alien life form ever comes to this planet Humanity is going to get a serious case of depression if we dont get wiped out for planetary resources

I propose that any species capable of faster-than-light travel will have advanced past the point of requiring anything we have on Earth. They would need nearly infinite energy to power their vessel, and with nearly infinite energy you can create any type of matter you want.

Zzoram said:
I propose that any species capable of faster-than-light travel will have advanced past the point of requiring anything we have on Earth. They would need nearly infinite energy to power their vessel, and with nearly infinite energy you can create any type of matter you want.

They could still come here and laugh at us.

MNC

Space is so awesome. I love this thread. Does anybody have some wallpaper sized images (actual photos rather than photoshops?) of space related things?

Not to spoil anyone's fun, but aren't these pics enhanced by artists, and the raw image looks rather uninteresting? wouldn't mind being shown otherwise.

awesome, but this such a tease!

Please launch the James Webb Space Telescope already!

the pics we have now is like looking at uncharted 3 screenshots

When the James Webb Space Telescope is operating it will be like
actually playing Uncharted 3

WillyFive

Zzoram said:

But that's impossible.

A (nearly) infinite amount of energy is probably not something that can be feasible, no matter what universe you're from.

If aliens can travel like that, they would have found another way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom