• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HuffPo asks 9 GOP Sens what Congress can do to stop mass shootings, all said nothing

robosllim

We need full body scans for anyone entering any building in order to preserve an American's freedom to bear arms.
Right, what's the point of allowing people to carry guns if your advice is that there should be steps in place to prevent guns from coming onto private property (in addition to guns being disallowed in many/all government buildings)?

Stiler

It's like, lets look as Australia, or the UK, or about any other first world country with stricter laws in regards to this.

Oh what's that? The gun violence per population is dramatically lower then the US? I wonder how that could be, it baffles my mind how this could be different...

It's like some people can't look at the 2nd amendment through the context of history and how it was different back then vs now.

Right, what's the point of allowing people to carry guns if your advice is that there should be steps in place to prevent guns from coming onto private property (in addition to guns being disallowed in many/all government buildings)?

Funnily enough, one of my relatives seriously asked "don't hotels have metal detectors in all the entrances?"

ah Yes it’s too soon

Luckily for Republicans there’s a mass shooting every week so it’s always too soon. On the rare occasion there hasn’t been one in a week then you can always say “see! Nothing happened. What’s the issue?”

I just wish a Democrat or any other party member would say “nukes don’t kill people, people kill people. Leave “rocket man” alone” so we can see how quickly people become hypocrites

kmax

Of course they don't know, because they're not changing shit.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

They're just hoping that this will go away until the next massacre, then it's time to hunker down again. Rinse and repeat.

Christian

I don’t know if this has been said yet or not, but I’m at work, so I’m throwing it out there anyway. They always talk about getting all the facts and waiting until investigations have concluded, but then they block any attempt at a study of the affects of gun violence or gun ownership on death rates or anything. They’re so full of shit.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There are 55 million gun owners in the US. The NRA has 4 million members. How about if a chunk of the 51 million other gun owners forms a new organization that advocates saner principles?

Sciz

Oh sure, it's too soon to talk about it. Besides, not communicating solves lots of problems!

Marriage in trouble? Just don't talk about it! Feeling depressed? Bottle that up inside! Can't get fifty votes for your bills? Keep writing them in secret!

I don't know why we even have therapists, honestly.

Magwik

Banned
The Onion just reuses their same headline after every mass shooting

DLJP8F3XkAAU9Fc.jpg
That actually cuts really deep /:

"Don't politicize tragic events" isn't a fucking thing. No one said, "We can't politicize Hurricane Katrina until summer." No one said, "We can't politicize 9/11." No one said, "We can't politicize the sub-prime mortgage crisis."

Writing laws in response to changes and events in society is your entire job you useless twats.

Sulik2

Say it with me now.

The GOP is a greater threat to American lives than ISIS is.

The GOP is the greatest threat to human life on the planet period. Refusal to acknowledge climate change and putting a mad man in control of their nuclear arsenal makes them enemies of humanity as a whole.

joe2187

Banned
How long until Nazis turn this into another Sandy Hook.

4Chan started sending it drones out the first hour of reports of active shooter, actively spreading disinformation throughout facebook and twitter as fast as possible.

They want to control the narrative, and facebook and twitter are their tools.

Bladelaw

Children got shot. Nothing happened.

Their own people got shot. Nothing happened.

Do you expect anything different this time?

This right here. Unless the people actually vote for gun control then legislation will never happen. No matter how many people support "common sense regulation" they don't vote that way. They vote for candidates who would prefer no regulation to "common sense".

Every time I see a poll come out that says "Majority approves of <gun regulation proposed by survey>" I cry bullshit. Those numbers don't follow through to the ballot box. If people are really sick of this shit then fucking vote for people who will do something about this shit..

timshundo

These quotes confirm something I always suspected of GOP lawmakers which is a "well I got mine" mentality. These people have convinced themselves that death is just a statistic and there are always more important things to worry about than people dying because as long as the lawmakers have their own immediate heath and wealth, who cares? They're like "Pre-existing conditions, homelessness, drug abuse...? I meannnn the earth is getting to crowded anyway, this is just god helping to trim the fat... all part of his plan..."

So how is it you prevent abortions? Oh that's right you make laws to make it difficult to get one.

But there is nothing we can do to make it more difficult for mass shootings.

I thought the GOP was pro life.

Sentient Turtle said:
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.): “I think it’s particularly inappropriate to politicize an event like this, it just happened in the last day-and-a-half. It’s entirely premature to be discussing legislative solutions, if any.

Alright then Mr. McConnell, what do you think about San Bernardino, or Pulse, or Sandy Hook, or any of the numerous other shootings/massacres. Or are they still too soon as well?

What a cunt. Just admit you don't intend to do anything, ever.

It's surreal that the solution some of them appear to have is "everyone should take some classes on not getting shot by guys with guns". Like, that's the most efficient solution they can come up with. Why do they see each shooting like this in a vacuum, like there's no relevance to previous events?

legacyzero

Banned
I would give anything to have the legal right to punch McConnell in the face. Just once.

Also, Republicans are trash

Ultimately, such craven creatures can only be motivated by fear, and they have long since ceased to fear the scorn of the people they represent. As long as there are states where they can run and win automatically for having an 'R' on the ballot the voting public holds no meaningful power over them.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
That would be 100% completely unconstitutional and would be shot down in a week.

What specifically about it is unconstitutional and can't the constitution be amended?

Why would they do that? They would hurt themselves as well.

lol democrats biting the hands that feeds them

bring on the DemSocs

The money they get is all spent campaigning is it not? So both them and the republicans have less. I would guess this would affect the republicans way more.

Top Bottom