• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HuffPo asks 9 GOP Sens what Congress can do to stop mass shootings, all said nothing

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have a level of sick admiration that they can actually say "nothing can be done" with a completely straight face.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
If only there was some constant between these mass shootings we could target.. Hrmmm

I've narrowed it down to one or more of the following:

Musical Concerts.
Large gatherings of people out in the open.
Lack of Bunkers in Las Vegas.
Unreported UFO sightings.

Should be a piece of cake from here.

(But does WaPo know how much the NRA has given to Super PACs.)

OpenSecrets reports this number is $22.9m in contributions to individuals and PACs since 1989, (data) and admits that "There's no denying that much of the strength of the leading gun rights organization, the National Rifle Association, comes from its broad and passionate membership base and its mastery of grassroots politics."

Political action committees for gun control simply don't motivate passionate membership, don't have grassroots campaigns, and don't contribute nearly as much money (about $4.2m over the same timespan according to OpenSecrets). Like the other thread we had about this where someone errantly said that wealthy elites were keeping guns available, the gun debate is very much an issue driven by rural, middle class, white voters, not coastal elites, big money donors, or other monied platform makers.

It's a political cartoon

... so...? Are political cartoons lesser forms of motivating change for you, or something?

Peltz

giphy.gif

I don't know if it will do something, therefore let's not talk about it, let's not try and research it and let's just accept random mass slaughter as part of our ordinary lives.

Senator Shelby's statement makes it seem like he was about to say "I don't know that the government can protect us" but wisely stopped short. I guess he remembered that the police and military exist.

I love when the Mental Health point gets brought up.

...and then no mention of extra funding or support for Mental Health gets made.

If any of these asses thought they were in danger of it happening to them, they'd come up with something real fucking quick.

They don't care because they feel safe

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So: Nothing. Don't talk about it. This is not the time (it never is). Fuck the people who keep dying, who gives a shit.

What a bunch of bags of feces these people are.

It would be fine to say "now is not the time to discuss politics while our country is in mourning, but we will address gun control in the coming weeks".

However they don't intend to do anything so the "now is not the time" is just a lie.

And when they say "there is no way to prevent this", they just mean there is no way to prevent this with laws we are actually willing to pass.

What the hell does "get small" even mean?

It would be fine to say "now is not the time to discuss politics while our country is in mourning, but we will address gun control in the coming weeks".

However they don't intend to do anything so the "now is not the time" is just a lie.

There is a mass shooting literally every few days in the US, with varying amounts of severity. The country is always in mourning, so we never have to talk about it.

There is a mass shooting literally every few days in the US, with varying amounts of severity. The country is always in mourning, so we never have to talk about it.

Yeah, still I don't expect a fully fleshed out gun policy to be ready just days after a tragedy. If a politician wants to say we will start working on this but not have all the details on how on day 1, that is fine.

What I am saying is that I could give a pass on the "now is not the time" line, if they actually intended to do something in the immediate future.

Someone should suggest to congress to make it required by law people should wear bullet proof vests.
Its a good preventative measure and can ensure that less people will die. And everyone can keep their guns.

jelly

I love when the Mental Health point gets brought up.

...and then no mention of extra funding or support for Mental Health gets made.

and didn't they remove legislation on mentally ill being able to buy fire arms?

The only answer is lots of people in government are getting bribes, work for gun/military companies, will work for gun/military companies.

theWB27

It's funny the gop will tell you government interference hurts business.... But lose their words when we know government interference can hurt a business.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
If the democrats ever get full control again they should ban all political donations over $50 per year and ban it completely for companies.

Wish Labour had done it in the UK.

Big donors paying for policies needs to stop.

Surfinn

One year later

"It's far too early to be talking about legislative solutions.. this tragedy happened only 12 months ago!"

As usual psychopaths spewing nonsense

as a victim of gun violence these jackasses won't understand terror, if it interfers with the NRA

I'm hopeful with the drop in gun owner over the years, the less lobbyists there will be for NRA in next decades

Demilitarize our culture

If the democrats ever get full control again they should ban all political donations over $50 per year and ban it completely for companies.

lol democrats biting the hands that feeds them

bring on the DemSocs

Cruz's answer wasn't horrible. He actually calls it terrorism and says we need to review our law enforcement procedures. The rest...blech.

... so...? Are political cartoons lesser forms of motivating change for you, or something?

It's not meant to be 100% accurate to the exact dollar amount the NRA gives.

That would be 100% completely unconstitutional and would be shot down in a week.

Heroman

Banned

Why would they do that? They would hurt themselves as well.

They're not wrong, it is impossible. They just left out the most important part: "as long as we control at least 1/3 of Congress".

It’s always seemed bizarre to me how America reacted so strongly and vehemently to 9/11 (multiple wars costing trillions of dollars), when there have been many more internal acts of ‘terrorism’ (caused in large part due to lack of gun control) that have gone unheeded and buried under political pandering to NRA.

Even if the Dems gain control take control of one branch of the government, reforming anything with politics or health would practically be impossible with Trump

Even if Dems get the White House in 2020, I highly doubt single payer passes with all the HMOs in Nancy Pelosi's pocket and whoever else

Primary Nancy Pelosi out or eff off

LProtag

We live in a society where children were murdered by gun violence in school, and nothing happened.

As a teacher I've been told to use my "professional judgement" to think about how to keep my students safe if there's a shooting at my school. Apparently part of my profession, which need I remind you is supposed to be about educating students, involves deciding how to keep 20 teenagers safe if someone tries to kill us with a gun.

I have to think about it every time I'm in a new classroom or there's new furniture in a classroom. What I could use to block the door. Where I should put the students. Where I have to put myself to be in between them and a killer. Those are now my professional responsibilities as an educator in the United States.

And these cowards will continue to say there's nothing they can do.

chaos789

Banned
They cannot say anything. Most of them are a blank slate anyway and just say whatever campaigned funded and corporate lobby approved message they are told to say. The Republican party is in the back pocket of the gun lobby (NRA). They were going to have a vote on making it easier to own a silencer that is until the recent events of the Las Vegas massacre. They have no morals or ethical ground to stand on.

Top Bottom