• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hurricane Patricia, strongest east pacific hurricane, set to make landfall in Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
What's the reason why you typically don't see strong west to east hurricanes?

Typically at this latitude, the Atlantic Ocean is warmer than the Pacific. But with El Niño warming up Pacific waters, that's likely influencing these cyclones starting up on the western coast of North America.

Zeke

How far north are the effects supposed to be felt. In south Texas we're already under flash flood watch and the weather channel is saying Patricia could enhance heavy rain threat.

MechDX

How far north are the effects supposed to be felt. In south Texas we're already under flash flood watch and the weather channel is saying Patricia could enhance heavy rain threat.

Houston projected 5-6 inches of rain from this on Saturday and Sunday

Crosseyes

Banned
200+ sustained winds. Shit. Any gaffers there should be getting the hell outta dodge ASAP. Thats city leveling power winds holy crap.

Jinaar

Time to cancel my Puerto Vallarta trip early December. Stay safe Mexico!! Seriously, I hope everyone gets out of this ok.

Zeke

How bad does Houston flood? It's been grey with drizzle since yesterday. Looks like 3.4 inches overnight tomorrow and 4.6 Sunday.

MechDX

How bad does Houston flood? It's been grey with drizzle since yesterday. Looks like 3.4 inches overnight tomorrow and 4.6 Sunday.

It can get pretty rough. Remember March when all those Rocket fans got stuck overnight in Toyota Center after a playoff game from the flooding then? It just usually happens when a lot of rain is dropped fast.

City is basically built on a giant swamp so the water takes a while to run off or soak into the ground

rjinaz

Just heard this on the radio and thought the guy was exaggerating when he said strongest hurricane recorded. Thought I would have heard about it before now if that was the case.

El Nino is really something else this year.

Just heard this on the radio and thought the guy was exaggerating when he said strongest hurricane recorded. Thought I would have heard about it before now if that was the case.

It all happened very quickly, nobody was expecting it to get this intense.

It went from 70 knots to 170 knots in less than 24 hours.

pulsemyne

It's basically done a Hurricane Rita. Rita was a pretty small tropical storm until it experienced explosive deepening and within less than a day became an utter monster and the previous record holder for strongest hurricane ever.

Alebrije

It all happened very quickly, nobody was expecting it to get this intense.

Yep specially at the end of hurricane season, in fact there were little or no hurricanes and then Patricia appears like if all the forces were waiting to join on a lonely superhurricane.

here in SA, from local NWS.

CSAb3mNVAAImj4C.png:large

local weatherdude is also projecting at least a foot of rain. we shall see.

Griss

That is an absolute monster. I've experienced at Category 4, and it was pretty damn wild. This is a Cat 5, but it's really a Cat 5+ or a Cat 6, it's almost off the charts.

This one is going to sort the well engineered buildings from the the not-so-well.

There's no chance that this isn't devastating to the communities it hits but I dearly hope that people can stay safe and there's as little life lost as possible. A blown down house can be rebuilt. A lost life is lost forever.

There's also a sick part of me that has always gotten excited whenever a hurricane blew through that wishes I could be out there to experience it.

Having lived in a hurricane-prone region more than half my life, I feel like this is exaggerated. If you bumped them all up one level then I'd mostly agree with it. (Meaning put the tropical storm description to Cat 1, move Cat 1 description to Cat 2 etc).

Zeke

It can get pretty rough. Remember March when all those Rocket fans got stuck overnight in Toyota Center after a playoff game from the flooding then? It just usually happens when a lot of rain is dropped fast.

City is basically built on a giant swamp so the water takes a while to run off or soak into the ground
Yea pretty standard for the state lots of rain real fast then it's gone. I hope we don't flood again but being known as flash flood alley I'm sure we will.

_Isaac

Man this is scary stuff. My uncle left his home on the beach last night and spent the night at my grandparents' house. That's still like only six miles from the coast. I am kinda concerned about the mudslides because my relatives are all surrounded by mountains. Also my grandpa's roof doesn't look too great. I hope it's able to withstand the winds. That picture above with the house losing its roof has me a little worried.

Alebrije

I am very worried for the poor people, that kind of hurricane on an third world
country is a bad mix. Just in Colima there are more than 200,000 people living on this kind of "houses" :

dbf.jpg

ea162900a5c29c63d032dcad4b9db982.jpg

POBREZA-938x535.jpg

Specially located near the coast , surely they will be blow away. Army has been evacuating the area since yesterday , hope the people go to refugees.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man this storm is fucking bonkers. I know it's selfish but I am really, really glad this isn't a northeast storm.

Ethelwulf

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
200+ mpg sustained wind puts it at a 30-60 mile wide Tornado, that lasts for hours instead of minutes. Shit..

Par Score

This is a once in a generation kind of storm, maybe even beyond that. Hope everyone in the area stays safe, but there's only so safe you can get in the face of something like this.

This is going to make the F1 weekend really interesting.

While this is far from foremost in my mind, it'll actually probably make it really boring. They just don't run in the wet like they used to, for safety reasons.

Edit: Fucking hell
CSAgmkrU8AAEZ5u.png

Senoculum

This is a shitty ask science question, but couldn't we (eventually) launch an unmanned, hypersonic jet through the heart of the hurricane? Something like mach 15. Wouldn't the velocity and the heat disrupt the whirlwinds?

cirrhosis

This is a shitty ask science question, but couldn't we (eventually) launch an unmanned, hypersonic jet through the heart of the hurricane? Something like mach 15. Wouldn't the velocity and the heat disrupt the whirlwinds?

Check this - it's a similar question + answer only concerning nuking hurricanes. If a nuke wouldn't do anything, perhaps a hypersonic missile would be a waste as well.

cirrhosis

Holy hell, that thing is huge. Is the Mexican government working to evacuate the area?

Posts on reddit report that tourists are being evacuated from resorts. Where to, I dunno - perhaps Guadalajara? There's not many places where people could evacuate to on such short notice.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mexico City is shielded from hurricane winds since it's located on a high valley plateau surrounded by high mountains. Rain fall can cause severe disruption in the city itself and be dangerous for certain outskirts poor zones like Valle the Chalco and illegal settlements on hillsides.

Hurricanes are an important source of water for several zones, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom