• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I’d Like to Apologize to NeoGAF, Give a Special Thank You and LTTPs too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

People who start war are the same people who don't believe in Santa Claus or Anime. War creates hunger and sadness. Anime characters do have flaws, go watch them. Goku has flaws, Luffy has flaws, Naruto has flaws, etc.

They are of course relatable. That's exactly how we go out on date with girls. We call them up, pick a fancy restaurant, say some nice things, give them a present, then we go home, game end. Isn't that how real life is?
Wow. This is some high level shit.

A lot of people in this thread should seek professional help. No offense. I mean it in the best way possible.

eddie1.gif

Is that your professional assessment?

TheChaos0

Is not a valid excuse for any of the criticism that it receives, espeically the pandering aspect of it. Is that also said whenever someone criticizes the ridiculous amounts of sexualization.

The difference between being a kid who believes in santa claus and being an adult is the fact that you're an adult. It's a fairy tale, embracing idealistic portrayals of life most certainly wouldn't suddenly put an end to sadness hunger and war. What in the world? And what makes a good hero, or character is having flaws on top of the positive aspects, otherwise they're 1-dimensional.

I don't expect realism, I expect it to be relatable, otherwise there's no point in it being referred to as slice of life.

In all honesty, the world god only knows (the anime that was linked) is more of a harem anime, even though it's one of the more interesting out of the lot. Slice-of-life tends to be an add-on genre, typically paired with comedy. Slice-of-life on its own just means the anime follows the daily life of the characters, it does not indicate that it's any more realistic than a regular anime. If you want a more realistic portrayal of the characters, I would check out something like 5 centemeters per second or more recently Your lie in April.

This thread is really something else. Never change, NeoGAF.

mNX.gif

A lot of people in this thread should seek professional help. No offense. I mean it in the best way possible.
Japan doesn't believe in mental illness.
Take the word "otaku", for intance; in Japan, it simply refers to any social awkward NEET with fixed, narrow, and intense interests, not necessarily an anime fan.
We have a similar word in the West -- autist.

Zane

People who start war are the same people who don't believe in Santa Claus or Anime. War creates hunger and sadness. Anime characters do have flaws, go watch them. Goku has flaws, Luffy has flaws, Naruto has flaws, etc.

They are of course relatable. That's exactly how we go out on date with girls. We call them up, pick a fancy restaurant, say some nice things, give them a present, then we go home, game end. Isn't that how real life is?

HXGhWku.gif

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I want to take OP back to one of the most iconic dating sim games of all time

It's time to play Tokimeki Memorial.

Mw2TEPC.gif

It's more like "it's weird, so I don't like it."

Which is completely valid.

It's okay to not like it, but the people that don't like it telling others to seek medical help is disgusting.

It really elitist and ignorant to do that.

I also keep seeing more people misgendering Holy when it's been clear that she identifies as a female, I thought NeoGAF wasn't okay with Transphobia.

Einbroch

Banned
everybody please stop

please

Sucks that your browser is locked on this page with an autorefresher + scroller and you're tied to your chair with your eyes glued open.

Must be uncomfortable!

SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE SQUEE

It's okay to not like it, but the people that don't like it telling others to seek medical help is disgusting.

It really elitist and ignorant to do that.

I also keep seeing more people misgendering Holy when it's been clear that she identifies as a female, I thought NeoGAF wasn't okay with Transphobia.

Yep. Agreed on the bolded. Its insulting, adds nothing to the thread, and people play it off as "valid criticism".

You really see these kind of reactions on other threads about people's hobby. I can imagine gaming side filled with locked threads if people start telling others they need to seek medical help for liking a game or a genre of game.

Zane

Sucks that your browser is locked on this page with an autorefresher + scroller and you're tied to your chair with your eyes glued open.

Must be uncomfortable!

don't act like it's confined to this thread

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Take the word "otaku", for intance; in Japan, it simply refers to any social awkward NEET with fixed, narrow, and intense interests, not necessarily an anime fan.
Actually the word we have is fanatic or anorak. Otaku isn't a mental illness. What next, being a geek is a disease?

rpmurphy

I'm this. And it's astounding how i've never seen an anime or manga that is relatable due to the way people are portrayed.
An important of it though, is that the SoL genre is closely tied to the experiences of the author, which means that anime and manga are going to have the settings and characters that are relatable for the Japanese audience that consume the medium. If you're looking for something closer to say a real life experiences in the US, you wouldn't look towards Japanese TV and film, but in American drama and sitcoms. There are certainly SoL anime or manga that does not sugar-coat everything, but even then, it's still not the same thing as what you would be looking for.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You think I should play it, I'll heed your advice, but I'm not looking into dating sims at the moment, or at all to be honest.

I don't think it's been translated into English. It is just really iconic for the genre because it started a system where if you ignored some of the other girls they'd actually start talking shit to the other girls in the game including the girl you were going for. It made it so you had to start being very careful of choices you'd make.

Arcadius

Banned
I don't think it's been translated into English. It is just really iconic for the genre because it started a system where if you ignored some of the other girls they'd actually start talking shit to the other girls in the game including the girl you were going for. It made it so you had to start being very careful of choices you'd make.

Oh I see, that's a mechanic that's used quite often now-a-days I bet. Thanks for the information though, really interesting.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

I don't think there's a correlation between the two. I've seen some anime, I never said that all of it was bad or that everything is idealized with absolutely no relatable characters in the medium whatsoever. And please bring up a specific scene depicting a date. Regarding the bolded, that's what happens on a date in the most superficial way, how are conversations portrayed, presents given<---(never done this btw on a first date), etc
I guess you'd just need to watch different types of slice of life, instead of anime shows, how about anime movies? I mentioned Studio Ghibli has a few of them, which are all really well done, although they are inherently for kids/younger people.
I have. Studio Ghibli films are really well done, and coincidentally the person behind them, (or used to be), detests the way the industry he's part of works in terms of creating characters and instead does it the way we in the west are taught to. Which is why his films are extremely great instead of being passable films with nice animation.

Miyazaki's specific concerns are over the lack of attention paid to people in real life. He said people in the industry "don't spend time watching real people" and can be characterized as "humans who can't stand looking at other humans." He then called the industry "full of otaku."

Miyazaki approaches animation by observing others. In the interview, as Miyazaki sketches, he explains he's able to create art because he spends time watching others.

Zane

Your mouse also auto clicks on anime threads? Rough life.

Although if it does derail a legit thread it's usually locked or there's some sort of mod intervention.

how was I supposed to know what kind of thread this was until I clicked on it? how was I supposed to know, when entering any particular thread, that holy baikal would be shitposting in it and derailing it? it has never been possible to foresee a thread like this and you know it

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
When will the War on Anime end?

Never. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by otaku and trolls. War, and its consumption of anime, has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. Bish-tagged soldiers carry Mod-tagged sarcasm, use GAF-tagged memes. Confirmation bias inside their minds enhance and regulate their ignorance. GIF control. Information control. Emotion control. Discussion control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of moe destruction. And he who controls the forums, controls anime. War has changed. When the forum is under total control, war... becomes routine.

Vylash

Do you mean Konomi?

get_urlpic.php

Game is awesome we need more games like this.

yeah her, i used her special so many damn times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C4tQhS7WcA

using that word as an insult is fucking gross

Arcadius

Banned
Never. It's no longer about nations, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by otaku and trolls. War, and its consumption of anime, has become a well-oiled machine. War has changed. Bish-tagged soldiers carry Mod-tagged sarcasm, use GAF-tagged memes. Confirmation bias inside their minds enhance and regulate their ignorance. GIF control. Information control. Emotion control. Discussion control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of moe destruction. And he who controls the forums, controls anime. War has changed. When the forum is under total control, war... becomes routine.

Metal Gear Solid post? If satire, I really like this.

Einbroch

Banned
how was I supposed to know what kind of thread this was until I clicked on it? how was I supposed to know, when entering any particular thread, that holy baikal would be shitposting in it and derailing it? it has never been possible to foresee a thread like this and you know it

What thread does this shit happen in that isn't a jRPG or anime?

cajunator

Banned

Must be uncomfortable!

Dont go overboard, but that was cute.

I don't think there's a correlation between the two. I've seen some anime, I never said that all of it was bad or that everything is idealized with absolutely no relatable characters in the medium whatsoever. And please bring up a specific scene depicting a date. Regarding the bolded, that's what happens on a date in the most superficial way, how are conversations portrayed, presents given<---(never done this btw on a first date), etc

I have. Studio Ghibli films are really well done, and coincidentally the person behind them, (or used to be), detests the way the industry he's part of works in terms of creating characters and instead does it the way we in the west are taught to. Which is why his films are extremely great instead of being passable films with nice animation.

The way the west does characters?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
In all honesty, the world god only knows (the anime that was linked) is more of a harem anime, even though it's one of the more interesting out of the lot. Slice-of-life tends to be an add-on genre, typically paired with comedy. Slice-of-life on its own just means the anime follows the daily life of the characters, it does not indicate that it's any more realistic than a regular anime. If you want a more realistic portrayal of the characters, I would check out something like 5 centemeters per second or more recently Your lie in April.
Harem is another thing I have a huge problem with but that's a different subject. -_-

Dont go overboard, but that was cute.

The way the west does characters?
Since we're on the topic of animation and it would be infinitely unfair to bring up an example that completely outclasses most if not all slice of life anime in terms of portraying characters and life in a way that is highly relatable for the viewing audience.
BoyHood, Last Picture Show
. Or more topically, how children act or how teenagers act. You learn these things by interacting with people and observing them. Like this is how two children act.

tumblr_m48o7ttj9j1rpkdsho1_400.gif

It's a super common thing between siblings. My cousins do this, my friend's kids do this, my sister did this etc That helps a film or show as it helps to make the audience care more about them. And that will always be infinitely better than pandering to the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom