• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I actually prefer Spider-Man (PS5) at 30fps.

It's really funny seeing this thread today. I have the game on Steam running on my ~6 year old PC with a 7700k and 1080 Ti and I too prefer to cap at 30 fps where I can easily lock it at max settings (barring ray tracing) and high resolution without any fake upscaling solutions. I've tried running at say 1440p with FSR 2.0 or IGT with an uncapped framerates and honestly I don't prefer that over a locked 30 with my hardware having plenty of overhead to run nice and cool and quiet. The game still feels responsive because aside from frametime delay, lower fps does not mean significantly higher input lag contrary to popular belief. And with VRR displays today if can still look fairly smooth even if the frames aren't perfectly divided by your screen's refresh rate. It's really not bad. I hate nothing more than an unlocked framerate where it constantly goes from smooth to choppy and back again, it's so distracting, and all the while your graphics card's fans are cranked up from 100% usage constantly. No thanks, miss me with that shit.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It's really funny seeing this thread today. I have the game on Steam running on my ~6 year old PC with a 7700k and 1080 Ti and I too prefer to cap at 30 fps where I can easily lock it at max settings (barring ray tracing) and high resolution without any fake upscaling solutions. I've tried running at say 1440p with FSR 2.0 or IGT with an uncapped framerates and honestly I don't prefer that over a locked 30 with my hardware having plenty of overhead to run nice and cool and quiet. The game still feels responsive because aside from frametime delay, lower fps does not mean significantly higher input lag contrary to popular belief. And with VRR displays today if can still look fairly smooth even if the frames aren't perfectly divided by your screen's refresh rate. It's really not bad. I hate nothing more than an unlocked framerate where it constantly goes from smooth to choppy and back again, it's so distracting, and all the while your graphics card's fans are cranked up from 100% usage constantly. No thanks, miss me with that shit.
I don't think that even Gsync or Freesync works with 30 fps. Minimum is 40 for both.

Stuart360

I actually had a look at the 30fps mode on PC (half vsync option) and it actually looked and felt decent. Still wouldnt play it over 60fps though.

Skifi28

PC gaming at 30fps? Careful or they'll exclude you from the master race club.

Fbh

Depends on the game really.
I'm currently playing through Guardians of the Galaxy on ps5 and I ended up going with the 30fps 4K mode.

The difference is just massive. Switching to the 60fps mode the resolution goes all the way down from native 4K to 1080p, and the textures are worse, and the draw distance gets worse, and the ambient occlusion gets worse, and the hair and fur on everyone looks really fuzzy, etc. I'm not sure if the game is badly optimized or if there's something making it extra hard to achieve 60fps on it but the tradeoff seems way bigger than in other games.

Now if it was very action heavy I'd probably still stick to the 60 fps, but so far combat is maybe one third of the experience and the game puts a lot more focus on cutscenes and exploring the nice looking locations, and I think both of those elements gain more from the massive visual improvement of the 30fps mode than the smooth movement of 60fps.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

WQGFLet.gif

Banned
W5if3e8.gif

I’m with you OP. It’s like that for me for all third person cinematic action adventure games.

Give me all the bells and whistles graphics wise while looking like an action flick.

noone actually cares about the interactive parts of games anymore, just make them look pretty, gameplay comes last!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What if: You can play with all the bell and whistle while keeping it at 60 fps? Would oen still choose 30 fps?
Nope, but there may be a Hobbit: HFR edition where I will rather get the lower framerate option ;).

For now, I would rather have a 40 FPS option on 120 Hz HDMI 2.1 connections with the 30 FPS quality of minimal sacrifices, but gaining meaningful gameplay and responsiveness benefits.

Hohenheim

No framerate in the world can save that boring snorefest of a game for me. But I guess part of that is on me, as I've never enjoyed the cheesy one-liners and mood in that universe. That,combined with that "Ubisoft-feel" in the actual gameplay.. Zzzzz.

30 fps felt quite sluggish though. That performance ray tracing mode is probably the best if playing on console.

Last edited:
I know it has become a bit of trope that 30fps is closer to 24fps; and therefore it is "more cinematic". But this is one of those games where it holds absolutely true for me.

While I am in absolute agreement that 60fps feels more responsive and has less undesirable judder; and I do prefer 60fps for many game types, (first person, survival, sim, arcade and many other third person games etc.). Spider-Man just feels better to me in 30fps in terms of a sense of momentum, in terms of the visual believability, how the assets appear and just my overall emotional response to the game.

The heightened sense of reality can bring about a sense of mundanity that makes the experience feel less fantastical. Just as in movies where most scenes at HFR break down and literally come across as sets and actors in dress up.. In certain games that are trying to be conveyed as intrinsically cinematic or epic experiences, the more rudimentary nature of assets becomes more apparent with increased temporal resolution.

Insomniac also have exceptional motion blur; and the 60fps modes do not appear to have appropriately adjusted shutter speed for it. With this also comes that sense of momentum: 60fps is giving me more information but it feels mundane, but at 30fps I feel like I have weight and I'm swinging faster. The motion is implied within each frame and my brain is filling in the gaps to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Whereas at 60fps I'm just getting my current position.

Again, I'm totally in favour for 60fps for most other games as well as being an option for games like this. But, for games like this..... that present the character/s and the world to you as one in a somewhat cinematic or epic manner as opposed to presenting the world to you as if you're the character, then I hope making a 30fps option available remains the norm (just as ND did with the recent TLOUII PS5 patch, you can choose either in the menu).

While of course movies and games are different things, there is obviously some cross-over, particularly in games such as Spidey. But one eg. I'd also like to give in respect to movies and in a different regard (spatial resolution and shutter speed vs temporal resolution) would be Mission Impossible: Fallout. There's a few "LIEMAX" scenes near the end shot on a Panavision 8K digital camera at 1.90:1 (as opposed to the 35mm Film 2.35:1 scenes elsewhere). Now from what I can gather these are meant to make the scope feel bigger, to make the action scenes more clear and epic. In reality, these shots overload my sub conscious with visual information (high frequency detail, smoother motion) and subsequently they felt more mundane, too real and removed me from the movie; the fixed shots of Cavill in the chopper just felt like someone stuck a high res camera in a chopper on a documentary.

Don't get me wrong, I'm favour of all kinds of approaches (and especially options for the end user) across different content of different types, but I think it's important to take into account the visual texture of the medium in addition to the content and how it impacts peoples' emotional response to it. And of course, when it comes to games and if it is 30fps, it has to be rock-solid with tight frame-pacing, no tearing and as little latency as possible.

What I don't like is when a game is originally released in 30fps but is updated for new platforms and is only available in 60fps. Days gone did this on PS5 and while I personally do prefer 60fps for it, there should always be an option to revert to the original fps. I can't recall if it was the The Nathan Drake Collection of The Last Of Us Remastered; but one of these released on PS4 with only 60fps available and I absolutely hated it, the texture of it not only robbed it of the feels but last gen geometry stuck out like a sore thumb.

So yeah, to summarise: I think Spidey on PS5 just feels better at 30fps, greater sense of momentum, greater emotional response, more aesthetically pleasing image and more artistically in keeping with the content. And I personally prefer to trade-off some responsiveness and visual comfort in favour of that.
It's down to weather or not you've played extensively at 60fps on any game, if you have and switch back to 30fps it looks and feels off or bad even. I play FH5 at 30fps and it feels and looks great but I know if I play at 60fps and then switch back I won't be able to play at 30fps anymore. The added fidelity is great so I stay at 30fps but I'm well aware 60fps is the better option when gaming.

30fps isn't playable far as I'm concerned. Last gen when it was all we could choose, I'd accept it --- but every game has a 60fps option or better, and I cannot imagine a scenario where I would willingly choose 30fps.

tvdaXD

Meh, both have their advantages. Luckily the title is on PC now and I don't have to compromise anymore.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's one of the rare cases where I picked visuals over framerate because Insomniac's games make a very good use of ray tracing and they look absolutely stunning with maxed out graphics.

In most other games I prefer faster framerates, though, because the visual impact of higher fidelity modes is negligible and it's probably an arbitrary lock anyway, because most games could probably run smoothly in higher resolutions and with ray tracing but game devs just don't want you to see an occasional stutter or a framerate dip that may happen from time to time. I played DIRT 5 on PS5 the other day and that's literally how that game works if you put it in highest visual fidelity mode. It looks amazeballs and it runs buttery smooth, with only a very sporadic drop in frames on some tracks that usually only lasts 2-3 seconds.

It's one of the rare cases where I picked visuals over framerate because Insomniac's games make a very good use of ray tracing and they look absolutely stunning with maxed out graphics.

In most other games I prefer faster framerates, though, because the visual impact of higher fidelity modes is negligible and it's probably an arbitrary lock anyway, because most games could probably run smoothly in higher resolutions and with ray tracing but game devs just don't want you to see an occasional stutter or a framerate dip that may happen from time to time. I played DIRT 5 on PS5 the other day and that's literally how that game works if you put it in highest visual fidelity mode. It looks amazeballs and it runs buttery smooth, with only a very sporadic drop in frames on some tracks that usually only lasts 2-3 seconds.
And that is when internet vultures come at game devs. One stutter in 5 hours... game is unplayable. Devs are lazy and trash. We need to call out Digital foundry for not dedicating an entire 2 hours special to that one stutter or framedrop. We know how it goes. This board and Era are prime negative examples.

Whitecrow

Banned
Having watched movies and shows on the TV at 30 (or 24) fps, 60 definitily is more 'gamey'. If you look for immersion, which is a legit thing despite whatever the 60fps or buts cult says, bells, whistles, and 30 fps can get the job done better than 60.

Drizzlehell

Banned
And that is when internet vultures come at game devs. One stutter in 5 hours... game is unplayable. Devs are lazy and trash. We need to call out Digital foundry for not dedicating an entire 2 hours special to that one stutter or framedrop. We know how it goes. This board and Era are prime negative examples.
Probably depends on the game. If it's a high profile release then it would likely be scrutinized more harshly. I can't remember anyone complaining about those frame drops in DIRT 5, at least.

Banned
Having watched movies and shows on the TV at 30 (or 24) fps, 60 definitily is more 'gamey'. If you look for immersion, which is a legit thing despite whatever the 60fps or buts cult says, bells, whistles, and 30 fps can get the job done better than 60.

ah yes the immersion of having worse controls and a lower framerate!
how immersive to be reminded of media that isn't interactive.

I can't put into words how much I detest what you wrote there

ah yes the immersion of having worse controls and a lower framerate!
how immersive to be reminded of media that isn't interactive.

I can't put into words how much I detest what you wrote there
Lol. Don't fret. The 30fps crowd is now in the firm minority (as evidenced by any of the polls that ran here related to the matter).

darrylgorn

Insomniac also have exceptional motion blur; and the 60fps modes do not appear to have appropriately adjusted shutter speed for it. With this also comes that sense of momentum: 60fps is giving me more information but it feels mundane, but at 30fps I feel like I have weight and I'm swinging faster. The motion is implied within each frame and my brain is filling in the gaps to create something greater than the sum of its parts. Whereas at 60fps I'm just getting my current position.
wtf-is-that-confused.gif

Whitecrow

Banned
I wonder what trauma people have, talking like if 30 fps murdered someone.

When someone tries to enforce one idea so compulsively (aka 30 fps murdered my mom), it's because the opposite idea have a big negative impact on their ego, which concludes one thing:
Mental illness.

Go get yourselves checked.

BlackTron

I have no doubts that some players prefer higher fidelity and don't care about higher framerate.
But it's also other way around.
So devs should provide to us both modes so we can choose which one we like more.

It's not that hard.

The mode options aren't always on point though.

At least on PC if you want high graphics at 1440p 60fps, you can. The options on console often make you choose one extreme over the other which kinda sucks.

Top Bottom