• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Vol. 1 will run at 720p on all consoles (30fps on Switch and 60fps on PS5/Series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
UPDATE BY KONAMI

metal-gear-solid-collection.large.jpg

These versions run at 720p, and the Switch version is also seemingly capped at 30fps, despite the original HD releases running at 60fps. Considering the Switch is more powerful than the two consoles that previously held this pair of games, it’s disappointing to say the least that the frames have been halved.
We asked about performance on PS5, Xbox Series X, plus the newly announced PS4 release; Konami clarified that the games will be targeting the same resolution (720p) and frame rate of the initial HD releases. Given that Switch isn’t running them at 60fps, we suppose we’ll have to wait and see how things fare on the other platforms.

TLDR
  • 360/PS3: 720p/60fps
  • Switch: 720p/30fps
  • PS4/PS5/Series: 720p/60fps
Fun note:

The menus for both games just flat out have 'HD Edition' plastered on them, with '© 2012 Konami' still there as well.

Preview Thread for More Info

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How hard is this to do on powerful modern HW? Pretty inexcusable. I don't really care to hear a PR reason either. You just had a PS3 era game ported to Switch (RDR) that ran at lower res and running at 1080p on Switch. These are PS2 era titles.

You lose a sale in a heartbeat doing things like this. Sorry it's just not excusable on the more modern systems.

Gaming preservation is truly an afertthought in this industry and it's a fucking shame.

Subpar remasters (when the exist) barely and BC, etc...

Emulation keeps winning.

DaGwaphics

At least it brings the old collection back to the market on the new systems for those that had not purchased it previously. That's about all you can say about this.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I want them in the original resolutions please. Im fairly sure they will be internally from what I have seen and just run in a 720 output. I just do not want to see any blurry post filtering.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was gonna come in here and say:
That's the same as the HD Collection from more than 10 years ago!

Then I realised it IS the HD Collection from more than 10 years ago. Holy shit Konami.

I wasn't expecting the full trilogy remade in UE5, but at least a bit of love and care like the recent Quake 2 remaster.

Instead this is just a lazy port. In terms of the Switch, it's actually a downgrade to what was released 10 years ago.

Speaking of Quake 2, that's £7.99. They're asking £50 for this lazy port? It's a hard no from me.

Schmick

Surely the developers themselves didn't want this (the individual developers themselves)? Who actually makes these decisions?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So what? 720p 60 is more than enough for these titles if these are not remasters.
I want that chunky pixels in mgs1. It would look worse in 4k.

For mgs2 and 3, 4k wouldn’t hurt but I bet that the post processing effects like misty rain, dof and bloom disappear with higher resolution as these effects often do so 720p might be just fine. Again, these assets don’t need anything more.
There really is no difference running these games 720p or 4k if you run anti aliasing.

Just for the love of god make the ports true to originals. We never had good mgs1 port.

Emulating mgs1 at 4k ruins it.

The only good way to do 4k for mgs1 would be integer scaling but consoles don’t support it. 4k divides integer by 720p so you could quadruple the pixels but that only works for unfiltered games. Games with filtered textures like 2 and 3 look better with normal bilinear scaling. Integer scaling would introduce pixelisation to the image.

So yeah, 4k is actually ok news considering the ports are true to original and don’t introduce new issues.

But straight collection? 10$. Not fucking 50
Edit: I see people laughing? Why? I am right. The games look best with original settings. That’s how it works most of time with this stuff. It’s a collection. Not remastered collection. So nobody can say they overpromised lol.
Still fuck konami

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I'm playing twin snakes right now, rendered in 6k with 16:9 aspect ratio, looks great. Same can be done with PS3 versions of this hd collection (or even PS2 versions). Emulation all the way. Fuck Konami.

HD Collection runs poorly in some areas on PS3 emulator for some reason so PS2 emulator is still the way to go. Or maybe Xenia will handle it well too, not sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom