• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't take 30 fps games seriously anymore

SimTourist

Man, you know what, after enjoying so many games with 60 fps modes on the Series X I can't even play at 30 fps anymore. It just looks so goofy and janky I can't engage with the game, I'm distracted by the choppiness, I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity. I'll take any graphical hits for the 60 fps mode because I won't notice a difference, but the 30 fps makes the whole image look bad in motion I can't appreciate the graphics tbh. When playing at 60 I'm in the game, I'm fully engaged and enjoying myself and at 30 I just wanna delete the game. It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will not buy or even play a console game that is only 30 fps. Won't play Gotham Knights on console. Didn't play Watch Dogs Legion until it got a performance mode and will not play Starfield on console until it gets 60 fps minimum. However, I am enjoying Starfield on my PC, so that's a moot point.

I am 100% done with 30 fps and I hope developers make sure there is always a performance mode on PS5 and XSX (XSS can pound sand)

DonF

Same. I just started the calisto protocol and even though the game looks freaking awesome, the 30 fps isn't worth it. Good think the devs added a 60 fps performance mode. The game loses a bit of fidelity, but it more than made up for the fluidity.

King Dazzar

Man, you know what, after enjoying so many games with 60 fps modes on the Series X I can't even play at 30 fps anymore. It just looks so goofy and janky I can't engage with the game, I'm distracted by the choppiness, I can't aim well or even take in the story as my eyes just see the lack of fluidity. I'll take any graphical hits for the 60 fps mode because I won't notice a difference, but the 30 fps makes the whole image look bad in motion I can't appreciate the graphics tbh. When playing at 60 I'm in the game, I'm fully engaged and enjoying myself and at 30 I just wanna delete the game. It's funny how I put up with 30 and sub 30 during PS360/PS4 days but I can't anymore. I'm sure PC players playing at 300 fps are laughing at me.
I'm the same. But you can get used to 30fps again - it just takes some time for your eyes to adjust to the motion. And to re-adjust, I find you'd need to avoid looking at anything in 60fps. But hey, why should you. And latency will always be worse too.

BlackTron

I've been gaming for over 30 years and have played games at many varying frame rates. It never has been particularly important to me. Sure, I like 60, 120, 144 fps, but I can play a 30 fps game just as easily. It usually only takes me a few minutes to get acclimated.

It really depends on the game/genre of course. It's hard to believe someone playing a FPS game at 60-144FPS can switch to the same game at 30 like it isn't a big deal

I prefer 30 FPS, 60 FPS looks too fake and gives me a headache

You know we are talking about games and not movies right?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

It really depends on the game/genre of course. It's hard to believe someone playing a FPS game at 60-144FPS can switch to the same game at 30 like it isn't a big deal
Well I don't have experience switching from 120-144hz down to 30 on the same game, but I have switched from playing at 60fps to 30fps in Forza Horizon and Cyberpunk. Both times I started at 60 and dropped for the visual enhancements.

I agree that typically it's a game by game basis.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
6l2xqbtv32a61.jpg

SimTourist

I'm the same. But you can get used to 30fps again - it just takes some time for your eyes to adjust to the motion. And to re-adjust, I find you'd need to avoid looking at anything in 60fps. But hey, why should you. And latency will always be worse too.
The only exception I've made is playing RDR2 because the game is just too good to pass up, but even then I wished it was 60.

yamaci17

Well I don't have experience switching from 120-144hz down to 30 on the same game, but I have switched from playing at 60fps to 30fps in Forza Horizon and Cyberpunk. Both times I started at 60 and dropped for the visual enhancements.
same here

playing cyberpunk at 35 40 fps with ray traced lighting at psycho. reflex+vrr = playable and snappy

i dont mind framerate much anymore tbf

i can play cs2 at 300 fps, doom eternal at 120 fps and cyberpunk at 40 fps back to back

not a single damn given

Fbh

While I don't think 30fps is the end of the world, these days I need a game to really justify a 30fps target with amazing visuals or physics for me to be ok with it.

So far none of these 30fps games (or ones with 60fps modes that have to drop to 720p) have felt like they justify their terrible performance and/or resolution. When I can play a game like God of War Ragnarok at native 1440p and 60-85 fps (with VRR) or Forbidden West with awesome visuals at 60fps in a big open world, I'm just not seeing a big enough improvement in stuff like Final Fantasy XVI, Gotham Knights, Jedi Survivor or Plague Tale for the trade-off to be worth it.

If you give me an open world with the visuals, density and car physics of the Matrix demo then sure, I might accept 30fps. But so far nothing comes close.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm currently playing Zelda, Starfield and Ratched at 30 fps. Zero problems.

JCK75

The only time I care is if it's an online shooter where my reaction needs to be on point..
anything else.. I'm content so long as it's stable.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well, you will be having a high amount of games you won't be able to play anymore then. There is such thing as being too demanding.
Or developers need to stop trying to force things into games that consoles can't handle. That would be the better option.

I would love to see developers/publishers release data on whether games are played at performance or quality modes. I would LOVE to see that data.

Whitecrow

Banned
You know, if besides gaming, you also watch TV shows and movies, playing games at +60fps will be always be reminding you that you are playing a game.

Which, want it or not, is counter-productive on games that relies heavily in immersion.

Games being only games was a thing 20 years ago. Now they can be much more richier experiences.
For example:

Playing Minecraft at 30fps, which is 100% pure gameplay based, will be like scratching chalkboard.
At the same time, plaing something like TLOU2 and watch a cinematic at 60 fps, will also feel weird and distracting, because your brain is used to 24fps in videos.

Narrative immersion / gameplay is a balance, each type of game benefits more from one or the other.
And even if a lot of people think about games like "only games", there's also a lot of people who plays them for the immersion, the world, the ccharacters, and the story, and ultra-fine-tuned gameplay is a second priority.

Devs should respect both. ANd people advocating for 'only gameplay matters' should also respect other people way of enjoying a game.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Narrative immersion / gameplay is a balance, each type of game benefits more from one or the other.
And even if a lot of people think about games like "only games", there's also a lot of people who plays them for the immersion, the world, the ccharacters, and the story, and ultra-fine-tuned gameplay is a second priority.

Well put. It really depends on the game. Sometimes I find I prefer the 30 fps option in a game even if 60 is offered.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Jokes aside, I agree. I’ve made personal choice to only play games on console that off a 60 fps mode. I’ve also been lucky enough that my uncle has gifted me a computer 5800x3d with a 6800xt recently that I’ll be using more and more I think. I tried starfield on my series s at 30 fps and it was playable but then I switch to my pc and it was entirely different (once I turned off fsr2). I suspect companies track all this data so the more we stick to it, the more likely they are to offer these options.

I just got done playing through silent hill 1 on the ps1 at what I reckon was a solid 20 fps, and I had a blast.

I do prefer ultra smooth framerates, but it isnt ever a deal breaker for me. Maybe it was my extensive play at wow at 15-20 fps with dips to 1fps in cities back in the day.

MarkMe2525

Or developers need to stop trying to force things into games that consoles can't handle. That would be the better option.

I would love to see developers/publishers release data on whether games are played at performance or quality modes. I would LOVE to see that data.
You know the human eye can't tell the difference between frame rates higher than 30fps... it's science

Hudo

I just couple of days ago read the Quake 2 patchnotes on Steam, where one item was "hard capped max fps to 1000" or so. And chuckled.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I obviously prefer 60fps, but a locked 30 with proper motion blur is fairly easy to get used to. I get bothered waaaay more by inconsistent framerates. I'd much rather have a locked 30 than a game that fluctuates between 40-60 (even with VRR).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I think the last 30fps game I played was RDR2 at launch. Gonna be really rough going back when necessary.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One reason I hate 30 fps so much is that it is just awful OLED due to the instant pixel response time.

40 fps is interesting though.

Like I said, I am 100% done with 30 fps on consoles.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've played a couple of things in 30fps recently and was surprised at how not awful it seemed.

Given the choice though, I would always take 60 over resolution, textures and or effects. I played Evil West recently at 1080p because that's the 60fps mode on consoles. That also surprised me, by how good that looked.

I think 1080/60 would be a fine place for developers to start with any game, and then see where you can go up from there.

Last edited:

Adam_802

I'm honestly glad I can switch between different framerates and not really be bothered. I get used to it fairly quickly.

amigastar

Good news for console players that Alan Wake 2 will have 60fps performance mode.
I play mostly on PC though with 60+fps.

Last edited:
Cmon 30fps is just fine
Sometimes I find I prefer the 30 fps option in a game even if 60 is offered.
If I can choose between toned down graphics with soap opera 60 fps effect or the best possible graphics at 30 fps then I always choose 30. Actually I would choose 30 most of the times if they looked the same because I don’t like the soap opera effect
I prefer 30 FPS, 60 FPS looks too fake and gives me a headache

I can't tell who's joking and who's serious.

Roni

Gold Member
Your eyes adjust in 15 min
giphy.gif

I don't know. If I saw people jumping around and stuttering in real life, THAT would give me a headache.
People hated the Hobbit in theaters because of this exact phenomenon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom