• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

clarky

Gold Member
Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif
You don't care what anyone says but you expect us to give a shit about your trash opinion? Ok.

lmimmfn

BG3 really is that good?
I've checked multiple vids from it... it seems good for an isometric rpg, old school like icewind dale 2 or something. but is it more than that ?
It's certainly not everyones cup of tea.
It's amazing, everything is a choice and the choice has outcomes and those choices have cutscenes. Never before have I seen a story progress that continues with your specific decision and for the outcome to progress.

Apparently there's 117 hours of cutscene footage to backup all those outcomes.

It makes previous RPGs feel like childplay it's so far ahead of the competition.

Not to mention the gameplay has so many ways to achieve the desired outcome, its fantastic, I haven't enjoyed a game as much in over 10 years and I'm 60+ hours into it and still loving it whereas most RPGs are a complete slog at that stage.

RickMasters

BG3 really is that good?
I've checked multiple vids from it... it seems good for an isometric rpg, old school like icewind dale 2 or something. but is it more than that ?
I have watched videos of it on YouTube and it seems like a very Hardcore PC centric game. I don’t mean that as a knock. I think it deserves all the praise it gets and I love how other devs got salty about its success because between BG and elder scrolls these games should be the standard as building a good solid game. It was a kick up the ass for a lot of devs that they probably needed.

With all that said. I think it might just win GOTY for a lot of people. As far as turn based RPGs go it has everything right going for it. Story. Depth of gameplay. Etc… elden ring won on similar honest video game merits….. it could win.

RickMasters

TOTK is great, no argument there, it's in the running for sure. But FFXVI? Come on man. That is a major disappointment. I mean this is all subjective but it's not even going to get close to most of these "major" awards.
Agree. It’s going to be either BG3 or TOTK. Everything else was either hit or miss, with most people. Including starfield and FFXVI. I don’t think they are bad games but they didn’t quite hit the highs of TOTK and BG3 with reviews across the board.

simpatico

Only if you penalize R4make for being a remake. If you judge them all equally in a vacuum, RE4 sweeps with ease. None of the games listed will get near RE4 on the "all time" list.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
It's amazing, everything is a choice and the choice has outcomes and those choices have cutscenes. Never before have I seen a story progress that continues with your specific decision and for the outcome to progress.

Apparently there's 117 hours of cutscene footage to backup all those outcomes.

It makes previous RPGs feel like childplay it's so far ahead of the competition.

Not to mention the gameplay has so many ways to achieve the desired outcome, its fantastic, I haven't enjoyed a game as much in over 10 years and I'm 60+ hours into it and still loving it whereas most RPGs are a complete slog at that stage.
Is it all this snarky modern humour in fantasy setting though? Yt constantly recommends me these unfunny clips

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What a silly premise. Please show me your evidence that the press only put 10-15 hours into Starfield. I’m calling major bullshit on that one. Maybe some of them just didn’t enjoy the game? It’s OK for differing opinions, you know. It’s not some conspiracy.
I think the evidence that they only put 15 hours in is how high it scored. The longer you play the less you like it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ac6 alone smack in the ass both starfield and ff16 :lollipop_squinting:

Totk is the only valid entry on that list.

I played 50 hours of stuffield and if anything, it get worse the more you play, same for ff16.

I think that even iterative-man 2 has more chance at the goty than Starfeet.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Most important quality for GOTY contender should be it pushes the boundaries. Getting to play stuff that's never been done before. And be good at it, inspiring other developers along the way. From that criteria:

-TOTK: Contender
-Starfield: Contender
-Baldurs Gate 3: we have seen this before, but it's high quality so, contender

Other nominees I dunno. Too many great games to decide.
giphy.gif

Cool opinion. But when has 15 personal hours of someone’s time not enough to form an opinion? Especially adults with limited free time. Also, Starfield clearly didn’t take off as well as people thought. Which is fine. We can enjoy whatever makes us happy. However, after putting in 20 plus hours in both. I’m giving Hogwarts Legacy GOTY contender before Starfield.

devilNprada

BG3 really is that good?
I AGREE it's not everyone's cup of tea.
It is however a godsend to D&D/PC crossover (with added multiplayer) many people have been waiting for FOREVER! (and on a console too)!

In my eyes it's more than just GOTY and hopefully not a one off, but the start of a whole new D&D/PC generation!

Humdinger

Gold Member
I think people are taking the OP's title a bit too literally.

Anyhow, I disagree. Imo, the only legitimate candidates are Tears of the Kingdom, Baldur's Gate 3, and maybe Hogwarts Legacy (although even if nominated wouldn't be allowed to win). I don't think Starfield or FF16 rank up there. I assume they will still get nominated, because the awards are kind of a joke, but they don't deserve to win.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The re4 remake isn’t on there

It’s the remake of all remakes. They perfected perfection.

Really either that or Starfield or Mario 5. Those are the most ball tingling for me this year.

And then you remember Hogwarts came out this year.

And Prime Remastered

And Dead Space

And Atomic Heart

And Jedi

This year has been fucking insane 🥵

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

Zelda shouldn't even be considered. Rehash of previous game, PS3 graphics, stif animations and lots of bugs.

Just_one

TOTK will unfortunally win because its a nintendo game and the industry always had a hard on for nintendo.

a game that has performance issues but still gets a 10 because its a nintendo game...LOL

SHA

Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif
Making %99.99 of the games worthless is nothing but being edgy, this is definitely not a work of professionals.

Last edited:

Reckheim

Didn't play Zelda but based on the quality of breath of the wild I can see it being goty.

Both Starfield and FF16 were mediocre at best.

foamdino

fXHYEpz.gif
You're wrong, BG3 is better than anything else this year (and indeed for many years).

sigmaZ

Are we talking likelihood or your personal choice?
Likelihood I would say it will be TOTK or Spiderman 2 as they have more pop appeal.

FF16 is really a pos game the further away I get from it. The spectacle, voice acting, and a few highlights were all it really had going for it. As a game it's horribly designed and outside of the battle system shows a lack of understanding of even fundamental game design. They should've just made it a movie.

Starfield is just garbage. But some people like to play with garbage and make things with it.

Zelda was excellent and kind of made up for most of the thing Breath of the Wild failed at.
If I had to pick from these three titles, it would be Zelda all the way.

But as far as enjoyment, of course Baldurs Gate 3 is far beyond any of those games. It's the only game I've played for 200 hours straight and then started over to do it all over again (and with a vastly different story path). Baldurs Gate does something none of the other games you mentioned do well and that's design every inch of the world with a specific purpose. The dialog is also witty and very personal at times and the amount of true freedom is far more than most games out there.

Laptop1991

i'm an older Bethesda fan, so only Starfield interested me and i haven't bought it yet as from what i've seen so far, it's a bit of a let down, i'll wait until it's cheaper, i can't speak for the other 2, but i suppose it depends on what the competition is.

Last edited:

roxya

Starfield is going to be reviewed "mixed" on steam before the end of the week, I'll be surprised if it's in the running

Top Bottom