• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Starfield will not be even close to Game of the Year for me. It's a good 7/10 game that is worth playing, but it doesn't have the "curiosity" factor that made previous Bethesda games were playing. They went with a more is better approach. 1000 planets with mostly procedurally generated content completely disincentivized any exploring.

rofif

Banned
Starfield will not be even close to Game of the Year for me. It's a good 7/10 game that is worth playing, but it doesn't have the "curiosity" factor that made previous Bethesda games were playing. They went with a more is better approach. 1000 planets with mostly procedurally generated content completely disincentivized any exploring.
Is it a good 7/10 game?
I could barely get 2 hours into it and i always finished bethesda games day1... maybe my gaming habits changed but I just don't feel it.

Rykan

Sneering and unnecessarily rude, that's the tone you want to set? This is the kind of opener people with social skills wouldn't make. Tbh, from this point you've lost me and had me thinking there's no point replying to you, if that's your opening then why would I bother?

I'm going to improve my experience of this enthusiast's forum by ignoring your comment. Try to be more polite if you want to debate my posts with me in the future, there's nothing in it for me to argue with rude people on the Internet. Life's too short.
I'm the one setting the tone? You're claiming that your personal pick for GOTY, which is a completely subjective opinion, by the way, is the only objectively correct answer, and that 'fanboys' of other titles need to be 'honest' and acknowledge that nothing can challenge your personal pick.

The utter and outright complete lack of self-awareness on your part is stunning, to say the least.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif

Starfield in a vacuum is a good game. Then you play phantom liberty and realize quickly how many warts it has.

FF16 I loved and think it’s a good, borderline great game, but has many issues. Empty open world areas with no reward to exploring, the game is piss easy, has some major pacing issues, no actual customization/progression with meaningful choices, and some of the worst side quests ever to name a few.

Zelda? Easy slam dunk out of your 3 as GOTY. Opus magnum stuff.

Other amazing games this year:

RE4 Remake
Lies of P
Armored Core 6
Baldurs Gate 3( likely will win GOTY most places)
Phantom Liberty

With two more potential GOTY candidates left:
Spider-Man 2
Alan wake 2

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it a good 7/10 game?
I could barely get 2 hours into it and i always finished bethesda games day1... maybe my gaming habits changed but I just don't feel it.
I very much think it is a good game that does a lot of things well. If they had made it smaller with a few systems that were fleshed out, I think it would have been an 8.5-9.

It would never reach a 10, since there are still too many little things it doesn't do well. In that it never fully takes into account decisions the way Witcher 3 does. Big Dan Gaming mentioned that in it's video.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
BG3 really is that good?
I've checked multiple vids from it... it seems good for an isometric rpg, old school like icewind dale 2 or something. but is it more than that ?
It's certainly not everyones cup of tea.
It's more than that. The sheer amount and depth of choice is frankly unlike anything I have seen in a game before. If you don't love turn based RNG-heavy combat, you might struggle with that aspect, but it's an incredible achievement of a game.

‘I don’t care what anyone says’, but posts on a forum where people post opinions.

Now, the only one there worthy of GoTY is TOTK from your pick and even that got stale after a few hours for me.

Game of the year (so far) is either RE4 Remake, Baldur’s Gate 3 or probably the new Mario game coming in a few weeks. One of my personal favourites is CS2 as I’ve sunk a bunch of hours into that and stayed up playing way later than I usually would.

Starfield and FFXVI aren’t even close to game of the year to me, less so Starfield because at least FFXVI started out quite strong. Starfield was boring from the get go.

Also, if I have to play 20 hours of a single player game for it to get good, then it’s not a good game, it’s poorly paced. It’s like watching a movie and saying it was great because it ended good, despite the first 2 hours being boring.

Gideon

Realistic contenders:

-BG3
-Spiderman 2
- TOTK
- RE4
-Pikmin/one of the upcoming Mario games/FFXVI

There's no place for Starfield in the GOTY nominations

Boss Man

Anyone who says anything other than Baldur’s Gate 3 or Zelda is trolling.

I’d give it to BG3 only because ToTK was more of an iteration on BoTW. Both completely worthy of GOTY though.

I couldn’t even finish FF16. I like Yoshi-P, the guy clearly loves Final Fantasy and he knows video games. I think he should either be making mobile games or have someone else to answer to though, he just goes way too hard on streamlining.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Hell the title GOTY is stupid anyways as if there's some objective metric that determines all people's taste and preferences.
True, in the end it’s just subjective opinions and a popularity contest, and a great game can fall far down simply because too few people have played it even if everyone who actually play it think it’s the best game of all time.

But for me, trying my best to be objective, Starfield is the biggest disappointment of the year simply because of the pedigree of the studio and my love for them. Not an outright bad game by any stretch, but far below Bethesda's previous offerings in my book. I wanted to like it more than I actually did.
I won’t even try to have an objective opinion, I can only judge games subjectively based on my own taste in games. And regarding Starfield, I just like to play it, that’s it. It’s my most played game of the year at this point, literally everything else has been put aside to wait until I’m done with Starfield. So for that reason it’ll be a GOTY contender for me.

But I’m no doubt disappointed too. I’ve had some rants about stuff. But I rather focus on things I like and after the initial disappointment it went from 7.5 to 9. I got positively surprised at how good the combat is, fun and varied, and the ship building is legit awesome, I enjoy the base building gameplay loop, I like doing quests and in general I just like the amount of content and spending time in the universe. One playthrough finished at 80+ hours, 50+ hours deep into my second one, and there is still new stuff happening everytime I play.

I understand that the majority on GAF don’t share my taste in games though, when Metroid Dread was my GOTY with a wide margin GAF thought Halo Infinite was the GOTY which wasn’t even on my top 10. 🤷‍♂️

What a silly premise. Please show me your evidence that the press only put 10-15 hours into Starfield. I’m calling major bullshit on that one. Maybe some of them just didn’t enjoy the game? It’s OK for differing opinions, you know. It’s not some conspiracy.
A lot I'd say, I'll just say Starfield is the best 83mc rated game of all time and that's a fact.

Hero_Select

I played FF16, Starfield, ToTK.

Theres only one game in that list that going be in the running for GOTY.

It's going to be between Zelda and BG3 and I prefer TotK by a good amount.

Boss Man

It's going to be between Zelda and BG3 and I prefer TotK by a good amount.

ToTK reminds me so much of GoW: Ragnarok.

Both of them were pretty iterative - I wasn’t even very excited to start them, but I thoroughly enjoyed both once I did. Both of them were objectively better than their incredible predecessors and very easy to call the best game that year.

BoTW with a build mechanic might truly be the best game since BoTW without a build mechanic. Like, seriously, I say that without sarcasm. It just feels wrong to give something so iterative a title like GOTY though. It would have to really have no competition. Baldur’s Gate 3 feels like much more of an achievement this year.

Last edited:

proandrad

Sony and Nintendo really convince yall totk and ragnarok weren’t just full priced expansions packs. Yearly call of duty games have more new assets than both these games combined.

Crayon

Sony and Nintendo really convince yall totk and ragnarok weren’t just full priced expansions packs. Yearly call of duty games have more new assets than both these games combined.

All those assets still work and they are the hardest part to make. With how long games take, and the demand for more from audiences, binning all the assets is not automatically the best approach. It would be neat if everything looked new and different. Instead, things still look merely great and we have actual games to play. Not waiting years more and not teases on twitter "gauging interest" to see if stuff is financially viable.

Atrus

Gold Member
Starfield was a lazily developed game that doesn’t deserve RPG goty nomination much less a goty one.

The game is chock full of abandoned systems they tried to implement but didn’t finish and mechanics that exist in prior Bethesda games but didn’t bother to replicate in this one. It doesn’t even do much right as it fails as a planetary explorer, fails as a space trucker, fails as a space combat sim, and fails as an RPG.

There is nothing memorable to take away and the more time you spend on it, the more you come to understand how Bethesda failed at developing this game. It can be a “good” game if you spend like 20-30 hours and focus only on the main and faction quests and then stop, but the more time you spend on anything else the more mediocre it becomes.

Thirty7ven

Banned
BG3 really is that good?
I've checked multiple vids from it... it seems good for an isometric rpg, old school like icewind dale 2 or something. but is it more than that ?
It's certainly not everyones cup of tea.

It’s incredible, and you just need to get over how it looks and actually give it a shot. The game is loaded with actual significant hand crafted content, unlike other games that like to throw mountains of trash at you to padd game time.

Already a classic.

Topher

Gold Member
I was being sarcastic?

Guess not. All the games you mentioned (GoW, GoW:R, RDR 2, ER) can be considered "mass market" based on the huge number of copies each sold so using that as rationale as to why one game won GOTY over another doesn't really make sense.

Cyberpunkd

which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.
I’m happy you have the time to waste on digital entertainment, some of us work and see gaming as a secondary past time. I shouldn’t need to play 50 hours to appreciate the game.

LordCBH

I’d love to see Hogwarts win just so the purple place has an insane meltdown. But it’s gonna be between Zelda and BG3. My preference is BG3

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I feel like Armored Core VI is going to be overlooked by so many people, it fucking shame. I even go far as say ACVI has better NG+ than Elden Ring and other their pervious games.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I feel like Armored Core VI is going to be overlooked by so many people, it fucking shame. I even go far as say ACVI has better NG+ than Elden Ring and other their pervious games.
Armored Core VI is far better than any game released this year

I've go as far as the say its the best game released since Titanfall 2

Crayon

Armored Core VI is far better than any game released this year

I've go as far as the say its the best game released since Titanfall 2

Strong words, but it's excellent. Currently banging my head on the grinder/volcano boss. This game is a beast.

This will take a minute for me to get through. The bosses are so though but the checkpoints make it doable

Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif

Are you not aware it’s early October, and there’s lots of games that haven’t been released yet? Like Lords of the Fallen?

You couldn’t possibly have an objective GOTY decided yet unless you’re not interested in actually picking from every game you’ve played thru 12/31.

Nice try, tho! Let’s circle back on this before New Year’s.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They are all excellent games. But if I had to choose I'd say Tears of the Kingdom is probably gonna win..

Top Bottom