• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't care what anybody says, Starfield, FFXVI and TOTK are still the top games this year and GOTY should be decided between those 3

KàIRóS

Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.

fXHYEpz.gif

L*][*N*K

Banned
Had a blast with Zelda & FFXVI and I'm currently having a blast playing through Starfield, which as expected had to clearly be played for long periods of time instead of doing the journalism BS of playing like 15-20 hours and basing the whole game around that.
Right because Spider-Man 2 doesn't exist.

What a silly premise. Please show me your evidence that the press only put 10-15 hours into Starfield. I’m calling major bullshit on that one. Maybe some of them just didn’t enjoy the game? It’s OK for differing opinions, you know. It’s not some conspiracy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
No problem with the list.

But it might as well be

Lord Of The Rings: Gollum
1-2 Switch
TOTK.

You can change the first two games to anything released or due to be released this year, because as long as one of the options is the game that will win then it doesn't really matter.

TOTK should and will win any objective list. Fanboys will champion various titles but if we're honest, there's nothing that can realistically challenge TOTK.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

What a silly premise. Please show me your evidence that the press only put 10-15 hours into Starfield. I’m calling major bullshit on that one. Maybe some of them just didn’t enjoy the game? It’s OK for differing opinions, you know. It’s not some conspiracy.

My friend, they sometimes get games like 2-3 days before embargo, they have to edit a video, write a script and you expect them to play through the whole game?? I mean sorry to crush your reality but yeah most reviewers don't complete games for their reviews, and Starfield in particular is literally designed to last years and still discover new stuff.

Zheph

either that or technical issues, apparently its impossible for anyone to not enjoy this game

Zheph

My friend, they sometimes get games like 2-3 days before embargo, they have to edit a video, write a script and you expect them to play through the whole game?? I mean sorry to crush your reality but yeah most reviewers don't complete games for their reviews, and Starfield in particular is literally designed to last years and still discover new stuff.
It was pretty transparent for Starfield and no there is no magical thing that makes the game lasting years

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
ToTK is just BotW 2.0 ( imo ).
To some degree, yes. But it's better than BOTW, introduces a bunch of fun new mechanics and impressively pushes the switch to do things most people wouldn't think possible.

If it was merely an iteration on BOTW, it'd still be being talked about, but it's that and more.

Also, personally, I'd say it would be nice to recognize a game that wasn't in early access, or needed major updates over months or years to end up in the state that people would like their games to be in.

But that isn’t what happened here. You might want to actually research a bit before making baseless assumptions. Reviewers had around 2 weeks with Starfield before embargo.

Fredrik

Agreed.

But I haven’t played BG3 yet. And not FFXVI either.

So for me it’ll be Starfield or Zelda TOTK.

Unless Spider-Man 2 comes in from the left and bump them both down with great localization and no blood so I can play it with the kids.

No decision until the year is over. I don’t live in Geoff’s timeline where the year apparently ends in november.

nowhat

Also, personally, I'd say it would be nice to recognize a game that wasn't in early access
How is it bad for a game to be in early access? It's not a model suitable for every studio/game for sure, but when it comes to studios like Larian, it obviously allowed them to finetune their game to what the fans actually want.

(and yes, BG3 is my GOTY so far, by a large margin)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
To some degree, yes. But it's better than BOTW, introduces a bunch of fun new mechanics and impressively pushes the switch to do things most people wouldn't think possible.
I don't think refining and improving upon an existing formula is as GOTY worthy as introducing the masses to an obscure style of RPG through amazing production values and gameplay.

Baldur's Gate 3 had developers talking about how they couldn't match that level of production value in their games.... I don't think TOTK generated that sort of discussion.

BTW all of this is giving serious parallels to the GOTY contender of last year

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I don't think refining and improving upon an existing formula is as GOTY worthy as introducing the masses to an obscure style of RPG through amazing production values and gameplay.

Baldur's Gate 3 had developers talking about how they couldn't match that level of production value in their games.... I don't think TOTK generated that sort of discussion.

I think TOTK generated a lot of discussion amongst devs for the unmatched sandbox/physics. Both are stellar GOTG games IMO, and either one winning GOTY is fair. Thank God for Nintendo and Larian.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can't find the link now but I have seen developers saying that what TOTK is doing on Switch hardware, in particular with regard to object tracking for the rewind ability should be impossible.

How is it bad for a game to be in early access? It's not a model suitable for every studio/game for sure, but when it comes to studios like Larian, it obviously allowed them to finetune their game to what the fans actually want.

You can see that pretty much everyone would like games to release finished and in a good working state. For players, even basic things like avoiding spoilers makes a game releasing in a finished state preferable, let alone the power that a good first impression makes versus seeing something for the second time in a polished state. I'm not hating on any particular game and yes, you can just wait for a couple of years until the v1.0 release happens, but it's definitely not the ideal situation.

But, I should say that I guess there'll be someone who says they like a drip feed of updates and improvements being added to a more bare bones experience. To each their own, I personally think that it's better for a product to be finished on day one. In recent times we've got used to games taking months or even years to reach maturity, I just don't personally think that's great.

Last edited:

Ginzeen

Banned

They never said that. They basically said crpgs don't normally get big budgets so don't expect them to have the same production as BG3.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If you don't care what anyone says, why did you make a thread on an internet message board where people who you don't care about will have opinions?

Have you said your piece and now clicked on 'ignore thread' ?

Think about your thread titles in future friend :)

Last edited:

Rykan

No problem with the list.

But it might as well be

Lord Of The Rings: Gollum
1-2 Switch
TOTK.

You can change the first two games to anything released or due to be released this year, because as long as one of the options is the game that will win then it doesn't really matter.

TOTK should and will win any objective list. Fanboys will champion various titles but if we're honest, there's nothing that can realistically challenge TOTK.
You should look up what the term objective means because it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Objectively, Baldur's Gate 3 currently holds the exact same critic score as TOTK. TOTK has a reasonable chance of winning, but saying that nothing can realistically challenge it is delusional.
Also, personally, I'd say it would be nice to recognize a game that wasn't in early access, or needed major updates over months or years to end up in the state that people would like their games to be in.
Well, personally, I'd say it would be nice to recognize a game that doesn't reuse more than half of its assets from the previous installment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom