• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why People 💩 on Well Reviewed Games

Which is the worst type?

• Total voters

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"Right kind of tribalism" isn't tribalism,
Mean Girls Halloween GIF

Forgive my indiscretion, the whole thing boggles the mind, you see. The very synapses that fire upon pondering the riddle "Why are games that get good reviews talked shit on?" are myriad, and overwhelming. One might think to one's (quite ignorant) self that if a game is getting shit talked on, it clearly isn't reviewing well, or, inversely, if a game is reviewing well, then there must not be a proportionally impactful amount of said poop emoji. I digress, it's clearly a matter of perception, you see. And each person's perception of or filter over things are invariably too diverse and too legion to reduce to three fully loaded poll choices.

Tl;dr: Ughhhh why are people allowed to have opinions that contradict the majority? It's totes the ick.

Spitfire098

If you were one of the people (not saying op is) that was hyping this game from the moon and back or claiming it was some generational type game, then you can't cry foul when the game isn't what you capped for and now people are trolling/hating on the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Mainstream outrager are the fucking worst.

My favorite band is the one you never heard off.

Gate keepers shit eaters and elitists nerds

GC_DALBEN

A lot of ppl dont know how to be happy, i think they dont know how to have fun in things (like gaming), i feel sorry honestly.

Sorry about my english

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
I think part of it is just backlash to all the big hyped up bs AAA nonsense we got over the years getting...15/10 MAJESTIC !!!

You'll be playing it forever and then pass the cum-stained disk to your children asking them to continue your adventures!!

That's how good it is !!

LOL....just fuck off

Last edited:

Phase

I think it's more that people have lost their standards and are just used to being shoveled shit. Yes, I'm calling Starfield shit, and it is. No novelty, bore epitomized, riding on the success of games of the past.

sainraja

Which is why that game isnt a 10/10 either. I have never in my life rated a game a perfect score because there is no such thing as a perfect game, yet. Streamers and most critics get payed to overrate things, streamers especially due to sponsored streams and making a ton of money.
I don’t think a 10/10 signifies a perfect game but regardless, we shouldn’t put so much weight on other people’s opinions. There are plenty of videos and footage of games now (and enough similarity between them) to get an idea of what we’re getting.

I personally don’t care how “big” a game is, or how big the “world“ of the game is. As long as it has a tight story and interesting characters with some good gameplay mixed in, I am good. Anyway, having said that, TOTK and BOTW are games that give players the freedom to do things their own way but even those games have a set of rules that we have to play by, that we can’t break.

It is a good thing we have a variety of games that we can play.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The worst is the first as you have those same people defend utter dogshit as well for their brand. See the first days of Redfall, utter wank positive comments here from these clowns for a game that was released objectively substandard. We all knew it was a disaster but tribal idiots claimed the opposite.

Enjoy the games and remember some criticism of a game you like may be valid. A critical post doesn't always have an ulterior motive.
Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

RespawnX

I mean, SonyGAF was discussing the whole weekend with itself while the world was playing Starfield. At some point some people played their premium upgrade for a few hours and came back to argue here that they have played the game.

Despite that I understand sone issues with Starfield in special. My wife can’t get into the game because how different exploration is.

I mean, SonyGAF was discussing the whole weekend with itself while the world was playing Starfield. At some point some people played their premium upgrade for a few hours and came back to argue here that they have played the game.

Despite that I understand sone issues with Starfield in special. My wife can’t get into the game because how different exploration is.
So some people play the game and dislike it and somehow that's "SonyGAF's" fault?

lol some people honestly...

What about the 745 threads open about Starfield in the month leading to the release? Was that also SonyGAF hyping this absolute mediocre game as the best thing ever?

Marvel14

Banned
No you're not. If you think you are, you should go back and reread your own post. I'll quote it for you:

Three different types, all worthy of your condescension -- the third "seeks to destroy," the second has "larger personal issues," and the first is an example of a misdirected "well-established part of human behavior," by which you apparently mean tribalism. Poor souls. Oh, and there's the fourth, who is talking about something besides videogames, and you "can only shake your head at." All condescending judgments.

I don't see any allowance for legitimate criticism, apart from the point where you edited your OP to incorporate feedback -- although you left everything else the same, including the intro (which makes no such distinction), all three types (making no distinction) and the quoted portion above (no distinctions).

If you think you adequately distinguished between legitimate criticism and trolling and/or console warrioring, you did not. If that was in your head somewhere, you did not do a good, clear job of communicating it. That is not how your OP reads. Why do you think you got all the backlash you did? Because "console warriors"?
#4 The Taste Differentiator....

Admittedly my initial post excluded it but I added it as soon as someone pointed it out.

DaGwaphics

Because a reviewer is just a person with an opinion and people have their own opinion that they value more or just as much?

fart town usa

Gold Member
If I dump on a well reviewed game it's usually because I didn't find the game to be anywhere near as good as some outlets make it out to be. The biggest motivator though is when people start trashing other games in order to prop up the title they're defending. I won't name the game but I was pretty active in a OT a few months ago being that guy in the thread.

I stand by everything I said. 🫠😅

Stuart360

A lot of console warring is involved if its an exclusive, but there are also people who genuinely believe a game isnt good unless it hits 90+ MC score.
Hell i have played and loved games in the 70's MC score, even in the 60's.

Too much politics and ulterior motives involved in reviews these days. Imo they are only useful to see if a game is a total turd, like a game getting say a 25 MC score from 100 revirews. Chances are that game sucks to high heaven.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Honestly?
All I've heard in this thread is "Fanboys" & "because it's exclusive"
I'll been through the review thread and I think the game reviewed well and to my expectations.
Now the majority of people saying it's disappointing are the same ones that was hyping it and are no way fanboys of another platform.
So maybe those people are just disappointed because they overhyped it.
So instead of blaming others you should just accept some people are disappointed.
Sure you'll get some comments from other console owners but the majority are generally disappointed Xbox owners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom