• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I introduced a co-worker to vaporwave and now he is addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifters

GAF,

I introduced a co-worker to vaporwave about 3 or 4 weeks ago and now he is addicted. Mind you, this is a guy who used to listen to the daily spotify lists of throwback thursdays and such.

I'm at a loss as to how much deeper the genre goes since I only found out about it maybe 8 weeks ago?

I'm sure there will be some drstrange.gif's in this thread but seriously, how do I feed his need? He's asking about new artists almost daily now.

(For reference, I started him out on Blank Banshee)

Simpsonswave got me interested though I've yet to actually explore the genre, partially because the subculture around it is so obnoxious.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Vaporwave, the shitty bastard child of chillwave.

It's like the washed up 80s pop star coke addict version whatever shit they play during the ads and lame trivia before the movie trailers start at the theater.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Dice

He calls the music he makes vaporware.
That's why we don't let one person make terms useless. "Vaporwave" is not a word for something really broad, like "hiphop" or something. If he wants to use a broad word he can say ambient, but making not-vaporwave and calling it vaporwave doesn't make you a genre-pusher it makes you clueless about how language works and/or how defined subgenres come to be recognized by musical parameters.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
That's why we don't let one person make terms useless. "Vaporwave" is not a word for something really broad, like "hiphop" or something. If he wants to use a broad word he can say ambient, but making not-vaporwave and calling it vaporwave doesn't make you a genre-pusher it makes you clueless about how language works and/or how defined subgenres come to be recognized by musical parameters.

So two vaporware musicians aren't actually vaporware musicians? Maybe your definition of vaporware isn't one that is reflective of what can be called vaporware.

Dice

So two vaporware musicians aren't actually vaporware musicians? Maybe your definition of vaporware isn't one that is reflective of what can be called vaporware.
If what they do is vaporwave then the genre has been active for 30 years and words are meaningless.

Dereck

Vaporwave is a primarily sample-based genre characterized by heavily synthesized and processed manipulation of corporate mood and background music (infomercials, menu screens, instructional videos, office lobbies, hotel reception areas, shopping malls, etc.), though it can include a multitude of genres (most commonly Pop, Contemporary R&B, Synth Funk, Smooth Jazz & Exotica). Vaporwave often consists of brief sketches altered by slowing down, looping, glitching, pitch-bending, and/or echoing a particular sound or sample in a compressed state, usually under reverberation.

Spawned from the derisory term 'Vaporware' (a software or hardware project that fails to be released to the public), Vaporwave alludes to a disconnection or separation from reality presented through its original form (heard by a song's manipulation vs. its original source). The sound results in a sacred, mystical, sultry, dreamy, hyper-real, and/or crystal-clear caricature of mass media from the late '80s, to the popularity of the home computer of the mid to late '90s, and onward.

Major artists include James Ferraro (with his release Far Side Virtual), Saint Pepsi, Internet Club, producer Daniel Lopatin under his pseudonyms Chuck Person and Oneohtrix Point Never (with Replica and R Plus Seven), and Ramona Andra Xavier under various names, the most well-known being 情報デスクVIRTUAL, Macintosh Plus and Vektroid.

https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/vaporwave

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If what they do is vaporwave then the genre has been active for 30 years and words are meaningless.

The people who made it call it vaporware and everyone in the comments went there because it's vaporware. Dunno what else to tell ya. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm genuinely interested in learning more about synthwave/vaporwave. I feel like my musical knowledge is lacking in this area. Hotline Miami introduced me to this sort of thing initially, so I'm already familiar with the artists in both titles.

I've been listening to this on Bandcamp and think it's pretty neat. I'm a fan of 80s synth, and it feels very much spired by songs like

"Theme From Midnight Express" by Giorgio Moroder.
"The Oh of Pleasure" by Jay Lynch.
"Oxygène (Part 4)" by Jean Michel Jarre.
"Crockett's Theme" by Jan Hammer.
"Moments in Love" by Art of Noise.
"Mammagamma" by The Alan Parsons Project.
"Love on a Real Train" by Tangerine Dream.
"Magic Fly" by Space.
"The Eve of War" by Jeff Wayne (Cut/Instrumental).
"Lucifer" by The Alan Parsons Project.
"Just Blue" by Space.
"Second Rendez-Vous" by Jean Michel Jarre.
"Running in the City" by Space.
"Roulette" by Future World Orchestra.
"Nothing to Fear" by Depeche Mode.
"Space Opera: Part 1" by Didier Marouani.

Anything that emulates this style has my attention.

Dice

The people who made it call it vaporware and everyone in the comments went there because it's vaporware. Dunno what else to tell ya. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Macintosh Plus is doing something legitimately specific and relatively new, enough to consider a subgenre, yet the ones you point out are just good ol ambient. If they are both to be considered in the same boat because the only actually intended defining characteristic is wherever they get their samples from, I'd argue that is not enough to define a subgenre but more like a pretentious ideology they use to create music along parameters that fit different existing subgenres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom