• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I introduced a co-worker to vaporwave and now he is addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

I know metal have a lot of silly sub genre stuff going on, but nothing is more silly than electronic music genres. A whole strange scene will develop around vaporwave and then 5 years from now no one will even remember what it was or be able to stand to listen to it.

electronic music (why aren't we calling it E-Music?) is weird man

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I know metal have a lot of silly sub genre stuff going on, but nothing is more silly than electronic music genres. A whole strange scene will develop around vaporwave and then 5 years from now no one will even remember what it was or be able to stand to listen to it.

You can say the exact same thing about country music, or any genre really. Every genre has a lot of sub-genres.

Meanwhile I think I'm becoming addicted to vaporwave and that Seinfeld track is amazing!

So basically exactly like metal? Or are people still listening to 'Pirate metal'.

sikkinixx

I'm confused but... I really like a lot of this. Very chill sounding music. The Seinfeld one is straight out of a Sim City game.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
No you really can't.

Yes, you can. Sorry.

Appalachian
Bluegrass
Cajun
Honky-tonk
Nashville
New country
Old-time
Traditional
Swing

... I could go on and on.

Or jazz? Acid, bebop, bossanova, chamber, cool, Dixieland... again, huge list of sub-genres. That's just from Googling.

Arkanius

Has he
(or you)
heard this gem?

TANUKI - BABYBABYの夢
giphy.gif

Holy shit this song is intoxicating.

So would Neon Indian be Chillwave or Vaporwave? Or neither?

I've always associated him with the former.

They were chillwave, but with "VEGA INTL.", I'd say he's gone synthpop, for the better. The best string of songs in 2015 was "Slumlord", "Slumlord's Re-Lease", and "Techno Clique."

And to everyone getting vaporwave confused with synthwave or 80s inspired electronic music, there is a difference. Early vaporwave e.g. in 2012 is focused a lot on slowing songs down and changing the beat behind them to make it seem you're in a haze. Nowadays, the tag is a bit more nebulous with microgenres such as vapor-trap or ambient vaporwave i.e. 2814's album. Future Funk is Vaporwave except the samples are from funk and disco instead of R&B and pop. Basically, vaporwave as it is is a micro-genre in electronic music and anything derivative of it is practically a nano-genre. However, since a lot of albums in the genre use elements from one nano-genre and apply it to another, this classification has gone to hell and back.

TL;DR: Vaporwave -> slowed down and remixed R&B jams and pop what not.
Future funk -> Slowed down and remixed funk and disco
But, this shit doesn't matter because it's all bullshit anyway. Just call it vaporwave and be done with it.

thenexus6

I have quite a bit i've bought from Bandcamp, I still don't get the genre though. The track names, album names, and art are just so random.

I have an album on Bandcamp called something like Wolfenstein OSX.exe and art is some random VHS anime character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom