• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I introduced a co-worker to vaporwave and now he is addicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It sounds like hold music.

But from the 80/90s!
Macintosh Plus is doing something legitimately specific and relatively new, enough to consider a subgenre, yet the ones you point out are just good ol ambient. If they are both to be considered in the same boat because the only actually intended defining characteristic is wherever they get their samples from, I'd argue that is not enough to define a subgenre but more like a pretentious ideology they use to create music along parameters that fit different existing subgenres.

I'd say it's much more pretentious for you to tell musicians that they're not actually what they believe they are.

Not really gonna continue arguing that something isn't vaporware enough for you, though, if you wanna believe that it isn't then be my guest.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
But from the 80/90s!
I'd say it's much more pretentious for you to tell musicians that they're not actually what they believe they are.
As I said, either something legitimately musically defined was created and some artists fit that new thing and some don't, or the definition of the new thing is actually just an ideology not really connected to what the music is doing enough to justify classifying oneself as a new subgenre.

If it is the latter, it is pretentious. Akin to acting like you invented a new writing style by using a specific font when you use already recognized writing styles. Or perhaps more closely, it's like pretending you have invented a new subgenre of rock by only using instruments from the 80s under certain brands, and what you make with them actually fits various other existing rock subgenres. Genres are defined by musical parameters or words have no meaning.

Has he
(or you)
heard this gem?

TANUKI - BABYBABYの夢
giphy.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
I also read it as Vaporware and imagined you'd got your co-worker addicted to sitting on Neogaf trying to make Half-Life 3 memes anytime a thread about Valve shows up

I'm genuinely interested in learning more about synthwave/vaporwave. I feel like my musical knowledge is lacking in this area. Hotline Miami introduced me to this sort of thing initially, so I'm already familiar with the artists in both titles.

Anything that emulates this style has my attention.

*sigh* vaporwave =/= synthwave. See this thread for all your good musical desires. http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=551396
Also, vaporwave is garbage.

EDIT: saw no replies to your post, also Space is amazing.

That 420 song MACINTOSH PLUS made is the peak of vaporwave. Other than that, vaporwave, sea punk, health goth, et al. have become the unfunny memes of electronic music. Vaporwave had its year. Now let it die before someone creates post-vaporwave.

It's all fun and games until you realise it's just slowed down 80s synthfunk and j-pop and the original songs are one thousand percent better. Vaporwave et all do work... as a (one note) statement on the mediocrity of modern pop, a hollow echo.

Spenny

I introduced my friend to Hatsune Miku. Now he has, like, 40 imported CD's and a shitload of Good Smile figures. I regret ever telling him about it.

Auctopus

Simpsonswave got me interested though I've yet to actually explore the genre, partially because the subculture around it is so obnoxious.

I think it's cause it's just massively Hipster. I feel like it's following a second wave of Simpsons fans, people who didn't grow up with Seasons 2-12 that are now discovering them. The underlying music is mainly sub-par Hotline Miami tracks or just random noise with some Simpson quotes thrown in. It's obnoxious because the sub-culture acts like there's some secret meaning only known to hard-core fans when all it comes across as "Isn't Simpsons cool?" which is fine, I guess.

Fuchsdh

That's why we don't let one person make terms useless. "Vaporwave" is not a word for something really broad, like "hiphop" or something. If he wants to use a broad word he can say ambient, but making not-vaporwave and calling it vaporwave doesn't make you a genre-pusher it makes you clueless about how language works and/or how defined subgenres come to be recognized by musical parameters.

Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of these ultra-niche musical subgenera are defined by bullshit distinctions anyhow, and they get named by bands or critics who want to say they've come up with a new sound.

So Vaporware is basically "What if we kept making music on the Sega Genesis"?

More like "What if i forget to put new batteries in both of my cassette recorders and try to play two different "Now That's What I Call Music" compilations :)

Genesis stuff is under "Chip Tunes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom