• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I liked Dragon's Dogma PC better than Dark Souls 3 this year

Ryuuga

Banned
They're definitely different beasts, but based on the amount of time I put (and am willing to) into both I'd wholeheartedly agree.

Adaren

And the character creator in the game is absolutely amazing.

Absolutely agreed. It's possible to make a wide variety of characters that all look mostly normal. It manages to find a balance between having options, and not having to get OCD about the 1-255 slider for glabella depth.

I managed to make good looking characters in DS1, DS2, and BB, but couldn't never got a character I was happy with in DS3. The faces always end up looking drastically different between the character creator and gameplay; something about the lighting on the eyes.

My DD character, by comparison, looks exactly how I want him to, and was effortless to create.

Dolobill

I'm very early in the game, but I've been finding the combat to be a drag. Long, drawn out, grindy boss fights that play more like Monster Hunter (which is not something I'm into).

pablito

I love the game a whole bunch, but acting like it is an overall higher quality game than the souls games, I'm not sure.

Well if you reduce the games to being all about the GAMEPLAY like I've seen some people do here, then it makes it easier to make statements like that. I personally think DDs combat is a bit more "fun," but for me there's more to the games than just the combat.

I wish you guys all the best and hope DD2 will become a thing cause clearly people love the game but I found it to be one of the most boring, soulless and stale experiences I've had this year (in gaming)

For me it's about the small details. Like that short characters have smaller reach, their lantern hanging at their hip will get doused in relatively shallow water that a taller character can easily move through, their lighter weight will directly impact gameplay mechanics like carrying and grappling. I made a character that was probably around 5 foot and ended up being a severe drawback when I switched her from archer to Mystic Knight -- but that just made it more cool to me. Working about my character's physical limitations was super immersive.

Stuff like a close battle with a cyclops ending because I managed to blind him and get him to stumble off a ledge to his death. Double jumping into a air dash attack to carry me a far distance and knock a skeleton archer down to where my pawns can get him. Having my pawn launch me into the air where I grab a harpy, only to realize it's heavier than me and carries me to my death. The depth of combat to me is really fun, and having so much mobility lends itself to exploration which is rewarded.

Syril

I didn't like that you had to assign your moves to slots and that you to visit an NPC to change them. The movesets ended up feeling kind of shallow.

Well if you reduce the games to being all about the GAMEPLAY like I've seen some people do here, then it makes it easier to make statements like that. I personally think DDs combat is a bit more "fun," but for me there's more to the games than just the combat.

Agreed. I actually like DS combat a whole bunch too, but I'd still argue that DD combat is "better" (whatever that means) and is agreeably, more fun.

I just think the game is a little bit of a mess outside of the core gameplay mechanics and character creator.

Eidan

DD really doesn't get enough credit. It's not perfect by any means, but it's another example of really great Japanese game design we don't get a lot these days.
Really? If anything I think its glaring flaws are too commonly overlooked because people like jumping on big monsters. The combat is fairly simple and repetitive with little strategy needed outside of grinding to appropriate levels to actually deal damage against enemies. The world is both small and lacking in any creativity or detail. And the plot is...well, an acquired taste.

Athreous

But they are different games... Dark Souls is kind unique... Dragon's Dogma is a Monster Hunter copy =p well kind of :D

I didn't like that you had to assign your moves to slots and that you to visit an NPC to change them. The movesets ended up feeling kind of shallow.

Yea I didn't like it either. Combat just doesn't feel right to me in this game, especially with no dodge move. Also hated the stamina system. Might come back to it someday but to me the Souls games are just on another planet as far as gameplay mechanics go. DD feels kinda like shit in comparison.

But they are different games... Dark Souls is kind unique... Dragon's Dogma is a Monster Hunter copy =p well kind of :D

If it was a MH copy it would have actually been good tho.

Eidan

Joseph Anderson had a breakdown of DD that most aligned with my thoughts on the game, though as harshly as he criticized it, I can still say he probably liked it more than I did. DD is one of those rare games where every time I revisit it, its problem become more and more unbearable.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=I0HmIls_D70

Really? If anything I think its glaring flaws are too commonly overlooked because people like jumping on big monsters. The combat is fairly simple and repetitive with little strategy needed outside of grinding to appropriate levels to actually deal damage against enemies. The world is both small and lacking in any creativity or detail. And the plot is...well, an acquired taste.

I'm with you on this. I consider DD a bit of a rough diamond. Totally agree that the world feels smaller than it initially seems to be, mainly because you are funnelled along the same roads, past the same enemies, whenever you want to go anywhere. It got old really fast, especially because you can't just run because of the stamina mechanic.

DS3 is a much more consistent experience, although I don't really rate it highly against the other games in the Souls family.

bede-x

I understand the game didn't quite garner that much attention with its console release because the performance was supposedly bad

It's actually really good on console as well, despite performance issues. There were two games - Dragon's Dogma and Earth Defense Force - I really wanted on Steam and we got them both this year. Spent more than a hundred hours on Steam DD, knowing full well that I'll return to it again in the future and I already spent 200+ hours on the 360 version. It just does so much more right than it does wrong, felling completely unique with a wonderful Japanese take on western RPGs, I cannot fathom why it wasn't more universally loved.

Now if only Steam players would discover Earth Defense Force 4.1 next, much more would be right in the world :)

Phionoxx

Hope that some day we get a sequel that builds off what they did with BBI as that was outstanding. Base game was great as well, but BBI really gave it legs and still makes for enjoyable repeat trips through just to experience more of the combat.

Sotha_Sil

DD had some incredible boss battles and made some of the best movesets for the different classes, but I think they need to go back to the drawing board on just about every other aspect of game design. It was a respectable first attempt at the genre, and I'd like to see another.

And Dragon's Dogma is only the FIRST in the series. So even with all it's flaws it's so freaking good and fun to play.

Imagine how godlike the sequel will be, if ever made and they add more stuff and iron out the flaws from the previous game. This series has potential to be among the top. (Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls etc.)

Maxim726X

I really have to get around to playing this, huh.

It's installed and ready to go, stopped playing after messing around with it for like 5 minutes.

eXistor

Sure, Dragon's Dogma is pretty damn special. I love DSIII as well, but it's "just" another Dark Souls. A true DD sequel is one of my most wanted games of all time.

Atolm

I spent 120 hours with it on the PS3 and around 88 last month on PC, this time getting EVERYTHING from BBI, lvl200 and so on.

Tbh I think Dark Souls 3 is a better game. But Dragon's Dogma is so damn addicting...

friz898

Bought it, ran like crap on my pc, refunded it.

What were your settings? I have a (now) mid-tier comp with a i5 2300k, Geforce 570, and 16gig ram.

Thinking about buying it on Steam since when I owned it on PS3 it ran crappy and a PS4 release seems to still be at soonest, next Summer or holiday.

Raybunny

As an avid Dark Souls, Demon Souls and Bloodborne lover might pick this one and leave my FF quest on the side for a while.

z1ggy

Combat was great but characters, world, story and such were pretty bad. Travelling was a pain in the ass.

Wish we could get a sequel fixing these issues. Maybe a smaller world with a better design could be great.

Moff

DD is one of the big disappointments of the year for me, I never played an RPG with such a boring world, and that's very important to me.

DS3 was god tier

Laiza

It isn't a big achievement to be better than DS3.

DD is ok, I guess
Haha, yes. That's my view on the title as well.

I actually think DD is better than OK, but DS3 has been such a massive disappointment for me that it really wouldn't take much for me to rate a game higher than it. Too many references to DS1, too linear, too many annoyingly aggressive enemies and too many weapons that are ineffective against those enemies, so on and so forth. Best thing I can say about it is that it feels good to play if you pick the right weapon(s), but if you make the wrong choices the entire game is a bloody slog to play through, something that wasn't really the case in 2 (1 is another matter). Also, it's pretty, but that's to be expected in 2016.

Dragon's Dogma just gets so many things right that it's hard for me to fault it for the things it doesn't. The core gameplay is right at the forefront of the game's design, which tons of variety in the ways you can approach any given encounter. So many armor pieces to mix and match with the layered clothing system, on top of the character creation being over-the-top awesome. The fervent reverence with which they recreate classical monsters, giving it this feel of being a genuine D&D action RPG. It just feels so good to actually play (particularly once you get your portcrystals down and you're just zooming in and out of encounters) that I don't even mind the threadbare story or the fact that I'm killing the same monsters for the dozenth time.

It's still bothering me that its sales are not as high as they should be for a game of its quality. I would hope it would get DS1 equivalent sales at least. We need a sequel, dammit!

Eidan

I'm considering this thread more, and I'm struggling to think of ANYTHING I think Dragon's Dogma did better than Dark Souls 3. Combat is worse. Art design is worse. Story is worse. Music is worse. Writing's worse...yeesh.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Dragon's Dogma is good. But if OP is judging both games on how fun they are to play, then I have to give the nod to Dark Souls 3.

Wavebossa

Ok, I keep seeing DD threads (or DD mentioned heavily in a thread) as of late.
You guys are relentless with your praise, it must really be all that.

I'm buying it the next time it goes on any kind of sale.

You have convinced me GAF

Carlius

Banned
i could not get into DD. I sohuld give it another try, but i got too obsessed with finding a good ENB that i never had the time to actually play it.

ill try it again.

SkylineRKR

DD is great but I call it unplayable on consoles. I don't have a PC so I never really played it as much as I like. I did play DD Online on PS4 and loved it.

I hoped for DD Remastered.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My only real issue is that Dragon's Dogma becomes a total cakewalk just a few hours in. The dread of skulking about at night in the very early hours is completely shot once you are able to pretty much decimate everything with ease after a few skill points and levels gained.

I never played the Dark Arisen expansion though, which I hear can be brutal, so one day I'll revisit and try that. But vanilla on 360 left me wanting for a more balanced experience given how superb the combat system felt.

Top Bottom