• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss being blown away by new-gen graphics....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Unless PCs and consoles get off their ass and implement Nvidia marbles type of stuff into an actual game (not a canned demo on a PC even hardcore PC gamers dont even have), we're not getting much better visuals anytime soon. Maybe next gen or when those crazy Nvidia RTX5000 gpus become standard we'll get noticeably better visuals.

Best chance is that devs focus more resources on physics engines like more games with Frostbite destruction. So crazy environmental effects spread to more games aside from some shooters.

So more about explosions and crumbled environments vs. textures and RT puddle reflections.

Last edited:

Type_Raver

I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.
No Lies detected.

I think Ratchet and Clank is the beginning of what to expect from next gen, and it will take time to get more quality examples. Apparently we wont really see playable examples of UE5 for at least another 2+ years.
In the mean time, Microsoft and Sony will continue to try and sell us on rehashed titles featuring improved frame rate - filler content.

We want to see new worlds, creativity that the power of next gen provides; not past experiences with frame rate improvements.

I haven’t been blown away since the reveal of Battlefield 3. Everything since then has looked progressively better, but that was truly earth-shattering.

The OP is right. Im not gonna say todays graphics are not impressive but they are but on a much smaller scale. We will never see massive jumps like back in the day: Quake 1 - Quake 3 (in two years only), Unreal, ME1, Bioshock, Farcry etc. We literally went from 100.000 polygon characters to 2.000.000.

//DEVIL//

I agree the last time I was impressed with a next-gen game was around the same period as the OP. if anything I even took photo mode in infamous second son. there was a nice thread about it and one of the photos posted here was my wallpaper for a long time.

Killzone, Drive Club (especially the gifs that used to be posted here ) . all were really next-gen stuff.

Now both Sony and MS making games in 2021 that still use the ps4 / Xbox one ( a 7 years old CPU / GPU ) as a starting base on their upcoming games.

Sony and MS are the ultimate proof of why the PC is and will always be the best gaming platform. these companies are either happy about game boost / some backward compatibility / or in sony's case unlocking frames on some titles they released on PS4.

This shit PC gamers can do on all games since the dawn of time plus much more. No wonder why PC gaming is rising among the new generation of kids more than consoles.

it's really surprising how both Sony and MS are flat out blind to the fact that these next-gen soon will tank in sales ( once the hardcore gamers buy these systems and become actually available in the market ).

One company Halo, the biggest IP they ever had.. on an Xbox One S, this is supposed to be the ultimate visual showcase of the XSX power. The other is Sony releasing HZD2 on PS4... a Fall 2021 /2022 game..... on a friggin 7 years old console.... like GTFO of here. I own both consoles but I really hope both just flat-out fail in sales so they fire the idiots behind these approvals.

You need a proper next-gen game to sell your next-gen system. Period.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
honestly cyberpunk 2077 on a 3080 and a LG CX blew my fucking mind

not like mario 64 for the first time or anything but i felt that game in my undercarriage for like the first 10 hours or so

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last time I was blown away by visuals where it then leveled off is the 360/PS3 days. No doubt games look better now and most games are even 60 fps, but there was a big jump going from PS2/Xbox/GC to 360/PS3.

But the jump to Xbox One/PS4 and then again to now, the wow factor isn't big.

Maybe in 10 years: Nvidia marble visuals + Frostbite destruction + 8k + 60 fps will be a wow threshold.

But right now I don't see it.

What a dumb thing to say.

The fact that you no longer get wowed or amazed by games so far is because you're expecting a huge leap on the first year of a new generation of gaming which - let's be honest - games are taking much longer to be made with a lot more resources required.

I'd say the fact that it no longer wows is a good thing, because it shows that you're now living your childhood dreams of playing 16 bit era games but imagining it with 4K graphics.

Dream has become reality.

Thats where we're at now.

If you're not impressed, and cant be wowed anymore, it's probably because you didnt grow up playing games when graphics were shit, and just lack of awareness to understand that what you want to feel with each new game requires time, money, and patience.

I suggest you go watch the new season of Death, Love & Robots and see what the future of gaming could look like in the future.

That to me, is my new dream and hope for the future of gaming graphics.
But he’s partly right. And you’re partly right. Growing up with N64 and such - graphics have been impressive for a long time now. Late PS3 onwards really graphics have been impressive enough for me by and large, and the limitations games used to have isn’t nearly as noticeable. But that also means we haven’t seen that gigantic leap like when you first saw a ps2 game in a long time - or when you first saw half life 2 or doom 3. I personally feel the next step is really crazy physics and fluid simulation stuff and ray tracing - but I have no idea when all of that will be in a single game or if it’ll even come in this generation or the next or the next, graphics keep getting better and more detailed and faster etc but they seem iterative instead of like a “leap”.

Last edited:

skit_data

Diminishing returns are a bitch

uYakw9P.jpg

I wasn’t ”blown away” by last gen either at first, but looking back at the gen there are definitely experiences that were made better as a whole. I think the biggest leap in the coming years will be among smaller developers, the lower bound will be raised significantly.

Last edited:

Neo_game

I would love to see a game with 1440P 30fps with a option of 60fps exclusively for these newer consoles. Rift apart is very impressive and this is very early in the gen. RE8 4K CB was also praised so devs should not bother with 4K and keep something in middle to push gfx fidelity.

Last edited:
stop complaining. we have 60fps games at or near 4k with amazing visuals. we have improved vr to look forward to aswell. what more do you want?

longdi

Banned

uYakw9P.jpg

I wasn’t ”blown away” by last gen either at first, but looking back at the gen there are definitely experiences that were made better as a whole. I think the biggest leap in the coming years will be among smaller developers, the lower bound will be raised significantly.

this pict is not diminishing returns.

All 4 bust looks better with more triangles.

next up is 1 triangle per pixel tech that is coming with UE5 and engines that makes use of next gen SSD I/O

Bankai

If you don't have an eye for detail, I imagine it doesn't look so much better than the previous generation.

ZehDon

Gold Member

uYakw9P.jpg

*sigh*
This image gets posted every time this topic comes up, and I've grown tired of how utterly disconnected from reality it is. In a world of compute shaders, image reconstruction, ray tracing, and asset streaming, using polygonal detail as any kind of benchmark for graphical improvements is laughably out of touch.

The jump from Assassins Creed: Black Flag from the launch of the PS4, to the UE5 demo that Epic put together, is a massive, massive leap forward in visual fidelity. This gen is just getting started.
black-flag-gameplay.jpg

UE5-demo3.jpg

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
For me the 60fps is the real next gen bump I needed to consider it such. It took so many years to get there... finally.

longdi

Banned
*sigh*
This image gets posted every time this topic comes up, and I've grown tired of how utterly disconnected from reality it is. In a world of compute shaders, image reconstruction, ray tracing, and asset streaming, using polygonal detail as any kind of benchmark for graphical improvements is laughably out of touch.

The jump from Assassins Creed: Black Flag from the launch of the PS4, to the UE5 demo that Epic put together, is a massive, massive leap forward in visual fidelity. This gen is just getting started.
black-flag-gameplay.jpg

UE5-demo3.jpg

I wonder if UE5 micropolygon tech for consoles, will be limited in multiple textures.
Seems they chose a sandy location to hide texturing limitations?

Of course PC wont be limited.
micropolygon + path-tracing RTX = next gen look OP is yearning for. :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

skit_data

*sigh*

black-flag-gameplay.jpg

UE5-demo3.jpg
You’re probably right, its a pretty tired picture at this point but I still think it holds some value to get across the idea of diminishing returns. Everytime we inch closer to photorealism it takes exponentially more detail and accuracy to give the impression of actual photorealism upon closer inspection.

Of course it’s a giant leap, and I didn’t actually mean that polygonal detail is the one and only thing.

Last edited:

kungfuian

Maybe I'm just easily impressed but the jumps with each new piece of hardware are still pretty mind blowing to me.

The beginning of last gen it was Drive Club (holy shit in particular at that rain on the windshield!), Killzone, and Second Son (the PBR and neon effects were just nuts).

Jump forward to 2016 and my first Vive and that was even more crazy. How can you not be blown away by being in the game worlds! And what it does for old school games, oh boy. Wind Waker in Dolphin VR is freaking incredible. VR might be in it's early stages but it's some mind blowing shit! Freaking sorcery if you ask me.

And most recently Demons Souls on PS5 made me feel the same way. Had a huge stupid grin on my face the whole damned time (when I wasn't getting my ass kicked). It's totally mind blowing we get this deep sprawling RPG with such a ridiculous level of detail and geometric density day one; and it runs like a dream!

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with the OP on this one.

Oh lovely. Another dumb bitching graphics thread when the new gen is only 6 months in and actual 1st party titles have yet to come out.

Learn to have some fucking patience. It's always like this during a new generation start. You won't see true next gen until 2023.

Quite. It's also like people think amazing looking games were ready at launch for quite a lot of systems that people love to praise. PS2 on its launch in Japan had RRV to show off, which hardly outdid anything on the DC and its major 1st party game from SONY was Fantavison :messenger_tears_of_joy: you had to wait a year in for the likes of ICO and SH2 to show off the hardware. DC had VF3TB and Pen Pen to show off its hardware. The Mega Drive had the wonders of Super ThunderBlade Space Harrier 2 to show off its hardware and with the 360 you basically had PGR3 to show off that amazing chipset.

I think some people need to stop bitching on here and also buy a new TV. I'm quite impressed with the next-gen already but you need a quality TV to truly experience it and I never played games so much. The lack of loading and with systems being so quiet its like the 16 bit days all over again and I gamed so much since those days My Series X is in constant use when I'm not at work

Kagey K

Banned
The PS4 pro and One X fucked it up. I called it shortly after they launched.

If the base models were the only models we'd be impressed. But 4k HDR on last gen games made this gen feel iterative.

Even though it hasn't even really got started yet.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Bruh

3080 won't have enough VRAM to hold those gorgeous, amazingly high detailed UE5 textures. If you really think it can, you're kidding yourself.

It has more "grunt", but it will lack big time when the actual nextgen games come along.
You haven't the slightest clue about what you're talking about.
better visuals at 30 fps >>> 60/120fps with PS4 graphics
This is why PC doesn't compete with consoles.
Have you played Demon's Souls?
Not watched, PLAYED.
To be fair, it looks like DS3 on PC.
OP is either trolling or hasn't seen Demon Souls on PS5. I personally don't own a PS5 yet but Demon Souls on my friends LG Oled sold me next gen.
Next gen started in 2016?

(Yes but with VR).
I hate this obsession about 60fps. People would choose a Super Mario 64-looking game over 30fps, and I think that's dumb.
Also, the fact that there are so many cross gen games is making the hype for PS5 games die a little. Hopefully, Sony announces more PS5 only games starting this E3 season (if they do something).
Maybe because the sacrifice of 30fps was only to get sub $300 machines in 1996 to display advanced 3d graphics. This isn't the case anymore.

I do think people are placing too much of an emphasis on graphics. Games can look amazing, but when they're stale "cinematic " games (Sony), generic FPS (Activision), rebranded sports (EA), or ray tracing a 3d snes game (Microsoft), what is the point? We need fun games, but as games get bigger, more expensive, and slower to come out...

If I can get as much enjoyment just watching someone play a game on the internet as I would actually playing it, then the game sucks and it should just be a movie.

reksveks

The gameplay snippets in the trailers looked pretty good graphically, but maybe you are talking about the gameplay part.
Yeah, talking about the LOD drops that they might have to do during gameplay but think it's rather irrelevant. The art style is typically what makes a game look great to me and that they got the right idea here. I personally hope that they have figured out the scope of the game correctly and it's not too long so the quality doesn't drop given the size of the team.

ZywyPL

Banned
I don't. The games already look good enough for quite some time (unless they are aiming for photo-realism and hit the uncanny valley as a result), I'm more concerned about the artstyle, animations, physics/interactions, sound design, AI, those are the aspects that have been seriously lacking in the past 10-15 years and there's still a lot of space for improvements here. The last time I had been seriously impressed with the presentation was in 2009 with Killzone 2, but like I said, it wasn't just the graphics, but the combination of styling, animations, physics and sound design, since then I haven't seen a game that'a such a complete, balanced package, where every single aspect s absolutely top-notch.

Now fast forward to today and CP2077 for example - despite multiple RT effects at once, great PBR etc. and indeed looking absolutely astonishing, doesn't tick all the checkboxes, there are barely any physics/interactions since it's made to run on PS4/XB1, the crowds behavior/animations looks grotesque, and so on, it's great on static screens but when you actually play the game the impression fades away really quickly.

And I don't expect to bo wowed anytime soon since the games released in the next 2-3 years will be also made with PS4/XB1 in mind, that Jaguar CPU has really set us back to the stone age, but even the next-gen only games so far don't do the job, they're just better looking last-gen games, that's all.

I miss the early days of PS4 when they showcased Killzone Shadowfall, DriveClub, The Order 1886, Infamous Second Son, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Part 2... etc.

Every time they showed something for the PS4, I was floored at how good it all looked.

Now-a-days though it's like... HEY IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A PS4 GAME BUT IT HAS 60FPS!!!! WOW 60FPS! SO NEXT GEN!

I'm so sick of it.

The last time I was blown away by something for the PS5, was when they showed off UE5. That's pretty much it. Everything else just looks like last gen stuff with some extra detail and 4K resolution.

I must confess though, I've stayed away from any videos or screenshots of Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart because I wanna go in with fresh eyes. Hopefully this is the game that really makes me think "Man, now this is what next gen can really do"

What are your thoughts? Is 60fps enough to call it "next gen" or do you really wanna see that graphical leap we've come to expect each new generation even if it has to be 30fps.

If a game looks as good as UE5 demo, I'll gladly play it at 30fps.
Yea man I fell ya. I remember seeing that Driveclub trailer and just being so fucking wowed, literally nothing has done that this gen, not a single game has any wow factor.

FPS fanatic's get fucked I want spectacle lol.

mxbison

Cyberpunk on a high-end PC definitely has some mindblowing visuals. It just gets dragged down quite a bit by all the bugs and missing/broken features.

Consoles are pretty much just running last-gen games on new hardware right now, so 60fps and reduced loading times is all they can market. I'm sure we'll get some truly next-gen looking stuff next year. But yeah, the transition was pretty boring.

You might want to get a Quest 2 if you haven't tried that out, can always send it back if you don't like it. The depth perception is an absolute game changer.

kevm3

I think the biggest benefits this gen will be lighting, animation and just in creating a livelier, more dynamic world, which is hard to capture in static screenshots or even in short video clips

phil_t98

#SonyToo
its always the start of a gen when its like this, in a couple of years when we have played with XSX or PS5 go back and play ps4 xobxone games and you see a difference. I remember not being blown away at the start of last gen by the upgraded visuals but can you imagine god of war or Spiderman on ps3? no way could that gen produce those level of graphics with the smoothness of gameplay to

Last edited:

GymWolf

Diminishing returns: the thread. There is a limit to how good a game can look and PS4 was brutal:
bJK86v82MEBmbyfCMMJcKJ.jpg

TheOrder1886-311.jpg

DWx9Des6jwQQr6uAJBsXu8-720-80.jpg
Bullshit narrative when we are still light years away from top notch movies tier cg.

We can talk again when videogames are gonna look like modern star wars or avengers movies, not before.

We still have gigantic leaps to do before calling for diminishing returns unless you only watch still frame pics of cutscenes.

Sure ellie can look almost life like in certain selected screens, but you just have to look at the gameplay to see how much gamey these games still looks, from animations to physics to lack of interaction to illumination to low res textures etc.

We are not near the limit of real time graphics on console.

This stuff is like 10-20 years away from being massively implemented in videogames and this is just ONE single part of the graphic, i guess you can understand how naive it sound when people think that we are close to peak realism in videogames graphics...

What people call diminishing return is simply lack of power.

Last edited:

cireza

Good. If we have finally reached a point where visuals can hardly be improved, then the focus will switch back to making creative games as a differentiating factor, and it will lead to better and more varied games.

Last edited:

Daymos

Good. If we have finally reached a point where visuals can hardly be improved, then the focus will switch back to making creative games as a differentiating factor, and it will lead to better and more varied games.

Yeah right, I wish! We might get tiny indie games that do this but the big publishers won't. We will see high priced graphically beautiful games that are the same as modern movies.. the games will focus on social justice agendas or be made for children with talking animals, or have uber aggressive men with guns.. pretty much sums up modern cinema and playstation.

Allandor

*sigh*

black-flag-gameplay.jpg

UE5-demo3.jpg
are you comparing a Tech demo with an actual game?

Put last of us 2 next to the UE5 demo and it won't look that much better, but that is still a game vs tech-demo where they always want to show the scene in the "best light" possible.

Even with the PS360 era we reached a level where most people just won't see that much difference. The picture quality is good enough to convince people from the games world. Everything can be recognized, even smaller detail. With the PS4 & xb1 gen the game worlds were even a bit more refined. E.g. on PS2 your brain had often problem to recognize things just because there were so low poly (and even worse on PS1).

The really big jumps are over. Even RT got faked quite good (good enough for most of us) and won't make that much of a difference. It adds more or less just even smaller details to the world.
Btw, the UE5 demo is exactly showing that as it doesn't use RT for anything but has still convincing enough shadow and light conditions.

Same applies to Ratchet & Clank. If they hadn't done the fast traversal, it wouldn't look that much better than the last R&C game. Still looks great, but it isn't such a big jump because the last one already looks great (the good enough thing again ;) ).

Tschumi

You can be blasé about some things, Rose, but not about Titanic.

(What I'm saying, you see, is that these games do look great, you've just grown 7 years older and developed a relatively changed personality, more so for older consoles.)

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

uYakw9P.jpg

in last gen was definitly big jump from the beggining with Ryse, Killzone and year later Unity and Driveclub

Radical_3d

Bullshit narrative when we are still light years away from top notch movies tier cg.

We can talk again when videogames are gonna look like modern star wars or avengers movies, not before.
I call BS on your narrative.
snoke-last-jedi.jpeg

vs
3649890-3400568-screen%20shot%202018-06-12%20at%209.12.20%20am.jpg

I think we can already talk since today movies rush SFX and end with worse results than 20 years old Jurassic Park.

ZehDon

Gold Member
are you comparing a Tech demo with an actual game?

Put last of us 2 next to the UE5 demo and it won't look that much better, but that is still a game vs tech-demo where they always want to show the scene in the "best light" possible.

Even with the PS360 era we reached a level where most people just won't see that much difference. The picture quality is good enough to convince people from the games world. Everything can be recognized, even smaller detail. With the PS4 & xb1 gen the game worlds were even a bit more refined. E.g. on PS2 your brain had often problem to recognize things just because there were so low poly (and even worse on PS1).

The really big jumps are over. Even RT got faked quite good (good enough for most of us) and won't make that much of a difference. It adds more or less just even smaller details to the world.
Btw, the UE5 demo is exactly showing that as it doesn't use RT for anything but has still convincing enough shadow and light conditions.

Same applies to Ratchet & Clank. If they hadn't done the fast traversal, it wouldn't look that much better than the last R&C game. Still looks great, but it isn't such a big jump because the last one already looks great (the good enough thing again ;) ).
What a terrible post.

I'm comparing a AAA title that launched the previous generation with an example of current technology to show that polygonal detail isn't the be-all-end-all. We're way passed geometry, and we're now into lighting and movement.

Next, the PS360 era never reach a level undetectable difference:
70b8df2e6dc0bcf0540f792c4d1cd873-1200-80.jpg

Here's a PS4 launch title, Killzone Shadow Fall:
killzone-shadow-fall-ps4-3.jpg

The overall jump in lighting, texture resolution, object complexity and material quality alone provides an immediately noticeable improvement. And this isn't even the best looking game of its generation. The jump in polygonal counts helped, but it's really the rendering pipeline - materials, shaders, and ligthting - that elevates this image into real "next gen" territory. Claiming that this is largely indistinguishable from the previous generation is just plain dumb.

The UE5 Demo does use ray-tracing; it's a technology called Lumen and its software based dynamic global illumination solution that employs the use of bounce accumulation to achieve its effect. You're misunderstanding "ray tracing" and "hardware accelerated ray tracing". Ray tracing in games has existed for decades; it's used to determine what objects the player is shooting, what objects can "see" another, audio positioning, and much more. You really shouldn't bullshit about things you clearly know nothing about.

Saying that "most people" thinks things look "good enough" is lazy-person speak for "I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll just bullshit". Why bother posting this? The fact that people are buying new consoles in record numbers should tell you that no one thinks things look "good enough" because we're clamouring for new hardware that will improve the visual fidelity of the games we play. Offering higher resolutions for backwards compatible games, for example, if a major selling point for Microsoft's new machine. If most people thought the PS360 era looked "good enough", it couldn't be a selling point to make them look better, now could it?

Here's a game that exceeded the limits of the previous generation:
Cyberpunk-2077-new-screenshots-August-2020-1.jpg

This is where things are at the start of this generation. Imagine where they'll be by the end of it.

KAL2006

Banned
I think the best example is to use is an exclusive game made for next gen and compare it to a game from the same.franchise from last gen.

We already have that example.

Ratchet and Clank PS4 Vs Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart.

Yes Rift Apart is graphically superior. Better polys, better detail, more particle effects, better lighting and instant loading. However Ratchet and Clank on PS4 to this day still looks great. It's not just about next gen being better but last gen being good enough to this day. When I compare both Ratchet games of course I can see Rift Apart is graphically superior but to me the gap isn't how it used to be.

Now let's compare a PS4 game go a PS3 game. inFanous Second Son was a launch window title, if you compare that to inFamous 2 the difference is significant and just blew me away. The draw distance improvement, less jaggy, better lighting and crazy particle effects, it just felt like a massive leap compared to the previous game.

Another example Killzone Shadowfall which was a launch game compared to Killzone 3 was massive.

So this excuse of well its launch period and we should wait didn't count for the previous gen. We have our exclusive games to compare which is Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. So the cross gen excuse isn't there.

Top Bottom