• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was told to 'kill myself with a gun' tonight while playing Rocket League

Zakalwe

Banned
this isnt helpful, and the whole debate about whether or not its bullying seems to be kind of pointless.

calling it "banter", or accusing people of being overly sensitive is undeniably downplaying it.

The last page then, just read that and you'll find what you're looking for.

Obviously the drive-by thoughtless "it's just banter" posts are worthless. These comments /can/ be very harmful and should definitely be addressed head-on.

Trup1aya

Pretty sad that I've become immune to this type of language online.

My first thought was, "that's pretty mild OP, is it threadworthy."

But of course, it's a symptom of the toxicity that has become part of online gaming culture. If everyone got serious about capturing evidence and reporting abusers, maybe people would learn to tone it down, but I fear most people (like me) are too numb to do anything in most cases.

I'll try to be more active on that front going forward

Budi

So I don't mind that much when people start flaming with words like noob, scrub, you suck etc. I mean, that's unpleasant and unnecessary and that person is an asshole. It serves no purpose. But racist, transphobic and misogynistic behaviour crosses the line. Also those "kill yourself" "I hope you get cancer" etc. remarks. And behaviour like this should be punished by the devs. And people who get so riled up in a game, or get some kind of satisfaction from this should get help. It's not normal and healthy behaviour.

I don't really understand why this gets so much defense and downplaying here. Can't think anything but it's those people who partake in this themselves. And just because it happens often and has happened for a long time, doesn't mean it's okay. More like it's finally time to do something about it. If you aren't bothered by it, then good for you. But don't think that nobody else should be.

So I don't mind that much when people start flaming with words like noob, scrub, you suck etc. I mean, that's unpleasant and unnecessary and that person is an asshole. It serves no purpose. But racist, transphobic and misogynistic behaviour crosses the line. Also those "kill yourself" "I hope you get cancer" etc. remarks. And behaviour like this should be punished by the devs. And people who get so riled up in a game, or get some kind of satisfaction from this should get help. It's not normal and healthy behaviour.

I don't really understand why this gets so much defense and downplaying here. Can't think anything but it's those people who partake in this themselves. And just because it happens often and has happened for a long time, doesn't mean it's okay. More like it's finally time to do something about it. If you aren't bothered by it, then good for you. But don't think that nobody else should be.

Who defended it?

Zakalwe

Banned

I don't really understand why this gets so much defense and downplaying here. Can't think anything but it's those people who partake in this themselves.

I think many people are desensitised to it more than they're partaking (even if their apathy does help enable it sometimes), the "you can block it and ignore it" comments have value to a degree, but they don't consider the times this happens when a single comment could have a significant negative impact.

A lot of people can ignore it or laugh it off, a lot of people can't. The fact the second group exist means we need to challenge this behaviour every chance we get. I hope even those who can ignore it will do so, too.

Budi

No, just that because I can't find a single post in this thread defending that type of behaviour.

All right, let me rephrase it. Why are so many people just saying to accept it? "It happens in every game", "It's not new", "it's banter". Why are so many people denying that this is a problem? It's clear that many people are negatively affected by this, why the lack of empathy and comments like "get a thicker skin" "report/mute and move on".

And it really isn't banter to say "kill yourself *insert slur". It's not ment to be playful.

All right, let me rephrase it. Why are so many people just saying to accept it? "It happens in every game", "It's not new", "it's banter". Why are so many people denying that this is a problem? It's clear that many people are negatively affected by this, why the lack of empathy and comments like "get a thicker skin" "report/mute and move on".

And it really isn't banter to say "kill yourself *insert slur". It's not ment to be playful.

I don't think anyone has denied it's a problem but you can fix the problem easily by blocking chat from people who are acting like dicks. I don't think it's an issue worth complaining about when everyone has the power to shield themselves from it by pressing a button or two. You're never going to stop people from acting like dicks, so ignoring it is the easiest and best option if it genuinely bothers you.

Budi

I don't think anyone has denied it's a problem but you can fix the problem easily by blocking chat from people who are acting like dicks. I don't think it's an issue worth complaining about when everyone has the power to shield themselves from it by pressing a button or two. You're never going to stop people from acting like dicks, so ignoring it is the easiest and best option if it genuinely bothers you.

How about devs block the chat from those people? Dota 2 atleast used this at some point. And make it permanent for reccuring offenses. That sounds good too right? Or you think these people should be allowed to continue their behaviour?

Edit: Does every game even have block/mute option? They should though.

Zakalwe

Banned

I can't agree here. I think we need to go as far as to challenge it every time we see it happen. If it happens to us, sure, block but also report just in case the behaviour is repeated. If it happens to another in front of you, then chime in and stand up for them or show some support /before/ you block and report and move on, etc...

Yes, some people can just block and ignore it and in a few minutes they'll never think of the incident again, but people can be more vulnerable and comments like "kill yourself" could actually cause lasting harm.

hwy_61

Banned
How about devs block the chat from those people? Dota 2 atleast used this at some point. And make it permanent for reccuring offenses. That sounds good too right? Or you think these people should be allowed to continue their behaviour?

That sounds like that should be up to the platform holder. I believe MS still has some kind of system in place to punish people for being dicks on Xbox live

The devs do ban people
F9IkO1A.jpg

Think about how many reports they get per day. It'd be in the thousands, easily. Now think about how many man hours it takes to go through each of those reports to make sure they're legitimate before they can take action.

Blocking is a 100% effective way of solving this problem. Unless they go through the effort of creating a new PSN account just to message you. Unless you can suggest a better say to fundamentally change how people act online (and I mean online everywhere, not just in Rocket League), you need to take control by blocking whatever it is that upsets you. As long as you have the power to do that, this shouldn't be an issue.

I can't agree here. I think we need to go as far as to challenge it every time we see it happen. If it happens to us, sure, block but also report just in case the behaviour is repeated. If it happens to another in front of you, then chime in and stand up for them or show some support /before/ you block and report and move on, etc...

Yes, some people can just block and ignore it and in a few minutes they'll never think of the incident again, but people can be more vulnerable and comments like "kill yourself" could actually cause lasting harm.

I think if someone is that sensitive, where a comment like that from an anonymous stranger could cause them lasting harm then they should have chat blocked before ever going online. People know their limits and what upsets them, and if this is something they're sensitive to, turn it off before you start playing. Again, I agree it's a problem, but until someone actually offers a suggestion of how to stop it at the core, blocking is the best and only option you have and it works 99% of the time.

It's no different than saying you're going to kick someone's ass or murder them in a competitive context. You wouldn't blink an eye at those statements because they've been used so long that they've become toothless cliches that barely even register. So every once in a while people turn it up a notch or two to make the trash-talk impactful again.

I've been playing online games for 20 years (since Jedi Knight in 1997) and being told to kill myself is every bit as cliched and toothless as those other examples I have of competitive trash-talk. It's not a recent escalation, it's just something you're more likely to hear in an online game than a real-life football game.

It isn't going away, so if that isn't for you, then public chat isn't for you. Just like you shouldn't see an R-rated movie if there's content you're sensitive to or find objectionable. You can mute people very easily on game and system levels and have chat enabled with known friends only.

I haven't been in a public game chat since party chat was established on the 360 because I don't want to hear that crap and want to be able to have uninterrupted conversations with people I know. Hell, it was even earlier than that, because even before party chat existed, my friends and I found the system options to block communication with anyone on your friend list, so we would all enable that and basically had private chat going in public matches.

Budi

The devs do ban people.

Think about how many reports they get per day. It'd be in the thousands, easily. Now think about how many man hours it takes to go through each of those reports to make sure they're legitimate before they can take action.

As they should, this is the right solution. I guess this is where we agree? Dota 2 also had limited reports per week or something like that. Also require an written explanation what the offense was so it's easier to check. So if somebody writes in "the player was a noob" you know you don't need to check that. Rather throw a temporary suspension to the person trying to abuse the system or take away his reporting priviledges. But yeah, it takes resources to oversee this. But it's in benefit to the game, so why not.

Top Bottom