• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish developers would craft games without artificial time extenders and make good hefty qualify experiences.

levyjl1988

Banned
I enjoy video games, but oftentimes there are parts in games where I wondered, who the fuck is responsible for this, this absolutely ruined the overall pacing of the game!

Examples.

Mass Effect Trilogy
Planet Scanning
Just why? You have such great narrative and exploration then there is this. I don't mind reading about the planet biography but probing it when you have OCD for 100% the game hurts. I forced myself to do this before actually playing the meat of the game. It felt like a chore.

Destiny 2
Shoot X type of enemy with X type of gun. Now do this 1000 times to unlock this really awesome gun. By the time I got the new exotic gun I was burnt out. I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment I was done. I was hardcore into Destiny and a bit of the vanilla of Destiny 2, after that I completely fell off, the gap of newer content and unlocks got wider, my time got constrained more and more and I just stopped. I just stopped playing the game, not just the game but I was done with the franchise.

Alan Wake
Collecting large thermoses.
I started getting really into the narrative but my OCD collectible nature intervened. If I missed one thermos and hit a point of no return you would have to replay the entire game over again, needless to say I got 1/4 into the game before this interfered and stopped altogether. Hopefully, game companies can learn from Modern Warefare and not put collectibles in campaigns otherwise people would explore and pace themself slowly than feel the true urgency atmosphere that the game is trying to create. It's like a game with a timer counting down and the player behaves differently and says, shut the fuck up, I'm exploring let me take my time, I'm checking every container here.
which brings me to...

Bioshock Infinite
Yup, I stopped playing it because of achievements and collectibles. I don't know what the fuck story it was trying to create but my OCD collectible tendency got in the way, I was double-checking, triple-checking every nook and cranny before I stopped playing the game altogether. The worst thing you can have in-game design is points of no returns and collecting all the collectibles in one run, miss one and your efforts go poo poo.

Animal Crossing New Horizons
I fucking hate you, you stupid fucking Dodo. I hate you Dodo Airlines. Nintendo could have simplified this mess of a U.I. but I feel it is deliberate to have players sink more time in shitty menus than actually enjoying the game. If you type the wrong Dodo Code, well fuck you, I guess you have to start from the very beginning of the menu again, what did you want to do again? Go Online, okay wait a minute or several.

Assassin's Creed
1000 flags, or feathers, whatever the fuck it is, it's pointless. Miss one, well which one are you missing, well there's a website for that, and you have to check the site each time you got it.
Whoever designed this part of the game I really wish you are not working in the game industry anymore.

All I want is not just shiny new graphics next-gen but Quality of Life and Quality game design. No more fluff, no more just rice. I want the nice juicy steak with very little to no filler. Thank you, otherwise you just fuck your game over with obvious artificial extenders.

Developers need to play their own games and be like, hey why is this part in here? it feels off, this is fucking stupid, remove it.

I mean... you're right.

Many of us are not 17 anymore and just looking for a good way to destroy maximum lifetime/dollar. The rest does, though.

mickaus

I think it is most useful for younger gamers or more humble adult gamers who only get a couple of new games a year, one for their birthday and one for Christmas. Having the option to get the most value for their money would be useful for them but otherwise if you have lots of games to play maybe just focus on the main story and move on. Those other games won’t play themselves.

Op I recommend you play FF7 remake

I loved FF7R but it's one of the worst offenders. Going off the direct path rarely rewards you with anything meaningful, and the sidequests are terrible. All I wanted to do was continue the story and yet I needed to do all this busy work or check every path just to pick up some mana shards, a Moogle medal, or a materia that I had three copies of already. This game would have been so much better to me if it removed all that shit

Some games are definitely pretty annoying about this kind of thing but at the same tike
I understand it serves a purpose

I think The Witcher 3 would definitely qualify as a 'hefty quality experience.' The sidequests in that game are well written and incredibly detailed.

there are side quests in W3 better than some games’ main quest

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Add anything that requires excessive grinding to the list. Why should a game be a job to get a better Armor/weapon/whatever. No it does not make me feel like I earned something, I feel like some self-important asshole thinks his game deserves my mindless devotion.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
An abundance of collectibles is more often than not an easy identifier of a game that doesn't respect your time. You want me to scour the levels to gather what?
Bananas, skulls, missile tanks, jiggies, SKATE letters, red coins, purple coins, blue coins...?

OP, this sounds like a you problem. Just because you can't control your compulsion doesn't mean games should remove a benign feature that plenty of people enjoy.

Fbh

I don't mind when it's optional stuff.

What's bad is when there's too much padding in the main story/quest

ZywyPL

Banned
It's within our nature to not to appreciate something until we lose it - in previous generation many people complained about how linear the games were, about the on-rail experience, but that made a 4-6h plot a 8-12h game, and now we have the same 4-6h plot closed in a 40-80h walkthroughs because of how open-world most of current-gen games are...

And I agree with OP on the collectibles, at first they always fell like "damn, if I get some more of those I'll get rewarded with some cool bonus", but sooner or later turns out they bring absolutely nothing to the actual game, and you're like "fuck it, I'll just get through the game", or in the worst case you reach a point where it's "fuck this boring game" completely.

Top Bottom