• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iceland becomes the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup

Greedings

They only have that distinction because Vatican City is not in pursuit of Athletic fames

I would love to see Vaticanians (?) running around in robes and cassocks, kicking a ball.

Also:
imgres-1-2.jpg

Vitten

Well deserved in a group with the likes of Croatia, Turkey and Finland. Certainly not a gimme.

Though I wonder If they'd have pulled it of if they were in group A with The Netherlands, Sweden and France.

Strax

Well deserved in a group with the likes of Croatia, Turkey and Finland. Certainly not a gimme.

Though I wonder If they'd have pulled it of if they were in group A with The Netherlands, Sweden and France.

Since Iceland was seeded in the same pot as France we couldn't have been with them. Going in the groups I would've rather been in the group with Holland and Sweden then Croatia, Turkey, Ukraine and Finland

Mesousa

Banned
Since Iceland was seeded in the same pot as France we couldn't have been with them. Going in the groups I would've rather been in the group with Holland and Sweden then Croatia, Turkey, Ukraine and Finland

Can we not pretend like The Finnish national team is serious? They are horrible now lol.

Rosur2a

after their Euro performance not surprised they qualified for the world cup.

Also if they play England will bet they will win again (is English but our team sucks atm)

Yeah I think this Iceland team deserves to be remembered for a long time. It's a shame about the 5-0 last year to France in the end but they're done way more than anyone could've predicted. Hopefully they qualify from their group again and even pull of an upset in the knockout round(s maybe? lol).

Strax

Yeah I think this Iceland team deserves to be remembered for a long time. It's a shame about the 5-0 last year to France in the end but they're done way more than anyone could've predicted. Hopefully they qualify from their group again and even pull of an upset in the knockout round(s maybe? lol).

5-2

Only team to score in every match during the Euros

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fucking Netherlands. How the fuck don't you qualify. ICELAND QUALIFIES

They beat Iceland and got points against Croatia and Turkey. They are decent.

Story of our national team. Starts to score points when they don't matter anymore lol. Good for Iceland even though they won the game against us in Reykjavik with gifted goal from referees.

FDC1

The Netherlands team sucks these days sadly. Sweden is OKish at best. France screwed it, this group is very average, they should already be qualified (hoping it's done tonight after match against Belarus).

Very nice, I hope both irish teams also qualify. Their fans are likeable and maybe it will lower the chances of next year's WC becoming a hooligan shitfest.

They'll be in a group of death for sure

Of what?

There'll be only one other European team.

And this is what the current list of qualified teams and their pot right now look like:

Russia (hosts) 1
Brazil 1
Iran 3 or 4
Japan 3 or 4
Mexico 2
Belgium 1 or 2
South Korea 4
Saudi Arabia 4
Germany 1
England 2
Spain 1 or 2
Nigeria 3 or 4
Costa Rica 2 or 3
Poland 1
Egypt 3
Iceland 2 or 3
Serbia 3 or 4

Except for Germany I don't see any team Iceland couldn't beat.

Edit: A possible group of Germany, England, Iceland and Serbia would be hilarious though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hope our Nordic neighbors do well, I was rooting for you in the Euros!

...Iceland is that empty?!

Yes, almost the entire population lives in Reykjavik, Iceland's only city.

EDIT: I guess they have a couple more small ones, depending on how you define "city".

theaface

Just got back from a brilliant holiday there, so I've got a lot of love for Iceland right now. Hope they do well and I'll be cheering them on.

Theodran

Looks like I'll be buying a personalized Icelandic national team football jersey to wear when I will be the only Icelandic fan at the sports pubs in Osaka come World Cup next year.

Ugh.

It's a joke app. I've never seen or heard about anyone using it.

I think it's pretty neat to be able to look up which friends I am most related to.

The app he linked had also pretty neat stuff like birthday reminders. Not a joke app at all.

Top Bottom