• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA Women’s EURO 2017 [OT] The Netherlands 16 July – 6 August

RocknRola

Wuuut. We scored one! Nice!

Yes, that's my level of low expectations for Portugal in this tournament :p No idea how we even reached the finals to begin with!

Yeah England should be 2-0 there. I didn't spot any pulling or pushing of note.

Their first came immediately after Spain squandered a good chance in the first minute. Could be an exciting game!

[EDIT - Rain & wind is so bad, spectators are all moving up the stands to avoid it, heh]

Peru

England effective, Spain dominant in possession but not managing to break through much. Slowed down after hectic start. Weather making things more difficult.

RocknRola

Woohoo! We won! Somehow :v Scotland could have tied right at the end, but they hit the post.

Yay, 1st ever win in a Euro! :D

That bizarre penalty u-turn from the ref probably makes up for the disallowed goal!
Woohoo! We won! Somehow :v Scotland could have tied right at the end, but they hit the post.

Yay, 1st ever win in a Euro! :D
I think on balance, you were the better team. Our goal was arguably higher quality, the result of team play rather than our laughable defending, but despite Scottish resurgence in the second half, I think Portugal were more composed overall.

If Spain go on to lose this game tonight though, you'll have a tough job against your neighbours!

[EDIT - And as I say that, Taylor puts England 2-0 up!]

RocknRola

That bizarre penalty u-turn from the ref probably makes up for the disallowed goal!

I think on balance, you were the better team. Our goal was arguably higher quality, the result of team play rather than our laughable defending, but despite Scottish resurgence in the second half, I think Portugal were more composed overall.

If Spain go on to lose this game tonight though, you'll have a tough job against your neighbours!

I'll be happy if we lose by less than 3-0 against England :p With what the girls already did, no one will dare ask any more of them.

Our "league" only has 2-3 proper teams that are betting seriously on women teams. Maybe in 10-15 years things will be different, but just the fact that we're here is a damn big win.

Peru

Give England a chance and they'll score. Massive possession dominance for Spain in this match but I think England's been pretty comfortable. Spain should go through to knockout though, and they're very good at the usual thing Spain teams are good at.

I'll be happy if we lose by less than 3-0 against England :p With what the girls already did, no one will dare ask any more of them.

Our "league" only has 2-3 proper teams that are betting seriously on women teams. Maybe in 10-15 years things will be different, but just the fact that we're here is a damn big win.
We're the same. One team (Glasgow City) has essentially been the only game in town (they've won ten league titles in a row) but other teams are starting to pose a decent challenge and my club (Celtic) is finally investing in its women's side and infrastructure. All of that will improve our game at the national level.

It's our first tournament too....just not going as well as yours... :( ;)

As difficult as it is to admit, England have been the most impressive team thus far. The victory against us didn't reveal much, but a clean sheet tonight against one of the favourites? They're the team to beat, I think.

Maybe England will finally best Germany in a major tournament...without the help of a linesman... ;)

[EDIT - My wide-reaching put-down was *almost* accurate - England won the third-place play-off against Germany in the 2015 Women's World Cup... :p ]

THE:MILKMAN

To the bold I agree reversing the decision like that is very rare but I think the reason she did so was down to the rules. Handball in the penalty area has to be deliberate which it clearly wasn't?

Really good start for England, though.

RocknRola

We're the same. One team (Glasgow City) has essentially been the only game in town (they've won ten league titles in a row) but other teams are starting to pose a decent challenge and my club (Celtic) is finally investing in its women's side and infrastructure. All of that will improve our game at the national level.

It's our first tournament too....just not going as well as yours... :( ;)

As difficult as it is to admit, England have been the most impressive team thus far. The victory against us didn't reveal much, but a clean sheet tonight against one of the favourites? They're the team to beat, I think.

Maybe England will finally best Germany in a major tournament...without the help of a linesman... ;)

Yeah, we're two noobies in this hehe :p

I agree, England are looking mighty impressive. They may have a legit shot at winning the whole thing, depending on well the German factor works or not for the ladies (aka, winning even when playing poorly lol).

To the bold I agree reversing the decision like that is very rare but I think the reason she did so was down to the rules. Handball in the penalty area has to be deliberate which it clearly wasn't?

Really good start for England, though.
I agree with you too, but hopefully it was down to the assistant(s) and not the players! I'm all for helping refs make the correct call, whatever that entails. As long as it isn't from the Sir Alex school of crowding the ref! (that was very effective...!)

THE:MILKMAN

I agree with you too, but hopefully it was down to the assistant(s) and not the players! I'm all for helping refs make the correct call, whatever that entails. As long as it isn't from the Sir Alex school of crowding the ref! (that was very effective...!)

It looked like Houghton was talking to the ref in the replay so maybe she pointed out the rules!? Weirdly all the pundits on C4 all agreed it was a penalty and none mentioned the deliberate rule.

It looked like Houghton was talking to the ref in the replay so maybe she pointed out the rules!? Weirdly all the pundits on C4 all agreed it was a penalty and none mentioned the deliberate rule.
A lot of pundits, especially in the UK, still think it's "ball-to-hand"...!

Of all the major sports, soccer has probably the simplest ruleset!

Peru

First quarter finals set:

Saturday July 29th

🇳🇱 v 🇸🇪 (18.00 CET)
🇩🇪 v 🇩🇰 (20.45 CET)

Peru

The most insane match between Switzerland and France, with the latter almost making the impossible happen: To not qualify from this relatively easy group.

First off, Austria is through as the clear group C winner. Beat Iceland 3-0 today.

Now France, France had to get a point from Switzerland or they'd lose the QF place to them. Red card early on, they're down to ten, Swiss goal on that free kick and the rest of the match France are desperately going for the equalizer. Abily comes through in minute 76 and France are now through.

Humongous disaster averted. For now. Unless England tank tomorrow they're likely France's opponent.

DFsF-f4UMAAoXF-.jpg

RocknRola

Whelp. 8 minutes and already done haha

We tried, England is too strong for us. Doesn't help when we made silly mistakes.

Edit:

Holy crap we tied! :O

RocknRola

Ah well. We tried, and Scotland even gave us a big hand. England was too strong for us, we couldn't push them when we really needed too.

Still, a 2-1 defeat against a team like England is no shame at all I feel. The girls did us proud :)

That was by far the worst I've ever seen a german team play. I'm almost ashamed that I watched this. Steffi Jones is the female Erich Ribbeck.

Dinda

Soo what everyone was expecting to happen when Steffi Jones was appointed happened. Schocking.

Now let's see them cling on to her until we crash out of the groups in the next World Cup.

Mory Dunz

Delie is worthless.

France's new LB is amazing. I didn't recognize her so I wonder if she's new since the oylmpics.

wow, what bad goalkeeping. Deserved lead though.

Peru

France is my favorite national team, they have a full team of players that are still individually a joy to watch, but I'm pretty much tired of waiting for them to play balls-out football in a big tournament. Next time it's on home turf for the WC in 2019. They better sort out things by then. Bye bye.

Stoked for England though.

RocknRola

Well, with France and Germany out, I would be very surprised if England don't end up winning it all.

Of course, the home factor will be a huge boost for the Netherlands as well, so that match may hold some surprises.

Mory Dunz

France is my favorite national team, they have a full team of players that are still individually a joy to watch, but I'm pretty much tired of waiting for them to play balls-out football in a big tournament. Next time it's on home turf for the WC in 2019. They better sort out things by then. Bye bye.

Stoked for England though.

yea, Japan is great to watch too. They're the only team who's passing can at least resemble the men's game at times.

They're just soooo unathletic they have to work 10x to make a chance.
Case in point, right now.

D i Z

I guess we don't get the games because of the tournament of nations? I'll have to dig a little bit to understand what's going on. US Brazil match was dope though.

Top Bottom