• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Ceebs

So, yeah, when will we see full on new Idle Thumbs casts? Or has that already happened? I've only found the progress casts and the idle thumbs site still says to watch for things in the coming months.

Once they get the new website up and running. They want to do the full relaunch of the site and cast as one big thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, the three months and no cast thing is super weird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
*no announcement of a regular podcast* after three months, is kind if weird.

granted, their last cast was fantastic.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif

uj1c6.jpg

dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif
dID60.gif

*no announcement of a regular podcast* after three months, is kind if weird.

granted, their last cast was fantastic.

There's really been no communication, either. Just "we want to make it perfect!" with no solid idea of what that actually is or why it takes so long to do something as minor as furnish an office and get a website up. Or why talking into mics needs to actually be reliant on that.

Last post on their official forums by an Idle Thumber is from 2 weeks ago answering a survey-related question.

Out of all the ways to piss away your banked goodwill, this sure is the lamest :(

Shaneus

Yeah, there was that twitch.tv thing with Super Bass or whatever, but there's been no mention of the cast since (or even a progresscast). Come on, guys... any info would be good info :(

Ledsen

Yeah, there was that twitch.tv thing with Super Bass or whatever, but there's been no mention of the cast since (or even a progresscast). Come on, guys... any info would be good info :(

But the twitch.tv thing wasn't advertised anywhere, was it? Didn't see any posts about it here until it was too late.

Shaneus

Twitter. I only saw it after the fact, too. In fact, I think I only knew about it via here? So yeah, technically not official as that wasn't really communicated by the KS page or the forums (which are the only places I'd really consider valid as far as receiving official, backer-ish info).

sixghost

Then why not say so? What does it cost to keep your backers updated on the project via formspring or a FB page?

Jake posted something like that on the last page, about 3 weeks ago.
The biggest holdup was getting a recording space, which we have secured and set up as of last weekend basically. Getting the website up and running is the next step and then we're good to start casting some pods. The site won't be an editorial site -- as you said, there are more than enough of them and many of them are great. It's a fully database driven version of what Idle Thumbs always was -- a home for the podcast, and archives -- but also with the infrastructure to support multiple casts (Idle Thumbs and the Book Cast, as well as Three Moves Ahead), as well as some things which have been sorely lacking, like dedicated pages for each episode and show. Again, sorry it's taking longer than we would like, and you're right, it is still a weekend project. We only asked for $30,000, and while we made $130,000 and that is completely amazing, that's not startup funding or something. We're still doing what we always imagined we'd be doing -- getting a studio space, setting up a better website, and recording podcasts -- it's just slower going than we anticipated.

Again I get why you're annoyed -- where the heck is the podcast, etc -- and I guess if it comes down to it I don't know what to say other than sorry that the way we want to re-launch Thumbs doesn't line up with the way you'd prefer we re-launched Thumbs. The end result will include the same thing -- new episodes of Idle Thumbs, a video game podcast -- but it will take a little longer than you'd like before new MP3 files start showing up. If that's really not okay, we can probably work something out. We're trying to be above board with all of this, because Kickstarters, while amazing, can run the risk of just falling off the map, or spiraling off into space. Maybe we didn't do a perfect job of explaining everything, but I think there is a smaller gap between our public communications and what I've said in this thread than you're seeing.

Shurs

I think the website is just taking longer than they expected.

Does anyone really care about the website?

It would be one thing if they were bringing back Idle Thumbs as an editorial site -- which is something I'd love -- but I don't remember hearing any complaints about their website setup as it is/was.

Of course, all of this will be forgotten once the podcast comes back, I just don't think anyone thought it would take a quarter of a year to get the podcast off the ground.

A little less than a month ago, Jake said this:
Yes, if you have a little money, and allow yourself a little time, you definitely run the risk of going crazy with it and falling into an infinite hole of "not done yet."

Looking at it from the outside, this appears to be what is happening.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, quite honestly I'm going to have Idle Thumbs subscribed in my iTunes and will never look at the website again. So if this is the reason why we've been waiting several months, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Kz11q.jpg

Ha. I have a feeling that Chris having to write all those songs, and the prep needed for the impending ruinationcast is really stressful. I have a feeling when that podcast comes, the official podcast won't be long behind.

I want to get into listening to the podcast. Where do I start? First episode? Or wait for the new ones? Are the archived ones dependant on specific period events/news or are they more broader in scope of discussion?

Ceebs

I want to get into listening to the podcast. Where do I start? First episode? Or wait for the new ones? Are the archived ones dependant on specific period events/news or are they more broader in scope of discussion?

They will talk about newly released games, but generally the talk drifts to design decisions and more abstract thoughts and rants related to the game. It keeps the talk from feeling dated even if they are talking about games that came out years ago.

You can start from the beginning, or just pick amusing sounding episode titles.

Ledsen

Unlike many podcasts that focus on news, idel thumbs is timeless. They may sometimes talk news, but if theyre not interested in something they won't talk about it. And when they, the discussion is interesting because it comes from them wanting to talk about a thing as opposed to being "forced" to do so.

AkuMifune

Banned
Does anyone really care about the website?

No. But apparently they do, so we kind of have to wait for them to get their shit together and hope it's for the best.

The worst part is that I rushed through 'Sense of an Ending' for the bookblumcast and now feel like an idiot. The sense of my optimistic ending to having something soon: disappointment!

Shaneus

http://i.imgur.com/Kz11q.jpg[img]

Ha. I have a feeling that Chris having to write all those songs, and the prep needed for the impending ruinationcast is really stressful. I have a feeling when that podcast comes, the official podcast won't be long behind.[/QUOTE]
I have a feeling you're right.

You know what else is super weird? The progresscasts never really have any progress updates because they aren't really doing anything worth talking about by their own admission. Like, building 3 pieces of IKEA furniture and getting baffling up in an office evidently took weeks or months. How mindblowing is it knowing that they've paid 3, if not 4 months rent in their new office and have nothing to show for it?

Aside from some pictures of Jeff Goldblum wallpapers, I guess.

e: I should probably stop crying about it; such are the pitfalls of crowdsourcing with no accountability. I'm sure I'll forget all this nonsense once they actually come back from the dead

Odrion

Banned
Anyone want to do an Idle Thumbs relisten in the meanwhile?
I enjoy in the best way possible, with a fresh playthrough of

F A R
C R Y
T W O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O O

Top Bottom