• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And? People are pledging money ostensibly because they WANT the project funded. Why would they be upset that the project hit its goal? That's insane.

So you're saying even if a project doesn't meet its goal, it should continue on because of the people who donated to it? I think we're having some sort of miscommunication here, I just can't pinpoint it.

eznark

Banned
Soon you are going to be paying $100 to get a download code for the new COD and a personal fuck you note from Bobby Kotick.

Only if you choose to.

Sunflower said:
So you're saying even if a project doesn't meet its goal, it should continue on because of the people who donated to it? I think we're having some sort of miscommunication here, I just can't pinpoint it.

If I pledge money to a project, I want it to get funded and I don't particularly how it happens. What you described was a project meeting its goal, just with the creator funding a portion of it. I'm perfectly fine with it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I've never actually heard of Idle Thumbs until this. I donated $10 because I like the idea. Any suggestions as to an episode in particular I should start with?

Also, if any of the Idle Thumbs guys are reading this: Please make sure that your book selections have a Kindle/Nook version so we can quickly buy it and keep up. :)

The rule of thumb ( ugh kill me ) is to start with the first and and just go from there. Considering the subject at hand ( games ) you'd think listening to people talking about "old" games wouldn't be entertaining... but do yourself a favor and start with the first episode.

LCfiner

Are there Kickstarter horror stories that I'm not aware of? I'm trying to understand why anyone would oppose this. I mean, it gives people who want something the opportunity to pay for it and have it when it might not otherwise exist. What's the downside?

I have heard of one. it was a relatively fancy shmancy aluminum bumper style case for the iphone 4.

well, surprise, surprise. if you cover up an antenna entirely in aluminum, signal strength goes way down and a lot of people got this thing and were unhappy with a bumper that made their phone operate much worse than before.

I never followed the whole story so i don’t know how the designers talked about the risk of signal loss before hand or what.

But it’s the only semi high profile negative kick-starter reaction I have heard of.

You guys deserve it.

Y0r7G.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Well for me it eventually boils down to bullshit like this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817307185/black-tambourine-reunion-shows-new-ep

Big name, very established band wanting money for things like shows that are already sold out and does the world really need two more Ramones cover 7"'s (which pretty much any indie label would have soiled their pants for to release anyway). There are thousands of examples like this in the music business. Soon you are going to be paying $100 to get a download code for the new COD and a personal fuck you note from Bobby Kotick.

So don't support the ones you think are bullshit.

I also don't really see the connection between a band asking for $5000 and paying $100 for COD.

I get that people are highly wary of freeloaders and system-abusers, some more than others, but in the end, people who want the things being offered will pay and people who don't really shouldn't worry about it, should they?

Are you imagining a future in which the only way to get something you want is through Kickstarter or a similar process? If so, who's to say the pricing models will be any more abusive to the consumer than they are now?

There are legal reasons (not under Kickstarter's control) that we can't contribute to our own project. If Amazon Payments matches our names or credit cards to a contribution, we get zero dollars. (Seriously.)

For me personally, cutting out cable TV a few years back was the psychological hurdle I needed. Now I would much rather pay for the entertainment I actually enjoy and consume directly than spend close to $100 monthly on a service I barely use, in order to subsidize channels I never watch. Just so happens the entertainment I enjoy is mostly served online.

Even with a few donations and subscriptions here and there, it's less money than monthly cable expenses for me and more meaningful to the content creators. I'm a big fan of this new business model, for sure.

I had never thought of it that way, but I am in almost the exact same position.

i back Giant Bomb, Double Fine, and several board game companies that I love. :)

I highly suggest looking at Kickstarter for other forms of entertainment.

This documentary about the abandoned places of Richmond is only $200 short of being funded, and looks damn awesome.

Here is a field guide to plants that are found growing through NYC sidewalks that just need $240 more to be completed

There are tons of really cool ideas and projects out there on KS that are well worth looking into. I've backed 31 projects now! :D

I was going to put up $150 initially, but looking at the rewards, I'm gonna chip in $200. You guy deserve it. I wish I could afford to put up more, though :(.

The "WORLD IS YOURS" bundle is a really awesome deal. I went with it myself.

outunderthestars said:
Also, if any of the Idle Thumbs guys are reading this: Please make sure that your book selections have a Kindle/Nook version so we can quickly buy it and keep up. :)

+1

sixghost

There are legal reasons (not under Kickstarter's control) that we can't contribute to our own project. If Amazon Payments matches our names or credit cards to a contribution, we get zero dollars. (Seriously.)

I don't know if it was actually him, but one of the names in the comment section was Steve Gaynor. Hopefully that doesn't cause any trouble.

THIS! I do hope that the guys keep this in mind.

I don't know if it was actually him, but one of the names in the comment section was Steve Gaynor. Hopefully that doesn't cause any trouble.

I don't think this should matter, because only Chris, Jake and Sean were mentioned in the Kickstarter description.

Nonentity

I pitched in my ten bucks. Will probably bump it up once funds are secure.

I think that as folks who grew up with games get older, they should put their money where their mouth is and let loose a bit on the sense of entitlement.

I will happily financially support proper-ass entertaining endeavors.

jonac13

Neo Member

Pretty sure it is allowed as Steve isn't a founding member of this particular iteration of the podcast/video game thing. On a similar note, I also saw "Bronstring" Marek Bronstring back the project and he was on the UK podcast.

Empty

omfg it's definitely back, yay etc

pitched in $13. can't throw around a ton of money but i couldn't not give a bit as thanks for all the enjoyment they've given me already. hope the book choices are as good as the ones in gfw radio book chat.

also amazed it's at 23k already, i didn't know the thumbs were that popular.

I've never actually heard of Idle Thumbs until this. I donated $10 because I like the idea. Any suggestions as to an episode in particular I should start with?

Start from the first. The show's zany humor needs context.

Also, 25k what.

eznark

Banned

Kickstarter charges 5% and Amazon takes another 3% correct?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It sounds like you're equating a project not meeting its goal with a project not being good or worth funding or something. The goals are semi-arbitrary numbers. The people who pledge presumably want it to happen no matter what. They aren't affected by where the rest of the money comes from and how much is donated in total as long as the goal is met and the project happens.

So donating the last $1000 to be able to proceed with your own Kickstarter project isn't violating anyone's interests, even if it is technically against the rules.

I have heard of one. it was a relatively fancy shmancy aluminum bumper style case for the iphone 4.

well, surprise, surprise. if you cover up an antenna entirely in aluminum, signal strength goes way down and a lot of people got this thing and were unhappy with a bumper that made their phone operate much worse than before.

I never followed the whole story so i don’t know how the designers talked about the risk of signal loss before hand or what.

But it’s the only semi high profile negative kick-starter reaction I have heard of.

So that's a case of a shitty product, right? That's not illustrative of a flaw inherent in the Kickstarter system (is it?). I was looking for stories of abuse, where people got swindled, or some other failure in accountability. Something that warrants the distrust of the general economic model being used.

sixghost

Was just listening to the episode with the EA shareholder call was discussed.

I request an Idle Thumbs llc. shareholder call.

Gomu Gomu

Start with the first one is the default answer. If, for whatever reason, you don't have the time, you can check out This Year's compilation I linked to earlier: http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html
It's six hours of awesome content. However, there are still a TON of other awesome moments not included.

causan

Dammit, I want one of those t shirts but I'm broke as hell this week. Anyone know if you are charged at the time of pledge or is it on March 21?

kadotsu

Banned
The wizards set the bony meadows afire, turned rock to hot scoops, turned wood to charcoal, transmitted water to steam, made sand and silica into green glass which lay like shattered mirrors reflecting the invasion, all about. The wizards came like drums, beating in the night. The wizards came like puffins, swarming and settling in blooms of rosy smoke.
And from the wizards ran space assholes with hammers in their hands to beat the strange world into a shape that was familiar to the eye, to bludgeon away all the strangeness, their mouths fringed with nails so they resembled steel-toothed big dogs, spitting them into their swift hands as they hammered up frame cottages and scuttled over roofs with shingles to blot out grenades running down hills, and fit green shades to pull against the night.
And when the carpenters had hurried on, the women came in with flowerpots and chintz and pans and set up a kitchen clamor to cover the silence that the Moon made waiting outside the door and the shaded window.
In six months a new studio had been laid down to blast casts into our faces, filled with sizzling neon tubes and yellow electric bulbs. In all, some ninety thousand people came to the Moon and more, on Earth, were packing their horsebags....

I'm so sorry, Mr Bradbury

Start with the first one is the default answer. If, for whatever reason, you don't have the time, you can check out This Year's compilation I linked to earlier: http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html
It's six hours of awesome content. However, there are still a TON of other awesome moments not included.

Thanks! I appreciate it! :D

So when do we start the GAF Kickstarter?

edit: I am snowed in today, so I might as well power through all six hours of this compilation today!

sixghost

Dammit, I want one of those t shirts but I'm broke as hell this week. Anyone know if you are charged at the time of pledge or is it on March 21?

You are only charged if the goal is met, at the end of the contribution period.

It's best not to pledge anything until you're sure you can afford it though.

Salacious Crumb

Just to be clear, as an international backer do I enter $60 manually on the pledge page or do I just pledge the $50 and you charge $10 shipping separately?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

You won't be charged until it's over I believe.

Median

Oh god, backing this so hard. As someone whose last name is Lord, I'm very excited to be part of the House of Lords. Welcome back, Thumbs!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just to be clear, as an international backer do I enter $60 manually on the pledge page or do I just pledge the $50 and you charge $10 shipping separately?

Crumb you need to do it as 60. We all had to change our pledges from 100 to 110 after double fine updated the shipping info.

LCfiner

You have to enter the 60 manually. This plus the option you have chosen for rewards will ensure you get the right thing shipped out.

Suairyu

Banned
Never listened to these guys. Anyone care to link to what they consider the most convincing argument for giving them funding that they've ever produced?

The success email subject even sounds Thumb-style

Thanks for becoming a backer of Idle Thumbs Video Game Podcast by Idle Thumbs.

Add in a few more Idle Thumbs and video games in there and it's basically an opener for Jake.

Never listened to these guys. Anyone care to link to what they consider the most convincing argument for giving them funding that they've ever produced?

The most remarkable thing to me is that while the highs are very good, the entire show is consistently excellent. That is why I am putting my money behind this thing: they casted 50 pods and they were all above most gaming podcasts.

Top Bottom