• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Cyberpunk had only released this year as the 2.0 version, how do you think it would have reviewed?

How do you think Cyberpunk 2077 would have scored in 2023?

• 95-100

Votes: 62 28.8%
  • 90-94

Votes: 113 52.6%
  • 85-89

Votes: 32 14.9%
  • 80-84

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Less than 80

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
So no last-gen version but you have to consider it's after Elden Ring, TOTK, Starfield, and all the other more recent open-world games.

I'm talking about metacritic/open critic.

GHG

The extent that this game lives fucking rent free on GAF is astonishing. Every fucking thread lol.

Who knew a big AAA exclusive on Xbox would trigger so many crybabies here

f2UAQvo.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've played the game about a dozen hours. There are definitely limitations to the way the game plays, but overall, the strengths of it are so obvious (story, dialogue, world/city design, combat flexibility, etc.). Those strengths were buried underneath bugs (on PC) and horrible, cynical, fraudulent behavior on part of the publisher with the other versions.

Without that, I think it would be getting 90+ MC easily, plus you add on 15-20 hours of Phantom Liberty which everyone is raving about.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I was thinking the other day they should’ve done what Larian did with BG3. Do an extended early access period for a couple years. Will sell a couple million and keep the coffers full while you iron out the kinks for a full release. I waited for BG3 and couldn’t be happier with it. Who knows what kind of pressure they were under from investors tho.

GHG

I was thinking the other day they should’ve done what Larian did with BG3. Do an extended early access period for a couple years. Will sell a couple million and keep the coffers full while you iron out the kinks for a full release. I waited for BG3 and couldn’t be happier with it. Who knows what kind of pressure they were under from investors tho.

Yeh it was the investor pressure that resulted in them releasing it when they did.

But it has to be said that it was very much self-inflicted pressure because of how they guided and forecasted in previous earnings calls.

wipeout364

How long are we going to keep talking about launch reviews? This isn't 2006 anymore people. Cyberpunk was busted at launch and it got fixed; just like what seems like the majority of games nowadays.

How long are we going to keep talking about launch reviews? This isn't 2006 anymore people. Cyberpunk was busted at launch and it got fixed; just like what seems like the majority of games nowadays.

For most games, the vast, vast majority of game sales come at launch. Launch review scores are absolutely relevant when that's when the majority of people will be playing the game.

It still runs bad on last gen systems right?

This is coming from ElAnalistaDeBits although I'm not sure if it's 100% reliable info:
Patch 1.6 will be the last update that PS4/PS4 Pro versions will receive. The performance you see in this video will be permanent on these platforms.
- PS4 and PS4 hold 30fps with some stability, but with some drops at demanding moments.
- Noticeable absence of npcs and vehicles on PS4/Pro causes the city to look much less alive.
- Problems with pop-in or loading of some textures have not been fully fixed on PS4/Pro.
- Improvements over the launch version have been substantial on PS4/PS4 Pro, but insufficient to consider it a stable product.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yes, better. I went from a 7 at launch, to approaching an 8.5 with the expansion. It's got it more correct with room for improvement

it’s like they don’t understand that their reactions are why so many make posts like this, they just can’t seem to resist taking the bait
In my opinion at this point both sides are just as annoying and it derails nearly every thread into a Starfield thread. So if it's some form of meta-bait beyond baiting starfield enjoyers, good on them for ruining threads I guess? 🤷‍♂️

intbal

They would have run out of money before finishing it and Tencent would have bought them up.
It would have become CCP propaganda.

So... Less than 80.

acm2000

it was my goty even as is on pc, but i ignore hype and the opinions of most people and make my own mind up by actually watching/playing

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is one of the top 3 must haves on next gen choom, what are you waiting for ?

I think it's better played on a 3080-4090ti. A PS5 Pro would give a decent upgrade. There are still many immersion-breaking shit in the game at it's finest state even after years from now, so it's not something I feel the urge to play now with custom character that breaks story immersion from the get go.

mortal

Gold Member
A lot more favorably than it does now, that's for sure.

Not dropping last-gen consoles fucked the game. Probably would've gotten more than one DLC for it had CDPR not spent so much time and money correcting their mistakes.
Either way, I'm enjoying my time in Night City, and version 2.0 has me very eager to see how they'll manage on UE5, and how it will compare to the REDengine.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I will forever regret buying Cyberpunk 2077 on release. The game and dlc look great now, but I'm to burnt to show any interest now.

I reckon it would've scored in the lower 90s if today's game released day one.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
A solid 90 for sure

The sword fight is awesome, and the upgrade system is not that a big mess anymore

Still, the promises of "you choose something and everything changes" will always be the biggest bullshit ever. If you're not sure about a industry changing thing, don't say anything

nowhat

Maybe I'll get it on PS5 Pro for 60fps RT.
If the 30fps RT mode is anything to go by... not worth it. It's not the "RT overdrive" mode. 60fps is fine-ish with some drops (a VRR capable display will help to smooth things out).

(Having said that, I did run into an issue where the game would crash on the end boss, first when I almost killed him, then like after 30s after starting the fight. Had to restart the console to rectify that.)

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If the 30fps RT mode is anything to go by... not worth it. It's not the "RT overdrive" mode. 60fps is fine-ish with some drops (a VRR capable display will help to smooth things out).

I know, it would be poor-man's RT. But better than nothing + 60fps.

Luipadre

Sadly its not. Whenever the game drop frames its a judder/stutterfest with some tearing too. VRR does jackshit

nowhat

I know, it would be poor-man's RT. But better than nothing + 60fps.
IMHO, the SSR/cube maps/whatever the fallback is is pretty good, for the most part. In some scenes though the lighting is noticeably off. Also FSR 2 does really break on some (thankfully rare) occasions. FSR 3 should be coming to the game, we'll see if it makes it to the consoles.

nowhat

Sadly its not. Whenever the game drop frames its a judder/stutterfest with some tearing too. VRR does jackshit
On extreme cases no. But like on more moderate drops I found it more tolerable. But what do I know, my eyes are not DF-certified, guess I'm an easier mark.

Top Bottom