• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I wanna buy older consoles..

Which are the better ones?

I'm talking graphics, and how stuff will look on my C1 - between PS2 gen consoles and PS3 gen consoles... Are the older XBOX's worth it?

I had 3 360's back in the day then I got the PS3 after those RROD, if I remember correctly those consoles were pretty much the same right?

So my question is, do I go full Playstation or is the Xbox a better multiplatform player?

*I had a Series X but traded for a second PS5 for my father, so I can't play 360 games there anymore.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Series X has a fair bit of backwards compatibility and a disc drive, so that's something to consider if you want a 360. Might browse some BC lists to see what works.

PS3 has tons of games that never made the jump. I still have mine, and a Wii U close by, and a 3DS.

Hudo

You seem to be a little unsure what you want. I'd start with what games you want to play and go from there.
This advice also holds true for new games.

At the end of the day, you play games not platforms. So think about the games you want to play and then choose the platform that supports that.

Buy a Dreamcast and you'll have TONS of fun.
Marvelous console! Small and quality library of games.

Or you can buy a PSP slim (with component cable to play on tv if you want). PSP is awesome, LOTS of exclusives from First and Third Party!

Sleepwalker

Ive been in this position for the past year and have been slowly getting the hardware that can best play the games I want.

If you are open to modding this is what I'd go for:

On the xbox side, this is the easiest one, just get a series X. Their backwards compatibilty is the best out of the current platform holders. I dont use my series X for modern games much but will keep it for this, it will be moddable in time too so I expect it to have full 360 and og xbox BC.

On Sony's side:

PS5 for PS5/PS4 games
Vita for vita + psp + ps1
Either BC PS3 for PS3 +PS2 (these fail a lot so be careful)
Or PS3 slim + PS2.

On Nintendo's side

Wii U can play Wii U, Wii, GC, N64, SNES, NES + GB, GBC and DS when modded.

You can get a Wii for wii + gamecube discs. I still have my old gamecube so I'm going the Wii U route.

Then you can grab a 3DS to play basically all the portables, altho DS might not look as good as the actual DS.

On Sega's side:

aint nobody got time for that GIF
[/s
poiler]

Also please note that consoles older than the ps3/360/wii dont come with HDMi ports, there are solutions for this but the results range from looking like trash to looking OK but being expensive or requiring decent modding (ie soldering) skills.:)

Last edited:

Krathoon

You can also just use an emulator for PS1 games. They run the discs. You can also just pull an image off of a disc.

tkscz

I'm talking graphics, and how stuff will look on my C1 - between PS2 gen consoles and PS3 gen consoles... Are the older XBOX's worth it?

I had 3 360's back in the day then I got the PS3 after those RROD, if I remember correctly those consoles were pretty much the same right?

So my question is, do I go full Playstation or is the Xbox a better multiplatform player?

*I had a Series X but traded for a second PS5 for my father, so I can't play 360 games there anymore.
So just Gen 6 and 7? In terms of graphics GameCube and Xbox tend to look much better than PS2, with Xbox having the best graphics, but PS2 has the bigger library plus PS2 fat is backward compatible with PS1.

Gen 7 just go with 360. 3rd party games all look exactly the same between those two.

Krathoon

You can also just the emulator for Turbografx CD. The emulator also runs actual discs too. Just used it to test one out.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Get a Dreamcast a VGA Box and a CRT TV/Monitor.

On the Xbox side pretty much everything worthwhile is backwards compatible.

From personal experience, anything not using HDMI will look like poop on a C1, unless you shell out $300 for the RetroTink 5x. Even then, PS2 was bad due to interlacing. I gave up, sold my RetroTink, and snagged a JVC CRT locally for $40.

It sounds like you want a 360.

Last edited:

Bry0

The best combo, ps3 with hen and OG Xbox with softmod. Ps2 looks like garbage on a modern screen and most the old thps games can do 720p over component in the OG Xbox. OG Xbox multiplats are almost always better, it’s not even close. Ps3 can play ps1 games really well too. Ps2 emulators are so good that having native hardware isn’t a big deal anyway.

360 is great too. Just depends on the games you want to play and how much “modification” you intend to do. If you aren’t modding then a lot of ps3 multiplats run like crap.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

From personal experience, anything not using HDMI will look like poop on a C1, unless you shell out $300 for the RetroTink 5x. Even then, PS2 was bad due to interlacing. I gave up, sold my RetroTink, and snagged a JVC CRT locally for $40.

It sounds like you want a 360.
PS2 looks pretty good with Retrotink. This is IMO, of course. It can upscale from 480i.

Quasicat

I'll be getting a Wii just to get the Gamecube games back up and running....Not sure if I want to get the Wii U with its weird display controller
I bought the Wii U at launch because I knew the HDMI port would be the standard going forward. Last year, the Gamepad stopped working and I threw it away, but the only games I really played could use the Pro Controller. Add to that the GameCube hack on the Wii side, and it’s my all in one Nintendo machine. Realistically, I really only use it for Wind Waker HD and Rhythm Heaven Fever though.

Havoc2049

Get a Series X again and explore the OG Xbox and X360 games. If you like Western RPGs and FPSs, the Xbox has a massive catalog of old RPGs and FPSs from Bethesda, id, Microsoft, InXile and Obsidian.

radewagon

Best option is really to just get another Series X. The backwards compatibility is great. If you want to get a PS3 for the exclusives, it's probably best to get a super slim or slim. Avoid the fats. They're unreliable. Bonus points if you put an SSD in the PS3. The PS3 games will look rough on a 4K set, though. You can pick up an mClassic to help a little but results are divisive. As for PS2, someone said to get a Retrotink and they are right. The Retrotink 5x makes original hardware PS2 games look better on a flatscreen than any other product out there. However, component cables plus the 5X itself comes out to a hefty sum.

violence

Xbox is pretty awesome with the backwards compatibility. You want to play Red Dead Redemtion 1? It's 4k on xbox series x (1440 on series s).

fatmarco

The original Xbox is the best for its era in terms of multi platform games as its far more powerful than PS2 and Gamecube, and it also has the cheapest games on the secondary market so it's a win win there.

PS2 is also a good shout for its exclusives and general availability, but it also will perform worse on most multiplatform games. Gamecube is only worth it for exclusives as its games are scarce and its 3rd party games are often 2x to 3x the price of their Ps2 and Xbox equivalent games.

If you get a hard modded Xbox you're basically sorted, because generally they've had the clock capacitor removed (an issue for older model Xboxs), can burn games directly to the console for easy access, download games, run emulators etc. and sometimes can have things like larger Hard Drives and even modded HDMI ports (otherwise you'll be wanting adapters in general for retro consoles to work on newer TVs).

Last edited:
PS2 looks pretty good with Retrotink. This is IMO, of course. It can upscale from 480i.
I had the RetroTink 5x with LGC1. Interlaced games were “tolerable” compared to CRT. Some games fared better than others. PS2 games with native interlace filter look like shit.

I sold my RetroTink for more than I paid and bought a few CRTs. Currently using JVC 27” and it blows the RetroTink away for 480i.

Last edited:

Drew1440

For sixth generation games the OG Xbox has the best ports in terms of graphics fidelity, the Xbox 360 can play most of its library and some games are even upscaled. Xbox One misses out on most of the OG Xbox games but the ones that are supported are all upscaled with additional AA.

Some lists might help:

Xbox games that work on the 360
Xbox 360 games that work on the One

For PS3 try to get the original model, or get a slim and jailbreak it which should allow you to play most of the PS2 library.

StereoVsn

I had the RetroTink 5x with LGC1. Interlaced games were “tolerable” compared to CRT. Some games fared better than others. PS2 games with native interlace filter look like shit.

I sold my RetroTink for more than I paid and bought a few CRTs. Currently using JVC 27” and it blows the RetroTink away for 480i.
Wonder if the issue was with OLED. Sometimes it gets weird. I have a regular LCD and PS2 looks fairly sharp with updated firmware and upscaling.

StereoVsn

Damn, amazing answers. That's why we here at neogaf

I think I'll look into the Series X for the older xbox games again and for the older PS2 i'll go with it, thanks guys
Yeah, the OG PS2 models were the best since it's so easy to add an HD to it. Grab sata to ide adapter, 2TB SATA SSD for cheap and $20 freemcboot card and you are g2g.

fart town usa

Gold Member

PS3 is a great buy cause it natively runs PSX discs and PS3 games are still exclusive to the system and most of them are pretty cheap used. I've never looked into it but I think it's easy to soft mod so there's always that.

PS2 is dope and you can get the Free McBoot memory card on Amazon for cheap. It's literally just a memory card that automatically soft mods the console when it's plugged in. Allows you to play burned games or you can get the harddrive adapter and just load it up with games. ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle has that set up.

WiiU is a solid choice cause it's real easy to softmod and you'll have native access to Gamecube and Wii. WiiU also has some great exclusives still.

I don't know shit about xbox. I only have the OG XBOX (still dope though). If you go that route, real easy to softmod and you can also get access to Insignia, it's XBL 1.0, you can play Phantasy Star Online, Doom 3 campaign coop. Good shit.

I'll be getting a Wii just to get the Gamecube games back up and running....Not sure if I want to get the Wii U with its weird display controller
That fucking controller is a curse on that console. Most will break over time and there is nothing to use for a replacement.

diffusionx

Gold Member

You're putting the cart before the horse. You really need to decide what games you want to play, and decide if you'd rather play them on old hardware. The fact is, most of these games can be played in emulation and will look much much better on a new TV like the C1. I know some annoying nerds frown upon emulation, but the enhancements are obvious. And heck, there is a halfway decent chance you could play the game you want to play with a remaster/port on newer hardware.

Last edited:

simpatico

Look at it like taking an old movie, adding tons of (muh tasteful) video processing and upscaling it. I still play some games emulated. The pricing on certain titles can be crazy for hard copies and it's convenient as hell. But OP seems like a man of resources, and if you want to play retro games, try to experience it on a similar canvas to what it was originally painted on. It's like watching Citizen Kane on your phone with a tik tok filter.

Last edited:
You're putting the cart before the horse. You really need to decide what games you want to play, and decide if you'd rather play them on old hardware. The fact is, most of these games can be played in emulation and will look much much better on a new TV like the C1. I know some annoying nerds frown upon emulation, but the enhancements are obvious. And heck, there is a halfway decent chance you could play the game you want to play with a remaster/port on newer hardware.
Thing is, you do need a powerful PC for gen 7 games? I think RCPS3 has bad optimization and and I don't know much about 360 emulation.

Of course for PS2 games it's doable and games like GT4 can look amazing at 4k..

th4tguy

You will actually end up paying more for an older console and some good games than you would if you just bought another series x and digitally purchased games of your choice.

For older playstation and Nintendo stuff, you are better off buying a small emulator box which can hook up to your tv. You can get this pretty cheap and easily emulate up to PS2/ wii stuff.
PS3 is much more difficult to get good performance. You pretty much need a PS3 for what you are wanting to do. The disk games are very expensive these days though.

This is just taking into account cost as the major factor. You will get much better picture quality on your tv with the emulator box/ series x combo than you would buying a PS2 and hooking it up directly.

Top Bottom