• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If I wanna buy older consoles..

fart town usa

Gold Member
That fucking controller is a curse on that console. Most will break over time and there is nothing to use for a replacement.
I love the WiiU gamepad!

sad chris crocker GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'll be getting a Wii just to get the Gamecube games back up and running....Not sure if I want to get the Wii U with its weird display controller

Note however that GameCube games look better on the GameCube than the Wii (if you can find GameCube component cables, or at least RGB SCART). The Wii outputs an inferior image.

Last edited:

cireza

Note however that GameCube games look better on the GameCube than the Wii (if you can find GameCube component cables, or at least RGB SCART). The Wii outputs an inferior image.
Wii U will output 480p over HDMI, so this is the best solution for a modern TV, even if 480p will still look pretty meh in any case.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Make a 10 games from the past list. The most games available on a platform, you get the console. If you want to go retro, emulation is probably the best option, so a Raspberry, MiSter and others could do the work

RAIDEN1

Wii U will output 480p over HDMI, so this is the best solution for a modern TV, even if 480p will still look pretty meh in any case.
So basically get a Wii U, without it's fancy controller? Question is I imported games like F-Zero and Metal Gear (at the time) and had to use a special disk in order for them to be played on my console....will I still be able to play imported games on the Wii U?

cireza

Yes, but we were talking about playing GameCube games, which the Wii U can't do (officially).
Yes, you have to softmod it but otherwise the console is BC and Gamecube games will run as expected, so it might be of interest, this is why I shared the information.

So basically get a Wii U, without it's fancy controller? Question is I imported games like F-Zero and Metal Gear (at the time) and had to use a special disk in order for them to be played on my console....will I still be able to play imported games on the Wii U?
No, you will not be able to use your physical games. You will have to use isos on Wii U. You cannot get a Wii U without the Gamepad, it is required for the console to work. But you can also get a Pro Controller and play exclusively with the Pro Controller.

Not saying that this is the best option for you, but I personally found that it was for me.

Bry0

I had the RetroTink 5x with LGC1. Interlaced games were “tolerable” compared to CRT. Some games fared better than others. PS2 games with native interlace filter look like shit.

I sold my RetroTink for more than I paid and bought a few CRTs. Currently using JVC 27” and it blows the RetroTink away for 480i.
Gah yeah I just got a ps2 and holy crap. I didn’t realize how ahead Xbox was with 480p support. Got a ps2 and hooked it up to my LG CX and my GOODNESS the interlacing looks terrible. Made me look around for a CRT but due to space constraints and prices I just can’t swing it unless one falls into my lap for almost nothing. I’ve had so many opportunities in the past to grab a crt but never did I think I’d actually want one again. Lol

RAIDEN1

Yes, you have to softmod it but otherwise the console is BC and Gamecube games will run as expected, so it might be of interest, this is why I shared the information.

No, you will not be able to use your physical games. You will have to use isos on Wii U. You cannot get a Wii U without the Gamepad, it is required for the console to work. But you can also get a Pro Controller and play exclusively with the Pro Controller.

Not saying that this is the best option for you, but I personally found that it was for me.
Well I am looking for the most hassle free option, seeing as what all went down with Xbox and Dolphin, and the fact that I have no plans of getting a new PC anytime soon...

cireza

Well I am looking for the most hassle free option, seeing as what all went down with Xbox and Dolphin, and the fact that I have no plans of getting a new PC anytime soon...
Well I find the Wii U to be the best console out there to softmod it and play pretty much any 8/16 bits console you want, you also get handheld gaming in perfect condition up to the GBA (which looks awesome on the Gamepad by the way). And the console natively plays Wii and GC games.

There is some work involved into softmodding the console, obviously. And games won't look as good as with Dolphin, which improves visuals a lot. But you will able to play on the Gamepad, that's a nice plus. So it's up to you.

RAIDEN1

Well I find the Wii U to be the best console out there to softmod it and play pretty much any 8/16 bits console you want, you also get handheld gaming in perfect condition up to the GBA (which looks awesome on the Gamepad by the way). And the console natively plays Wii and GC games.

There is some work involved into softmodding the console, obviously. And games won't look as good as with Dolphin, which improves visuals a lot. But you will able to play on the Gamepad, that's a nice plus. So it's up to you.
I found it a pain in the.......when Dolphin was running on the Series X much before the ban, it was nowhere near as straight-forward as what it showed on the videos, Wave Race, seemed to have a "jumpy" display so the screen wouldn't stay stable, I'd have the files on a USB drive and yet the Dolphin emulator couldn't recognise them despite the fact that I had formatted the USB correctly etc...

I am pretty close to just stopping modern Vidya and only playing older stuff. I played ratchet deadlocked and played the new PC ratchet game and like deadlocked a lot more.

I replayed re4 and re4make and liked og a lot more, because remake controls like shit.

I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to play old games and from games from now on.

cireza

I found it a pain in the.......when Dolphin was running on the Series X much before the ban, it was nowhere near as straight-forward as what it showed on the videos, Wave Race, seemed to have a "jumpy" display so the screen wouldn't stay stable, I'd have the files on a USB drive and yet the Dolphin emulator couldn't recognise them despite the fact that I had formatted the USB correctly etc...
That's your typical emulators/softmodding experience. If you don't want/like to take the time to make things work properly, then this won't be a good experience. You can do a lot, but it requires time to setup.

Last edited:
Get a Dreamcast a VGA Box and a CRT TV/Monitor.

On the Xbox side pretty much everything worthwhile is backwards compatible.

Can you play these games on xbox series consoles? Forza motorsport 1, Ralli Sport Challenge 2, Brute Force, PGR1/2, Jet Set Radio Future, Breakdown, Dino Crisis 3 (I liked this game a lot despite the hate), Midtown Madness 3, MechAssault 2, Quantum Redshift. There are also many console ports that run and look best on the original Xbox, for example GTA Double Pack, or Ghost Reacon 2 (it was totally different game compared to the PC version).

I'm sure we'll play all these games in the future thanks to emulators on PC, but not thanks to MS because their emulation library is very limited, and even though certain OG Xbox games are BC, I still cannot play many of them because of region locking. I can understand why MS can't release certain games in BC (licences etc), but I don't understand people like you who ignore all these great games from the original Xbox and say there's nothing to miss.

As for CRT (and PVM) monitors for many years that was the best way to play 6'th gen consoles, but in 2023 I can aslo recommend Retrotink 4K + HDR TV, because this upscaler/conventer can replicate the picture characteristics of the best CRT monitors thanks to the HDR CRT MASK (SDR masks cant replicate the look of the CRT nearly as good). I still have CRT monitor and SD CRT, but the picture quality from retrotink 4K is even better. I have never seen 6'th gen games looking that good on the real CRT. The only advantage of CRT is better image quality during motion, but that's not something that I notice that much, so when my current CRTs will die, I'm not planning to replace them with another CRT even if someone would made a brand new CRT.

Last edited:
Retroarch is amazing considering the range of platforms it emulates, and it also has HDR CRT shaders like Retroink 4K, but the standalone Dolphin emulator is much more reliable than the Dolphin CORE found in Retroarch.

Humdinger

Which are the better ones?

I'm talking graphics, and how stuff will look on my C1 - between PS2 gen consoles and PS3 gen consoles... Are the older XBOX's worth it?

I had 3 360's back in the day then I got the PS3 after those RROD, if I remember correctly those consoles were pretty much the same right?

So my question is, do I go full Playstation or is the Xbox a better multiplatform player?

From what I recall, when there were differences in multiplatform titles between the 360 and PS3, they often favored the 360. If you are just considering multiplatform titles (as you indicate), I would lean toward the 360. Of course, that means you miss out on PS3 exclusives, but you frame your question as being about multiplatform.

The 360 came out in several different versions. You can pick one up on ebay for pretty cheap.

RAIDEN1

Retroarch is amazing considering the range of platforms it emulates, and it also has HDR CRT shaders like Retroink 4K, but the standalone Dolphin emulator is much more reliable than the Dolphin CORE found in Retroarch.
I might just end up getting a Wii for Cube purposes, much less messing around with anything config related..

Top Bottom