• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you watch “The Boys”, you should watch “Gen V”

bitbydeath

I won’t put spoilers here, but Gen V takes place after season 3 of The Boys, you hear about some things we were left hanging on at the end of the The Boys last season and it even sets up the storyline for the upcoming season 4.

I won’t say you have to watch it but there’s a good chance of character crossovers which could lead to some confusion.

And overall the show is definitely worth checking out.

TLDR: Gen V is basically The Boys 3.5.

Ironbunny

I thought it was really bad compared to boys. On the second episode I was already fast forwarding. None of the charecters are interesting and the whole thing feels like a twilight version of boys. I know it (Twilight) had its fans but man was I bored.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I haven’t caught up on this weeks episode but I found it more like the exact same show as The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina except set in The Boys universe.

They’ve got a seasonal mystery, a scooby gang with powers, and a very simple plot line peppered with teen drama. I like the cast but it feels like filler so far.

Hugare

Is starts strong, but the last couple of episodes were really mid and some characters are very unlikable

This season finale was ok due to the action and shit hitting the fan, but some characters decisions came out for nowhere. Me and my gf were saying "why he would act like that?"

Very ok-ish show, The Boys is much better

Rockondevil

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as The Boys.

I wouldn't say it's a must watch for the future of The Boys.
No more than Loki is a must watch for anything that's coming for Marvel.

Is starts strong, but the last couple of episodes were really mid and some characters are very unlikable

This season finale was ok due to the action and shit hitting the fan, but some characters decisions came out for nowhere. Me and my gf were saying "why he would act like that?"

Very ok-ish show, The Boys is much better
If you mean
Sam
I kind of half agree. The pacing of his character arc does feel a bit rushed near the end, but then again the character made a good point to another main character and the audience at the same time: We never really actually knew him 🤷‍♂️

I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as The Boys.

I wouldn't say it's a must watch for the future of The Boys.
No more than Loki is a must watch for anything that's coming for Marvel.
This isn’t true. There were some really good reveals and future plot threads in the last two episodes of Gen V that would only be missed on someone not paying attention.

There will be literal confusion from multiple points if you skip this going into Boys S4. We can debate this with spoilers if you like.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I doubt they will let a show as successful as The Boys be dragged down by confusion because they didn't feel like putting some exposition in TB to set up whatever it is I haven't watched.

I may give it a go now that it's been recommended, but the trailers looked bad so you owe me if it's a waste of my time.

xrnzaaas

Nah I have zero interest in any of the main characters. Meanwhile in Boys I could easily name at least 2-3 of my favorites and that's been since episode 1.

I doubt they will let a show as successful as The Boys be dragged down by confusion because they didn't feel like putting some exposition in TB to set up whatever it is I haven't watched.

I may give it a go now that it's been recommended, but the trailers looked bad so you owe me if it's a waste of my time.
It will only end up being a waste of time if you're approaching it with the intent to dislike it or pick it apart.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's on par with The Boys, for me. Great show with some good action and multiple mysteries that don't drag out for long.

Marie is easily more powerful than Homelander. She just doesn't realize it yet. Think Hama from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Marie is easily more powerful than Homelander. She just doesn't realize it yet. Think Hama from Avatar: The Last Airbender.
I don't think she is quite yet, because that would imply that
The head-popper politician can easily kill Homelander at any time, and he seemed quite confident that she could not.
Also she would need super speed.

I do however, think that eventually a supe will one day be an upgrade of Homelander as the Vought formula becomes more and more refined. It's why someone like Butcher existing has become a necessity.

Blade2.0

The head-popper politician can easily kill Homelander at any time, and he seemed quite confident that she could not.

I do however, think that eventually a supe will one day be an upgrade of Homelander as the Vought formula becomes more and more refined. It's why someone like Butcher existing has become a necessity.
He actually wasn't sure. He said something to the effect of "sure, try to pop my head, you might even be able to do it, but why do you want to go against your own kind." And that's what really got her to turn on Edgar.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

She said that

Marie is quite powerful and she has yet to realize her full potential... Remember that The politician gets tired after using her abilities for more than 2 instances and has to have direct line of sight... Marie has NONE of those weaknesses and can do MORE than just head popping or penis popping

Thats why I think she's more powerful than Homelander. Remember, not many supes even TRIED to go up against him. Maeve drew blood from him. Butcher came closest to his strength but only, so far, Soldier Boy had him tied in all depts of durability and power.

Imagine Hama living in this world? Controlling HL like a puppet and making him break his own neck.

manfestival

Been kinda slowing watching it. Really prefer the boys. The "human" element of it makes things more interesting to me. Feels like this is just trying to outdo what was done in the last season if anything.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man I loved the boys but just couldnt get into this one. I think I got about 3 episodes in and just kinda stopped watching.

Maybe Ill give it another shot but the main characters just werent hitting for me. They all came across as just unlikeable and zero charisma.

bitbydeath

Im done with Highschool stories for life.
Angry Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Is it as fucked up and jaw drop worthy as the main show?

Or do they skimp out on the horror?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm just so ambivalent about The Boys and this spinoff. In retrospect at least.

I read the comic via trades years after they released. I enjoyed them for the edgelord goofiness of the 2000's that they were. I mean, if you think the show is raw, the comics will blow your fucking hair back.

I typically Trust Seth Rogen to adapt and produce things that I will find enjoyable, as the guy has been involved with what feels like a dozen hilarious projects. So I gave the show a chance and mostly found it fun in a very unserious way, but also lazy in that it leaned on the crutch that it was unserious. So when there's moments meant to be personal or sincere it lacks any gravity. It sometimes feels like the actors aren't even bothering to give it their best because it's a show lampooning super heroes and having people explode people through their assholes.

I watched the trailers for Gen V and it looks like every single second of that show is the occasional lazy crutch-leaning of the main show. I don't mind camp. But at some point I think creators, even in their most cynical works, need to at least try to treat their audience like they aren't idiots.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It has a few jump scares and EPIC body horror like The Boys. And it's got some DAAAARK humor! Not a spoiler but it DOES have puppets (it's in the trailer). LMBO!
Okay yeah I'm in then.

Gonna save it for this weekend though. I still have like 3 shows I have to finish up.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It's only nominally a college show. Past the first episode there is almost no reference to it, no attending classes, no other teachers really involved at all, no strong concept of why they were even there, the "top ten" ranking thing is quickly dropped. The setting is really just a way to have some fratboy humor, an excuse to get these folks together and sorta explain why they don't leave, and have the most loosely plotted "conspiracy" story. The world building is as atrocious and non-sensical as The Boys, but without the phenomenal energy Karl and Anthony bring to the screen. They do have their star, in the form of the growing/shrinking girl, but they sideline her all the time for much less interesting characters and less skilled actors.

It's a mess of a show that only really thrives on wanton cruelty and sudden hyper-violence. There are few explorations of what these powers really mean, what these characters COULD do with them, or what the end goal of constantly creating these largely homicidal freaks really is. I'm kinda hoping the end scene is Butch driving a van of explosives into their cafeteria and just wiping them all out, THAT would fit the vibe of The Boys....clear out the good with the bad.

This show SHOULD have been about Clancy Brown trying to push these kids into some sort of specific mold and Patrick Schwarzenegger, as a near peer to Homelander, having to struggle with godlike powers and his own insecurities and fears for his brother. But noooooooooooooooooooooo all that shit went out in the first ep and we are left with the other idiots and a far weaker "villain". YUGE missed opportunity IMHO.

Denton

The Boys is 9/10

Gen V is 7/10 if I am generous

Meaning I still quite liked it and wasn't bored by it, but it is just nowhere near as good. And as jason10mm says above, they chucked two of the most charismatic actors on the show into the dustbin in the pilot episode. One one hand, brave, on the other, show is much worse off for it.

I do still recommend watching it though. The occasional cameos are fun (Soldier Boy).

Last edited:
Noted...still Meh for me.
Just wanted to clarify for the thread. High school shows normally focus more on relationships, awkward first times, and finding yourself/personality, since they don’t have much else going on at that young of an age.

College shows normally focus on the importance of career choices, character growth, random hookups, struggles of passing class to get the degree, internships, part time jobs, balancing everything, and money.

Gen V begins by focusing on the first 3 and quickly goes off the rails at the end of the first episode. It’s fully off of the track by the end of episode 3.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I feel like she could've taken homelander, her powers are quite literally overpowered; nobody tries because everyone just assumes he's invincible and all powerful.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Yeah I feel like they've been slowly nerfing Homelander. He went from like God status to almost getting his ass kicked a couple times.

Maybe they're trying to make it more feasible if they do ultimately end up taking him out.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel like they've been slowly nerfing Homelander. He went from like God status to almost getting his ass kicked a couple times.
It took 3 people to pin him down once(one being his genetic father who’s a super soldier) and he still broke free. The second time he was slightly caught off guard after taking it easy on his opponent because he didn’t want to outright kill Maeve in front of his son. Stormfront used her powers directly on him when they were having sex.

That isn’t a nerf. I think Homelander is exactly where he should be power-wise, because he was genetically engineered to be powerful, not invincible. I always thought of this like an RPG where each character has a bad matchup and a good matchup.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Loved the Muppet scene and have been enjoying it but it lacks the deeper social commentary that the Boys had, especially in its first season.

Top Bottom