• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Madworld review - 9.0

Chumly

LINK

VIDEO REVIEW IS UP

9.5 Presentation
Absolutely stunning presentation headlined by amazingly stylized graphics and audio. The look is bold, the commentary hilarious. Great story, too. Lacks leader board and online options.
9.5 Graphics
Drop-dead gorgeous art style that's altogether new to the videogame arena and great tech to back it up. Characters and locales constantly wow and the rivers of blood never looked better.
9.0 Sound
Had it not been for some repetitive in-game dialog, we'd have given this a perfect score. The punchy sound effects, hilarious commentary and awesome soundtrack all come together brilliantly.
8.5 Gameplay
Not just blood and guts. Great, smart gameplay controls and hilariously gross mid-level challenges all complemented by epic boss fights. Camera system, though, could use some tweaking.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll blast through normal difficulty in five or six hours, which is short. But you can come back for the ridiculously challenging hard mode or two-player split-screen challenges.
Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

I realize that not everybody will find MadWorld's unique visual and aural presentation appealing, but to me, the game is an instant collector's item and a Wii showpiece, not just for its amazing style, but for its label-busting content. Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw- induced mutilations. More importantly, though, MadWorld does not place emphasis on style over gameplay, so there's plenty of fun, smart mechanics to back up the overwhelmingly slick look and sound of the title. You'll be floored by some of the scenarios that await you in the fast-moving beat-'em-up, surprised by the unexpectedly well-made storyline, and simultaneously grossed out and cracked up by all of the completely over-the-top gore. Even with some camera issues, some repetition, and a decidedly short single-player mode (if you play it on normal difficulty), SEGA and Platinum Games have still created Wii's first truly excellent game of the year.

I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it.

IGN UK REVIEW

Heres another opinion since everyones being fucking babies

9.0 Presentation
Everything from menu design to visual style and audio elements combine into one thoroughly cohesive, totally unique vision.
9.5 Graphics
It's an astonishingly unique, singularly arresting art style that proves admirably that talent, rather than technical horsepower, makes the difference.
8.0 Sound
Too much repetition marrs an otherwise pitch-perfect (and brilliantly obscene) commentary while music and effects are fitting, if never revelatory.
8.5 Gameplay
It's an intoxicating riot of visceral ultraviolence and weirdly empowering creativity. Typical control irritations usurp your ingenuity though.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
A couple of hours to play through but Death Watch Challenges, multiplayer, a terrifying Hard mode and general obsessive point-collecting extend life tremendously.
Great OVERALL

Plenty will gravitate toward MadWorld simply for its more controversial elements. However, its relatively singular obsession with multiplier point progression is likely to repel anyone expecting pure action thrills, particularly given the core game's length. It’s a game that’s ‘hardcore’ in more ways than mere gratuitous excess and its combo-based core will be most appreciated by those with a score-obsessed arcade mentality. Control issues hamper fluidity but there’s no denying that, with some investment, MadWorld rewards in huge doses, delivering an incredibly visceral experience that's as stunningly unique and obscenely entertaining as it is just plain obscene.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
9.5 Presentation
Absolutely stunning presentation headlined by amazingly stylized graphics and audio. The look is bold, the commentary hilarious. Great story, too. Lacks leader board and online options.
9.5 Graphics
Drop-dead gorgeous art style that's altogether new to the videogame arena and great tech to back it up. Characters and locales constantly wow and the rivers of blood never looked better.
9.0 Sound
Had it not been for some repetitive in-game dialog, we'd have given this a perfect score. The punchy sound effects, hilarious commentary and awesome soundtrack all come together brilliantly.
8.5 Gameplay
Not just blood and guts. Great, smart gameplay controls and hilariously gross mid-level challenges all complemented by epic boss fights. Camera system, though, could use some tweaking.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll blast through normal difficulty in five or six hours, which is short. But you can come back for the ridiculously challenging hard mode or two-player split-screen challenges.
Outstanding OVERALL

I realize that not everybody will find MadWorld's unique visual and aural presentation appealing, but to me, the game is an instant collector's item and a Wii showpiece, not just for its amazing style, but for its label-busting content. Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw- induced mutilations. More importantly, though, MadWorld does not place emphasis on style over gameplay, so there's plenty of fun, smart mechanics to back up the overwhelmingly slick look and sound of the title. You'll be floored by some of the scenarios that await you in the fast-moving beat-'em-up, surprised by the unexpectedly well-made storyline, and simultaneously grossed out and cracked up by all of the completely over-the-top gore. Even with some camera issues, some repetition, and a decidedly short single-player mode (if you play it on normal difficulty), SEGA and Platinum Games have still created Wii's first truly excellent game of the year.

I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it.

JKBii

Sounds great and I'm hoping it sells well too but judging by preorders at my friend's gamestop I don't think it will. Hopefully I'm just at a weird location.

kaskade

Like I said in the official thread this was better than I expected. I was thinking somewhere in the 8 range. Now I just have to wait on Amazon.

dwin45 said:
I don't like how IGN begs Wii owners to buy games like this.

Because every third party effort (or effortless) on Wii it's a test for Wii users. If they fail they get more crappy ports, IGN knows that.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
"Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw- induced mutilations."

"I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it."

Will MC stop sounding like a fanboy one day? The lines I quoted have NOTHING to do with game reviewing. He's so annoying.

CoolS

Kilrogg said:
"Anybody who says Nintendo's console is just for kids will see things very differently after a few chainsaw- induced mutilations."

"I'm begging you, buy this game so that we'll see more like it."

Will MC stop sounding like a fanboy one day? The lines I quoted have NOTHING to do with game reviewing. He's so annoying.

Yeah well, but he's right.

Struct09

2wqgbqs.jpg

Chumly

dwin45 said:
I don't like how IGN begs Wii owners to buy games like this.
They BEGGED people to buy No More Heroes but still only gave it a 7.8 which was actually lower than a lot of other places so I'm not to worried that them begging here.

Chrange

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Because every third party effort (or effortless) on Wii it's a test for Wii users. If they fail they get more crappy ports, IGN knows that.

It calls the review into question, especially with the rampant shilling done in the commentary.

Tideas

Banned
I wonder if they begged the same when reviewing Valkyrie Chronicles so that there'll be more Jrpgs on the Ps3

There's a lot of people in here, who usually don't comment on Wii games, who are commenting.

Possible explanations:

1. Anti-Wii Fanboys (40%)
2. Competing Wii companies who are angry their games don't get called out in this manner. (40%)
3. Legitimate argument (15%)
4. ???? (5%)

_dementia said:
9.5 in graphics but no 480p?

should IGN just change "graphics" to "aesthetic"?

That's like lowering the graphics score on PS3 games because they aren't in 1080p. The art style is obviously what's being judged

Chumly

Tideas said:
I wonder if they begged the same when reviewing Valkyrie Chronicles so that there'll be more Jrpgs on the Ps3
You dont have to worry because IGN Nintendo doesnt even come close to IGN Playstation when it comes to overrating games.

Captain Chaos said:
Interesting to note that IGN scores Madworld almost exactly the same as RE5

Both reviews came out within 24 hours of each other.
Thank goodness they're similar scores. That encourages people to talk about the games instead of about decimal points.

Zoramon089 said:
That's like lowering the graphics score on PS3 games because they aren't in 1080p. The art style is obviously what's being judged

I don't buy that for a second. 480p is EXPECTED from all big-title releases on Wii--it's the only "high-def" aspect Wii has. To NOT include it is a pretty glaring oversight.

Volcynika

Tideas said:

This is not relevant as since these are different reviewers and the like.

Also, this and RE5 for me! :D

dani_dc

Was expecting a higher score after he called it a candidate to GOTY on the podcast.

Not that it matters, great score for the game and I'll be sure to get it as soon as possible on the European release.

Shame that Matt had to go beg people to buy the game in the review, as much as a I understand why he's doing it I don't think such things have any place in a professional review, he should just do an editorial about it instead if he wants to do so.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Captain Chaos said:
Interesting to note that IGN scores Madworld almost exactly the same as RE5

Both reviews came out within 24 hours of each other.

you know those games are on two totally different systems. IGN is not comparing the graphics of madworld to RE5.

TheKingsCrown said:
There's a lot of people in here, who usually don't comment on Wii games, who are commenting.

Possible explanations:

1. Anti-Wii Fanboys (40%)
2. Competing Wii companies who are angry their games don't get called out in this manner. (40%)
3. Legitimate argument (15%)
4. ???? (5%)

As of posting, I have no idea what you're talking about. Roughly 90% of the posts are people celebrating while some throw valid criticism over IGN's review comments.

bryehn

Cancelled pre-order. Mostly due to budget crunch, but 5-6 hours and 480i don't cut it for me for a retail game. I'm too busy running a site and playing games for that as well as my own recreation to play games twice, so once I hear a game is so short it falls into rental status.

Charging $60 (in Canada at least) certainly doesn't help. I wanted to buy this, really did.

Is hard mode at least unlocked from the get-go?

Holy shit, he actually wrote the begging thing in his review? Terrible.

Top Bottom