• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Madworld review - 9.0

Duxxy3

Sounds like something i would like. The hip hop soundtrack on the other hand... well i hope there's an option to turn it off.

MoogPaul

bleh, RE5, Pikmin, and madworld for me this week... happily, buying RE5 at toys r us on friday, makes pikmin 10 bucks, so I guess that works.

CoolS

Duxxy3 said:
Sounds like something i would like. The hip hop soundtrack on the other hand... well i hope there's an option to turn it off.

Normally I don't like it either, but the track in the review sounded awesome.

Mamesj

Banned
I'm excited about this game and will buy it, but what the hell is this:

its label-busting content

7.0 Lasting Appeal
You'll blast through normal difficulty in five or six hours, which is short. But you can come back for the ridiculously challenging hard mode or two-player split-screen challenges.

Sirolf

Finally a game for my (dusty) Wii :D
Games like that make the platform more appealing,hopefully it will create a new trend *cross fingers*

neojubei said:
you know those games are on two totally different systems. IGN is not comparing the graphics of madworld to RE5.

Yes.

My point is that IGN is trying to please all parties involved.

For reference;

RE5

9.5 Presentation
9.5 Graphics
9.5 Sound
8.5 Gameplay
8.5 Lasting Appeal
9.0 Outstanding OVERALL

Madworld

9.5 Presentation
9.5 Graphics
9.0 Sound
8.5 Gameplay
7.0 Lasting Appeal
9.0 Outstanding OVERALL

Mamesj

Banned
botticus said:
I think they're referring to the graphically violent content.

I see..."label" as in, ESRB rating. I thought they meant all the gameplay content. just a small nitpick, can't wait to play :)

wsippel

Banned
Mamesj said:
I'm excited about this game and will buy it, but what the hell is this:
It crams a lot of stuff in a short, streamlined experience? Basically the antithesis of, say, DMC4 with it's reverse level bullshit...

EDIT: Or what botticus said.

Cynar

_dementia said:
9.5 in graphics but no 480p?

should IGN just change "graphics" to "aesthetic"?

They look good. If it were what you are saying, every wii game would be a 7 due to not being HD.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Duxxy3 said:

Hopefully it's more-so instrumental hiphop, and not actually with rapping...

Hunahan

Banned
dwin45 said:
I don't like how IGN begs Wii owners to buy games like this.
Agreed.

The types of criticism that most review outlets take offense to and actively protest against are not only embraced, but flagrantly displayed by the Nintendo IGN team on a regular basis.

They cross the line, in my opinion, from writing for their readers to running a campaign. They come across like a marketing outfit, who's job it is to push their transparent agenda to promote sales of games that they seem to think will "steer" the console towards a particular direction.

Distasteful.

Cynar said:
They look good. If it were what you are saying, every wii game would be a 7 due to not being HD.
That's not the case. 480i versus 480p is something that is an issue purely within the realm of the Wii and has nothing to do with comparing Wii games graphically to games on other systems.

Redd

KilgoreTrout said:
Not if you're unemployed. :(

Yeah. It's an expensive hobby. Big reason why I rarely pay full price for a game. There's always some store or online site that sells the new releases for less than retail.

Gino

This game looks so awesome. I loved No more heroes and I know i'm gonna love this.

Hope it sells at least as well as NMHs.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hunahan said:
Agreed.

The types of criticism that most review outlets take offense to and actively protest against are not only embraced, but flagrantly displayed by the Nintendo IGN team on a regular basis.

They cross the line, in my opinion, from writing for their readers to running a campaign. They come across like a marketing outfit, who's job it is to push their transparent agenda to promote sales of games that they seem to think will "steer" the console towards a particular direction.

Distasteful.

They also go the opposite way in their unprofessionalism, see Wii Music

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gino said:
Hope it sells at least as well as NMHs.

There's no doubt in my mind that it'll hit NMH's numbers, problem is it had a much greater budget. Bigger, more experienced team combined with an aggressive GameStop-based marketing campaign means it needs to do better than NMH.

Hunahan said:
Agreed.

Distasteful.

oh come on, the guys just passionate about the game, I'm completely with him, the game is exactly what I want to see more of on the Wii.

Mamesj

Banned
they are enthusiast buying guides anyway. I'm not sure it matters that he's asking people to buy the game, when the point of the review is to tell people to buy it anyway. He's just breaking the fourth wall, ya know?

lopaz

Banned
Hunahan said:
Agreed.

Distasteful.

I lol'd at the campaign about metroid marketing. Why do they think it's their job to tell a big company how to spend their advertising money? Also the continuing use of the terms casual and hardcore in professional game reviews irritates me.

To be fair, this game (and Conduit) are make or break for third parties on Wii. If it fails then we'll be left waiting for a new Nintendo game for six month periods without any real third party efforts, like with N64. It's kind of unfair to pin that on a niche ass game like Madworld, so you can't blame Matt for being desperate.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hunahan said:
Agreed.

Distasteful.
I'm going to guess that you don't regularly read movie reviews, huh?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dreamer3kx said:
man only 5hrs? That will probably be 4hrs for most.

5 - 6 hours on normal and at least that (likely more) on hard, which you will play for the challenge and extra goodies.

Yeah, it could be longer and more feature packed but fuck that; it's about the journey, not the drive.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aaron Strife said:
To be fair, this game (and Conduit) are make or break for third parties on Wii. If it fails then we'll be left waiting for a new Nintendo game for six month periods without any real third party efforts, like with N64. It's kind of unfair to pin that on a niche ass game like Madworld, so you can't blame Matt for being desperate.

MadWorld could sell gangbusters and you'd still never hit the same kind of third-party support for Wii that you can currently get on 360 or PS3. Publishers are not going to turn their entire business strategy around just because MadWorld and/or The Conduit do well.

If you're Wii only at this point, you should strongly reconsider.

But you can come back for the ridiculously challenging hard mode or two-player split-screen challenges.

Sound awesome :D

Also 5-6 hours is nice for a brutal action like that, I'd rather have a short game that stupid filler (like DMC4). A hard mode and some challenges are a really nice way to provide replay value, online coop would have been awesome, but this is a Wii game...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm surprised at the lack of 480p. I just expected it.
Still getting it but that is just strange.

I mean, why not?

ZealousD said:
MadWorld could sell gangbusters and you'd still never hit the same kind of third-party support for Wii that you can currently get on 360 or PS3. Publishers are not going to turn their entire business strategy around just because MadWorld and/or The Conduit do well.

If you're Wii only at this point, you should strongly reconsider.

Yes, I think Gaf should have a rule that every member must own all 5 major consoles.

We'd get a lot more done.

Today's my birthday and my local Gamestop is now selling the game. I'm gonna have one kick-ass b-day! Last year was Brawl, this year is MadWorld!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Hunahan said:
Agreed.

Distasteful.

Don't worry, what they forget is that they have pretty much no bearing on the industry. Well, they're not completely powerless of course, but I like how they think their opinions are relevant regarding industry trends and game sales. That's cute.

Captain Chaos said:
Yes, I think Gaf should have a rule that every member must own all 5 major consoles.

We'd get a lot more done.
If you enter your serial number from your consoles and you register that you've got all five, you unlock Secret GAF.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
9.5 in graphics but no 480p?

should IGN just change "graphics" to "aesthetic"?
Oh, come on, 480p doesn't make a significant difference unless your display does a poor job de-interlacing. The visuals look better than the majority of Wii games out there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
badcrumble said:
If you enter your serial number from your consoles and you register that you've got all five, you unlock Secret GAF.

That's assuming you can get past all the Server 500 connection errors during registration.

GAF should just go Steam.

birdchili

badcrumble said:
secret GAF: just as much complaining as normal GAF.

you know it to be true.

Top Bottom