• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IGN did some more digging with sources today and posted some more hardware power rumors.

They did benchmarks with the system afterwards, but they're kind of non-sensical since the games aren't designed for them and these aren't exact parts.

IGN said:
Earlier this month, we published a report about Nintendo's next console (otherwise known as Wii 2 or Project Cafe) including details regarding the design as well as specific hardware specs. Based on the information we received and with help from our sources, we found retail PC components comparable to the ones Nintendo is expected to use in their new system and built a mock console of our own.

Building the System

IGN's sources originally informed us that Nintendo would be calling upon a custom triple core CPU, similar to what is being used in the Xbox 360, for their next system, as well as a graphics processor built upon AMD's R700 architecture. We called upon our trusted sources to help us determine the retail products with the closest possible clock speed and power, as well as fill in some of the blanks for other components, like finding a suitable motherboard and appropriate amount of RAM.

*I'm removing the list because the general statements from developers make far more sense to go off of.*

Though the parts we used are comparable, our sources say there will be some significant variation in the final product. For one, the CPU is likely to be clocked above 3.2GHz and the GPU will feature a tweaked design but a similar speed to the HD 4850 we used. Most importantly, the Wii 2/Project Caf�'s total RAM is likely to be 1GB, but we added an extra GB to offset the Windows 7 OS, which is pretty taxing otherwise.

Finally, we assembled the system in a MyOpenPC DOMA Pro acrylic case so we could clearly display the components.

In total, our system cost $423.93, which, of course, accounts for retail markup. In the case of Nintendo, hardware and production costs will be drastically lower given the high volume at which the components will be produced, though the final retail price could be upwards of $300.
Source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/116/1168222p1.html

The 4850 is actually a fairly significant R700 card, which speaks well to the system's power level.

I would consider this a notable sign pointing to IGN's "significantly more powerful" rumor than Game Informer's "barely more powerful" rumor.

Since people seem to want more explanation:

Nirolak said:
canadian crowe said:
How does this compare to 360/PS3 specs?
Very favorably.

The RAM bottleneck and what tweaks they are making are important for making a final call though.

As an example however, The Witcher 2 uses that graphics card as its "Recommended" card, which is generally what you use for full settings sans stuff like high amounts of AA.

If someone wants to do a very extensive tech comparison between the base hardware and what's in the 360 and PS3, I'll edit that in here too, with a note that the Cafe's will be modified.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I hope Nintendo surprises us all with the power of the machine.

I don't mind paying $399.99 or more for a system with some legs.

Jeels

Can anyone translate this information into something people who know nothing about this type of stuff would understand?

Repeating what I just posted in the other thread, I'm not bothered by what IGN did. Obviously we know that method is not conducive to an actual console environment, but that level of tech in a console will be very nice.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
canadian crowe said:
How does this compare to 360/PS3 specs?
Very favorably.

The RAM bottleneck and what tweaks they are making are important for making a final call though.

As an example however, The Witcher 2 uses that graphics card as its "Recommended" card, which is generally what you use for full settings sans stuff like high amounts of AA.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Jeels said:
Can anyone translate this information into something people who know nothing about this type of stuff would understand?
Considerably more powerful than the 360/Ps3. There.

antonz

Sanjay said:
The comparisons of the console vs "Wii 2" PC pictures is dumb as fuck.
It is but to the people they are making that video/pics for its informative. In the closed enviroment of the console the difference would be even more staggering but for the simple folks the demo showed there is a difference.

Mmmmmmm.

I wanna See Galaxy HD and Prime HD. Oh Zelda HD. Trauma team HD. Uhhhh..

So many many more HD.

Smash Bros HD.

OH!!!!

Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 HD!

I would really jump on board if this turns out as powerful as next gen Sony/Microsoft machines.

I'm a one console guy, and the Gamecube was perfect for me. You got decent third party games and great Nintendo games.

Just give us a normal controller this time and Nintendo might have another winner on it's hands.

Interesting! If it’s a good solid step up graphically from the 360/PS3 like this rumour suggests, and the controller is more on the traditional side....Nintendo might just get my money.

Krowley

antonz said:
It is but to the people they are making that video/pics for its informative. In the closed enviroment of the console the difference would be even more staggering but for the simple folks the demo showed there is a difference.

But the video is probably pretty analogous to what we'll be getting from 3rd parties right? I'm assuming they're probably just gonna port their stuff over without maxing it out for the new hardware..

Nintendo games, and any exclusives they finance on the other hand, would probably push things a little further I'm assuming.

apana said:
How does it compare to the Nvidia Geforce GT 540M in my laptop?

Bwhahahahahahahahaha!

No but if you're serious, that thing is barely a GPU.

Krowley said:
But the video is probably pretty analogous to what we'll be getting from 3rd parties right? I'm assuming they're probably just gonna port their stuff over without maxing it out for the new hardware..

Nintendo games, and any exclusives they finance on the other hand, would probably push things a little further I'm assuming.

It'll be more than a little further, but yeah, third parties will continue to fail.

Seems reasonable enough. The biggest problem I see with it is the RAM, as 1GB is barely anything these days. Hopefully the real number is somewhere around 2GB+.

This is kind of silly. That PC would probably perform quite a bit worse than a console with similar components. I guess that's a good sign if their specs are close to the real ones.

legacyzero

Banned
TekkenMaster said:
If Nintendo screws up anything with Cafe, it will be giving it only 512 MB of RAM.

Please Nintendo, don't be that dumb.
That's my worry.

That's a good way to fuck up a console real fast.

I hope Retro has something other than Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to show at E3.

Metroid HD, Zelda HD, Starfox HD, F-Zero HD, Original IP HD....just please show something that can truly show off the power of the Wii 2.

NBtoaster

AceBandage said:
Bwhahahahahahahahaha!

No but if you're serious, that thing is barely a GPU.

Erm..the 540m is quite a bit better than what's in the PS3 and 360. Not as good as a 4850 but it's still fairly capable.

Shalashaska161 said:
Seems reasonable enough. The biggest problem I see with it is the RAM, as 1GB is barely anything these days. Hopefully the real number is somewhere around 2GB+.

2GB would really be the max they would need, with 1GB being fine for the most part.
This isn't like cheap PC RAM.

NBtoaster said:
Erm..the 540m is quite a bit better than what's in the PS3 and 360. Not as good as a 4850 but it's still fairly capable.

Eh, sorry, I've just had too many problems with laptop GPUs over the years. More trouble than they're worth.

TekkenMaster said:
I hope Retro has something other than Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to show at E3.

Metroid HD, Zelda HD, Starfox HD, F-Zero HD, Original IP HD....just please show something that can truly show off the power of the Wii 2.

They are not going to show HD Zelda when Skyward Sword isn't even out yet.

AceBandage said:
It'll be more than a little further, but yeah, third parties will continue to fail.

I dunno, don't third parties still maximize their games for PC? They could do the same for Cafe...maybe co-develop the PC/Cafe versions.

antonz

If the specs are accurate you could basically play something like the Witcher 2 maxed out in 1080P likely on Cafe.

Considering this is a Nintendo console we are talking about that is pretty fantastic.

legacyzero

Banned
TekkenMaster said:

I would except nothing less than a new Metroid series. I had ZERO faith in Retro turning my beloved 2D Metroid into an FPS.........Until I played it.

A true NEXT GEN Metroid would make me squeal.

Shalashaska161 said:

Not necessarily if you think console and not PC. Like Ace and others have said 1.5-2GB would future proof the console. And like Jin said in the other thread the type of memory is also key as Nintendo has used faster type of RAM in both the GC and Wii.

Top Bottom