• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Posts Up More Project Cafe Hardware Power Rumors

:lol @ people asking for a price only $50 more than their latest handheld.

I'm fully expecting a $350 launch price, and as long as the tech delivers (and I mean best, or close to best case scenario based on the rumors) I'll have no problem with that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Jin34 said:
I think 2GB of GDDR5 is being overly optimistic even though it would be the best safeguard against the PS4/720. 1GB is what I've always expected.

Now as someone with a 4850... Wouldn't a 4850 with GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 basically be a 4870 for all intents and purposes? That was the biggest difference between the 2 models.
And a bit higher clocks, but yeah. With some custom enhancements we could approach to 4890/280 level, a gen ahead imo. If there's something Nintendo doesn't skimp over, is RAM speed.

antonz said:
I do agree that the 300 mark seems more likely. Puts alot of pressure on the other guys too because it draws the line in the sand on Next gen system prices

I don't think that the price of this console will have much impact on how Sony or MS prices their consoles. $400 seems to be the max that people are willing to "accept" for consoles. That'll likely be both of their targets for whenever they launch their system (which I still think will be 2013 at the earliest).

Jin34 said:
Now as someone with a 4850... Wouldn't a 4850 with GDDR5 instead of GDDR3 basically be a 4870 for all intents and purposes? That was the biggest difference between the 2 models.
I'd bet the Cafe'll end up having GDDR5 on a 128 bit bus.

Sadly, none of this really excites me too much. I think I need to see the special features of this console, the new games, and how they're controlled before I become excited.

TekkenMaster said:
I hope Retro has something other than Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 to show at E3.

Metroid HD, Zelda HD, Starfox HD, F-Zero HD, Original IP HD....just please show something that can truly show off the power of the Wii 2.
Personally, I think that an all-out DKC Returns 2 would show off the power of any system very well.

Why would you do that? said:
Sadly, none of this really excites me too much. I think I need to see the special features of this console, the new games, and how they're controlled before I become excited.

Personally, I think that an all-out DKC Returns 2 would show off the power of any system very well.

How so? The visual style is inherently cartoony and lacking in detail compared to a Metroid Prime type game.

lockload

I find this all slightly bizarre why wouldn't we expect a console released in 2012 to be more powerful than one designed 7 or 8 years ago?

Instro

Why would you do that? said:

A 2.5D game to show off the power of a system? I dont think so.

bgassassin said:
Cafe = Gohan SSJ2

Now we're talking, I can actually relate to that analogy. :)

So then Wii = Kaio-Ken x20
360 = SSJ1
PS3= Ascended Saiyan
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

Let's use these as reference points from now on ;)

lockload said:
I find this all slightly bizarre why wouldn't we expect a console released in 2012 to be more powerful than one designed 7 or 8 years ago?

It's less a questions of "if it's more powerful" and more a question of "how much more powerful", which seems to be subjective, even with a good basis for speculation.

Sutton Dagger said:

360 = SSJ1
PS3= Ascended Saiyan
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

72rcep.jpg

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Sutton Dagger said:

360 = SSJ1
PS3= Cell
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

Fixed.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sutton Dagger said:

360 = SSJ1
PS3= Ascended Saiyan
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

No, 360 and Ps3 are a lot closer than that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
IGN's falling off. No random voxel speculation? No speculation about entirely NURBS based hardware? Real time ray tracing?

Now it's just, "It'll be more powerful." *sigh*

Freshmaker said:
IGN's falling off. No random voxel speculation? No speculation about entirely NURBS based hardware? Real time ray tracing?

Now it's just, "It'll be more powerful." *sigh*

No real time Leather Mapping?

NeoCross

Sutton Dagger said:

360 = SSJ1
PS3= Ascended Saiyan
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

So that puts the next PS/Xbox when they come out = Mystic Gohan most probably

Jin34

lockload said:

Because there are varying degrees of "more powerful". Even one of the much lower tier 4000 series cards would be more powerful, this puts it on the significantly more powerful level.

Krowley said:
So in essence, this is basically the generational leap we're looking at (with comparisons, albeit not in the right res or anything, for a layman)

http://i55.tinypic.com/15yual5.jpg

to

http://i52.tinypic.com/ou6q89.jpg

to

http://i56.tinypic.com/5k2ae1.jpg

to

http://i54.tinypic.com/savbs9.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, that shit looks great right there, but diminishing returns are definitely starting to kick in if next gen is going to be in that ballpark. Nobody is going to be able to blow people's minds quite as much as this gen did on a graphics level.

I would expect first gen/launch games would be close to that, but second and third gen should be where it's at. But I think it's things like what Team Bondi is doing with LA Noire that will separate games on next gen consoles.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I think the problem we are going to see is similar to the one that occurred this generation. Sony and Microsoft will still get the premiere hardware pushing games that will have to be scaled back to Nintendo's system. Especially when these things are going to be need to pushing games for the next 5-8 years at a time.

The Black Brad Pitt said:
I think the problem we are going to see is similar to the one that occurred this generation. Sony and Microsoft will still get the premiere hardware pushing games that will have to be scaled back to Nintendo's system. Especially when these things are going to be need to pushing games for the next 5-8 years at a time.

It won't be similar at all.
The power gap between the 360 and the Wii was an ocean.
The power gap between the Cafe and whatever the 720 will be will be closer to a puddle in comparison.

Olaeh

My hype levels are through the roof at this point...
Man, E3 can't come soon enough.
Also, love the DragonBall analogy, lol :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pretty great idea from IGN in theory, but their comments are just sort of not fair. They can't really tell me that they didn't see much improvement in Crysis 2 running at 50% better framerate and in true 1080p over constantly stuttery sub-720p console version using terrible temporal AA?

Also, their screenshots are horrible beyond belief and don't do their custom rig any justice. Not only they didn't post screens in true 1080p, with X360 side upscaled to 1080p like it would be on the same TV, but they captured interlaced screens which almost always make their custom rig screens look like total mess.

AceBandage said:
The power gap between the Cafe and whatever the 720 will be will be closer to a puddle in comparison.
Well, you can't know what's gonna be there in 2-3 years. If PS4/720 hardware allows for smooth running of a game that looks like that new Epic Samaritan demo, something like that certainly won't be doable on this level of hardware without some major scaling back.

lockload

AceBandage said:

No it wont, the 360 is 6 year old tech unless the wii2 is at lease twice as powerful it will be a big gap

lockload said:
No it wont, the 360 is 6 year old tech unless the wii2 is at lease twice as powerful it will be a big gap

Based on these specs, it's closer to 5 times as powerful.
And as it stands, there's nothing on the market currently or planned that will run on a console that would put it as far ahead as the 360 was over the Wii.

lockload said:

People are assuming that Microsoft won't make a big jump with their next console since they be wantin' dat moneyz.

antonz

For perspective the Original Flipper GPU could do about 8 GFLOPs. Hollywood probably does 10-12GFLOPS. 4850 does 1000 GFLOPs

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
TekkenMaster said:
I doubt EAD has anywhere near the HD development expertise that Retro does.

Retro is very likely more tuned in to HD programming (complex shaders, etc) than EAD is.
I doubt that's true, especially since their engineering team saw the biggest hit after MP3 to the point where they had to assign a new person to direct their team with DKCR.

Yoshiaki Koizumi does great work too, I think SMG still looks better than any Retro game on Wii. If EAD pulls together they should be fine.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sutton Dagger said:

360 = SSJ1
PS3= Ascended Saiyan
Project Cafe' = SSJ2

Dreamcast 2=Broly SSJ3

The Black Brad Pitt said:

you're not taking in a lot of changed variables between now and 2005/2006
namely :
a) how large the gap between Café and ps4/NeXtbox will be technical wise
b) the launch order
c) developers outlook/expectations of nintendo.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Nirolak said:
Hmm... not quite in the PS2->PS3 sense, but it's a lot better than I was expecting.

Maybe a Dreamcast sense isn't too far off, but we'd really need to know more about the RAM and the modifications to know which side of the Dreamcast fence it's on.

If they aggressively modified though and went all out on RAM, it'd be pretty close to a full generation leap.
I don't know about that, a 4850 is only like 3-4x more powerful than the Xenos in the 360. I would only call something proper next gen if it has at leat the power of a GTX 580 in there which is more than 10x faster than the Xenos in the 360.

There's also the chance that Nintendo are going to go with only 1GB of GDDR5 which will cripple the console.

Instro

AceBandage said:

Or rather if the Cafe is SS2, the xbox 720 would be Majin Vegeta.

Mr_Brit said:
I don't know about that, a 4850 is only like 3-4x more powerful than the Xenos in the 360. I would only call something proper next gen if it has at leat the power of a GTX 580 in there which is more than 10x faster than the Xenos in the 360.

There's also the chance that Nintendo are going to go with only 1GB of GDDR5 which will cripple the console.

Well then, the 720 and PS4 won't be next gen either...

To me, it feels like Nintendo is coming out of their Wii leadership, with all of these new people who have experience the Wii and Nintendo games and intend(o) to bring them into the HD age with a powerful machine.

Imagine the sorts of things we are going to see in a HD super powerful Mario game.... If it's Back Compatible and displays all of the Wii games in proper HD then I am very happy that I skipped over playing all of the Wii games since Mario Galaxy since I can now go back and play them all in nice and clean HD. Galaxy 2 in HD will be glorious!

But, the idea of a ground up Mario Galaxy game for this system tickles me pink.

I think overall this system, if it turns out to be the way it sounds like it's going to be, is going to be exactly what I wanted Nintendo to do. I've always been such a Nintendo fan, but during the Wii generation I almost completely turned away from them, and that makes me sad - if they're coming back into my ball park, that makes me happy!

Nintendo did what they had to during the Wii generation, but they always seem to turn different places here and there this way and that way. High quality screen in controller, with these high powered graphics is a fantastic step in the right direction for ME, but will it be a step in the right direction for them? We know that typically Nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft at their own game so they still need to approach the market differently, they still need to hit the gamers girlfriends, they still need to hit that market that they hit with the Wii.

This E3 will be the best ever.

apana

Krowley said:
So in essence, this is basically the generational leap we're looking at (with comparisons, albeit not in the right res or anything, for a layman)

Now don't get me wrong, that shit looks great right there, but diminishing returns are definitely starting to kick in if next gen is going to be in that ballpark. Nobody is going to be able to blow people's minds quite as much as this gen did on a graphics level.

Damn Mario 64 is still the best looking game out of all of those in terms of my preference. Witcher 2 can be ported to 360 correct? So how is it a next gen game?

Xavien

lockload said:

You're assuming ofcourse that we're not at the point of severe diminishing returns when it comes to visuals in games?

The fact is an Xbox 720 could be 50 times more powerful than Cafe but the gulf between Cafe and 720 would be much much smaller than between the Wii and 360. In addition, the Cafe will be outputting at a HD resolution via HDMI, by that feature alone dramatically cuts any gap between the Cafe and a future MS/Sony console, unless everyone switches to 4K TV's over the next 5 years or so (highly unlikely).

Lenardo

Banned
i priced out there spec and i don't get to 400 dollars

i do get to- this is retail mind you-

350 dollars

cpu 80
motherboard 50
hdd- 40- a 250gig hdd at that too :)
ddr3 ram 24
the 4850 video card is 115
micro atx case with power supply 40

total of 349 dollars

no idea where ign is getting their prices...

if i can build that spec for 350

chances are if that spec is close,,,299 tops for the "cafe" depending on the controller

Top Bottom