• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:PS5, Xbox Series X Year 3 Report Card(Xbox S: B PS5: C)

Just for 2023 right?

I'd lower both scores quite a bit tho, meh year first party wise.

Sadly 2024 isn't looking too hot either, we'll see if something gets announced in TGA but oof

Zones

good-joke.gif

This has been the worst gen in the history of this medium.
If the industry goes belly up - it wont be a shock why.

I truly believe all the best talent dried up and left years ago - these new designers just dont got it.
Years and years of rougelikes, battle royales, gaas, easy as pie games - its all just crap.
Lol what? 2023 has been one of the best years in gaming especially when accounting for high-quality single-player game releases.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Makes not a lick of sense but ok. It’s Ryan Mcdumb though so it does make sense, the guy who gave 9.5 to Halo 4 and called it one of the best FPS campaigns ever made this side of Half Life 2. The guy who asked for a job at Xbox, on Twitter. That guy.

Lowered expectations.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Just going by these scores, it only shows how irrelevant MS is.

Even if they had a better score for 2023, they're still getting outsold by even Portal in certain markets (while selling Series S at same price).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
IGN is a joke.

Which console is in demand by the consumers? Yeah, we all know the answer to that.

Clearly, Sony is doing something right with the PS5. The consumers have voted with their wallets. So how the F do they give the PS5 a lower grade?

Because they had one game this year from their First party Studios?

You cant just be happy Sony are selling well, so they deserve a good score? doesnt matter how bad their release schedule is for a year as long as the console is selling? We need to demand more. :)

I loved Spider Man 2 but outside of that the year has been dog shit!

yazenov

You cant just be happy Sony are selling well, so they deserve a good score? doesnt matter how bad their release schedule is for a year as long as the console is selling? We need to demand more. :)

You're ignoring all the 3rd party games that didn't come out on the Xbox such as Balder's Gate 3, Final Fantasy 16, Star Ocean 2 remake, PSVR 2 games, Octopath Traveler 2, Honkai Star Rail, Fate/Samurai Remnant etc...

They mentioned a tiny game like Hi-Fi Rush but failed to mention other games on PS5.

Yeah, PS5 had a better year without question because they appeal to more consumers with 1st party and 3rd party games.

Last edited:

GHG

Ah yes, that fantasy world where only Spiderman 2 released on the PS5.

So myopic it's not even worth entertaining. People must be purchasing those PS5s for the hell of it.

Last edited:

Technically they had four 1st party releases this calendar year: Horizon Call of the Mountain, MLB The Show 23, Destiny 2 Light Fall and Spider-Man 2.
Oh and also the Burning Shores DLC for Horizon FW.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What got me was them harping on about stuff like backwards compatibility and fps boost on Xbox as ongoing advantages when I'm pretty sure that MS themselves have admitted that they've done as much as they can already with those programs. Especially when -unless I'm missing something- there appears to be way more older games available on Plus than on Gamepass!

Maybe the experience is different if you have a series X and a stack of 360 and One discs already, but if you have a Series S and are just jumping in this gen, looking through the GamePass games list there isn't an awful lot of older titles to pick from.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Are you and them rating the platform or PlayStation studios?

It was the best year in gaming in a good while, and as far as exclusives go how did Xbox do any better than PlayStation anyway?

Sony might not give us amazing releases all the time, but they've had far more than Xbox since 2020. I'd say they've improved PlayStation Plus, but putting the price up recently hurts it a bit. Game Pass is overpriced, and I'd say it's nowhere as appealing as it was. And... after the Activision sale went through, you can expect the price for Game Pass to go up a lot more.

To sit there and say that Xbox is a B and Sony is a C is a joke. Xbox has had a terrible year. Starfield is one of the biggest flops of all time (it cost over 500m). Heck, Xbox has been truly awful since 2020. Xbox Series S is useless for the most part.

Really pointless to have a debate with people who are clearly Xbox fanboys.

Top Bottom