• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:PS5, Xbox Series X Year 3 Report Card(Xbox S: B PS5: C)

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'd give both a D-

This generation is really dull and unimpressive across the board

And this is why Xbox will continue to fail. They rely on paid shills, instead of delivering on high quality games. And those who aren't paid still shill for them, even when they don't deliver. Hell, they praise them for reversals on horrible decisions, even when they praised or pretended to understand those horrible decisions in the first place.

Xbox fans, demand better.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
Because they had one game this year from their First party Studios?

You cant just be happy Sony are selling well, so they deserve a good score? doesnt matter how bad their release schedule is for a year as long as the console is selling? We need to demand more. :)

I loved Spider Man 2 but outside of that the year has been dog shit!

Please do tell us all the amazing firstparty games that’s been released on Xbox????? 🤣

What metric are we using here???

MC scores? Sales? Less shiitty games released?

At least the PS5 is still dominating the sales chartz. Which is the most important metric to determine the success of any gaming console. I mean loooolz imagine having to tell a grown up what 1+1 equals to ….

Last edited:
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

The moral of the story? Ryan shouldn't be allowed to have permanent markers.

ReBurn

Gold Member
And this is why Xbox will continue to fail. They rely on paid shills, instead of delivering on high quality games. And those who aren't paid still shill for them, even when they don't deliver. Hell, they praise them for reversals on horrible decisions, even when they praised or pretended to understand those horrible decisions in the first place.

If Microsoft is paying they should have kicked in a few extra bucks for a better Starfield score.

Mephisto40

If Microsoft is paying they should have kicked in a few extra bucks for a better Starfield score.
It's probably written in Ryan McCaffrey's contract with Microsoft that the payments he receives cant effect review scores

Saying that the last XBox game he actually reviewed for IGN was Halo : Infinite, which he gave a 9/10, that pretty much tells you everything

King Dazzar

That Ryan guy. Fuck me. He says how excited he is for 2024 and Xbox and its going to be really good. Then literally says nothing of any substance as to why apart from Activision/Blizzard stuff coming to Game Pass and Final Fantasy XIV. And a B so far?? I'm all for a positive take, but this is blatant delusional shilling.

I thought Max came across fairly humble and grounded and with some fair Sony communication critique.

Enjoyed the show though. Even if its out there in an alternative reality, orbiting Neptune in terms of what was said.

Reave

This thread is going to be an emotional shitshow, haha.

Contrary to what most of this forum swears is gospel, Xbox had a decent year despite some obvious shortcomings. Same goes for PlayStation.

Frankly, I think they both had a B-tier year, just for vastly different reasons.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are you and them rating the platform or PlayStation studios?

It was the best year in gaming in a good while, and as far as exclusives go how did Xbox do any better than PlayStation anyway?

It was the best year in gaming for a long time, but I have a PC as well as a PS5 and my PS5 was turned on twice this year. once for FF16 which I regret more than any other game in recent years and Spider man 2 which I loved. so, basically ive had like 40 hours of good use out of my PS5 this year.

Roxkis_ii

I used to think the same thing, but MS doesn't have to pay people to make this kind of content. Any good news for Xbox, or bad news for Sony will get flooded with "engagement" from the Xbox fandom, and also serves as rage bait to Sony fanboys who can smell the bull shit from a mile away.

Anyone with a shread of objectiveness will know Xbox isn't completive with the PS5 (which is reflected in the console sales). Xbox fans don't have reality to count on for wins, so any opinion out of someone's ass that can be counted as a win for Xbox will have people flooded to it like a warm fire in the winter.

missiles

All I play on my Series X is old shit. The state of Xbox first party is a disgrace. Halo and Gears should be absolutely essential showcases for the system by now but they're both on their knees following the worst entries in their respective franchises.

Nothing at all new of note. No interesting new IP paving the way for the future. No interesting uses of already established classic Xbox IP.

Gamepass full of indie shovelware and lately, weeaboo shit.

The console itself, the hardware and controller are all lovely. Just completely let down by a remarkable lack of software. I really worry about all the studios MS have bought as they clearly know fuck all about managing their output.

Dismal.

Sony's first party franchises look so samey and formulaic I can't even be fucked to care.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
All I play on my Series X is old shit. The state of Xbox first party is a disgrace. Halo and Gears should be absolutely essential showcases for the system by now but they're both on their knees following the worst entries in their respective franchises.

Nothing at all new of note. No interesting new IP paving the way for the future. No interesting uses of already established classic Xbox IP.

Gamepass full of indie shovelware and lately, weeaboo shit.

The console itself, the hardware and controller are all lovely. Just completely let down by a remarkable lack of software. I really worry about all the studios MS have bought as they clearly know fuck all about managing their output.

Dismal.

Sony's first party franchises look so samey and formulaic I can't even be fucked to care.

Agreed man.

Sold my XSX for the reasons stated above.

Bought a PS5 and...i'm enjoying it but that's mostly 'cause i missed some of the PS4's "bangers" when they came out (FF7RE/Ghost of Tsushima/TLOU2/Days Gone etc).
I mean, i am having fun but those are really PS4 games at heart and as for the PS5 exclusives...GOW Ragnarok is more of the same, not interested in ratchet and clank and the only nice ones for me have been Demon's souls and Returnal.

Don't know, besides the technical advancements (quick resume/NVME drives/higher resolutions @ higher framerates) this gen has been kinda disappointing for both makers/companies, very, VERY few new IPs, not that many releases in 3 years (2023 has been good so far though) and mostly, i've been feeling like i'm just playing cross-gen shit.

Now, compare that to the PS4 gen which was full of bangers and there's just no comparison.

This whole gen feels like a "C" (not even B- ) at best.

I don't know how they can sit there with a straight face and try to make out the xbox is in any way competing with the PS5

But Gamepass…

I Cant Season 1 GIF by The Roku Channel

There are literally 0 things ms did with Xbox that’s either as good or better than ps5 did. It also shows in the complete absence of sales and other stuff.

IGN gonna IGN I guess. I would score Xbox a D and Sony a B, yes also Sony can do a lot better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didnt buy Forspoken after playing the awful demo. FF16 had its moments and Spiderman 2 is simply fantastic.

I thought Hifi Rush was forgettable. Redfall looked awful. Starfield is one of the most disappointing games ive played and Forza was decent. If a bit too samey despite the 6 year gap. Still one good game out of 4 isnt my idea of a B, maybe they really liked hifi rush but then again, they didnt care for Starfield so not sure why its B.

Id give Xbox a C and the PS5 a B-. Id give my PC a D+ for all the fucking shit they put me through and Nintendo a B for releasing exclusives my son can play. ToTK is my goty but man Nintendo's other video games are just not for me.

Last edited:

Three

Because they had one game this year from their First party Studios?

You cant just be happy Sony are selling well, so they deserve a good score? doesnt matter how bad their release schedule is for a year as long as the console is selling? We need to demand more. :)

I loved Spider Man 2 but outside of that the year has been dog shit!
Watch the vid. This isn't a report card for XGS/PS studios. This is a report card for the console. If you see the video they mention BG3, FF16, etc. The console had a great release schedule.

PS getting a C with Xbox getting a B...hmm. Not sure that adds up for what you can play right now so far in 2023 on the each system. Doubt it adds up even doing some Metacritic/sales comparisons. Really sure that makes no sense with comparisons for hardware that came out this year.

Price increases and the sparse releases cement PS as a solid B- at the least. Xbox getting a B for this year makes absolutely no sense unless you're working on the "it really does get better next year, trust us guys" mentality going against even having a current report card at all.

Do better IGN.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Couple of Quick questions:

What scores were you getting in HiFi Rush?

Are you good at playing music or did you learn the game?

Just curious. One thing I won't forget this year is, playing to the music in this game.
I am not into rhythm games and the last one i played was jet set radio which i also thought was forgettable.

i was hoping for a more traditional action adventure game but I didnt understand the rhtyym combat at all. The story and campaign didnt do much for me, though i did quit it very early on. just didnt see anything that would grab me.

Top Bottom