• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN:PS5, Xbox Series X Year 3 Report Card(Xbox S: B PS5: C)

Crayon

No, the closest would be Matt Casamassina who did Nintendo coverage but he left in 2010. Matt was also way more dignified when he had to cover things outside of Nintendo.

Oh I also remember shane beten... something. From the one up podcast and I think they were from ign. He was a pony. But there has been a small list of unambiogous higher-profile xbox boosters. Like the dont read too much into it guy and corden. Anyone let me know if you remember if there were more lol. I can only come up with three from memory but it seems like they've always been around.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Drop your own Persecution Complex before you claim others have one.
Dan Stapleton reviewed Starfield (and got so much hate for it)

he’s not the one who graded either console in this video

Is that the PS fanboy cos playing as Kratos? Surely we can trust him to be unbiased reviewing an Xbox game. :pie_gsquint:

The persecution complex exhibited in this thread is VERY strong.

FgRfdGUUoAAqtt_

Last edited:
IMO this year alone has been great for ps5 if you include the excellent psvr2 and it’s top 25 games as seen in VGA nominations. Resident Evil 8 and GT7 in VR have not been beat by any other piece of software.

In terms of console exclusives this gen, PS5 is comfortably on top between the big three as seen on metacritic.

You can’t spell ignorance without IGN.

MarkMe2525

That's the point - it wasn't true that they were both good. PS4 was so far beyond the Xbox One especially at launch that they should have discussed that. It's ok to call a trash system trash and IGN punted on that, probably because they did not want to piss off a major hardware maker or the fanboys on that side. My point is that they are doing that again. This whole "Xbox tax" narrative is insane when in reality MS has gotten far more favorable converge than they deserve since at least 2013.
I'm not going to get into this "narrative" debate, as that feels like you are trying to drive the discussion into new waters.

As far as you other "point", isn't it more likely that many just don't agree with your opinion. Millions of people bought an Xb1 and millions of them enjoyed it. You are allowed to think of the Xb1 is a "trash system", but one should not question someone else's credibility based on the fact that they don't agree with you, as your opinion is in no way ground truth.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think both platforms have been pretty disappointing this generation and I've switched to primarly playing on PC and Switch because of it.

PS5: C-
  • Have not delivered the knock-out 1st party games that they've become known for. Horizon and Spider-Man 2 and others are great, but they aren't reaching the heights of the Uncharted/Last of Us/Bloodborne/etc.. games from past generations
  • The nickel-and-diming approach to PS4->PS5 upgrades, leading the price increase to $70 games, PS+ tiers being disappointing and overpriced, etc.. etc..
  • Slow to the draw with QOL/feature support like VRR, Dolby Atmos, wireless controller updates, Quick Resume, etc... it shouldn't take years for these features to arrive like they have.
  • Failed peripherals like PSVR2, and their "committment" to GAAS games followed by massively scaling back on GAAS games show that the powers that be at Playstation have a fragmented vision right now
  • Disappointing "slim" SKU that looks and feels really cheap and actually increased the price of the digital console.

Xbox: D
  • While they're providing many more 1st party games than last generation, they still haven't reached that 90+ height with any of their titles outside of Forza Horizon.
  • Quality/oversight clearly has failed them consistently this generation, whether it's with Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport, or Redfall. Incomplete and/or undercooked games can NO LONGER fly for this company.
  • Despite having the power advantage on paper, their Series X hardware has proven to perform no better than the PS5, and it can be argued that it actually performs slightly worse on the whole.
  • They seem to be struggling with their vision, which was very heavy on xCloud/game streaming at the end of last generation and the beginning of this generation, but now seems all but abandoned.
  • Game Pass has struggled to grow at the pace that they clearly hoped it would. They've put all of their chips into the Game Pass basket, and if they can't convince more consumers to subscribe, the Xbox brand is trouble.
  • Speaking of the Xbox brand, it's grown toxic to consumers after years of mismanagement, poor communication, inconsistent games, unreliable hardware (360 era), etc... At this point, even if they started doing everything right from today on, it would likely take many, many years before consumers started warming to the brand again.
IGN's report card is just for year 3, not the first three years, but I agree. Both have been lacking. it's basically a race to the bottom. Who can be worse. Who can disappoint their fanbase the most. Jim Ryan recently said that he feels accountable to Playstations fanbase. he's shown that with his reversal of the PS vita and PS3 store closing decisions among other reversals, but overall, he's been completely out of touch with the fanbase. We dont want GaaS games, we dont want needless remakes, we dont want cross gen games. This is Sony. They dont do cross gen. They built their name on next gen exclusives. Meanwhile, Philbo is in touch with his fanbase but just lies his ass off to just appease them. Remember at launch when he said that the dualsense is amazing and MS will work on their own verison of it? Well, its been three fucking years and no haptics still. So he just says things to say them.

i was watching the DF direct just now and they were discussing sales of Xbox collapsing in europe. John listed a bunch of MS exclusives in the first three years of that gen and at least in numbers, there were far more games than what Phil has managed.

Launch: Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Ryse, Dead Rising 3
Year 1: Titanfall, Sunset, Forza Horizon 2
year 2: Halo 5 Guardians, Forza 6
year 3: Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4

XSX:
Launch: Fuck all
Year 1: Flight Sim, Halo infinite, Forza Horizon 5
Year 2: Fuck all
Year 3: Hifi Rush, Redfail, Starfield, Forza 8

It's obvious that Don matrick had lined up a way better line up for the first 3 years than Phil. And it wouldve been even better had Phil not cancelled Scalebound and Fable 4 after taking over. And he didnt have to spend $8 billion on Zenimax to do it either.

Meanwhile Sony didnt have a great first 2 years with PS4, but by year 3, they were back on track with three must have games in BB, U4 and TLG.
Launch: Killzone Shadowfail, resogun
Year 1: infamous, driveclub
Year 2: order, bloodborne, until dawn
year 3: Ratchet remake, uncharted 4, The last guardian

PS5
Launch: Demon Souls remake, Spiderman Miles DLC, Astrobot pack-in
Year 1: Returnal, Ratchet
Year 2: Cross gen Horizon, GT7 and GOW. TLOU remake.
year 3: Forspoken, FF16, Spiderman 2

You put PS5's lineup against the PS4 and even the X1, and i dont think it wins. Remakes, DLCs, cross gen games. What is going on? Why was Astrobot not a full game? Where is the sequel? You remove the cross gen games and remakes, and it becomes almost as barebones as XSX's exclusive lineup. I disliked the order, ryse, and kzsf, but i bought them day one to experience next gen. I havent gotten that moment yet from the PS5. We are three years in.

Whats more insane is that PS4 had a worse first three years than the PS3.
Launch: resistance
Year 1: Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet, Uncharted
Year 2: MGS4, LBP, Socom, Resistance 2, motorstorm pacific rift.
year 3: KZ2, Infamous, Ratchet Crack in Time, uncharted 2

Whats even worse is that next year is barebones for both console makers. We would be lucky to get one exclusive each from them. hellblade 2 and FF7, and FF7 isnt even first party. Both need a kick in the ass from their fanbase and the media. Hopefully sony sees this C from IGN and reevaluates some of their decision making. Fucking Bluepoint, bend and Sucker punch shouldnt be taking 3+ years just to reveal a game. Not every studio from sony needs to take 5 years to release a game. Save that for the big boys like SSM, GG and ND. Some studios should be on 2-3 year cycles like insomniac. Make 15-20 hour games. They still sell well. Same goes for MS. Why is initiative unable to make a game worth showing in 5 years? Whats Coalition been doing for the last 4 years? NOTHING to show in FOUR years??? If its lack of resources, go hire all the devs laid off recently. If they are too expensive then stop wasting time on DLCs, remakes and cross gen games.

recursive

Sony might not give us amazing releases all the time, but they've had far more than Xbox since 2020. I'd say they've improved PlayStation Plus, but putting the price up recently hurts it a bit. Game Pass is overpriced, and I'd say it's nowhere as appealing as it was. And... after the Activision sale went through, you can expect the price for Game Pass to go up a lot more.

To sit there and say that Xbox is a B and Sony is a C is a joke. Xbox has had a terrible year. Starfield is one of the biggest flops of all time (it cost over 500m). Heck, Xbox has been truly awful since 2020. Xbox Series S is useless for the most part.

Really pointless to have a debate with people who are clearly Xbox fanboys.
But its such a cute little box!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It is an opinion.

Facts:
-Sony released 2 1st party exclusives (good-great) Spiderman 2, call of the mountain VR(average)
-Raised online prices by 33% with nothing of value added
-released a $500 piece of hardware that they have barley supported
-had a showcase that didn’t seem to excite many people

-Xbox released 4 1st party exclusives. Hi fi rush (Good-Great) Redfall (bad-average) although with the 60 fps update I’d say it’s more average-good now, Starfield (good-amazing), forza Motorsport(good-great)
-raised GP prices 10-15%
-released a new series s with a bigger hard drive(fine)
-pretty great year for day one Gamepass games, 4 first party games, lies of p, atomic heart, cocoon, payday 3, planet of Lana, ghostwire, wo long.
- had a pretty stellar showcase that lets you know what you will be playing in the next couple years.

I have both consoles and have used my ps5 for Spiderman 2 only. I use my Xbox for everything else. Again this is only my opinion trying to look at it objectively.

Questions.....

- Why would someone not grade the PS5 Slim then?
- Having a PSVR2 is 100% better than not having any VR device to play with your console. This isn't an opinion. It's a fact. So you can't take points away from Sony on this when it is supported.
- The PS Portal has been released and people are enjoying it. How would that "NOT" help the PS5's case here?
- If the media and people have spoken.......then how are we acting as if Starfield is good-amazing?
- Why wouldn't someone add in FF16 for the PS5?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
None of this matters Max haven't been thrilled with playstation all generation he's always smug when talking about it while weirdly praising Xbox, hell Ryan says better things about playstation than Max and its been that way for a while. The American media throughout this whole generation have just been embarrassing any slight hiccup from Sony and the sky is falling while giving Microsoft a pass after pass I still can't believe the series x launch line up wasn't panned Nintendo or Sony would never get away with that and people wonder why the brand is damaged past actions lead to future consequences. Cross-gen or not Sony have built up a nice first party/2nd & 3rd party exclusive portfolio for new owners no matter how the media continues to lie to people they're not stupid. I've always wondered how the media coverage would be when Xbox finally gets its act together my theory is they'll go negative..

Greg at Kinda Funny has been doing that same stuff about Playstation too. He was literally "the" PS guy at IGN years ago and now he easily praises most things Xbox and finds it harder and harder to get props to Playstation when they do well. It's very odd.

Maybe it is all a play for media access.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not going to get into this "narrative" debate, as that feels like you are trying to drive the discussion into new waters.

As far as you other "point", isn't it more likely that many just don't agree with your opinion. Millions of people bought an Xb1 and millions of them enjoyed it. You are allowed to think of the Xb1 is a "trash system", but one should not question someone else's credibility based on the fact that they don't agree with you, as your opinion is in no way ground truth.
I've mentioned this before but I had the system near launch. I don't want to get into all the problems with it, but it was basically everything. It absolutely was a total piece of shit. I got a PS4 a year later, and yea it was just a lot better. Over the years MS addressed many of those problems, but that's not what I am talking about. I am saying that a site like IGN has a duty to their readers to call a spade a spade and they just don't do that and haven't done it for a long time, probably because they don't want to piss off "console warriors".

This weird idea that all these systems have to be broadly equivalent because some people like them just doesn't make any sense. It's fair to criticize and it's fair to review.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It's all subjective, the sooner you stop taking it to heart, the sooner you'll have more fun with it.
you are right about one thing though, and that's not to take this shit to heart, but I am not not taking it to heart because is subjective. but because its just misleading.

In what world, by what metric, does anyone want to with a straight face, say that Xbox has been the better platform for the last 3 years?

that conclusion even goes against what they have peddled on their own website.

PS5 is a B- so far but Xbox is a D- or an F. I don’t know how any one with a straight face can say Xbox has had a better 3 years than the PS5 with the disappointments that were Redfall, Halo Infinite, Forza Motorsport, and Starfield. Xbox Series consoles have some of the worst first party content in console history lol and the sales show this. They probably did this so that Xbox fanboys crying about the “Xbox tax” wouldn’t come after them 🤣

Last edited:
How dare they have a different opinion than NeoGAF!
Right, because there are no biased and or bought opinions. Rolls eyes.

Their opinion is purely nonsense when you realize they are evaluating the first 3 years, (not the 3rd year only) and in terms of any objective measure it was annihilation on the part of PlayStation 5 and a falling on ones arse on the part of Xbox Series. One had good console exclusives, the other really didn’t.

Their opinion is purely nonsense when you realize they are evaluating the first 3 years, (not the 3rd year only) and in terms of any objective measure it was annihilation on the part of PlayStation 5 and a falling on ones arse on the part of Xbox Series. One had good console exclusives, the other really didn’t.
Yea, if it was a review of only this year I could see how IGN’s review could be a valid opinion but when you realize they are evaluating the whole gen then you realize how much of a joke IGN is.

Xbox’s 2022 should automatically give them an F if we are being truly objective here. The worst year for any console I’ve ever seen in my 34 years of gaming.

This kind of shilling from IGN is why MS is in the predicament they are in right now with the total failure of the Xbox brand.

Last edited:

sendit

This year has been pretty good for Xbox in my opinion, their first party games have been cool and there is a very good support from third parties.
Starfield while good is not generational defining like some believed it to be prior to release.

Forza Motorsport fell flat on its face with a 2 year old release from a competing product stomps all over it.

Last edited:

Are you saying PS5 is better because of sales? Are you saying everyone has to love all the exclusives it has so far? The first is objective, the latter subjective. Maybe they are looking through the subscription service angle where some think Game Pass was considerably better than PS+ so far.

As far as system speed and interface, Series X is much snappier and responsive, and easier to navigate. Series has better bc and cloud features right now as well. Most other things are pretty equal.

In the end it just comes down to a matter of personal preference as to what features are more useful to each individual and what they like and value more.

Are you saying PS5 is better because of sales? Are you saying everyone has to love all the exclusives it has so far? The first is objective, the latter subjective. Maybe they are looking through the subscription service angle where some think Game Pass was considerably better than PS+ so far.

As far as system speed and interface, Series X is much snappier and responsive, and easier to navigate. Series has better bc and cloud features right now as well. Most other things are pretty equal.

In the end it just comes down to a matter of personal preference as to what features are more useful to each individual and what they like and value more.
You bring up some interesting points. I am referring to the games only. Where it’s been one sided. PS5 has better and higher rated exclusives. Even multiplats are superior on ps5. I think that the things you mention are very insignificant or just opinion based. The world at large would disagree with IGNs (and your) sentiment as well.

Last edited:

SimTourist

IGN's report card is just for year 3, not the first three years, but I agree. Both have been lacking. it's basically a race to the bottom. Who can be worse. Who can disappoint their fanbase the most. Jim Ryan recently said that he feels accountable to Playstations fanbase. he's shown that with his reversal of the PS vita and PS3 store closing decisions among other reversals, but overall, he's been completely out of touch with the fanbase. We dont want GaaS games, we dont want needless remakes, we dont want cross gen games. This is Sony. They dont do cross gen. They built their name on next gen exclusives. Meanwhile, Philbo is in touch with his fanbase but just lies his ass off to just appease them. Remember at launch when he said that the dualsense is amazing and MS will work on their own verison of it? Well, its been three fucking years and no haptics still. So he just says things to say them.

i was watching the DF direct just now and they were discussing sales of Xbox collapsing in europe. John listed a bunch of MS exclusives in the first three years of that gen and at least in numbers, there were far more games than what Phil has managed.

Launch: Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Ryse, Dead Rising 3
Year 1: Titanfall, Sunset, Forza Horizon 2
year 2: Halo 5 Guardians, Forza 6
year 3: Quantum Break, Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4

XSX:
Launch: Fuck all
Year 1: Flight Sim, Halo infinite, Forza Horizon 5
Year 2: Fuck all
Year 3: Hifi Rush, Redfail, Starfield, Forza 8

It's obvious that Don matrick had lined up a way better line up for the first 3 years than Phil. And it wouldve been even better had Phil not cancelled Scalebound and Fable 4 after taking over. And he didnt have to spend $8 billion on Zenimax to do it either.

Meanwhile Sony didnt have a great first 2 years with PS4, but by year 3, they were back on track with three must have games in BB, U4 and TLG.
Launch: Killzone Shadowfail, resogun
Year 1: infamous, driveclub
Year 2: order, bloodborne, until dawn
year 3: Ratchet remake, uncharted 4, The last guardian

PS5
Launch: Demon Souls remake, Spiderman Miles DLC, Astrobot pack-in
Year 1: Returnal, Ratchet
Year 2: Cross gen Horizon, GT7 and GOW. TLOU remake.
year 3: Forspoken, FF16, Spiderman 2

You put PS5's lineup against the PS4 and even the X1, and i dont think it wins. Remakes, DLCs, cross gen games. What is going on? Why was Astrobot not a full game? Where is the sequel? You remove the cross gen games and remakes, and it becomes almost as barebones as XSX's exclusive lineup. I disliked the order, ryse, and kzsf, but i bought them day one to experience next gen. I havent gotten that moment yet from the PS5. We are three years in.

Whats more insane is that PS4 had a worse first three years than the PS3.
Launch: resistance
Year 1: Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet, Uncharted
Year 2: MGS4, LBP, Socom, Resistance 2, motorstorm pacific rift.
year 3: KZ2, Infamous, Ratchet Crack in Time, uncharted 2

Whats even worse is that next year is barebones for both console makers. We would be lucky to get one exclusive each from them. hellblade 2 and FF7, and FF7 isnt even first party. Both need a kick in the ass from their fanbase and the media. Hopefully sony sees this C from IGN and reevaluates some of their decision making. Fucking Bluepoint, bend and Sucker punch shouldnt be taking 3+ years just to reveal a game. Not every studio from sony needs to take 5 years to release a game. Save that for the big boys like SSM, GG and ND. Some studios should be on 2-3 year cycles like insomniac. Make 15-20 hour games. They still sell well. Same goes for MS. Why is initiative unable to make a game worth showing in 5 years? Whats Coalition been doing for the last 4 years? NOTHING to show in FOUR years??? If its lack of resources, go hire all the devs laid off recently. If they are too expensive then stop wasting time on DLCs, remakes and cross gen games.
Yeah, we're almost halfway through this generation and there's not much to show for it be it 1st or 3rd party games.

MarkMe2525

I've mentioned this before but I had the system near launch. I don't want to get into all the problems with it, but it was basically everything. It absolutely was a total piece of shit. I got a PS4 a year later, and yea it was just a lot better. Over the years MS addressed many of those problems, but that's not what I am talking about. I am saying that a site like IGN has a duty to their readers to call a spade a spade and they just don't do that and haven't done it for a long time, probably because they don't want to piss off "console warriors".

This weird idea that all these systems have to be broadly equivalent because some people like them just doesn't make any sense. It's fair to criticize and it's fair to review.
Lol ok dude...You are totally in the right to have an opinion. I just don't follow your logic. You say "it's fair to criticize and review" immediately after bringing issue to a gaming outlet for reviewing the Xb1 and finding it to be a "good system", despite its flaws. Sounds like you mean "it's fair to criticize and review if it aligns with my opinion."

Last edited:
This has been the worst gen in the history of this medium.
If the industry goes belly up - it wont be a shock why.

I truly believe all the best talent dried up and left years ago - these new designers just dont got it.
Years and years of rougelikes, battle royales, gaas, easy as pie games - its all just crap.
I agree except for roguelikes. We don't have enough traditional ones. I guess if you despise the genre or are console centric, you would say this, but we didn't have many for years. Also they are usually indy games. There hasn't been a AAA roguelike outside of Shiren the wanderer. The other AAA games take roguelike procedural generation, but that's about all.

The worst thing to me is the shit writing and wokism creeping in. Taking away beauty for blandness. Nothing is hyper masculine or feminine. Just look at the shit npcs and characters in starfield. The new fable lady, saints row reboot, Andromeda, etc.. It feels like fanfic sometimes too as many of the good writers like Chris avellone have been canceled for bs. Or the original members have left /retired, the bioware doctors, carmack, Romero, houser bros (gta), etc... The teams arent the same. It's filled with college people obsessed with ideology over making a good game.

We do have some great games, but many are coming in from Japan or Eastern Europe. Robocop was amazing. Hogwarts legacy, and elden ring are amazing too. Baldurs gate 3.totk. But that's not that many great games. We used to get so much more. It's now a slow drip once or twice a year.

Top Bottom